LTH Home

chocolate near downtown/river front?

chocolate near downtown/river front?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • chocolate near downtown/river front?

Post #1 - November 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm
    Post #1 - November 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm Post #1 - November 9th, 2009, 11:19 pm
    I was near downtown area (I think around Illinois/Franklin area....close to East bank club) where I smelled delicious aroma of chocolate. I've smelled the same thing a few times walking around river front too. Does anyone know where that's coming from? if not, any really great chocolate places in that area? Especially hot chocolate?

Thanks!
  • Post #2 - November 9th, 2009, 11:23 pm
    Post #2 - November 9th, 2009, 11:23 pm Post #2 - November 9th, 2009, 11:23 pm
    zorgclyde wrote:I was near downtown area (I think around Illinois/Franklin area....close to East bank club) where I smelled delicious aroma of chocolate. I've smelled the same thing a few times walking around river front too. Does anyone know where that's coming from?

Blommer Chocolate Company
    600 West Kinzie St
    Chicago IL 60610
    1-800-621-1606
    http://www.blommer.com/
  • Post #3 - November 9th, 2009, 11:38 pm
    Post #3 - November 9th, 2009, 11:38 pm Post #3 - November 9th, 2009, 11:38 pm
    Blommer actually has a walk-in chocolate shop that I've come to love, as I spend a great deal of time in the area. Unfortunately the website doesn't list the hours, as far as I can tell. They're generally open until five on weekdays, and have abbreviated hours on Saturdays. The shop is closed on Sundays, IIRC. The chocolate-covered pretzels, both dark and milk, are pretty fantastic; chocolate-covered pistachios are unique, in my experience. Prices are good. Vosges, no; maybe not even Cadbury; but infinitely more reasonable, price-wise. And they definitely make River North life better when the wind is right...
  • Post #4 - November 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm
    Post #4 - November 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm Post #4 - November 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm
    For a great cup of hot chocolate head to Xoco, the generally over-priced (for what you get) new food outlet of Rick Bayless. The hot chocolate there is one of the great things (and good values) on the restaurant's menu, and probably the best cup of hot chocolate in the city (there are several variations available). The S.E. corner of Illinois and Clark St. is where you'll find the restaurant. Go before 8 a.m., or be prepared to fend-off hordes of Rick's groupies (in which case you might want to arrive with a spray can of "Off", or a fly swatter).
  • Post #5 - November 9th, 2009, 11:54 pm
    Post #5 - November 9th, 2009, 11:54 pm Post #5 - November 9th, 2009, 11:54 pm
  • Post #6 - November 11th, 2009, 10:38 am
    Post #6 - November 11th, 2009, 10:38 am Post #6 - November 11th, 2009, 10:38 am
    Thanks! I didn't even realize Xoco has hot chocolate as it's not listed on the online menu.
    I remember walking near the river front in February smelling chocolate on a 20deg day and looking for its source to no avail, only to give in to the Corner bakery...which was a vast disappointment.
    There really ought to be more real hot chocolate places on that stretch.
    It would make winter so much more pleasant.
  • Post #7 - November 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm
    Post #7 - November 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm Post #7 - November 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm
    Bill wrote:For a great cup of hot chocolate head to Xoco, the generally over-priced (for what you get) new food outlet of Rick Bayless. The hot chocolate there is one of the great things (and good values) on the restaurant's menu, and probably the best cup of hot chocolate in the city (there are several variations available). The S.E. corner of Illinois and Clark St. is where you'll find the restaurant. Go before 8 a.m., or be prepared to fend-off hordes of Rick's groupies (in which case you might want to arrive with a spray can of "Off", or a fly swatter).

The chocolate is indeed excellent and a good value ($2.50 for a decent sized cup).

I didn't find the food I ordered to be over-priced (because of what you get—very high-quality and tasty chow) but it's not inexpensive. At least at 3:30pm last Tuesday it wasn't swarming with groupies. In fact we were the only ones in line*.

zorgclyde wrote:I didn't even realize Xoco has hot chocolate as it's not listed on the online menu.

I don't see it online either. Here's a scan of the Chocolate and Pastry sections of Xoco's menu.

*Over in the Xoco thread, reasonable waits in the afternoon and midmorning have been reported by others as well. Obviously there's no guarantee (except probably for long lines at peak hours) but the "Go before 8 a.m." comment is misleading.

Edited to add link.
    Last edited by Rene G on November 15th, 2009, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #8 - November 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm
    Post #8 - November 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm Post #8 - November 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm
    Rene G wrote: "Go before 8 a.m." comment is misleading.
    I've gone 3 times between 7:30 and 8am, and never had more than a coupleof people in line in front of me.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #9 - November 15th, 2009, 10:20 pm
    Post #9 - November 15th, 2009, 10:20 pm Post #9 - November 15th, 2009, 10:20 pm
    Kennyz wrote:I've gone 3 times between 7:30 and 8am

Groupie!
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #10 - January 15th, 2020, 10:42 am
    Post #10 - January 15th, 2020, 10:42 am Post #10 - January 15th, 2020, 10:42 am
    mtgl wrote:Blommer actually has a walk-in chocolate shop that I've come to love, as I spend a great deal of time in the area. Unfortunately the website doesn't list the hours, as far as I can tell. They're generally open until five on weekdays, and have abbreviated hours on Saturdays. The shop is closed on Sundays, IIRC. The chocolate-covered pretzels, both dark and milk, are pretty fantastic; chocolate-covered pistachios are unique, in my experience. Prices are good. Vosges, no; maybe not even Cadbury; but infinitely more reasonable, price-wise. And they definitely make River North life better when the wind is right...

Blommer Chocolate Co. shutting down store to expand factory

https://chicago.suntimes.com/business/2 ... re-closing
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #11 - January 15th, 2020, 2:57 pm
    Post #11 - January 15th, 2020, 2:57 pm Post #11 - January 15th, 2020, 2:57 pm
    Bummer-major bummer! For years, we had purchased bagged cocoa beans for our garden mulch . As we loaded up our trunk we also loaded up the car with chocolate covered cashews, raisins, and the BEST(!!!) chocolate covered malted milk balls. The malted milk balls are pretty big in size to begin with and the thick layer of chocolate (choice of milk or dark) is velvety. We have never found any better and fresher. They stopped selling the shells a few years back so our trips to the store were far and few between. We have not been back since the business was sold. I anticipate a post coming soon where to find decent malted milk balls.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more