LTH Home

What's the Best Sandwich in Chicago?

What's the Best Sandwich in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 9
  • Post #181 - November 15th, 2009, 11:53 am
    Post #181 - November 15th, 2009, 11:53 am Post #181 - November 15th, 2009, 11:53 am
    Salerno's Veal Parmigiana Sandwich

Massive sandwich! They included three breaded veal patties with one positioned in the center which almost made it too thick to eat. I managed though. :) Everything was top quality. Was that a hint of garlic I tasted on the bread?

The breading did suffer a bit (as always) from the sauce (and delivery) but still was crispy around the edges.

With the adds of melted cheese and peppers, $10. Considering it can be two meals, a good deal.

Salernos Pizza & Pasta
    7128 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park
    (708) 383-1500

Also, their online ordering system is a joy to use. Very nicely done!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #182 - November 15th, 2009, 11:54 am
    Post #182 - November 15th, 2009, 11:54 am Post #182 - November 15th, 2009, 11:54 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Salerno's Veal Parmigiana Sandwich

Massive sandwich! They included three breaded veal patties with one positioned in the center which almost made it too thick to eat. I managed though. :) Everything was top quality. Was that a hint of garlic I tasted on the bread?

The breading did suffer a bit (as always) from the sauce (and delivery) but still was crispy around the edges.

With the adds of melted cheese and peppers, $10. Considering it can be two meals, a good deal.

Salernos Pizza & Pasta
    7128 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park
    (708) 383-1500

Also, their online ordering system is a joy to use. Very nicely done!

hell yeah... now thats a sandwich. thanks for posting about it John.
  • Post #183 - February 11th, 2011, 3:50 am
    Post #183 - February 11th, 2011, 3:50 am Post #183 - February 11th, 2011, 3:50 am
    barooo wrote:This is take out only, and not for the squeamish, but walk in, ignore the 30 year old jars of jelly and syrup and what have you that no one buys, don't pass out from the oppressive heat, skip the coolers and cases and head directly to the deli counter in the back... The schnitzel at Olga's Deli on Irving Park just west of Albany is completely ridiculous. It's like 30 pieces of thin schnitzel piled high on rye bread (and she started my sandwich and decided the bread was too close to the ends of the loaf ("too small") so she went in the back for a new loaf). Don't go if you're in a hurry, I waited about 25 minutes for literally 2 people in front of me, Olga is not fast by any means. The schnitzel is the classic, but selection varies day to day and my favorite is the pork tenderloin (really more of a fried pork chop), which is sort of greasy/soggy instead of crisp, but also incredibly tender and flavorful so it all works out just fine, with the amazing homemeade kraut and brown mustard and grilled onions. Since I can eat like a rabid wolverine I'm able to finish it, but it would feed two hungry fat people. They also have fried perch, burgers I hear good things about, and corned beef that looked outstanding.
    Anyway, tasty and cheap ($5!!!), but slow.

I'll second this BTW - tasty, cheap, and slowish :-)

Made it here at 11am-ish a couple weeks ago... and, unlike Cathy2, found it open! It was early, only 1 other person is line before me - and not everything was ready yet (the normal weiner-schnitzel wasnt even ready, but a chicken-schnitzel was). Thats what I went with, and it was excellent. As stated above, a very big sandwich - lots and lots and lots of slices of schnitzel go into it. And very good indeed - very flavorful, fresh, extremely tasty - she made it right there, and took her time piling a massive quantity of very good schnitzel onto it. And only about 5.50 IIRC (maybe 6 with tax)? The weiner schnitzel is apparently freshly made and ready by noonish every day too - I will certainly be back for that sooner rather than later (and if it isnt ready, the Chicken Schnitzel is pretty damn terrific too)!

Another in a long line of Chicago places which may not be much to look at from the outside, seem to be just ordinary grocery stores (and not very well stocked ones at that).. but serve terrific food out the back. Just like Tierra Caliente and Bari among others, Olga's serves a sandwich very much worth stopping in for as well.

c8w

Olga's Delicatessen
    3209 W Irving Park Rd
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-539-8038
  • Post #184 - February 11th, 2011, 9:21 am
    Post #184 - February 11th, 2011, 9:21 am Post #184 - February 11th, 2011, 9:21 am
    Just read through this thread and think it needs new blood? While I appreciate the flavor of good pastrami the idea of massive piles of meat which many people seem to love and love to take pictures of just doesnt appeal to me. When I got the pastrami from Mannys I ate about 1/3 of it and took it home and made two more sandwiches. Don't get me wrong, it was good pastrami - but like eating a pile of meat, not a sandwich.

A good sandwich, to me involves some craft. I think Zenwich is making some the best sandwiches around. Nothing I have eaten there is anything short of great. Any of these will make you stop and say 'wow - that's an great sandwich':

Bulgogi Sandwich (Tony Q)
    Thinly sliced korean BBQ Beef grilled with sesame oil, grilled tomato, lettuce and green onion topped with Korean red pepper sauce.

Mu Ping
    Grilled caramelized pork, pickled carrot and dykon, cucumber, red onion,
    jalapeno and cilantro with homemade sweet mayonnaise.

Crab Cake
    Japanese style panko crusted homemade crab cake and baby greens
    topped with homemade creamy garlic sauce.

Chicken Satay (Joesplosion)
    Curry marinated grilled chicken, shredded carrot, cucumber, red onion and
    jalapeno with homemade peanut sauce.

I am working my way through their menu, but it is hard to come back and get a new one, when you know how good the ones above are.

-----

I also will throw out a vote for Pastoral. Everything on their menu is super creative and flavorful:

My recent favorite Great Pastoral Sandwich:

Blue Pig n’ Fig:
    Jamon Serrano, Aderkase Reserve blue cheese, local fig and black tea preserve, whole grain dijon mustard and field greens.

but anything they make is great.
  • Post #185 - November 11th, 2013, 8:46 am
    Post #185 - November 11th, 2013, 8:46 am Post #185 - November 11th, 2013, 8:46 am
    Bang for the buck it might just be the Alpine - simple perfection:

best sandwich "one two punch" in the city: The Alpine & a quick walk down the street to Johnnies for a Combo hot- I call this "one- two punch" the hangover slayer

No Johnnies isnt the best Combo around(maybe 2nd or 3rd on my list) - the best of title goes to Original Mr. Beef in Homer Glen - (kind of interesting the best IB/Combo spots are in the burbs not the city), but it was damn good on Saturday.
    Last edited by jimswside on November 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • Post #186 - November 11th, 2013, 11:58 am
    Post #186 - November 11th, 2013, 11:58 am Post #186 - November 11th, 2013, 11:58 am
    My current favorite isn't one you can always get, but it is good. On Saturday I stopped by PQM for pizza stuff - after a fruitful visit to JP Graziano, as terrific and bustling and happy as ever - and saw the devastatingly perfect porchetta hit the counter hot from the oven. I had a flashback to a trip to Tuscany when I was 18 and had porchetta on crusty bread, outside Pisa, on the side of the road. I have had some great pork BBQ sandwiches and wonderful pan con lechon, but never believed I'd come close to having another truly great porchetta sandwich. I knew what to do - I ordered the end cut, grabbed a warm demi-baguette (exemplary in their own right), sliced lengthwise, a beer, my 8 year old daughter's blood mortadella (she'll eat anything good), and rolled my own. Kahan was there, looking like a proud papa himself when the porchetta arrived. If you can be in PQM late morning Saturday, you must get the porchetta. It's like being at Sabas Vega when the carnitas roll out, but the fat and succulent, almost gamy dark meat on this beast is a whole different animal. Incredible stuff. So lucky to have places like PQM and Graziano's happily coexisting and thriving in a real, working meatpacking/restaurant supply district. And, to a person, both places have terrific staffs. Best sandwich ever - bread, pork.
  • Post #187 - November 11th, 2013, 7:16 pm
    Post #187 - November 11th, 2013, 7:16 pm Post #187 - November 11th, 2013, 7:16 pm
    jimswside wrote:Bang for the buck it might just be the Alpine - simple perfection...

I've been a long time huge fan of Alpine. Probably don't have to search too hard here for quotes from me about this place. I like their sandwiches for their deft hand at fillings. These are not piled high, stuffed sandwiches, and they are not trying to be. I have no problem with Gonella or Turano whichever they use, but plenty of ppl call this bread "squishy." I like the chew it has. And their sub "oil" is totally legit. Anyway, yeah, Alpine, long time fan here. This is a city with plenty of options, and imo, "The Alpine," drenched with oil, (gotta tell them to drench it,) and an addition of hot giardiniera is pretty high on my list of best sammiches.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #188 - November 11th, 2013, 11:52 pm
    Post #188 - November 11th, 2013, 11:52 pm Post #188 - November 11th, 2013, 11:52 pm
    Alpine has always been a good place to get a great sammy. They will make it as you like it. It has been a go to place for my family for umpteen years. The big surprise for me a few years ago was their home made fresh Italian Sausage. I think that it is among the best I've had. On the grill, it is wonderful-lean, nicely spiced, a real treat. That is saying something, given the big number of stores in the area selling the good, homemade stuff.
  • Post #189 - October 30th, 2014, 7:18 pm
    Post #189 - October 30th, 2014, 7:18 pm Post #189 - October 30th, 2014, 7:18 pm
    jimswside wrote:Italian sub, or an American sub:
    Augustino's
    246 Schmale
    Carol Stream, IL.
    http://www.augustinos.com

My favorite sub sandwich around. I have been going to this place for 20 years. They also have a location in West Chicago, and now downtown Chicago. Great bread, large portions, and a good price.

An associate just mentioned that his favorite Italian Beef place is Augustino's.

I've been very happy with the Italian subs from Al & Joe's lately. I think I'll have to head out to Carol Stream to try a sub & an Italian Beef from Augustino's
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #190 - October 31st, 2014, 8:33 am
    Post #190 - October 31st, 2014, 8:33 am Post #190 - October 31st, 2014, 8:33 am
    1) Al and Joe's in Franklin Park- The original Italian sub.

2) Alpine in Elmwood Park- "The Alpine."

I grew up on both of these Italian sandwiches and both of them are virtually tied, but I prefer Al and Joe's by the slightest of margins. Both places use a very sharp, aged imported provolone which is much tastier than the standard provolone used on J.P. Graziano's Italian sub. Both places use a softer bread compared to the crusty D'Amato's bread used at J.P. Graziano, but I prefer the softer bread at both Alpine and Al and Joe's. Both Alpine and Al and Joe's have great giardiniera, too.

I really love the ham on "The Alpine" and the vinegar and oil mix at Al and Joe's. Al and Joe's sells their vinegar and oil mix by the bottle, and when you run out, they will refill it for you. To me, Al and Joe's vinegar and oil mix is just that much better than everybody else. If you haven't tried it, then go get one of their Italian subs today. The vinegar and oil already comes on the sub, but do yourself a favor and buy a bottle for home. You will not regret it. It truly is the best. It just that much different in taste compared to everybody else's vinegar and oil mix.

Just my humble two cents.

Good Eating As Always,

deepdish
    Last edited by deepdish on January 28th, 2015, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #191 - November 1st, 2014, 8:25 pm
    Post #191 - November 1st, 2014, 8:25 pm Post #191 - November 1st, 2014, 8:25 pm
    fwiw J.P. Graziano's will sub the imported provolone on request. My go-to sandwich there, and probably my favorite in the city, is the Italian w/ prosciutto added, imported provolone subbed for the regular prov, and hot giardiniera. It's a beauty

First time I ordered it that way, Jimmy said, "That sounds awesome!" and he has remembered the way I like it on every subsequent visit. J.P. Graziano's is a pretty special place.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #192 - November 4th, 2014, 11:23 am
    Post #192 - November 4th, 2014, 11:23 am Post #192 - November 4th, 2014, 11:23 am
    JimTheBeerGuy wrote:fwiw J.P. Graziano's will sub the imported provolone on request. My go-to sandwich there, and probably my favorite in the city, is the Italian w/ prosciutto added, imported provolone subbed for the regular prov, and hot giardiniera. It's a beauty.

I vote for their prosciutto sub. That's arguably the best prosciutto in the city, and in their sub form, it's perfectly balanced. Now I'm hungry.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #193 - November 12th, 2014, 1:06 pm
    Post #193 - November 12th, 2014, 1:06 pm Post #193 - November 12th, 2014, 1:06 pm
    thick wrote:Alpine has always been a good place to get a great sammy. They will make it as you like it. It has been a go to place for my family for umpteen years. The big surprise for me a few years ago was their home made fresh Italian Sausage. I think that it is among the best I've had. On the grill, it is wonderful-lean, nicely spiced, a real treat. That is saying something, given the big number of stores in the area selling the good, homemade stuff.

I am pretty sure that Alpine gets their sausage from Nottolli & Son on Belmont
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #194 - November 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm
    Post #194 - November 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm Post #194 - November 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm
    Marshall K wrote:
    thick wrote:Alpine has always been a good place to get a great sammy. They will make it as you like it. It has been a go to place for my family for umpteen years. The big surprise for me a few years ago was their home made fresh Italian Sausage. I think that it is among the best I've had. On the grill, it is wonderful-lean, nicely spiced, a real treat. That is saying something, given the big number of stores in the area selling the good, homemade stuff.

Alpine makes their own.
  • Post #195 - November 18th, 2014, 3:31 pm
    Post #195 - November 18th, 2014, 3:31 pm Post #195 - November 18th, 2014, 3:31 pm
    The Food Diva wrote:
    Marshall K wrote:

Alpine makes their own.

Stopped in Alpine today for a Sub and they do indeed get their fresh Italian from Nottolli & Son
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #196 - November 18th, 2014, 5:38 pm
    Post #196 - November 18th, 2014, 5:38 pm Post #196 - November 18th, 2014, 5:38 pm
    I finally made it to Alpine last week for the first time. Got the house special sub. I thought the meats were fine but the bread was not up to the level of Bari's or JP Graziano's by a long shot. Found it to be a bit stale and dry. Not sure if they use D'amato's but it was definitely the weak link of the sando.
  • Post #197 - November 20th, 2014, 1:49 pm
    Post #197 - November 20th, 2014, 1:49 pm Post #197 - November 20th, 2014, 1:49 pm
    I've been eating at Alpine for decades and I've never had stale bread. However, their bread is definitely softer and not of the crusty D'Amato's kind that can be found at JP Graziano's or Bari. This is definitely a matter of preference, for I prefer the softer bread featured at places like Al and Joe's in Franklin Park and Alpine in Elmwood Park. However, what really makes Alpine and Al and Joe's stand apart from everybody else are their housemade oil and vinegar mixes and their giardiniera recipes, along with their meats and cheeses. I think Alpine and Al and Joe's are in a class all by themselves in all of the above categories. And I love the sharp aged provolone that both Alpine and Al and Joe's use over the standard provolone that JP Graziano's and Bari use. I know that you can get the sharper provolone at JP Graziano's and Bari if you request it, but you don't have to do that at Al and Joe's and Alpine. They get it right from the very beginning.

And the ham that's used on the signature Alpine is just outstanding. PERFECTION. Both Alpine and Al and Joe's are old school neighborhood Italian treasures in these parts.
  • Post #198 - November 21st, 2014, 12:46 pm
    Post #198 - November 21st, 2014, 12:46 pm Post #198 - November 21st, 2014, 12:46 pm
    I dunno if it is the best as I have not consumed this monstah being a vegetarian, but the sandwich at the deli counter in the Fairplay Foods on the corner of Western and Cermak may give yo the most biomass for a buck. :-) Not really the best but the biggest normal, erryday sammich.
  • Post #199 - November 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm
    Post #199 - November 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm Post #199 - November 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm
    Somewhere on this list has to be the focaccia sandwich from Joseph's Finest Meats.
    If you've never been to Joseph's you really need to go, and while your browsing one of the best butcher shops in Chicagoland get a focaccia sandwich - you won't be sorry.
  • Post #200 - November 22nd, 2014, 10:40 am
    Post #200 - November 22nd, 2014, 10:40 am Post #200 - November 22nd, 2014, 10:40 am
    Joseph's Finest Meats
    7101 W Addison St
    Chicago, IL 60634
    (773) 736-3766

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #201 - November 23rd, 2014, 1:01 pm
    Post #201 - November 23rd, 2014, 1:01 pm Post #201 - November 23rd, 2014, 1:01 pm
    I highly recommend the catty'bo at Poor Phil's in Oak Park. It has gotten featured on Chicago's best on CLTV and on sandwich king on food network. It is a truly outstanding sandwich. It is a blackened cat fish that is daftly prepared. Served with spicy mayo, lettuce, tomato and red onion. The giardiniera is a must. The bun is soft and sublime. Stay away from the other po'boys though, they are not very good. Great beer selection to go along with it.

Poor Phil's
    139 Marion St
    Oak Park, IL 60302
    708-848-0871
  • Post #202 - December 28th, 2014, 3:23 pm
    Post #202 - December 28th, 2014, 3:23 pm Post #202 - December 28th, 2014, 3:23 pm
    So many great ones out there but it's really hard to argue against the Mr. G from JP Graziano's being one of the very best in town . . .

The Mr. G

What I really love about it is not only is every high-quality component truly delicious on its own but the sandwich is assembled with great care and attention paid to the proportions. It is really a 'less is more' situation, where there is no overload or overkill. It's restrained but it all comes together into a glorious, harmonious joy to eat.

=R=

JP Graziano Grocery & Sub Shop
    901 West Randolph St
    Chicago, IL 60607
    (312) 666-4587
  • Post #203 - November 28th, 2018, 10:06 am
    Post #203 - November 28th, 2018, 10:06 am Post #203 - November 28th, 2018, 10:06 am
    Long ago JimTheBeerGuy started a sandwich blog. What is cool is he replicates sandwiches he's learned about. This is cool because we just cannot go everywhere we wish.

This is a link to a Sailor's Sandwich from Richmond, VA consisting of a grilled and split and griddled knockwurst over a base of pastrami with melted Swiss cheese between two griddle-toasted on the outside slices of rye bread.

You want more details: go here.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #204 - November 28th, 2018, 11:28 am
    Post #204 - November 28th, 2018, 11:28 am Post #204 - November 28th, 2018, 11:28 am
    Forgot about this thread...

Two sandwiches, neither of which I can finish anymore without a fair amount of gastric distress:

Eastern Style Italian Beef Grinder: with garlic spread, red sauce and sweet peppers, this baby is toasted in the pizza oven until almost burnt, and loudly sliced in half before wrapped. That and an RC cola from the long-shuttered Dempster St. store used to be my go-to meal at the Sunset Drive-In on Touhy just west of McCormick. Froze my butt off there for my 17th birthday watching 'Magnum Force'.

Al's Big Beef: They didn't call it a 'big beef' then; it just was, for about half the price. But it still tastes the same--hot, sweet & wet, making the bread pretty much fall apart. The confluence of the soaked bread, shards of beef & the homemade giardiniera is a taste I've been drawn back to repeatedly since the 1970's.

Eastern Style Pizza
    2901 W. Touhy
    Chicago, IL 60645
    (773) 761-4070

Al's #1 Italian Beef
    1079 W. Taylor St.
    Chicago, IL
    (312) 226-4017
  • Post #205 - December 3rd, 2018, 11:41 am
    Post #205 - December 3rd, 2018, 11:41 am Post #205 - December 3rd, 2018, 11:41 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Long ago JimTheBeerGuy started a sandwich blog. What is cool is he replicates sandwiches he's learned about. This is cool because we just cannot go everywhere we wish.

This is a link to a Sailor's Sandwich from Richmond, VA consisting of a grilled and split and griddled knockwurst over a base of pastrami with melted Swiss cheese between two griddle-toasted on the outside slices of rye bread.

You want more details: go here.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Thanks for the shout out Cathy! And to keep with the spirit of the thread, another addition to the best sandwich in Chicago consideration, when available, would be the pork chop bun from Fat Rice. Nothing fancy, just a good crusty bread roll and a thin bone-in pork chop fried crisp, served with some Chinese mustard, shrimp crackers, and curried cabbage.

Of course my favorite sandwich is generally the one in front of me.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #206 - December 5th, 2018, 9:52 pm
    Post #206 - December 5th, 2018, 9:52 pm Post #206 - December 5th, 2018, 9:52 pm
    I nominate the London Turkey Club at The Globe Pub, whose kitchen cranks-out great and authentic English pub fare.

Ciabatta roll, shaved house-roasted turkey breast, English bacon, a fried egg, Roma tomatoes, lettuce and garlic aioli, served with steak fries.
  • Post #207 - December 6th, 2018, 12:25 pm
    Post #207 - December 6th, 2018, 12:25 pm Post #207 - December 6th, 2018, 12:25 pm
    I was in heaven when I ate the English Muffin & Truffle Sausage with Foie Gras Butter, Fried Egg & Membrillo at Purple Pig. That sandwich was incredible.
  • Post #208 - December 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm
    Post #208 - December 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm Post #208 - December 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm
    Could it be the Dante at Tempesta Market?

The Dante
    Hot Soppressata, Mortadella, Finnochinoa, Hot Coppa, Porchetta, Provolone, Giardiniera, ‘Nduja Aioli, Lettuce, and Tomato (I generally nix the tomato) on a Baguette

Tempesta Market
    1372 W Grand Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 929-2551

=R=
  • Post #209 - December 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm
    Post #209 - December 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm Post #209 - December 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm
    ld111134 wrote:I nominate the London Turkey Club at The Globe Pub, whose kitchen cranks-out great and authentic English pub fare.

Speaking of turkey clubs, I had an exceptional one yesterday at Tavern on Rush. Unlike most club sandwiches it was a single-decker, but the ingredients were ample and satisfying. Turkey, avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, on some kind of whole-grain rye thinly spread with slightly spicy aioli. Whole greater than sum of already-superior parts; everything worked together beautifully.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #210 - December 6th, 2018, 5:03 pm
    Post #210 - December 6th, 2018, 5:03 pm Post #210 - December 6th, 2018, 5:03 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Could it be the Dante at Tempesta Market?

Tempesta has certainly upped the sandwich game around here. On my best of the year list, they've got three entries (so far) including the Dante which seems to just get better.

That said, a few weeks ago I tried the "Smashville" which is their take on a Nashville hot chicken sandwich. Oh no they didn't soak that thing in hot nduja oil! They did, and it will kill you, but Jesus and the Mary Chain, that thing was delicious!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more