LTH Home

BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]

BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 7
  • BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]

Post #1 - July 15th, 2010, 5:33 am
    Post #1 - July 15th, 2010, 5:33 am Post #1 - July 15th, 2010, 5:33 am
    Seen these guys in the press a little as of late, anyone know more about their opening?

http://chicago.grubstreet.com/2010/07/y ... ue_at.html

http://www.nbcchicago.com/feast/Rub-BBQ ... 46309.html

Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse
    6954 N. Western Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60645
    http://www.backcountryq.com

Mod Edit:
    formerly Rub BBQ
    2407 W. Lunt
    Chicago, IL 60645
    773-675-1410
  • Post #2 - July 15th, 2010, 8:15 am
    Post #2 - July 15th, 2010, 8:15 am Post #2 - July 15th, 2010, 8:15 am
    ajchicago wrote:Seen these guys in the press a little as of late, anyone know more about their opening?

Interesting that both of the linked bits above are based on our (well, my) original post about Rub. More evidence of LTHForum media dominance.... Cabbagehead and I will be trying their food at an upcoming fundraising event and will report on our impressions.
  • Post #3 - July 15th, 2010, 8:38 am
    Post #3 - July 15th, 2010, 8:38 am Post #3 - July 15th, 2010, 8:38 am
    ajchicago wrote:Seen these guys in the press a little as of late, anyone know more about their opening?

There is a phone number on their facebook page. Why don't you call and report back?
  • Post #4 - August 4th, 2010, 2:59 pm
    Post #4 - August 4th, 2010, 2:59 pm Post #4 - August 4th, 2010, 2:59 pm
    They opened today.

http://www.rubbbqcompany.com
  • Post #5 - August 4th, 2010, 4:18 pm
    Post #5 - August 4th, 2010, 4:18 pm Post #5 - August 4th, 2010, 4:18 pm
    Hi,

I just saw a picture of their ribs via Kevin Pang. He liked them, though the picture was unappetizing. I look forward to pics and reports.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - August 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm
    Post #6 - August 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm Post #6 - August 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I just saw a picture of their ribs via Kevin Pang. He liked them, though the picture was unappetizing. I look forward to pics and reports.

Regards,

Liked 'em too.
  • Post #7 - August 6th, 2010, 11:07 am
    Post #7 - August 6th, 2010, 11:07 am Post #7 - August 6th, 2010, 11:07 am
    I went there on Wednesday, they didn't have any brisket or mac yet.

The ribs were quite tasty with moderate smokiness and a rub that was nicely balanced between spicy and sweet that was applied with a light hand so it didn't overpower the meat. While not dry, they weren't juicy expect for the one piece where the tip hadn't been removed . Some of the pieces were a bit fatty, some greasy; but overall they were the best I've had north of Fullerton.

The beans were really great, a sort of cross between baked beans and chili. The serving size was quite large compared to a typical BBQ side but I couldn't keep from eating the whole thing.

The sheet cake was moist, had a rich chocolate taste and was thankfully not too sweet.

They forgot to give me the slaw and the sauce with my takeout order. The current voice mail message gives a different phone number than what you dialed. So expect some start-up miscues.

Keep in mind that the photos currently on their web site have absolutely nothing to do with what they actually serve.
  • Post #8 - August 23rd, 2010, 11:09 am
    Post #8 - August 23rd, 2010, 11:09 am Post #8 - August 23rd, 2010, 11:09 am
    I'd been anxiously awaiting the opening of Rub BBQ as it is located between my office and home - fostering thoughts that it could be the go-to BBQ place for carryout weeknight dinner. With my hopes high, I stopped in on Friday nite and ordered a variety of items to take home for our taste test.

Full-slab of ribs: While I thought the texture was okay (toothsome, not dried out), the flavor was very boring. They were flavorless enough that I had to add salt. There wasn't much smokiness - no discernable smoke ring. At $18 per order, these were a thumbs down for my husband and myself. I don't know how they are served in the restaurant, but they are cut into individual ribs for take out.

Pulled pork: The meat was tender and had a good smokey flavor. It was fine - not great. Not enough to get me back in the door again.

Brisket: If this meat was ever on the smoker, there was no evidence of it. No smoke ring at all. It tasted like roast beef with some spices on it. I wouldn't call it juicy, tender and moist is probably the best description. Again, I had to use the salt shaker. Bummer, cuz I really love good brisket.

"Spiral Staircase of Cheese": The noodles were overcooked and falling apart, which made the fact that it was very dry even worse. I don't think that rainbow rotini is a good idea for a mac and cheese that you need to be sturdy enough to stir and run serving spoons thru. We got a whole order at $6.99, and each of us took one bite and the rest went into the trash.

Meaty beans: The very generous amount of sausage that is included in this dish made it very good. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the beans have more of a chili texture than I expected. But since I love chili, I didn't object. After all, they are called "meaty beans".

Cole Slaw: Run of the mill cole slaw. Seemed to have been made fresh that day. Nothing special, it is just fine.

Custard-filled Cornbread: While this was very tasty and rich (like a mix of cornbread and good creamed corn), I'm still not crazy about the texture. It was a very generous serving, and I'm sure those looking for a non-traditional cornbread experience will enjoy it.

Texas Sheet Cake: This was the winner of the meal. Tastes just like the sheetcake that is served when I visit family in Texas. It also reminds me a little of the Coca-Cola cake from my childhood.

Overall, I'm disappointed in my experience at Rub BBQ. The two sauces didn't really grab my attention, and other than color, I couldn't tell the spicy from the regular one. The order listed above was about $65. Because we didn't like much of the meat, we ate small portions and there was very little left - seemed like they were small servings. For my $$ I could have done much better at Honey1 (my fave) or at Smoque. If I were forced to go back, I'd get an order of beans and a piece of sheet cake.
    vickyp
  • Post #9 - August 23rd, 2010, 12:02 pm
    Post #9 - August 23rd, 2010, 12:02 pm Post #9 - August 23rd, 2010, 12:02 pm
    I went back to Rub for further evaluation and found that the opening day food was better than what is coming out now. The ribs are now kind of one note without the nice balance of spice and heat and little or no smoke flavor. The second sample of meaty beans I had was OK but had less depth of flavor than on opening day. I also tried the brisket, which was unavailable on opening day and found that it was very salty with no trace of smoke.
  • Post #10 - August 25th, 2010, 5:14 pm
    Post #10 - August 25th, 2010, 5:14 pm Post #10 - August 25th, 2010, 5:14 pm
    had lunch here today
    i liked the ribs alot,nice rub(sauce on the side)
    but the stand out is the cornbread side dish
    small place, the way i like them.
    great service.
    i would go again :mrgreen:
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #11 - October 6th, 2010, 12:57 pm
    Post #11 - October 6th, 2010, 12:57 pm Post #11 - October 6th, 2010, 12:57 pm
    Sorry to say that this place made me feel like just because you can open a BBQ place, doesn't mean you should.

Had lunch from here today, which was decidedly awful across the board. It was carry-out but none of the problems with the food seemed related to that fact.

Pulled Pork and Brisket
    Neither tasted like they'd been anywhere near any smoke. They tasted like oven-cooked meats and were both very greasy -- not fatty but greasy.

Ribs (spares)
    Cooked to a nice consistency (meat tugged away from the bone and didn't fall off) but way oversalted/brined/marinated. The net effect was that the ribs were far more like jerky than fresh pork.

Pulled Chicken Salad
    Chicken here was WAY oversalted. And there was a heavy-handed use of sage, probably seasoning the chicken. The salad itself was well-conceived, with mixed field greens, corn and pulled chicken but again the chicken was just destroyed with salt.

Baked Beans
    A greasy mix of mushy beans and relatively flavorless, unidentifiable ground meat. The only thing I could taste here was sage because there was WAY too much of it. Just awful.

Corn Bread (Casserole)
    Definitely had potential in a white trash decadant sort of way but it was really bland. Not sure if it was actually undersalted or if my palate was just blown out from all the other overly salty items.

Sauces
    The darker sauce tasted like cough syrup. The lighter sauce tasted like baby aspirin. IMO, neither was worthy of being served.

Sorry to say that this was just not good on any level. Perhaps it's a work in progress but these items were so far from acceptable, it's going to take an immense amount of work to bring the food even into the acceptable range.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #12 - October 7th, 2010, 5:33 pm
    Post #12 - October 7th, 2010, 5:33 pm Post #12 - October 7th, 2010, 5:33 pm
    Ronnie ,

I feel your pain. The learning curve should be over by now. I had the same experience over 6 weeks ago. The beans tasted as you described, Never had BBQ beans taste like an herb!? The meats did not taste like smoked BBQ. Kind of sad.
    Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?...........Louis Armstrong
  • Post #13 - October 8th, 2010, 8:53 am
    Post #13 - October 8th, 2010, 8:53 am Post #13 - October 8th, 2010, 8:53 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Corn Bread (Casserole)
    Definitely had potential in a white trash decadant sort of way but it was really bland. Not sure if it was actually undersalted or if my palate was just blown out from all the other overly salty items.
    I've been twice, wrote about Rub for the Reader and loved the cornbread, recipe directly from the Settlement Cookbook, with the addition of whole corn kernels. I've been planning to dig out my Settlement cookbook and make a batch, though with the addition of jalapeno as well as corn. I should qualify my enthusiasm slightly as piping hot served in-house the warm custard interior is delicious counterpoint to lightly glazed cornbread. Next day, portions are large and I took half a piece home, straight from the fridge Rub's cornbread lost much of its sparkle, I made a mental note to reheat in the future.

Custard-filled Cornbread

Spare ribs are light on smoke, very light, but meaty with good chew and clear pork flavor. Brisket tasted more braised then smoked and Rub BBQ's pulled pork, in my opinion, should be rethought.

Spare Ribs

Pulled Pork

Brisket

Customers, at least warm in-house, seem to love the meaty beans. What was edited out of my Reader review was the fact there is liq*id sm*ke in the mix, seems I got a little wordy expressing my disdain for the malevolent mucus.

Meaty Beans

Rub's gigantic Bar-B-Cookie with vanilla bean ice cream is a treat, warm crisp-edge toll-house tasting chocolate chip cookie with a scoop of ice cream. Share amongst 3 or more, diabetics need not apply.

RUB Bar-B-Cookie

Smoker is an Imperial Chinese pig roaster which they MacGyvered by adding a side box with electric element. I applaud the ingenuity, though meats seem light on smoke flavor, possibly by design.

Chinese pig roaster as smoker

Rub BBQ is a family affair, dad, mom, baby, who works the room like a pro, sister and friend of the family, the fellow who makes DigDips, on hand when busy.

Jared, Amanda, Brighton

Friendly, comfortable, BYOB, reasonable prices, close-by liquor store, a nice neighborhood spot, not destination BBQ.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #14 - May 18th, 2011, 7:50 am
    Post #14 - May 18th, 2011, 7:50 am Post #14 - May 18th, 2011, 7:50 am
    G Wiv wrote:meats seem light on smoke flavor, possibly by design.
    Rub BBQ now has Mikeska sausage from Texas, same delicious sausage as Smoque. Keeping with the lighter on smoke flavor theme Rub grills as opposed to running the pre smoked sausage through a smoking cycle.

Mikeska Sausage

Rub has a new slaw, a variation on a Mike Mill's recipe, nice crunch, hint of sweet, I thought it went well with the Mikeska sausage and chips.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - May 18th, 2011, 7:53 am
    Post #15 - May 18th, 2011, 7:53 am Post #15 - May 18th, 2011, 7:53 am
    Gary, what do you think of home made liquid smoke? Just curious if there was any middle ground there :)
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #16 - May 18th, 2011, 9:04 am
    Post #16 - May 18th, 2011, 9:04 am Post #16 - May 18th, 2011, 9:04 am
    Octarine wrote:Gary, what do you think of home made liquid smoke? Just curious if there was any middle ground there :)
    No middle ground, I remain consistent in my disdain for the malevolent mucus be it home made or commercial.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - July 14th, 2012, 5:05 pm
    Post #17 - July 14th, 2012, 5:05 pm Post #17 - July 14th, 2012, 5:05 pm
    The food at Rub BBQ Company has improved quite a lot from the early days. A big factor is that early this year they brought in a new smoker using nothing but whole wood- no chips, no pellets, no charcoal, no gas. Lately, they seem to have hit their stride with the new smoker. The brisket-no longer spending time cooking in aluminum foil- is deeply flavored with a nice bark and while not the tenderest thing in the world, tender enough for me. The ribs are usually cooked just the way I like them, needing just a little tug to get the meat off; and while the smoke flavor is subtle, it is there.

You should know that the brisket goes in the smoker very early in the day and comes out around 6 PM, so for the freshest brisket go there for dinner.

The mac and cheese, now called Truffled Mac, has a lot more flavor than was normal in the early days, although the pasta tends to be a little left of Al Dente.

If you've been there before and been underwhelmed, the time has come to give them another try.
  • Post #18 - July 17th, 2012, 1:58 pm
    Post #18 - July 17th, 2012, 1:58 pm Post #18 - July 17th, 2012, 1:58 pm
    scottsol wrote:The food at Rub BBQ Company has improved quite a lot from the early days. A big factor is that early this year they brought in a new smoker using nothing but whole wood- no chips, no pellets, no charcoal, no gas. Lately, they seem to have hit their stride with the new smoker. The brisket-no longer spending time cooking in aluminum foil- is deeply flavored with a nice bark and while not the tenderest thing in the world, tender enough for me. The ribs are usually cooked just the way I like them, needing just a little tug to get the meat off; and while the smoke flavor is subtle, it is there.

You should know that the brisket goes in the smoker very early in the day and comes out around 6 PM, so for the freshest brisket go there for dinner.

The mac and cheese, now called Truffled Mac, has a lot more flavor than was normal in the early days, although the pasta tends to be a little left of Al Dente.

If you've been there before and been underwhelmed, the time has come to give them another try.

maybe I'll give it another try. We were there about a week after they opened and it was awful, one of the worst meals I've ever had. That corn bread with the custard in the middle might very well be the most disgusting thing I've ever sampled.
  • Post #19 - July 17th, 2012, 2:50 pm
    Post #19 - July 17th, 2012, 2:50 pm Post #19 - July 17th, 2012, 2:50 pm
    shakes wrote:maybe I'll give it another try.

Disclaimer: I'm friends with Jared, we are putting on the Windy City Rib Classic together.

The BBQ at Rub has done a 180 degree turn since they first opened, if you have not been in the last year give them another try.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - July 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm
    Post #20 - July 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm Post #20 - July 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm
    G Wiv wrote:The BBQ at Rub has done a 180 degree turn since they first opened, if you have not been in the last year give them another try.

I would even narrow the time frame to the past couple of months. The new smoker has been there, I think, about 7 months and the consistency seems to have improved quite a bit recently.
  • Post #21 - March 1st, 2013, 9:40 am
    Post #21 - March 1st, 2013, 9:40 am Post #21 - March 1st, 2013, 9:40 am
    As posted in the openings topic, starting today Rub has a new name and an expanded space and menu. Good luck! (I'm looking forward to trying it soon. Especially that custard-filled cornbread - sounds great!)

rubbbqco wrote:from a fairly reliable source:

Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse to open in a new space 6954 N. Western Ave. Formerly Rub BBQ Company, the new space is larger, has an expanded menu, using 2 100% hardwood burning smokers, and a wood-fired grill. We've added a wood-fire grilled sandwich menu: utilizing smoked meats to make unique sandwiches (think panini on a wood-fired grill), we're serving fresh-brewed root beer, our desserts are now taking a short turn in the smoker. We've really fine-tuned the machine, and are excited to open the new space. It seats about 40, still BYOB, really well-done space, comfy, bright, cool music (all vinyl, all day), same friendly staff with a few additions.

new website is live: http://www.backcountryq.com

We passed our final inspection a few days ago, and are all set to open 3/1/2013 at 11am for lunch.

Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse
    6954 N. Western Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60645
    http://www.backcountryq.com

FULL DISCLAIMER: As many of you know, I own Rub
  • Post #22 - March 1st, 2013, 9:39 pm
    Post #22 - March 1st, 2013, 9:39 pm Post #22 - March 1st, 2013, 9:39 pm
    Had a nice meal at Rub tonite. Wife and I had full slabs - me slaw and Mac & cheese; wife chips and slaw. Wife also had the cornbread.

Ribs were meaty with a nice level of smoke and good tug off the bone. I prefer a more "traditional" Mac & cheese; wife liked the cornbread, I didn't. Of the three options, both of us preferred the sweet chipotle sauce.

Had a nice chat with Jared and service was great. Will definitely return. Looking forward to the leftovers.
    "Call any vegetable...and the chances are good the vegetable will respond to you."
    --Frank Zappa
  • Post #23 - March 1st, 2013, 10:26 pm
    Post #23 - March 1st, 2013, 10:26 pm Post #23 - March 1st, 2013, 10:26 pm
    Nice to meet you guys! Good (re)-opening night...saw my friend scottsol too, he's been stickin around to see what's next from the beginning. We've appreciated the support and encouragement on our journey!

Sent from my iPh
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #24 - March 3rd, 2013, 12:33 pm
    Post #24 - March 3rd, 2013, 12:33 pm Post #24 - March 3rd, 2013, 12:33 pm
    Yesterday we had lunch at Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse. We liked it a lot!

This was our first visit; we had never been there before, neither their current location (which opened on Friday) or their previous incarnation as Rub's Barbecue (same building, but with the entrance around the corner on Lunt). I'm told they have a big sign but it hasn't been installed yet, so at the moment there is almost no signage. It's right next door to Jesse's Mexican Grill, just south of Lunt on Western.

When you walk in, you place your order and pay at the host stand at the entrance, then sit down. (This makes tipping a bit confusing, because if you want to put it on your charge slip, you have to guess at an amount to tip, and it's not clear whether this is a serve-yourself-drinks type place or not. As it turns out, the staff is very friendly and helpful with bringing food and drinks to the tables, so on our way out we took advantage of the tip jar at the host stand to add a few dollars to our previously charged tip amount.)

The seating consists of a row of basic wooden four-top tables with a bench on one side and chairs on the other. On the other side of the room is a table that would fit six, with benches, and a larger table with benches (formerly a church pew perhaps?). There are no smaller tables (no two-tops), and I'm not sure whether people sit with strangers when they get busy. They were actually rather busy on our Saturday lunchtime (roughly 12:45-1:45) with all the tables occupied but no one waiting for seating.

So how was the food? Very good indeed, and much better than the older posts above would indicate.

We had the spare ribs, which were in the dry-rub/smoked style. I really liked these. They were meaty and had a lot of smoked flavor; as noted above, the cooking techniques have changed and they now use only wood for cooking them, no gas or electric. The downside of spare ribs (compared with baby back ribs) is that they can be rather fatty, but not here! They were tender and moist, with a lot of meat but almost no fat, undoubtedly thanks to long slow cooking. Also, they were completely cut into individual ribs, so they were easy to eat without having to split them apart.

We also had the brisket, which was excellent as well. There was a definite smoked flavor, and the meat was incredibly moist and rich. (It looked nothing like the old photo posted above.) As is customary with brisket, there was fat that needed to be trimmed off, which was no big deal (although we mentioned to Jared that cutting and trimming the brisket would be easier if they were served on some sort of plate rather than in the small cardboard basket).

The sides were great too. We had the truffled mac and cheese, which had a lot of truffle flavor. It was not as hot as it should have been, though - Jared, I hope you're reading this! - so we ended up enjoying the leftovers more at home than the part we ate there.

Now, about that custard-filled cornbread. I thought it was great! Although, as Jared mentioned to us, it's a "love it or hate it" item; those who like it think it's terrific, and those that don't, really don't. Rub uses the classic recipe from Marion Cunningham in her cookbooks, the Fannie Farmer Cookbook and the Breakfast Book; in the latter, she mentions that it was popular in the thirties (and rediscovered by Jane Salfass Freimann). I found this website which gives the recipe with some nice step-by-step photos.

I also enjoyed the house-brewed root beer, but wasn't that wild about the iced tea (which will disappoint those who enjoy theirs on the strong side).

We didn't get to try the brisket burger, whose description on the menu sounds appealing also.

While we noticed quite a few folks stopping in for carry-out. I can understand how that would be; it's the kind of food that travels well, and on-street parking in the vicinity is easy.

All in all, I think Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse has some really good barbecue, and is worth trying for those who have never been, and worth a return for those who haven't been lately. We'll be back again soon!
  • Post #25 - March 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Post #25 - March 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm Post #25 - March 22nd, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Based on the Evanston Lunch Group visit to Rub's on March 21, 2013:

The thing that I liked best was Jared's genuine enthusiasm for BBQ and his hospitality, evidenced by the tour we received on the smoker room. The brisket was excellent, the ribs and sausage very good, the pulled pork a bit mushy, and the chicken a work in progress. The cornbread was considerable more moist than usual, to its credit (thanks to the custard) and the beans were very rich and flavorful. Although I ordered the Texas caviar (black-eye peas, peppers, etc), it will not be on my regular rotation. The truffled mac'n'cheese seemed out of place. At that price point there wasn't going to be real black truffles, so why go outside backcountry dishes?

I understand that Rub's is much improved, and if it continues to improve it might become a city-Q-destination. Right now it bests Merle's and certainly holds its own with Hecky's.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #26 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:25 pm
    Post #26 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:25 pm Post #26 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:25 pm
    I had lunch there last week. I was very impressed by the half slab - nice tug, good flavor. There might have been a little more smoke than I've come to prefer, but that might be a personal preference. Texture-wise, they were perfect. My friend had the pulled pork and enjoyed it, but it was served in a basket and was a little too watery to me. I'm guessing it was held that way and not drained well enough, but I didn't ask.

As for sides, I'll echo a lot of what GAF said. We enjoyed the beans and cornbread, although my friend enjoyed the beans a bit more than me. I found them just a little dry, and really didn't taste any smoke (although maybe that's how they're intended). And I agree that the truffle flavor in the mac & cheese just seemed wrong (actually, I'm quite over the truffle oil trend anyway). It was also served lukewarm, although it was nicely creamy.

Minor complaints aside, I'm pretty sure I'll return for the ribs and to try a few more items.
  • Post #27 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm
    Post #27 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm Post #27 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm
    GAF wrote:Right now it bests Merle's

Especially since Merle's has been closed for over a year. :lol:

I think it's much, MUCH better than Hecky's, too...
  • Post #28 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:06 pm
    Post #28 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:06 pm Post #28 - March 22nd, 2013, 5:06 pm
    Just shows how frequently I patronized Merles. RIP.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #29 - March 23rd, 2013, 7:24 am
    Post #29 - March 23rd, 2013, 7:24 am Post #29 - March 23rd, 2013, 7:24 am
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I do appreciate it. The truffled mac has a very interesting following. It seems that more of the "foodie" type people don't like it as much as the "regular Joe". That being said, we sell a lot of it - and I fear there would be a riot if I changed it.

The comments about it not being hot enough are being addressed. We make each dish to order - so the mac won't dry out. This means we hot hold the cheese béchamel, and combine pasta, cheese sauce, and truffle oil (We do serve this sans truffle oil by request) when an order comes in (rather than hot holding a large pan of ready made mac). I haven't figured out a great way to hot hold the pasta without making it mushy - I think the solution is to boil smaller batches of pasta more frequently - which is tough in a small kitchen with only two burners, but we'll figure it out.

Nice to hear the compliments, and I also do appreciate the constructive comments.... :)

Happy Q'in!
    Jared
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #30 - March 23rd, 2013, 7:41 am
    Post #30 - March 23rd, 2013, 7:41 am Post #30 - March 23rd, 2013, 7:41 am
    Have you tried pre cooking the pasta until a minute or two from being done, portioning, then finishing the cook as needed? Perhaps not ideal, but a lot better than hot holding.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more