LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - April - June 2013

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - April - June 2013
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 2 of 9
  • Post #31 - April 16th, 2013, 11:17 am
    Post #31 - April 16th, 2013, 11:17 am Post #31 - April 16th, 2013, 11:17 am
    Not sure if this has been posted yet (it's been rumored for awhile, but now is official)...

The Longman & Eagle team is planning a Bavarian themed bar in the old Ronny's space at 2101 N. California Ave.

A proposed bar from the Longman & Eagle team would have a Bavarian theme and serve up sausages and soft pretzels, one of its partners told a Logan Square zoning committee Monday night..."Concept-wise, we're not going to stray too far from that [Bavarian theme]," Toalson said, though he added that there were still a lot of "unknowns" about the old Ronny's building.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #32 - April 16th, 2013, 2:35 pm
    Post #32 - April 16th, 2013, 2:35 pm Post #32 - April 16th, 2013, 2:35 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:

"The last day for the shop is April 28"

Ohio House Coffee Shop
    600 N LaSalle Blvd
    (312) 751-2038

There's also some discussion of the closing (and links to additional information about it) on the main Ohio House thread.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #33 - April 18th, 2013, 8:15 am
    Post #33 - April 18th, 2013, 8:15 am Post #33 - April 18th, 2013, 8:15 am
    The former 24-hour Baghdad Cafe location (NW corner of Kedzie/Lawrence) has a sign up announcing that ZuZu Wraps will be opening there. They currently have a location in Morton Grove (which apparently used to be called Olive Branch Express).
  • Post #34 - April 18th, 2013, 9:17 am
    Post #34 - April 18th, 2013, 9:17 am Post #34 - April 18th, 2013, 9:17 am
    Vietnamese restaurant coming to 5900 Block of W. Lawrence Ave., in Chicago, in the old Halina's space, New signage says Pho Number One

• Post #35 - April 18th, 2013, 10:08 am
    Post #35 - April 18th, 2013, 10:08 am Post #35 - April 18th, 2013, 10:08 am
    I am under the impression that Caribou Coffee was closing a couple of its stores completely and turning another 14 into Peet's Coffee & Tea. The Caribou Coffee in Winnetka by the Book Stall is open; does anyone know if it will switch over or be closed? The one in Glenview on Waukegan appears to be one of the ones that is now completely closed, but the folks in it told my husband that it will re-open as a completely independent coffee shop.
    “First we eat, then we do everything else.” ― M.F.K. Fisher
  • Post #36 - April 18th, 2013, 10:42 am
    Post #36 - April 18th, 2013, 10:42 am Post #36 - April 18th, 2013, 10:42 am
    nukegirl wrote:I am under the impression that Caribou Coffee was closing a couple of its stores completely and turning another 14 into Peet's Coffee & Tea. The Caribou Coffee in Winnetka by the Book Stall is open; does anyone know if it will switch over or be closed? The one in Glenview on Waukegan appears to be one of the ones that is now completely closed, but the folks in it told my husband that it will re-open as a completely independent coffee shop.

From the Tribune:

...most downtown Chicago Caribou locations will remain open and be rebranded Peet's stores by 2015. Employees at the chain's Long Grove, Lake Forest, Northbrook and Winnetka locations said Monday that their stores also would remain open, eventually becoming Peet's.
  • Post #37 - April 18th, 2013, 10:45 am
    Post #37 - April 18th, 2013, 10:45 am Post #37 - April 18th, 2013, 10:45 am
    Vinny wrote:The former 24-hour Baghdad Cafe location (NW corner of Kedzie/Lawrence) has a sign up announcing that ZuZu Wraps will be opening there. They currently have a location in Morton Grove (which apparently used to be called Olive Branch Express).

Took a look at the website - turns out we know the family from about 20 years ago.
    Zuzu is the son of the guy that established Olive Branch Express, Simon Munsif, who's retiring. Simon has a history in the area serving Lebanese-style Middle Eastern food since the early 1990's. I used to go to the fast food place he had near Rush and Chicago, and one point he had a place in the current location of Kan Zaman in River North, which I think was also called Olive Branch. The food at the River North location started out pretty tasty, particularly the shish taouk entree and hummus, but unfortunately he couldn't sustain the business there and the quality went downhill until they closed (using canned vegetables was a very bad sign). Historical note: before that, it was a place owned by Iraqis called Ishtar. I remember it because Simon left up the pseudo-Babylonian murals on the walls for a long while. I want to say the Chicago Olive Branch closed around the early 2000s, right before Kan Zaman moved from Andersonville to River North.

Glad to see that he and now Zuzu found their niche in the suburbs, although in the fast food niche, and are coming back to the city.

Only thing - a falafel and avocado sandwich is an abomination (I hestitate to say how much it would make the likes of Habibi cringe). And from the mixed American and Middle Eastern (mostly Lebanese) menu that have posted, there's at least three things that score major chutzpah points on the Middle Eastern side. I hope they at least have zaatar in some of their wraps :).

We'll probably stop by out of of curiousity, but if the menu is the same as in Glenview, it's not really in the same league as Iraqi/Assyrian places in that neighborhood like George's Kabob, let alone a higher-end concept like Semiranis.

OTOH, I have a soft spot for Simon's places because the Chicago Av. location was my first exposure to Middle Eastern food in the States after the first trip (of what would become closer to a dozen trips) to Israel. Eating in Abu-Ghosh kinds of spoils you for closer to the real thing, though.
  • Post #38 - April 18th, 2013, 7:40 pm
    Post #38 - April 18th, 2013, 7:40 pm Post #38 - April 18th, 2013, 7:40 pm
    Darren72 wrote:
    nukegirl wrote:I am under the impression that Caribou Coffee was closing a couple of its stores completely and turning another 14 into Peet's Coffee & Tea. The Caribou Coffee in Winnetka by the Book Stall is open; does anyone know if it will switch over or be closed? The one in Glenview on Waukegan appears to be one of the ones that is now completely closed, but the folks in it told my husband that it will re-open as a completely independent coffee shop.

From the Tribune:
    ...most downtown Chicago Caribou locations will remain open and be rebranded Peet's stores by 2015. Employees at the chain's Long Grove, Lake Forest, Northbrook and Winnetka locations said Monday that their stores also would remain open, eventually becoming Peet's.

Caribou Coffee (closed)
    136 N Oak Park Ave, Oak Park

... has closed. The location on Harlem is still open.

423 N Harlem Ave, Oak Park
    (708) 358-1212
    http://www.cariboucoffee.com
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #39 - April 19th, 2013, 11:39 am
    Post #39 - April 19th, 2013, 11:39 am Post #39 - April 19th, 2013, 11:39 am
    Has Andalous closed?

We just got a piece of mail to them returned and both of the phone numbers listed on their website (which is still up) are reporting that they're not in service anymore.

I'll be pretty bummed if they're gone...I liked that place.
    Lou Zucaro, Founder & Creator of Yumbly and MenuMinder. Search restaurants and menus to find exactly what you're hungry for. Yum.
  • Post #40 - April 20th, 2013, 1:00 pm
    Post #40 - April 20th, 2013, 1:00 pm Post #40 - April 20th, 2013, 1:00 pm
    Papaspiros in Oak Park is an empty worksite at the moment; website is still up and there are rumors they may relocate nearby, but no signage to indicate it currently. It was a nice Greektown design with good food; I hope they re-land.
  • Post #41 - April 20th, 2013, 3:49 pm
    Post #41 - April 20th, 2013, 3:49 pm Post #41 - April 20th, 2013, 3:49 pm
    Caponies closed in 2012, purportedly for remodeling that did not happen. From post in Openings and Closings thread by 2146 north:
    Caponies on Harlem closed with a sign in the window saying they are remodeling, and will reopen in mid May. The place is cleaned out. If they do remodel, I might start eating there again. The old layout was a mess.

After a few months the reference to remodeling disappeared replaced by a for rent sign. Meanwhile Caponies reported on their web site that they had moved.

By April, 2013, a Coming Soon banner proclaimed that the building would house Crazy Calabrese with brick oven pizza. They were not open as of two days ago but do have a web site that makes it sound as though they are open. They are part of part of the Victoria Banquet & Catering Group Family. Between the parent group and the tones of both web sites I do not have a lot of hope for this offering.

http://www.caponiespizza.com/
    Caponies Trattoria
    7419 W. Irving Park Road
    Chicago

http://www.crazycalabrese.com/
    Crazy Calabrese Pizza
    3350 N. Harlem Ave.
    Chicago
    http://www.victoriabanquets.com/home/
  • Post #42 - April 20th, 2013, 9:53 pm
    Post #42 - April 20th, 2013, 9:53 pm Post #42 - April 20th, 2013, 9:53 pm
    If I remember correctly, the local newspaper said that Papaspiros' owners are moving across to the north side of Lake St. in Oak Park.
  • Post #43 - April 20th, 2013, 10:16 pm
    Post #43 - April 20th, 2013, 10:16 pm Post #43 - April 20th, 2013, 10:16 pm
    thick wrote:If I remember correctly, the local newspaper said that Papaspiros' owners are moving across to the north side of Lake St. in Oak Park.

I had a meal there recently. Food was so so. My bride thought her spanakopita was premade and processed. Gyros was OK.

No bar service short of beer and wine.
  • Post #44 - April 20th, 2013, 10:48 pm
    Post #44 - April 20th, 2013, 10:48 pm Post #44 - April 20th, 2013, 10:48 pm
    thick wrote:If I remember correctly, the local newspaper said that Papaspiros' owners are moving across to the north side of Lake St. in Oak Park.

I had a meal there recently. Food was so so. My bride thought her spanakopita was premade and processed. Gyros was OK.

This January (updated February) article said they were going to move across to where Velvet Rope was, but the website still has the old 733 Lake Street address, and Velvet Rope was still papered over with its old signage today. Did you eat there in some soft opening window, Panther, or are you talking about the old dining room? Or, as happened with Katy's, did they pull a fast one on us and pick a third address entirely?
  • Post #45 - April 20th, 2013, 11:05 pm
    Post #45 - April 20th, 2013, 11:05 pm Post #45 - April 20th, 2013, 11:05 pm
    Santander wrote:

This January (updated February) article said they were going to move across to where Velvet Rope was, but the website still has the old 733 Lake Street address, and Velvet Rope was still papered over with its old signage today. Did you eat there in some soft opening window, Panther, or are you talking about the old dining room? Or, as happened with Katy's, did they pull a fast one on us and pick a third address entirely?

Old dining room. Around a month ago.

I also miss the lounge and cigar bar in the basement.
  • Post #46 - April 22nd, 2013, 8:49 am
    Post #46 - April 22nd, 2013, 8:49 am Post #46 - April 22nd, 2013, 8:49 am
    Yumbly wrote:Has Andalous closed?

We just got a piece of mail to them returned and both of the phone numbers listed on their website (which is still up) are reporting that they're not in service anymore.

I'll be pretty bummed if they're gone...I liked that place.

It looks like the space is for rent from the outside. Windows are definitely papered over.
  • Post #47 - April 22nd, 2013, 10:00 am
    Post #47 - April 22nd, 2013, 10:00 am Post #47 - April 22nd, 2013, 10:00 am
    Sign in a window on the 500 block of N. Michigan for a coming location of Lao Sze Chuan. A few doors south of the Nordstrom mall.
  • Post #48 - April 26th, 2013, 9:17 am
    Post #48 - April 26th, 2013, 9:17 am Post #48 - April 26th, 2013, 9:17 am
    Celebrity chef David Burke plans to open a farm-to-table restaurant just north of Millennium Park, his second establishment in the city.
    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130424/BLOGS09/130429902/david-burkes-2nd-site-farm-to-table-restaurant-near-millennium-park
    Hors D'oeuvre: A ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
    - Jack Benny
  • Post #49 - April 26th, 2013, 9:47 am
    Post #49 - April 26th, 2013, 9:47 am Post #49 - April 26th, 2013, 9:47 am
    Santander wrote:Papaspiros in Oak Park is an empty worksite at the moment; website is still up and there are rumors they may relocate nearby, but no signage to indicate it currently. It was a nice Greektown design with good food; I hope they re-land.

Drove by yesterday and the old location on the southside of the street is closed. Awnings and patio area removed, things askew inside.

No sign of activity at the new (EX Velvet Rope) location across the street.

PapaSpiros Greek Taverna (closed)
    733 Lake St, Oak Park
    http://papaspiros.com/

No info on their website.

Rumored new location...

728 Lake St
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on April 26th, 2013, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #50 - April 26th, 2013, 9:48 am
    Post #50 - April 26th, 2013, 9:48 am Post #50 - April 26th, 2013, 9:48 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:I also miss the lounge and cigar bar in the basement.

That basement bar was an Oak Park hidden gem. It was a nice place to talk with friends and enjoy some relatively cheap cocktails and when you got hungry you could order off the regular menu and eat at the bar.
  • Post #51 - April 26th, 2013, 6:02 pm
    Post #51 - April 26th, 2013, 6:02 pm Post #51 - April 26th, 2013, 6:02 pm
    Sign in a window on the 500 block of N. Michigan for a coming location of Lao Sze Chuan. A few doors south of the Nordstrom mall.

WOW- That- along with his new place opening in River North in June, will make for 13 RESTAURANTS
    listed on the back of his business card!
    How does he do it?
    We saw Tony last weekend @ his Lao Yo Ju restaurant
    clutching a stack of freshly printed new business cards &
    looking quite dapper in a beautifully-styled body-hugging olive leather coat.
    I think if The Tony Gourmet Group made a private offering, it would
    be fully subscribed in a short period of time. :wink:

Lao 18
    18 W. Hubbard
    Chicago,IL 60654
  • Post #52 - April 27th, 2013, 5:25 pm
    Post #52 - April 27th, 2013, 5:25 pm Post #52 - April 27th, 2013, 5:25 pm
    Hombre de Acero wrote:We saw Tony last weekend @ his Lao Yo Ju restaurant
    clutching a stack of freshly printed new business cards &
    looking quite dapper in a beautifully-styled body-hugging olive leather coat.

Couple of months ago I chatted with Tony at Lao You Ju, at one point during the conversation I put my hand on his shoulder and, even a moderately scruffy BBQ guy such as myself, recognized he was sporting a bespoke suit of the highest quality. Man knows how to dress.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #53 - May 1st, 2013, 4:30 pm
    Post #53 - May 1st, 2013, 4:30 pm Post #53 - May 1st, 2013, 4:30 pm
    Meanwhile, once again in the Kingdom of Oak Park (along the east end of Madison Ave)...

... at the space located at...

108 Madison St #1, Oak Park
    (708) 848-DOGS (3647)

Home of (most recently) Oak Park Dogs and before that Sheena's Soulfood & Deli.

... and related to Oak Park Dogs (similar menu, same phone number)

Burgers, Wings & Turkey Things

While a different owner the same concept (except without the weekly custom sausage specials)

Grand Opening specials today only! Free beef or turkey taco and cupcake with any purchase.

Just down the street at the former Pizza Palazzo space...

314 Madison St

Surfs Up Fried Lobster, Shrimp and Fish
  • Post #54 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:01 pm
    Post #54 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:01 pm Post #54 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:01 pm
    Ravenswood edition:

Cookie Bar, formerly of Lincoln Park (closed in late 2012-early 2013?), is moving to 1746 W. Wilson Ave., right next door to Fin. There's a new awning up with the name and website, but the windows are still papered over. The awning says "gluten-free bakery," but here's hoping they serve non-GF items too, since they did previously.

Also, Chez Simo Bistro is moving into the former Cinnamon Cafe space at 1968 W. Lawrence Ave. It has an underdeveloped website that promises "authentic French cuisine." Lincoln Square Patch has an article with not much more info.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #55 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:08 pm
    Post #55 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:08 pm Post #55 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:08 pm
    Northeastern Fruit & Garden at 6000 N. Lincoln has closed after 35 years, according to posters in the windows.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #56 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:28 pm
    Post #56 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:28 pm Post #56 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:28 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Northeastern Fruit & Garden at 6000 N. Lincoln has closed after 35 years, according to posters in the windows.

I'd guess the road construction at this location contributed to this decision.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #57 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:04 am
    Post #57 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:04 am Post #57 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:04 am
    Cool Daddy's at 2200 N. Milwaukee is officially closed (they closed "for the season" back in the fall). It's going to be replaced by Madison Public House, which will be similar to Innjoy (same owners).

The Eater article I linked to above also notes that "stretch of Milwaukee that sources say is about to see an explosion". There's certainly a fair amount of construction going on in storefronts.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #58 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:11 am
    Post #58 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:11 am Post #58 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:11 am
    Towbar is replacing charmers/dagel & beli...at the corner or greenview & Jarvis..same owner as taste, the wine store next door

Sent from my iPh
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #59 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:13 am
    Post #59 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:13 am Post #59 - May 3rd, 2013, 10:13 am
    Hot Woks owners are opening Asian Outpost in South Loop. Curious to see what they'll have on the menu!
  • Post #60 - May 7th, 2013, 6:59 pm
    Post #60 - May 7th, 2013, 6:59 pm Post #60 - May 7th, 2013, 6:59 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:Northeastern Fruit & Garden at 6000 N. Lincoln has closed after 35 years, according to posters in the windows.

I'd guess the road construction at this location contributed to this decision.

Regards,

I live a block from there, went there about a year ago and they barely had any produce! Didn't know how they were staying in business.

The road construction there is horrible, they have sut Peterson to 1 lane twice in the past years for 2 separate projects and it adds 20 minutes to my commute home, mainly the last 4 blocks.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more