LTH Home

Memo's Taco Mex in NWI

Memo's Taco Mex in NWI
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Memo's Taco Mex in NWI

Post #1 - April 4th, 2011, 8:53 am
    Post #1 - April 4th, 2011, 8:53 am Post #1 - April 4th, 2011, 8:53 am
    Thought it might be time to establish a thread for Memo's since it gets a fair number of mentions and seems to have a bit of love on this board.

This weekend's trip included a healing bowl of Carne En Su Jugo, an always delicious carnitas taco (they serve the carnitas in nice hunks--not as crispy as I usually like but really good flavor and not too saucy!), a complimentary pork taco of some kind (they were slammed and a bit chaotic at prime time midday on Saturday but no issues there--we were served a large bowl of CESJ instead of the small we ordered and the (delicious) mis-delivered taco!), tangy guacamole, a very fresh ceviche tostado (one of the day's specials), well-executed chilaquiles and more.

One of my favorite things about Memo's is the wide variety of salsas/sauces--they serve two small ramekins with the chips--a freshly made tomato based salsa and a salsa picante version with a pepper and onion base. Then they have 3 squeeze bottles--one of my favorite tomatillo salsas anywhere, as well 2 other red versions--guessing one is a chipotle and the other is definitely spicier--habanero probably. Given all of my chip/salsa/guacamole experimentation (so many great combinations!), I usually have lots of leftovers which works out perfectly. And don't forget to take home a sack of tamales--one of the best freezer snacks ever invented (and probably a fine entry in the 2 buck snack discussion!)

For anyone looking for a nice trip through the area, might I suggest starting with a Cal City Special at Lincoln O's, a stop at Memo's for a taco or soup and a final stop at Three Floyds for a brew--the path forms a nice triangle!!

Memo's Taco Mex
    2128 45th St
    Highland, IN 46322
    (219) 934-7300
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #2 - April 6th, 2011, 4:26 pm
    Post #2 - April 6th, 2011, 4:26 pm Post #2 - April 6th, 2011, 4:26 pm
    I love the Torta Ahogadas on the weekends. The carnitas is delicious and they use a nice spicy red sauce on it. The roll is a bigger, tougher roll than used on regular tortas. No picking it up and eating it, it's a knife and fork sandwich for sure. I know I have a pic somewhere, I'll try and find it.

I was kind of hoping they would expand into the empty place next door that was Buffa Louies so it would be easier to get a table. I'm really glad they are doing so well though.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more