LTH Home

Honey Butter Fried Chicken...Hallelujah and Amen!

Honey Butter Fried Chicken...Hallelujah and Amen!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - October 22nd, 2013, 10:17 pm
    Post #61 - October 22nd, 2013, 10:17 pm Post #61 - October 22nd, 2013, 10:17 pm
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:When Webster's publishes a definition for "Beanplating," I hope they link to this thread.

Not this thread, Jim? Carry on, all.
  • Post #62 - October 23rd, 2013, 7:34 am
    Post #62 - October 23rd, 2013, 7:34 am Post #62 - October 23rd, 2013, 7:34 am
    JimInLoganSquare wrote:When Webster's publishes a definition for "Beanplating," I hope they link to this thread.

Personally, I think Independent George has a point. It was probably an oversight on Sula's part, but when you make a big deal about how deboning a chicken reduces its flavor, and implicitly criticize a restaurant for doing it, I think you have an obligation to describe how the chicken you tasted there is evidence of that claim.

I suppose I wouldn't be as invested in George's argument if I didn't think the breast at Honey Butter was the best I've ever had. (I may have had dark meat that compared to that at Honey Butter, but never white meat.) I know the opinion is not universally shared, but I urge others to try the chicken at Honey Butter before deciding whether theoretical considerations about the presence or absence of bones should predominate.
  • Post #63 - October 23rd, 2013, 10:00 am
    Post #63 - October 23rd, 2013, 10:00 am Post #63 - October 23rd, 2013, 10:00 am
    riddlemay wrote:It was probably an oversight on Sula's part, but when you make a big deal about how deboning a chicken reduces its flavor, and implicitly criticize a restaurant for doing it, I think you have an obligation to describe how the chicken you tasted there is evidence of that claim.

Or it could have been an editor.

In any case . . .

Mike Sula wrote:That is to say nothing of the fact that bones impart flavor to any piece of meat when cooked­—just as they do to water when making stock.
    . . . is enough for me. The rest is just parsing.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #64 - October 28th, 2013, 2:06 pm
    Post #64 - October 28th, 2013, 2:06 pm Post #64 - October 28th, 2013, 2:06 pm
    In the spirit of full-disclosure Chef/co-Owner Josh Kulp is my second cousin and I've been a fan of Sunday Night Dining Club for many years..

Saturday night - I finally got a chance to take my family (kids 7 and 3) to HBFC on Friday. We got there around 5:30 - and there was a wait - but not too bad for my kids.

I have to say - clearly the best Fried Chicken - and I'll say the same for the Mac & Cheese - I've ever had in my entire life. We got the 8 piece dinner (and took 2 pieces home). Four sides: Mac & Cheese, Schmaltz Mashed Potatoes, Garlic Grits, Cole Slaw. My wife and daughter finished the Pickles of the day before I can try any. Two Soft Drinks, and I got the "Damn Good Sweet Tea" Cocktail.

My daughter still is talking about it. (It's her second favorite "restaurant" after Lickity-Split. My very finicky son who often won't touch anything but Mac & Cheese - wouldn't eat anything but the chicken (which he filled up on). My wife agrees me that it's the best fried chicken she ever had (her comment: "I loved it to DEATH. As in, I'd pick it as my last meal'

All of that was $60 before tip. I think considering the quality of the food - feeding a family of four on $60 is VERY reasonable.

So yes - I'm quite biased - but I wouldn't be raving to this degree if I didn't love it - family or otherwise.
  • Post #65 - October 29th, 2013, 10:11 pm
    Post #65 - October 29th, 2013, 10:11 pm Post #65 - October 29th, 2013, 10:11 pm
    My mouth has been watering reading through this forum post. I am heading there Saturday with my friends. Will bring my DSLR.
    -Pete
  • Post #66 - October 31st, 2013, 9:40 am
    Post #66 - October 31st, 2013, 9:40 am Post #66 - October 31st, 2013, 9:40 am
    Since I don't make it to Avondale that much these days, and since my GF has recently become gluten-free, I had not yet made it to either HBFC or Smalls Smoke Shack before last night. But since I was in the hood and she had other plans, I did a doubleheader starting at HBFC. I ordered the 1/4 dark from both, with only the sides that came with it (cornbread/honey butter, and fries/texas toast/pickles, respectively).

I enjoyed both styles for what they were, without trying to compare one with the other, or some idealized concept of fried chicken. Much like the bbq explosion over the past few years, it's nice to have more good fried chicken options pop up around the city (including the short-walk-from-my-house DAK wings).

On a related note, it is my opinion that there is a much shorter quality gap between these new fried chicken joints and fresh-out-of-the-fryer examples from a good chain like Popeye's. While it may be sacrilege to make the fast-food to local joint comparison, fried chicken does lend itself well to both models, as opposed to burgers, which have a much larger quality gap between the two.
  • Post #67 - November 1st, 2013, 9:33 am
    Post #67 - November 1st, 2013, 9:33 am Post #67 - November 1st, 2013, 9:33 am
    Chicago Hokie wrote:On a related note, it is my opinion that there is a much shorter quality gap between these new fried chicken joints and fresh-out-of-the-fryer examples from a good chain like Popeye's. While it may be sacrilege to make the fast-food to local joint comparison, fried chicken does lend itself well to both models, as opposed to burgers, which have a much larger quality gap between the two.

I totally agree about the fast food comparison. I mean there's good fried chicken and bad, but to me even the best of the best is not that much better than a carton of Popeyes spicy chicken. That's why I'm skeptical of celebrated chicken joints. Having been disappointed by chicken meccas like HollyHock Hill in Indy, I'm starting to think the only thing that really separates good chicken from bad is simply how recently it came out of the oil.

No doubt their Honey Butter's fairly reflect the labor and ingredients that go into the food, but how much of that translates into an actually better piece of fried chicken? I'm going to head over there with an open mind. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
  • Post #68 - November 1st, 2013, 11:01 am
    Post #68 - November 1st, 2013, 11:01 am Post #68 - November 1st, 2013, 11:01 am
    eating while walking wrote:I'm starting to think the only thing that really separates good chicken from bad is simply how recently it came out of the oil.

Don't get me wrong, I think both HBFC and Smalls is definitely better than fresh-out-of-the-fryer Popeyes. And I plan on returning to both periodically for some tasty chicken. I just don't view it as three times the cost better.

I do view burgers from Au Cheval, Owen and Engine, and Bad Apple as being three times better than (fill in your favorite good burger chain).
  • Post #69 - December 9th, 2013, 4:32 pm
    Post #69 - December 9th, 2013, 4:32 pm Post #69 - December 9th, 2013, 4:32 pm
    Via HBFC's Facebook feed, they are opening for lunch starting this Wednesday (12/11).

New winter hours are:
    Lunch:
    Wednesday - Sunday 11am-2pm

Dinner:
    Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday 5pm-9pm
    Friday and Saturday 5pm - 10pm

CLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS

Also according to Chicagoist, the full menu will be available at lunch, but there will be two $10 specials (a two-piece chicken meal with corn muffin, honey butter and one side or a fried chicken sandwich with candied jalapeño mayo and crunchy slaw) and brunch dishes will include a fried egg, fried chicken, kale and smoky bacon breakfast sandwich or challah french toast with fried chicken and bourbon maple syrup for $10.
  • Post #70 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am
    Post #70 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am Post #70 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am
    I went last night for the first time and could not have been more disappointed.

8PC chicken, all the sides, an order of wings, which is 4 wings, a salty cookie and brownie and a high life, $75.

I will just say that anyone who wants to argue the bone free thing hasn't actually eaten there. Not only was the flavor different it was the texture that really suffered. I eat plenty of meat and I kid you not, I was half way through one of the boneless Breast when I realized it wasn't a boneless thigh. Just one soft, overly brined texture to everything. I did like one side dish, the macaroni but it was super dry.

To each their own, I hope they do fine but for me it was easily the worst fried chicken I have had in some time. Also to Ronnie’s point, I did the same thing with a tip as I was asked to add one when paying and all I got was carryout. I also have no problem tipping restaurant workers but to push a 10%-20% tip on a takeout order struck me a funny.

Regards,

Bourbon
  • Post #71 - January 7th, 2014, 6:48 pm
    Post #71 - January 7th, 2014, 6:48 pm Post #71 - January 7th, 2014, 6:48 pm
    We thought HBFC was good fried chicken. But, in truth, it doesn't come close to Ina's. Too bad she's closed. I never thought I'd eat fried chicken and waffles - and the waffle was just ok, but the chicken changed my understanding of what good fried chicken can be. HBFC shouldn't be mentioned in the same category - it's better than Popeye's or KFC, but that's about it.
  • Post #72 - January 11th, 2014, 4:32 pm
    Post #72 - January 11th, 2014, 4:32 pm Post #72 - January 11th, 2014, 4:32 pm
    What pieces do you get with a 4 piece and the 8 piece and do they allow substitutions?
  • Post #73 - January 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm
    Post #73 - January 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm Post #73 - January 18th, 2014, 3:23 pm
    Just to add my $0.02. I'm glad I went but see no need to return, especially if a wait is involved.

Lunch was 8 pc with all of the current sides (potates/gravy, sweet potato salad, kale, mac&cheese, creamed corn w/thai chili, pickles, corn muffins).

Chicken was moist and crust was hard the way I like it, but very underseasoned. Deboning was actually a nice idea, and certainly didn't make it feel "processed" but definitely easier to eat at small tables. Hot sauce helped the flavor considerably, but it still needed salt.

Sides were all quite tasty (esp the corn and kale) but tiny portions, including the corn muffins, which were crisp but likewise bite size.

Strangely enough, the butter seemed to have little honey in it, which was fine by me. I like honey very much, but I don't care for it in food like this.

It's definitely on the pricey side for what it is, and I prefer Small's overall, especially given the slightly more varied menu.
  • Post #74 - May 23rd, 2014, 5:31 pm
    Post #74 - May 23rd, 2014, 5:31 pm Post #74 - May 23rd, 2014, 5:31 pm

No Beanplating for me, love the term Mr. Square, here's my CliffsNotes version.

Chicken, crisp skin, moist toothsome flesh, light well defined spice.
    Kale slaw, tasty, crunchy, dug the dried pomegranate seed accents.
    Honey Butter, what's not to like about honey butter.
    Biscuits, ~shrug~
    Schmaltz Smashed Potatoes, dug em, loved em, silky fatty rich delicious, thinking about taking a gallon of them and my wife to the Sybaris for a couple of hours.
    Co-Op rum barrel hot sauce, I'm a fan of anything Co-Op.

Honey Butter Fried Chicken, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #75 - May 23rd, 2014, 8:20 pm
    Post #75 - May 23rd, 2014, 8:20 pm Post #75 - May 23rd, 2014, 8:20 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Schmaltz Smashed Potatoes, dug em, loved em, silky fatty rich delicious, thinking about taking a gallon of them and my wife to the Sybaris for a couple of hours.

Ordinarily I appreciate it when you append a photo to a report, but in this instance . . .
  • Post #76 - June 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm
    Post #76 - June 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm Post #76 - June 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm
    I've kept meaning to try Honey Butter, and Small's out. I do wonder if the lines are a little less for HBFC, now that more than half a year has passed since it opened? The online reviews I've skimmed through almost make want to lean towards trying Small's first, though I vow to give both of them a chance at some point. I do hope HBFC's practice of removing the bones from certain chicken pieces that I heard from reviews I've read so far, doesn't make the chicken taste worse.
  • Post #77 - June 12th, 2014, 10:07 am
    Post #77 - June 12th, 2014, 10:07 am Post #77 - June 12th, 2014, 10:07 am
    I haven't been in a while - but the last time I went the lines were medium. The trick is to go to the bar and drink one or two tasty cocktails and you can watch the line and jump in when it isn't long... I suspect it's not as bad in nice weather with the additional outdoor seating.
  • Post #78 - September 27th, 2014, 1:50 pm
    Post #78 - September 27th, 2014, 1:50 pm Post #78 - September 27th, 2014, 1:50 pm
    The most idiotically set up restaurant I've been to. With all the employees standing around with the long line because of a single cashier, why not allow ordering at the table? That way I won't be subjected to giving a tip before experiencing actual service, but it just bothers me when theres a significant line and a bunch of employees milling about, not really doing anything while everyone is waiting, especially with plenty of open tables. Theres a Chinese Buffet not to far (keep driving north on Elston, left on Addison) that has better fried chicken (get the Japanese Chicken, its tossed with jalapenos, that somehow makes it 'Japanese'). HBFC: Good idea, decent food, terrible execution.
  • Post #79 - November 2nd, 2014, 8:14 pm
    Post #79 - November 2nd, 2014, 8:14 pm Post #79 - November 2nd, 2014, 8:14 pm
    I made my first visit to Honey Butter Fried Chicken the other day. Honestly, I just wasn't that excited to visit based upon non-drumstick pieces being boneless. I love gnawing on and around the bones. That being said, for me, I know a good fried chicken the minute I did my teeth through the crust and into the meat. Crisp? Juicy? Brittle crust?

There's a trend towards thicker breading -- Honey Butter fits into this category -- and I'm generally okay with that, as long as it's not really thick. Though I prefer a thin, crisp and brittle crust. And I'd say Honey Butter's breading was just fine -- crisp, crunchy, well seasoned, bordering on too much paprika but just shy of that mark, and juicy chicken without feeling at all overworked. For a couple of bites, I dabbed just a little of the honey butter on the hot chicken and I loved how it melted right into the crust without eliminating crispness. It was delicious fried chicken that I'd happily eat again.

I also very much enjoyed the cornbread and biscuits. The mac & cheese was tasty, though pimento cheese is not my personal favorite and it was slightly liquidy. I also enjoyed the kale and cabbage slaw, which made for a light, and nicely acidic counterpart to all of the rich food.

• Post #80 - November 4th, 2014, 9:52 am
    Post #80 - November 4th, 2014, 9:52 am Post #80 - November 4th, 2014, 9:52 am
    The funny thing about HBFC is that my least favorite thing about the place is the honey butter. It just doesn't work for me - there's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's just not to my taste.

My favorite side is the roasted garlic grits, with the little bits of chicken skin in it. I've found the cornbread to be hit or miss - it's absolutely delicious when fresh, but it dries out very quickly, especially when kept under the heat lamp. On the one hand, I respect their adherence to a great recipe for something typically consumed immediately out of the oven; on the other hand, some practical concessions should probably be taken into consideration given how the restaurant operates.

The taste and texture of the chicken itself is excellent, but I wish it had a little more spice to it. I get that it's meant to be consumed with the honey butter (which would probably clash with extra spices or seasoning), but as a personal preference, I wish it had some more kick to it. I notice that there are now dipping sauces on the online menu - I'll have to come back to give them a try and see if they give me what I want.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #81 - November 4th, 2014, 10:20 am
    Post #81 - November 4th, 2014, 10:20 am Post #81 - November 4th, 2014, 10:20 am
    Independent George wrote:The taste and texture of the chicken itself is excellent, but I wish it had a little more spice to it. I get that it's meant to be consumed with the honey butter (which would probably clash with extra spices or seasoning), but as a personal preference, I wish it had some more kick to it.

Definitely not an issue with my visit -- aggressively seasoned, and almost a bit too much paprika.
  • Post #82 - March 31st, 2016, 11:45 am
    Post #82 - March 31st, 2016, 11:45 am Post #82 - March 31st, 2016, 11:45 am
    HBFC readers choice in Chgo. Trib. Food Section. 3-30-16.

Live in Lake Bluff. Want to drive there mid afternoon & bring home for dinner.
    2 pieces & 2 biscuits are $ 8.00. For 2 orders and a side
    $ 20.00 +
    Worth the effort & Cost?????
    Wally Wade
  • Post #83 - March 31st, 2016, 12:05 pm
    Post #83 - March 31st, 2016, 12:05 pm Post #83 - March 31st, 2016, 12:05 pm
    walter wade wrote:HBFC readers choice in Chgo. Trib. Food Section. 3-30-16.

$ 20.00 +
    Wally Wade

I don't know how well the food will travel (we ate on premises), but clearly you will find some on this thread who say the food is really good (including me) and others who say it's just all right. Not sure how that brings you closer to an answer.

If the directions were reversed--if I heard about some place in Lake Bluff that was spectacular and contemplated driving there for take-out--the result of my contemplation would be a resounding "no," because no take-out food is worth that round-trip for me. But that's me.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #84 - March 31st, 2016, 3:34 pm
    Post #84 - March 31st, 2016, 3:34 pm Post #84 - March 31st, 2016, 3:34 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    walter wade wrote:HBFC readers choice in Chgo. Trib. Food Section. 3-30-16.

$ 20.00 +
    Wally Wade

I don't know how well the food will travel (we ate on premises), but clearly you will find some on this thread who say the food is really good (including me) and others who say it's just all right. Not sure how that brings you closer to an answer.

If the directions were reversed--if I heard about some place in Lake Bluff that was spectacular and contemplated driving there for take-out--the result of my contemplation would be a resounding "no," because no take-out food is worth that round-trip for me. But that's me.

I would have to agree with riddlemay. While I enjoy HBFC, I don't think I would make a round trip from Lake Bluff for it. Now, if I was in the city for some other reason, I would have no problem hopping off the expressway and picking some up on my way home. The food holds up pretty well although it is obviously better eaten right there at the restaurant. Better yet, hop off and get your HBFC and eat it in the car on the drive home....just make sure you have someone else in the car to put the honey butter on the muffins. Oh, and one other thing, order extra biscuits, they are smaller than you think.
  • Post #85 - March 31st, 2016, 3:55 pm
    Post #85 - March 31st, 2016, 3:55 pm Post #85 - March 31st, 2016, 3:55 pm
    The fried chicken is excellent reheated, either from the fridge or freezer. I bought a lot for a party that ended up being cancelled because of a storm. We froze the chicken and ate it over a couple of months. So, if you are driving a far distance, just stock up
  • Post #86 - April 1st, 2016, 7:25 am
    Post #86 - April 1st, 2016, 7:25 am Post #86 - April 1st, 2016, 7:25 am
    (Just a quick tangent to ask) Really? You reheated frozen fried chicken and it turned out well? How was the crust? Did you just let it thaw and reheat it in the oven, or did you crisp it up in oil?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #87 - April 1st, 2016, 9:36 am
    Post #87 - April 1st, 2016, 9:36 am Post #87 - April 1st, 2016, 9:36 am
    Katie wrote:(Just a quick tangent to ask) Really? You reheated frozen fried chicken and it turned out well? How was the crust? Did you just let it thaw and reheat it in the oven, or did you crisp it up in oil?

I simply put them in the oven and they turned out great. Crust was crusty. Some were reheated directly from the freezer and others were not frozen.

Indeed, their catering menu lets you specify whether you want hot or cold chicken, the latter to be reheated if desired.
  • Post #88 - January 4th, 2017, 6:36 pm
    Post #88 - January 4th, 2017, 6:36 pm Post #88 - January 4th, 2017, 6:36 pm
    http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/4/14170 ... restaurant

Honey Butter Fried Chicken Joins New National Anti-Discriminatory Sanctuary Restaurant Group
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #89 - January 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm
    Post #89 - January 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm Post #89 - January 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm
    tarte tatin wrote:http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/4/14170532/honey-butter-fried-chicken-chicago-sanctuary-restaurant

Honey Butter Fried Chicken Joins New National Anti-Discriminatory Sanctuary Restaurant Group

huh, who knew hipster millennials were such a discriminated against class?

I go to HBFC quite a bit, the next time I see a muslim or immigrant working there will be the first.
  • Post #90 - January 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm
    Post #90 - January 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm Post #90 - January 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm
    shakes wrote:
    tarte tatin wrote:http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/4/14170532/honey-butter-fried-chicken-chicago-sanctuary-restaurant

huh, who knew hipster millennials were such a discriminated against class?

I go to HBFC quite a bit, the next time I see a muslim or immigrant working there will be the first.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Anyways, aren't all (or at least nearly all) restaurants against "hate and harassment?" This seems to be more a political statement to me than anything of substance and IMHO restaurants and politics is not a good combination.
    Twitter: @Goof_2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more