LTH Home

Kouign-amann in the Chicago area?

Kouign-amann in the Chicago area?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - November 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm
    Post #61 - November 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm Post #61 - November 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm
    Those who are happy that kouign amanns are relatively scarce, as a constraint on how many they can get and consume, aren't going to be happy about this one.

You can find kouign amanns at... wait for it... Panera Bread. As they do with some of their other products, they make up their own cutesy name for them. They don't call it a kouign amann; they call it a "brittany", which makes perfect sense since that's the French province where the kouign amann originated. This morning at their location at Golf Mill, they had two kinds, one with a cream cheese topping and the other with a cherry topping. I didn't even realize it was a kouign amann until I bit into it (hence the photo), but one bite and there was no doubt, it's the real thing.

• Post #62 - November 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm
    Post #62 - November 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm Post #62 - November 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm
    I was happy to see that Sunset Foods is starting to carry some of Hewn's bakery products on weekends.

• Post #63 - November 14th, 2020, 4:16 pm
    Post #63 - November 14th, 2020, 4:16 pm Post #63 - November 14th, 2020, 4:16 pm
    shorty wrote:I was happy to see that Sunset Foods is starting to carry some of Hewn's bakery products on weekends.

Beautiful!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #64 - November 24th, 2020, 11:00 am
    Post #64 - November 24th, 2020, 11:00 am Post #64 - November 24th, 2020, 11:00 am
    Lost Larson has a fantastic Kouign-amann that I didn't see mentioned outright in the Lost Larson thread. Ranks up there with the best I've had (b. patisserie in SF makes really great ones!).
  • Post #65 - April 7th, 2021, 5:25 am
    Post #65 - April 7th, 2021, 5:25 am Post #65 - April 7th, 2021, 5:25 am
    Good Ambler in Fulton Market makes them - 216 N Peoria St. More or less around the corner from Publican, Next, Roister, etc.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #66 - April 7th, 2021, 9:45 am
    Post #66 - April 7th, 2021, 9:45 am Post #66 - April 7th, 2021, 9:45 am
    Lost Larson which now is also in Wicker Park. Also Floriole. I don't know if they are still open.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #67 - April 7th, 2021, 10:11 am
    Post #67 - April 7th, 2021, 10:11 am Post #67 - April 7th, 2021, 10:11 am
    toria wrote:Also Floriole. I don't know if they are still open.

Floriole is still open. You can't go inside, but you can order ahead online and pick up Wednesdays through Sundays.
  • Post #68 - July 29th, 2021, 8:59 am
    Post #68 - July 29th, 2021, 8:59 am Post #68 - July 29th, 2021, 8:59 am
    marothisu wrote:Good Ambler in Fulton Market makes them - 216 N Peoria St. More or less around the corner from Publican, Next, Roister, etc.

Yes they do. And theirs are absolutely outstanding.

Good Ambler
    Café, bakery, and chocolatier in Fulton Market
    216 N Peoria
    Chicago, IL 60607
    312-872-7165

• Post #69 - July 5th, 2022, 1:48 pm
    Post #69 - July 5th, 2022, 1:48 pm Post #69 - July 5th, 2022, 1:48 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    marothisu wrote:Good Ambler in Fulton Market makes them - 216 N Peoria St. More or less around the corner from Publican, Next, Roister, etc.

Good Ambler
    216 N Peoria
    Chicago, IL 60607
    312-872-7165

I got more kouign amanns at Good Ambler this morning. They are still absolutely outstanding! It's also worth noting their ample supply; they had 8-10 of them at 11:30 this morning.
  • Post #70 - July 5th, 2022, 4:17 pm
    Post #70 - July 5th, 2022, 4:17 pm Post #70 - July 5th, 2022, 4:17 pm
    According to the website for Aya Pastry on West Grand, you can order kouign amann from them. Anybody try theirs yet?

see the photo of theirs on their website

Aya Pastry
    1332 W Grand Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60642
    Between Elizabeth and Ada Street
  • Post #71 - July 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm
    Post #71 - July 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm Post #71 - July 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm
    Another place that has them on the menu is Publican Quality Bread at 1759 W. Grand. Anybody try theirs yet?
  • Post #72 - July 9th, 2022, 1:28 pm
    Post #72 - July 9th, 2022, 1:28 pm Post #72 - July 9th, 2022, 1:28 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Another place that has them on the menu is Publican Quality Bread at 1759 W. Grand. Anybody try theirs yet?

I haven't been to the new location, but the Publican kouign amann are carried at Bucktown Marketplace on Western and we buy them regularly, including this week. The flavor profile varies a little bit from time to time - sometimes more cardamom-y, sometimes tiny flecks of chocolate, sometimes more rye-y. So they don't necessarily feel like the pure caramel you get in the more classic version at like Floriole, but the texture is very good.
  • Post #73 - July 15th, 2022, 2:58 pm
    Post #73 - July 15th, 2022, 2:58 pm Post #73 - July 15th, 2022, 2:58 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    nsxtasy wrote:

Good Ambler
    216 N Peoria
    Chicago, IL 60607
    312-872-7165

I got more kouign amanns at Good Ambler this morning. They are still absolutely outstanding! It's also worth noting their ample supply; they had 8-10 of them at 11:30 this morning.

They had plenty of kouign amanns at about the same time today. They also had some very nice almond bostock. And they had "cruffins"; for a cruffin, they bake croissant dough in the shape of a muffin (in a muffin tin, I presume) and then they fill it with vanilla pastry cream. It looks like this:
  • Post #74 - August 9th, 2022, 3:42 pm
    Post #74 - August 9th, 2022, 3:42 pm Post #74 - August 9th, 2022, 3:42 pm
    Yesterday I went around kouign amann tasting.

I went to Publican Quality Breads. Their approach is the crème brulee of kouign amanns. The body of their kouign amann is savory, not at all sweet, but it comes with a layer of crunchy bruleed sugar, as shown in the photo below. It was also redolent of coffee; I don't know whether they actually use any as an ingredient, or if the ones I tried were just located next to the coffee bar long enough to pick up the scent. I wasn't particularly fond of theirs (although their croissants were excellent).
    I also went to Aya Pastry. Theirs is a more conventional approach, with the consistency of a sticky bun. It was okay (but Good Ambler is still the best in town for my money).
    Both of these places are on Grand Avenue. If you go there by car, be aware that there is major construction on Grand, and it's down to one lane, eastbound only.
  • Post #75 - September 17th, 2022, 5:27 pm
    Post #75 - September 17th, 2022, 5:27 pm Post #75 - September 17th, 2022, 5:27 pm
    Eater recently updated their list of The Hottest Bakeries in Chicago. On it, I noticed a place I have never heard of, that has kouign amanns on their website menu: Loaf Lounge, in Logan Square. Anybody tried theirs yet? Otherwise I'm sure I'll make it there some time soon...
  • Post #76 - September 18th, 2022, 7:14 am
    Post #76 - September 18th, 2022, 7:14 am Post #76 - September 18th, 2022, 7:14 am
    nsxtasy wrote:Eater recently updated their list of The Hottest Bakeries in Chicago. On it, I noticed a place I have never heard of, that has kouign amanns on their website menu: Loaf Lounge, in Logan Square. Anybody tried theirs yet? Otherwise I'm sure I'll make it there some time soon...

Yes, I now live a few minutes' walk from Loaf Lounge. I have tried a variety of their pastries, including kouign-amman.

I'd say they are on par with the other "pretty good" places around town, by which I mean it can scratch the itch if you are in the mood for it, but it's not special enough for me to go out of my way for (e.g. Aya Pastry). These were a bit too sweet for my taste, the outer shell wasn't quite as crisp as I like (just felt less structured/shattering texture I associate with a good bake), and didn't have the caramelized/burnt sugar flavor that I think can make these stand out.

I love flaky pastries and was psyched to see a bakery so close that did them. I'm not rushing back. They just opened so maybe I'll wait a month or so and try again.

I miss the pastries at Cellar Door. These were, to my taste, the best we had in the city by a wide margin. I never tried those from Bad Wold/Loba Pastry. I'd be happy to do so if they reopen.

Currently, for these sorts of flaky pastries, PQB and Kasama are probably the best I've tried of late, although still below what I thought Cellar Door was turning out. Sometimes convenience gets the best of me and I grab one at Vernezay at the Green City Market, which are also in the pretty good category (though I think I liked them better than Loaf Lounge).
  • Post #77 - September 18th, 2022, 10:08 am
    Post #77 - September 18th, 2022, 10:08 am Post #77 - September 18th, 2022, 10:08 am
    Thanks for your report on Loaf Lounge!

I assume from your post that Cellar Door no longer sells pastries, based also on their current hours (opening at 5 pm on the days they're open).

I too absolutely loved the ones from Bad Wolf, back in 2013-2015. Right now I absolutely love the ones from Good Ambler, easily the best ones I've had recently in Chicagoland (unless you use an expanded definition to include Milwaukee, in which case the ones from Rocket Baby Bakery are equally good). I haven't been to Floriole in a while, and going back is on my list.
  • Post #78 - September 20th, 2022, 8:40 pm
    Post #78 - September 20th, 2022, 8:40 pm Post #78 - September 20th, 2022, 8:40 pm
    Based on some of the discussion here, I went in to try Good Ambler's flaky pastries. I got a kouign-amann and a raspberry (I think?) croissant.

I once again found the kouign amann a bit too sweet and under-caramelized for my taste.

Maybe I am romanticizing the no-longer-available version from CDP (yes, they are dinner-only and have stopped producing pastries for over a year now). Or maybe I am accurately remembering it and it just isn't the standard way of preparing kouign amann. But nothing I've found since scratches the itch like theirs did.

That being said, nxtasy, I might advise you to try Loaf Lounge and Vernezay. I thought that the qualities of the kouign amann I had at Good Ambler were similar to what I've had at the other establishments. Like they might be cousins on a family tree. And if you disagree, feel free to let me know how you find them different. I probably group them because I thought them well made, but lacking in comparison to an ideal.

From a technical and visual standpoint, the croissant was perhaps the most impressively constructed laminated pastry I've seen around these parts. There was both a berry and cream filling and a series of berry stripes impeccably applied to the top (this was probably a thicker confection, like a reduced jam that would set). I should have snapped a picture. Alas, I thought this was also too sweet and overfilled to boot (yes, I am complaining about too much filling in a croissant; label me as you like).

So ultimately I came way thinking that Good Ambler knows exactly what they want to do and are executing at a very high level. But it seems that what they are achieving is still a bit different than what I am seeking.
  • Post #79 - September 20th, 2022, 11:39 pm
    Post #79 - September 20th, 2022, 11:39 pm Post #79 - September 20th, 2022, 11:39 pm
    For me, the kouign amanns at Good Ambler have the perfect amount of sweetness and caramelization, and at too many other places they are insufficiently sweet or caramelized. In that respect, the ones at Good Ambler are a lot like the ones from Bad Wolf.

I'll have to try the ones at Loaf Lounge and at Verzenay (that's the proper spelling), which in addition to Green City Market now have their own shop about a block north of the Biograph Theater. Note that both places are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. So is Southern France (also closed Wednesdays and Thursdays), whose croissants are possibly the best in the city and mentioned having kouign amanns last weekend on their Facebook page.
  • Post #80 - September 25th, 2022, 6:31 pm
    Post #80 - September 25th, 2022, 6:31 pm Post #80 - September 25th, 2022, 6:31 pm
    If you ever happen to be in Iowa City, the kouign amanns at Deluxe Cakes and Pastries are decent:
    However, for me, their standout is their cinnamon rolls. They are virtually identical to the ones at long-closed Fox & Obel, which I always considered the very best I have ever had. Deluxe's:
  • Post #81 - October 6th, 2022, 9:36 am
    Post #81 - October 6th, 2022, 9:36 am Post #81 - October 6th, 2022, 9:36 am
    nsxtasy wrote:I'll have to try the ones at Loaf Lounge and at Verzenay (that's the proper spelling), which in addition to Green City Market now have their own shop about a block north of the Biograph Theater.

This morning I made the inconvenient (for me) trek to Verzenay, only to find that they had no kouign amanns, and none of some of their other items (brioche). So I'll just have to scratch them off my list, while providing this tip to others: If there's anything you really want when you're headed to Verzenay, order it in advance. (I did get a few items they had. Their croissants are outstanding, and the cherry chocolate chip bread pudding is also excellent.)

This experience contrasts with Good Ambler, which not only has kouign amanns that are amazingly delicious IMHO, but every time I've been there, they have always had plenty (8-10) of them.
  • Post #82 - October 31st, 2022, 2:26 pm
    Post #82 - October 31st, 2022, 2:26 pm Post #82 - October 31st, 2022, 2:26 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Good Ambler, which not only has kouign amanns that are amazingly delicious IMHO, but every time I've been there, they have always had plenty (8-10) of them.

Little did I know...

Last week I stopped at Good Ambler in the morning. I saw seven kouign amanns in the display case, so I ordered seven of them. Instead of giving me the ones on display, they had lots more (maybe a couple dozen!) behind the counter, from which they filled my order!
  • Post #83 - November 10th, 2022, 1:11 pm
    Post #83 - November 10th, 2022, 1:11 pm Post #83 - November 10th, 2022, 1:11 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Eater recently updated their list of The Hottest Bakeries in Chicago. On it, I noticed a place I have never heard of, that has kouign amanns on their website menu: Loaf Lounge, in Logan Square. Anybody tried theirs yet? Otherwise I'm sure I'll make it there some time soon...

...and today is the day!

I tried their kouign amann and I think it's very good indeed! Theirs has a crunchy caramelized sugar layer on the bottom, but not as thick as PQB's, and there is sugar/sweetness throughout the rest of the kouign amann. The level of sweetness is perfect IMHO - sweet but not too sweet, and the texture is a nice mix of crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside. Really nice.

Like Good Ambler, Loaf Lounge has more kouign amanns below the counter, not just the ones on display, so they had plenty when I was there. Loaf Lounge displays theirs with the layer of crunchy caramelized sugar on top, whereas I usually see them with that flat side on the bottom. Hence two photos.

They have a parking lot for customers, which is a big convenience; the entrance to the lot from Milwaukee Avenue is right next to the store, and there's also an entrance from Central Park Avenue. By public transit, you can take the 56 bus up Milwaukee Avenue from the Logan Square stop on the Blue Line.

A few days ago there was a big article in the Tribune about Loaf Lounge (click here), which convinced me to get one of their capicola breakfast sandwiches, and this too was pretty darn awesome. So is the loaf of caramelized onion bread I got. I didn't get the bear chocolate cake touted in the article, but I will next time (and I will be back).

• Post #84 - November 13th, 2022, 1:49 pm
    Post #84 - November 13th, 2022, 1:49 pm Post #84 - November 13th, 2022, 1:49 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    bon2mic wrote:I went to Hewn last weekend and tried the Kouign-amann. It was just okay. There was no crunchy sugar on top, which I, personally love. It was more like brushed with liquid sugar. And the dough itself didn't get that soft, moist bit in the middle - really it was more like a croissant with sweeter outside layer. I have to say that I am no expert on what it 'should' be, but I didn't find this one as interesting as others I have had.

I agree. Theirs is not as sweet, not as flavorful, and rather dry. It was much more similar to a croissant than to other kouign amanns I've had; I was thinking this to myself even before I searched for this topic and found your post saying much the same thing. This is the kouign amann I bought at Hewn in Evanston today:

I noticed that the kouign amann photo on Hewn's website no longer looks like the one above, so I went there today for another try. The one I got today looks like the photo on their website:
    As you can see, it no longer has that layer of liquid sugar brushed onto it. My previous opinion still holds; it's a bit less sweet than most, etc. Decent, not awful, but not Chicago's best.

They also have a "morning bun" which is actually quite similar, except in shape. It's made from layered dough like a croissant or kouign amann and even has a slightly gooey sweet bottom layer like a kouign amann. Like their kouign amann, it's not all that sweet, which some may prefer.
    Although not shown on their website, today they also had caneles, which were still warm and pretty darn good:
  • Post #85 - November 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm
    Post #85 - November 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm Post #85 - November 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm
    Eater's latest listing of new brunches notes that Pompette, in Bucktown, has kouign amanns on their brunch menu.
  • Post #86 - December 4th, 2022, 11:14 am
    Post #86 - December 4th, 2022, 11:14 am Post #86 - December 4th, 2022, 11:14 am
    Here's a brie and apple butter kouign amann I picked up today from the Au Levain Bakery pop-up. It's excellent (even though the added toppings aren't necessarily traditional). :)
    Last edited by nsxtasy on December 4th, 2022, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #87 - December 4th, 2022, 1:51 pm
    Post #87 - December 4th, 2022, 1:51 pm Post #87 - December 4th, 2022, 1:51 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Here's a brie and apple butter kouign amann I picked up today from the Au Levain Bakery pop-up. The good news is, it's excellent. :) The bad news is, they omitted another item I ordered, which I didn't discover till I drove all the way home. :(

I get that you’re super peeved about this, since you’ve now posted about it in multiple threads, but did you bother calling when you got home to let them know and give them a chance to make good? Mistakes happen and most places will rectify it (refund, credit on next order, etc).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #88 - December 4th, 2022, 3:25 pm
    Post #88 - December 4th, 2022, 3:25 pm Post #88 - December 4th, 2022, 3:25 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:I get that you’re super peeved about this, since you’ve now posted about it in multiple threads

I've removed the reference to the missing item above, since it's not relevant to the quality of the kouign amann, which was really good.

boudreaulicious wrote:did you bother calling when you got home to let them know and give them a chance to make good? Mistakes happen and most places will rectify it (refund, credit on next order, etc).

They don't have a phone number. I used the contact page on their website to let them know. No word yet, but it's Sunday, their pickup day, and I'm sure they're busy with that.
  • Post #89 - December 22nd, 2022, 5:22 pm
    Post #89 - December 22nd, 2022, 5:22 pm Post #89 - December 22nd, 2022, 5:22 pm
    Speaking of non-traditional kouign amann fillings, the other day I picked up this raspberry-filled kouign amann from Alliance Bakery in Wicker Park:
    It was okay, although the sweetness came from the raspberry filling and it didn't have the buttery sweetness that the best kouign amanns have.

The real treat I got there, though, was this "morning roll", which I thought was absolutely heavenly, with a bit of cinnamon streusel filling and just a slight hint of orange:
    When I go somewhere to try a kouign amann and end up loving something else they have there, I consider that a win! (And this is not the first place that has happened.)
  • Post #90 - December 28th, 2022, 3:03 pm
    Post #90 - December 28th, 2022, 3:03 pm Post #90 - December 28th, 2022, 3:03 pm
    As noted above, the cardamom kouign amann at Kasama is excellent. In general, the pastries at Kasama are all excellent, and our favorite in the city. The foie gras pastry strip is our top favorite, but other excellent options are the truffle croissant and the "ham and cheese".

It's hard to compare items that are not side by side, but both my wife and I thought Kasama pastries were better than the ones we had at Bouchon Bakery in Napa and Dominique Ansel in NYC, which were both very good. I'll happily still go to Floriole and other good Chicago bakeries, but Kasama is at another level. . . and pastries are just their side gig.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more