LTH Home

The Shirt Killer -

The Shirt Killer -
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 8th, 2009, 9:47 am
    Post #31 - July 8th, 2009, 9:47 am Post #31 - July 8th, 2009, 9:47 am
    Not a confusing thread at all! My shirt killer is not terribly delectable but always involves salad dressing. No matter where the salad is from, I can almost guarantee that I will fling the dressing somewhere on my shirt.
    -Mary
  • Post #32 - July 8th, 2009, 9:48 am
    Post #32 - July 8th, 2009, 9:48 am Post #32 - July 8th, 2009, 9:48 am
    My shirt killer is anything I'm eating while wearing a white shirt before a client meeting.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #33 - July 8th, 2009, 9:51 am
    Post #33 - July 8th, 2009, 9:51 am Post #33 - July 8th, 2009, 9:51 am
    my shirt killer is melted butter. Not only a shirt killer, but a pants killer as well.

A couple other places I should really wear a bib at are:

- Cajun Connection(especially crawfish)
    - Tank Noodle( especially the pho)
    - Sun Wah
    Last edited by jimswside on July 8th, 2009, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #34 - July 8th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Post #34 - July 8th, 2009, 9:53 am Post #34 - July 8th, 2009, 9:53 am
    There are certain foods that it would be impossible not to get on you. I take it for granted I will be splattered at Katy's like somebody shot Solozzo at my table.

Maybe this explains Mr. Red Shirt... he has identical shirts because he has to change them 12 times a day.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #35 - July 8th, 2009, 10:03 am
    Post #35 - July 8th, 2009, 10:03 am Post #35 - July 8th, 2009, 10:03 am
    Good point Mike. Although while at Katy's, my shirt resembles McCluskey's a little more than Sollozzo's. The shirt could be sold as abstract art between the browns of the noodle soup, the oranges of the Dan Dan noodles, and the black of the soy.

After a few trips, I have included a shirt in the car and a pack of wet ones.
  • Post #36 - July 8th, 2009, 10:29 am
    Post #36 - July 8th, 2009, 10:29 am Post #36 - July 8th, 2009, 10:29 am
    jesteinf wrote:My shirt killer is anything I'm eating while wearing a white shirt before a client meeting.

LOL! I can completely relate to this comment.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #37 - July 8th, 2009, 10:48 am
    Post #37 - July 8th, 2009, 10:48 am Post #37 - July 8th, 2009, 10:48 am
    The GP wrote:Not a confusing thread at all! My shirt killer is not terribly delectable but always involves salad dressing. No matter where the salad is from, I can almost guarantee that I will fling the dressing somewhere on my shirt.

How true -all I have to do is to put on a sports knit shirt and soup and grease from hamburgers magically finds its way to my shirt. Also nothing that I do gets out the grease stains - I literally have 6-7 knit shirts that are "yard work" shirts because of a damn grease stain makes me look like a slob.
  • Post #38 - July 8th, 2009, 11:23 am
    Post #38 - July 8th, 2009, 11:23 am Post #38 - July 8th, 2009, 11:23 am
    Muttster wrote:Also nothing that I do gets out the grease stains - I literally have 6-7 knit shirts that are "yard work" shirts because of a damn grease stain makes me look like a slob.

Somehow, whenever I wear a dark knit shirt, I immediately get mysterious grease stains on it, even if I haven't been within 10 feet of food between putting it on & noticing the stain...and as it sounds like you know, grease stains on dark knit shirts stick out like sore thumbs, because they look even darker than the surrounding shirt.

I've had good luck with this Carbona Stain Devil stuff in the past, with a dark green sweatshirt. I already have #5 (fat, grease, cooking oil), and want to try it on the brand-new dark green knit polo-style shirt that I somehow managed to ruin last week, but first I plan to do the whole "test on a hidden spot before using" step, because this particular shirt is one of the few I own that is an actual name brand & was purchased from a store that isn't Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx or Marshall's :P

I picked it up many, many years ago from the Dominick's in Mt. Prospect, but their site says it's sold at a bunch of other places too.
  • Post #39 - July 8th, 2009, 11:40 am
    Post #39 - July 8th, 2009, 11:40 am Post #39 - July 8th, 2009, 11:40 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    jesteinf wrote:My shirt killer is anything I'm eating while wearing a white shirt before a client meeting.

The certainty of this happening leads to the well-known "leaning halfway over table, with top half of body inclined 30 degrees from table surface, head positioned two inches above plate" eating posture.
  • Post #40 - July 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
    Post #40 - July 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm Post #40 - July 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm
    Almost any Italian Breaded Steak Sandwich.

Sauce running down your arms, all over your face. There is bound to be some on your shirt before your done.

Which brings to mind... People that stop after each bite to clean their hands and face. The repeated picking up and placing down of the sandwich almost always destroys the support of the wrapper. Whether a burrito or any messy sandwich. ... or even ribs.

I always prefer to plow through until done.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #41 - July 8th, 2009, 1:47 pm
    Post #41 - July 8th, 2009, 1:47 pm Post #41 - July 8th, 2009, 1:47 pm
    I Do It Daily wrote:
    In any event, I think you've entirely missed the point of this thread

Guys, maybe we should scrap this thread due to all the confusion surronding it. Whaddusay?

Who's confused?

Noodles seem to be the nemesis to my shirts. No matter how hard I try there's always some errant noodle that manages to give enough of a movement to shake some sauce towards me. Typically it's not a *large* stain (which I might have the benefit of noticing and addressing before it's fully set) but some annoying pin-drop that isn't found until it's too late. I have quite a collection of white polo's with just a pixel or two worth of some red or orange sauce that is there to remind me of my long-gone meal.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #42 - July 8th, 2009, 4:26 pm
    Post #42 - July 8th, 2009, 4:26 pm Post #42 - July 8th, 2009, 4:26 pm
    jimswside wrote:A couple other places I should really wear a bib at are:
    - Tank Noodle( especially the pho)

Just yesterday I had a late lunch at Tank of Bun Bo Hue* and came darn close to having the end of a noodle fling spicy chili oil off of the surface of the soup and on to my shirt. Luckily for me, my eye managed get in the way to stop the splatter before it could stain my shirt. Needless to say, it hurt a lot.

-Dan

* To compare with the bowl I recently had at Cafe Hoang - Tank really fell short in the comparison.
  • Post #43 - July 8th, 2009, 6:28 pm
    Post #43 - July 8th, 2009, 6:28 pm Post #43 - July 8th, 2009, 6:28 pm
    Kman wrote:Noodles seem to be the nemesis to my shirts. No matter how hard I try there's always some errant noodle that manages to give enough of a movement to shake some sauce towards me.

Yup, noodles sure do deliver the stain payload. One trick I never picked up in a year of living in Japan was the ability to slurp noodles with abandon without my clothes being the worse for wear. Maybe it has something to do with my totally silent slurping (which always perplexed and amused my dining companions).
  • Post #44 - July 9th, 2009, 10:37 am
    Post #44 - July 9th, 2009, 10:37 am Post #44 - July 9th, 2009, 10:37 am
    Pitting cherries...definitely a stain buzz.
  • Post #45 - July 9th, 2009, 10:40 am
    Post #45 - July 9th, 2009, 10:40 am Post #45 - July 9th, 2009, 10:40 am
    I am so relieved to see that I am not alone in my sometimes inability to keep food off my clothes.

TC
  • Post #46 - July 22nd, 2009, 3:00 pm
    Post #46 - July 22nd, 2009, 3:00 pm Post #46 - July 22nd, 2009, 3:00 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Me too! It reminds me of one July 4th at Summerfest when I decided wearing all white would be a good idea. Then some drunken idiot knocked into me and my rootbeer went everywhere.

I also agree with the mango someone mentioned. I may as well eat them naked in the tub. (Hmmm...) I've stopped bringing them to work because they're so messy, and because last time I tried to eat them naked in the cafeteria sink I was fired.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more