LTH Home

The Purple Pig

The Purple Pig
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - November 8th, 2019, 8:27 am
    Post #151 - November 8th, 2019, 8:27 am Post #151 - November 8th, 2019, 8:27 am
    We went last night pre-theater. 6PM on a Thursday we walked in and got a table immediately (allegedly the last open 2-top).

Food was all top notch:
    Crispy Pig Ear - one of their classics. Slivers crispier than bacon, fried salty kale, pickled banana peppers and a perfectly gooey fried egg, it's the perfect Salt Fat Acid Heat combo. But it's a little hard to eat -- the piggy slivers aren't easily handled with a fork, and fingers are awkward with egg yolk. I'd have loved a pair of chopsticks. For a 'snack' this is a pretty substantial dish.

Leek Tart - Nice pastry crust, sweet leeks, accompanied by pickled carrots, a carrot-top pesto and (I think) creme fraiche. Absolutely delicious.

Partridge - Bacon-wrapped breast, roasted other parts, nice sauces, pickled beets. Aside from some small bone fragments, a wonderful dish.

Ricotta Gnudi These were more 'skinned' than some of the other gnudi I've had, but had an almost buratta-like creaminess. Very nice.

Absinthe Fritters delicate loops of fried dough with just a hint of anise flavor, accompanied by (buttermilk?) ice cream and a rhubarb-cherry-wine compote. A good end.

The service was just right: water refilled, finished plates removed, dishes came out at a good pace (we warned them about a tight schedule for the theater and they steered us away from a couple longer-cooking dishes). The only complaint is that it is loud, loud, loud in there.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #152 - November 9th, 2019, 10:10 am
    Post #152 - November 9th, 2019, 10:10 am Post #152 - November 9th, 2019, 10:10 am
    JoelF wrote:We went last night pre-theater. 6PM on a Thursday we walked in and got a table immediately (allegedly the last open 2-top).

Are the crazy-long waits a thing of the past now? Although I've loved the food, I've avoided it for a while after getting burned trying to eat there even at off hours.
  • Post #153 - November 9th, 2019, 10:38 pm
    Post #153 - November 9th, 2019, 10:38 pm Post #153 - November 9th, 2019, 10:38 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    JoelF wrote:We went last night pre-theater. 6PM on a Thursday we walked in and got a table immediately (allegedly the last open 2-top).

Are the crazy-long waits a thing of the past now? Although I've loved the food, I've avoided it for a while after getting burned trying to eat there even at off hours.

I can't make any guarantees from one data point. The place was full when we left at 7 but only a couple parties waiting.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #154 - February 4th, 2023, 3:06 pm
    Post #154 - February 4th, 2023, 3:06 pm Post #154 - February 4th, 2023, 3:06 pm
    Hadn't been back to The Purple Pig in years, despite naming it as one of my favorites in the city. First time in the new space, and the food's still great.

OAXACAN OLD FASHIONED
    Vamonos Riendo Mezcal, Demarara, Orange + Angostura Bitters

Burrata
    Prosciutto Di Parma, Baby Kale, Apple Mostarda, Saba Balsamic + Chickpea Cracker

Pork Liver & Bacon Paté

Crispy Pig’s Ear
    Always one of our favorite courses

Mushroom 3 Ways
    Grilled King Trumpets, Pork & Shiitake Jus, Pickled Onion + Truffle and Mushroom Puree

Chicken Thigh Kebabs
    Fried Smashed Potatoes + Tzatziki
    The highlight of this meal, I think. Lovely crack of the skin, crispy potatoes.

SICILIAN IRIS
    Brioche, Ricotta + Chocolate Chip
    This used to be a go-to, but I can't handle the heaviness these days. Liquid concrete.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more