LTH Home

Myron & Phils, everything changes

Myron & Phils, everything changes
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - December 11th, 2013, 10:30 am
    Post #61 - December 11th, 2013, 10:30 am Post #61 - December 11th, 2013, 10:30 am
    I believe we north suburban baby-boomers yearn for re-creations of great restaurants from our youth, places like Myron & Phil's and Fritz That's It. Both played a huge part of my high school and college years. But it's an interesting sidebar that Mark Freedman has opined that the 'new' M&P will be more tavern-style, which is A-OK with me as long as he keeps the signature dishes. And our demographic has morphed to prefer casual better than special occasion. But keep the chopped liver, gratis. :)

So...where will the new & improved M&P reside? Is rent in downtown Highland Park still super high? Or will it be a stand-alone somewhere closer in, say, Glenview or Evanston? Gonna be interesting.
  • Post #62 - December 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm
    Post #62 - December 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm Post #62 - December 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm
    There is the old Rosebud location in downtown HP ready to go. He'd have outdoor seating and a pretty good location. Not to mention in the heart of M&P's old customers and families.

My parents said a big reason they and most of their friends didn't go to M&P anymore was dealing with the traffic on the Edens during rush hour. It's easier to just go to somewhere close by. Hope to see a new location further north. My family and I will definitely be checking it out, even though it's sad the old place and vibe is probably gone forever. :(
  • Post #63 - December 12th, 2013, 8:47 am
    Post #63 - December 12th, 2013, 8:47 am Post #63 - December 12th, 2013, 8:47 am
    Article says he would like to stay in the same area

http://lincolnwood.suntimes.com/news/my ... 13:article
  • Post #64 - December 12th, 2013, 11:18 am
    Post #64 - December 12th, 2013, 11:18 am Post #64 - December 12th, 2013, 11:18 am
    2146 north wrote:Article says he would like to stay in the same area

http://lincolnwood.suntimes.com/news/my ... 13:article

I think he's trying to simply say the right thing. He would "prefer to stay in the community which has been good to him, but he's still exploring other municipalities." I would think he wants to go where his customer base is. That would be further north. Just because a town is good to you, doesn't mean you should lose customers to be a nice guy, but who knows.
  • Post #65 - December 12th, 2013, 12:02 pm
    Post #65 - December 12th, 2013, 12:02 pm Post #65 - December 12th, 2013, 12:02 pm
    This week Freedman auctioned off the remaining tables and chairs that were left in sitting in the shuttered restaurant in a liquidation sale, and boxed up the memorabilia his father Myron and uncle Phil Freedman collected and displayed on the walls over the years.

I will guess someone's favorite painting may not be gone forever, but waiting for a new home to hang it.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #66 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:40 pm
    Post #66 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:40 pm Post #66 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:40 pm
    The concept of this place is genius. It doesn't exist. If it reopens and it is well executed you're talking a truly awesome gold mine hearkening back to the days of overeating and the three martini lunch. Gluttony in the best possible way. I remember driving past it when I was a kid all the time and it was packed on Fridays and Saturdays. Impossible to get a table and the lot was bustling with cars.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #67 - January 3rd, 2014, 9:55 am
    Post #67 - January 3rd, 2014, 9:55 am Post #67 - January 3rd, 2014, 9:55 am
    Royal Lichter--when you say 'well-executed' do you mean the original M&P concept--the convivial Jewish business dinner/supper club of the 1970's, or do you mean a modernized, more casual version, but still with the M&P staples like Shrimp de Jonghe, Roumanian Skirt Steak, Broiled Whitefish, and of course the green goddess dressing?

I do agree, done right and in the right location, it would definitely draw, even with more competition than ever.
  • Post #68 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:26 am
    Post #68 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:26 am Post #68 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:26 am
    jnm123 wrote:Royal Lichter--when you say 'well-executed' do you mean the original M&P concept--the convivial Jewish business dinner/supper club of the 1970's, or do you mean a modernized, more casual version, but still with the M&P staples like Shrimp de Jonghe, Roumanian Skirt Steak, Broiled Whitefish, and of course the green goddess dressing?

I do agree, done right and in the right location, it would definitely draw, even with more competition than ever.

I'm thinking something that is more of the original M&P concept in terms of atmosphere and menu, but perhaps slightly more casual (just slightly) so as to attract younger folks like myself. To relate it to other steak places - less Mastro's in feel and more Capital Grille, but more localized and authentic than that. The quirky but delicious touches like the chopped liver offer a unique experience.

I'll be sure to check it out when they land in their new spot.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #69 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am
    Post #69 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am Post #69 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am
    Royal Lichter wrote:
    jnm123 wrote:Royal Lichter--when you say 'well-executed' do you mean the original M&P concept--the convivial Jewish business dinner/supper club of the 1970's, or do you mean a modernized, more casual version, but still with the M&P staples like Shrimp de Jonghe, Roumanian Skirt Steak, Broiled Whitefish, and of course the green goddess dressing?

I'm thinking something that is more of the original M&P concept in terms of atmosphere and menu, but perhaps slightly more casual (just slightly) so as to attract younger folks like myself. To relate it to other steak places - less Mastro's in feel and more Capital Grille, but more localized and authentic than that. The quirky but delicious touches like the chopped liver offer a unique experience.

As someone posted upthread, downtown Highland Park, in the old Rosebud/Moderno/Royce space seems like it would be a great fit. This seems especially true in light of some current dietary trends that seem pretty common in the northern suburbs these days. M&P's menu seems to bridge the gap nicely between Paleo/Atkins/Low-Carb and 'old skool' dining. However, the asking price for the space there is so ridiculously high, I think it'd be a tough go, even for a seasoned operator.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #70 - January 3rd, 2014, 11:28 am
    Post #70 - January 3rd, 2014, 11:28 am Post #70 - January 3rd, 2014, 11:28 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Royal Lichter wrote:

As someone posted upthread, downtown Highland Park, in the old Rosebud/Moderno/Royce space seems like it would be a great fit. This seems especially true in light of some current dietary trends that seem pretty common in the northern suburbs these days. M&P's menu seems to bridge the gap nicely between Paleo/Atkins/Low-Carb and 'old skool' dining. However, the asking price for the space there is so ridiculously high, I think it'd be a tough go, even for a seasoned operator.

=R=

That's an excellent space. I saw that space. They're never going to get it rented. Not sure what they're asking but my bet is that it is high. They are holding on to 2006 rental rates. From what I've gathered, that owner or management company has a high degree of incompetence and arrogance.

I used to love Rosebud in Highland Park. It was my go-to dinner and lunch spot in the northern suburbs. I went there many times and always enjoyed the space both inside and out.
  • Post #71 - January 3rd, 2014, 1:51 pm
    Post #71 - January 3rd, 2014, 1:51 pm Post #71 - January 3rd, 2014, 1:51 pm
    Royal Lichter wrote:

They had years to get it right but it slid downhill at an ever-accelerating pace. While I'm an eternal optimist (as hard as it may be to believe), I'm not sure why they would suddenly recapture the past when it eluded them for so long.
  • Post #72 - January 3rd, 2014, 2:11 pm
    Post #72 - January 3rd, 2014, 2:11 pm Post #72 - January 3rd, 2014, 2:11 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:They had years to get it right but it slid downhill at an ever-accelerating pace. While I'm an eternal optimist (as hard as it may be to believe), I'm not sure why they would suddenly recapture the past when it eluded them for so long.

I think if they just try to re-create the past, it probably will not go well. But the concept is clearly current again (isn't Bavette's basically the M&P of the 21st century?) so, with a more forward-leaning focus and tighter control on quality, I think it could be a big hit. Of course, it's not my money on the line so that's very easy for me to say. :wink:

Also, and this is simply a hunch, but I'm guessing the old location probably became far less viable in more recent years, as the demographics of the area changed quite a bit.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #73 - January 3rd, 2014, 8:59 pm
    Post #73 - January 3rd, 2014, 8:59 pm Post #73 - January 3rd, 2014, 8:59 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:They had years to get it right but it slid downhill at an ever-accelerating pace. While I'm an eternal optimist (as hard as it may be to believe), I'm not sure why they would suddenly recapture the past when it eluded them for so long.

I think if they just try to re-create the past, it probably will not go well. But the concept is clearly current again (isn't Bavette's basically the M&P of the 21st century?) so, with a more forward-leaning focus and tighter control on quality, I think it could be a big hit. Of course, it's not my money on the line so that's very easy for me to say. :wink:

Also, and this is simply a hunch, but I'm guessing the old location probably became far less viable in more recent years, as the demographics of the area changed quite a bit.

=R=

If the food was good (and a good value) the customers would be there. It wasn't the location. We lived nearby (walking distance) and stopped going because the quality fell off. We'd drive to L.Woods, Charcoal Oven or EJ's before going back to Myron & Phil's.
  • Post #74 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:07 pm
    Post #74 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:07 pm Post #74 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:07 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

If the food was good (and a good value) the customers would be there. It wasn't the location. We lived nearby (walking distance) and stopped going because the quality fell off. We'd drive to L.Woods, Charcoal Oven or EJ's before going back to Myron & Phil's.

I agree that the quality wasn't great, except for the relish tray with the chopped liver. The steaks were "meh" compared to the downtown places. When we went, it seemed as if we were the youngest people there and the only ones who weren't regulars.
  • Post #75 - January 4th, 2014, 8:40 am
    Post #75 - January 4th, 2014, 8:40 am Post #75 - January 4th, 2014, 8:40 am
    I believe what Mark has to recapture--if he chooses to--is the idea of the go-to business dinner spot, which the brothers did SO well back in the '70's-'80's. My dad was in the produce biz & knew M&P and their parents back to the Freedman's Cafeteria days 30 years before that next to the old South Water Market at 13th and Racine. When M&P opened in 1972, they immediately had a proven clientele of produce men & their out-of-town guests, not to mention lawyers, politicians & the like. It just grew and grew, with the quality of the food matching the buzz. And to their credit, both Myron & Philly worked the room like masters. That's an art form that's been lost at a lot of restaurants over the years.

I think Mark could keep it quasi-casual, recreate the old dishes, and make it a place to be once again. And...they could still keep prices under other expense account competition like Capital Grille.
  • Post #76 - January 4th, 2014, 9:32 am
    Post #76 - January 4th, 2014, 9:32 am Post #76 - January 4th, 2014, 9:32 am
    While I agree that the food took a turn for the worse at some point, lately it had returned to the quality of the glory days. Mark also added a bunch of BBQ items that were not as successful. I'd love to see him reopen, but I hope he focuses on the traditional M&P experience and menu with a bit of freshening up. Ditch the BBQ.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #77 - January 5th, 2014, 10:48 am
    Post #77 - January 5th, 2014, 10:48 am Post #77 - January 5th, 2014, 10:48 am
    No BBQ at Myron and Phil. Send out the chicken liver and do classics like lobster thermidor, oysters rockefeller, shrimp de johnge, etc.
  • Post #78 - July 1st, 2014, 2:10 pm
    Post #78 - July 1st, 2014, 2:10 pm Post #78 - July 1st, 2014, 2:10 pm
    From the business section of the Skokie Review:

http://skokie.suntimes.com/2014/07/01/new-restaurant-myron-phil-family-coming-niles/

Mixed emotions. I was never a big fan of M&P's BBQ, although I know folks that swore by the quality of their baby backs. Also, it appears that the clubby business atmosphere of the original M&P's will morph into a tavern-ish establishment, of which there are far too many already. On the other hand, if Mark brings at least a handful of his signature items with him, it could work and I would dine there.

I guess Highland Park's rent was too pricey, and maybe that district is far too saturated with ordinary steakhouses anyway, but that seemed to be the natural migration, not just for its Jewish clientele either. But Niles?! My guess is that Mark is banking on the entertainment district being built up around him, and that Mayor Pryzyblo shot him a pretty sweet deal. Just hope we don't see pierogis on the menu! :)
  • Post #79 - July 1st, 2014, 2:56 pm
    Post #79 - July 1st, 2014, 2:56 pm Post #79 - July 1st, 2014, 2:56 pm
    jnm123 wrote:From the business section of the Skokie Review:

http://skokie.suntimes.com/2014/07/01/new-restaurant-myron-phil-family-coming-niles/

Mixed emotions. I was never a big fan of M&P's BBQ, although I know folks that swore by the quality of their baby backs. Also, it appears that the clubby business atmosphere of the original M&P's will morph into a tavern-ish establishment, of which there are far too many already. On the other hand, if Mark brings at least a handful of his signature items with him, it could work and I would dine there.

I guess Highland Park's rent was too pricey, and maybe that district is far too saturated with ordinary steakhouses anyway, but that seemed to be the natural migration, not just for its Jewish clientele either. But Niles?! My guess is that Mark is banking on the entertainment district being built up around him, and that Mayor Pryzyblo shot him a pretty sweet deal. Just hope we don't see pierogis on the menu! :)

Hope he knows something I don't because "cursed" is too optimistic a word for that location.
  • Post #80 - July 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm
    Post #80 - July 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm Post #80 - July 1st, 2014, 3:52 pm
    Heard this rumor some time ago. I wish Mark good luck. That location has not been a lucky one for too many people. I happened to be in Christopher's on its opening night and I really had to look around and make sure there were no cameras. Some of the crap going on was straight out of one of those bad restaurant shows that take up too much of the airwaves.

I will be happy to get the Green Goddess dressing again, and the liver spread........
  • Post #81 - July 2nd, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Post #81 - July 2nd, 2014, 1:10 pm Post #81 - July 2nd, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Hope things work out for Mark with this, but he's clearly going in a new direction and I don't blame him.
  • Post #82 - July 2nd, 2014, 1:39 pm
    Post #82 - July 2nd, 2014, 1:39 pm Post #82 - July 2nd, 2014, 1:39 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Hope things work out for Mark with this, but he's clearly going in a new direction and I don't blame him.

He has expressed to me on several occasions that he sees/saw his main competition as L. Woods (hence his foray into BBQ). With this location, I think he's realizing his dream to be just like them. I wish him luck, but I'll be disappointed if the old M & P classics dissappear from the menu.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #83 - July 2nd, 2014, 7:04 pm
    Post #83 - July 2nd, 2014, 7:04 pm Post #83 - July 2nd, 2014, 7:04 pm
    Exactly right, Steve. As much as I like some of the items on the L. Woods menu (the walleye pike is really fine), my goodness, even in a tavern environment the relish tray consisting of thick dill pickle slices and marinated red peppers, the chopped liver, the Roumanian skirt steak, the Shrimp DeJonghe, the pepper steak, the broiled whitefish would absolutely kick butt, as I've stated upthread. It would separate them from the North Woods-y motif. But it ain't my money, it's Mark's and his financiers.

Oh yeah, while you're at it, don't forget the cole slaw and Green Goddess dressing... :)
  • Post #84 - July 3rd, 2014, 12:34 pm
    Post #84 - July 3rd, 2014, 12:34 pm Post #84 - July 3rd, 2014, 12:34 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Hope things work out for Mark with this, but he's clearly going in a new direction and I don't blame him.

He has expressed to me on several occasions that he sees/saw his main competition as L. Woods (hence his foray into BBQ). With this location, I think he's realizing his dream to be just like them. I wish him luck, but I'll be disappointed if the old M & P classics dissappear from the menu.

Unless this place is really special, I don't see many of the families that grew up with M&P (and now live up north) driving to Niles for this, it's too far. My parents specifically said they stopped going to M&P because they didn't want to deal with the Edens traffic, not because the food or service declined. So in that regard, he can start fresh with a new place, and if he does, he may do things differently. But I agree, he should try to keep many of the staples that made the old place unique and great.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more