LTH Home

UrbanBelly - get your dumpling on!

UrbanBelly - get your dumpling on!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - August 29th, 2008, 3:43 pm
    Post #61 - August 29th, 2008, 3:43 pm Post #61 - August 29th, 2008, 3:43 pm
    lola wrote: When we approached my car we were greeted by a 200 pound dog sitting on the porch. I am no dog aficionado, but it was the kind of rescue dog you see in cartoons in the alps or some snowy mountain top with a small barrel of spirits tied to it collar. It was a beautiful animal and it barked loudly at us.

St. Bernard, maybe?
    Last edited by RAB on February 13th, 2009, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #62 - August 30th, 2008, 11:01 am
    Post #62 - August 30th, 2008, 11:01 am Post #62 - August 30th, 2008, 11:01 am
    JeffB wrote:Would someone who has been to the ramen shop at Mitsuwa, the place at Marshall Field's, Tampopo, or ramen shops in LA or Japan for that matter (i.e., someone with some barometer for ramen) weigh in on the the relative merits of the ramen at Belly?

I'd like to know the answer to this too, please.
  • Post #63 - August 30th, 2008, 3:30 pm
    Post #63 - August 30th, 2008, 3:30 pm Post #63 - August 30th, 2008, 3:30 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    JeffB wrote:Would someone who has been to the ramen shop at Mitsuwa, the place at Marshall Field's, Tampopo, or ramen shops in LA or Japan for that matter (i.e., someone with some barometer for ramen) weigh in on the the relative merits of the ramen at Belly?

I'd like to know the answer to this too, please.

Same here. OT, but Sumire Ramen is making a guest appearance at Mitsuwa in a couple weeks.
  • Post #64 - August 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
    Post #64 - August 31st, 2008, 10:57 am Post #64 - August 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
    I stopped in for lunch the other day (Wednesday, I believe) and had a very enjoyable meal. IT was tough to decide what ti try first, but ended up ordering the Udon w/ shrimp. The texture of the noodles were nice and firm, the broth had more complexity to it than many asian restaurants. They were fairly generous with the shrimp, and also the fishcakes. Yvonne was super friendly and helpful... had a chat about their traffic patterns so far. It's within the realm for work lunch if there's not much of a wait but too far if it takes a while once there. At 1:30pm it was very quiet.

My only issue is that the prices are a bit high for a counter service restaurant (not serving ribs). Lunch & a diet coke ran almost $16. And I'd prefer to order some sort of appetizer along w/ a soup bowl.
  • Post #65 - August 31st, 2008, 11:20 am
    Post #65 - August 31st, 2008, 11:20 am Post #65 - August 31st, 2008, 11:20 am
    I went to Urbanbelly with a couple friends last night, and we all agreed that we were underwhelmed. Two of us had the ramen, one had the udon, and we shared the lamb and the duck dumplings. The duck dumplings were very good - not amazing but very good. The ramen noodles in both of our soups were still somewhat in that "block" noodle formation as if from a package. The broth was fine and there was a nice fragrance of what seemed like ginger, but nothing special at all - especially at $13. The pork belly in the ramen was good but I've had better, richer pork belly elsewhere. My friend who had the udon said it was a little on the mild/bland side.

I've been to the ramen stall at Mitsuwa, and I think their ramen is much better. It's not as good as what I've had in Tokyo but still the best I've had in the States.

I don't feel the need to go back to Urbanbelly. If I lived down the street, I might frequent it on occasion - but given the prices, it would not be one of my regular haunts.
  • Post #66 - September 2nd, 2008, 9:18 am
    Post #66 - September 2nd, 2008, 9:18 am Post #66 - September 2nd, 2008, 9:18 am

Was underwhelmed by the ramen at UB. The broth is very different from any of the traditional ramen broths and did not have, to my taste, any of the richness or complexity I'm looking for. Everything else was very good, but good ramen is hard to do. To be fair, they are obviously not aiming for traditional ramen, but even setting aside the broth issues, the noodles came in a bit of a clump and were too soft for me. Pork belly was good, although very fatty (even by ramen standards) and I wonder if they will be able to sustain customer support for such richness.

I find the ramen at Santouka/Mitsuwa good but not exceptional certainly by Tokyo etc. standards. I actually quite like the ramen at Tampopo, but it helps not to compare other ramen of meals past.

Don't mean to sound too negative, as I liked UB a lot and will definitely return.
  • Post #67 - September 3rd, 2008, 8:39 am
    Post #67 - September 3rd, 2008, 8:39 am Post #67 - September 3rd, 2008, 8:39 am
    We found the location to be great because of the parking and loved the food. The broth seems to be filled with all kinds of spices (Star Anise, Clove). We stuck with mostly pork dishes and ordered two of the pork belly ramen's. It was quite good, but I agree with everyone on the price. It just seemed like it was too pricey for the amount of food. If they were to bundle some of the options for a lunch special, I'd go back. Until then, I'll be saving my dough.

Give it a try at least once!
  • Post #68 - September 8th, 2008, 10:52 am
    Post #68 - September 8th, 2008, 10:52 am Post #68 - September 8th, 2008, 10:52 am
    I ate at Urban Belly on Sunday with some friends and had a really nice time. The food was good (at worst) and wonderfully amazing (at best). I have to agree with others that the pricing can be off.

We split the order of dumplings with acorn squash (which seemed more like raviolis and were only so-so, in our opinions) and pork and cilantro (very, very good, and be sure to make good use of the lime-flavored soy sauce for dipping). We also split a side of the green beans.

I went with the short rib rice bowl and my friends got the pork belly ramen and soba noodle bowl. Here is where the menu's set-up and pricing seemed out of whack. For me, after sharing the other dishes, the rice bowl was plenty for lunch. However, my friends felt overly-full with their noodle bowls. I would like to see smaller noodle bowls (or some way to share them more easily).

Otherwise, everything, like I said, was very good. The food was good enough that even with the (arguably) high prices for a bowl of noodles, it still felt like a good value. The staff was friendly and the complimentary ginger chews after our meal were very good, too. I would like to see them put out more desserts, but small steps, I imagine, are in order!
    best,
    dan
  • Post #69 - September 11th, 2008, 2:56 pm
    Post #69 - September 11th, 2008, 2:56 pm Post #69 - September 11th, 2008, 2:56 pm
    Heads Up:

Queijo and I had lunch at Urban Belly today and learned from Yvonne and Bill that Steve Dolinsky would be in today filming for "the Hungry Hound." I think it will air on Friday, so expect Urban Belly to be very crowded this weekend.

Lunch was, as always, wonderful. We shared the eggplant, chicken dumplings, Udon, and a somewhat refashioned Rice Cakes w/Chicken. The dish is a bit larger now, having more sauce, and Q and I both enjoyed it greatly. I know people like to knock chicken breasts, but this one was crisp and juicy, a really lovely rendition.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #70 - September 11th, 2008, 4:57 pm
    Post #70 - September 11th, 2008, 4:57 pm Post #70 - September 11th, 2008, 4:57 pm
    ^Oh, my! I ate dinner there last night and there was a 20 minute or so wait around 7 pm. I hate to think what it may be after a Hungry Hound segment.
  • Post #71 - September 12th, 2008, 7:15 am
    Post #71 - September 12th, 2008, 7:15 am Post #71 - September 12th, 2008, 7:15 am
    I really like UrbanBelly. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this was my first trip to a restaurant alone with my wife in three months, but I think it has more to do with the food.

They may be in competition with Sweets & Savories for "best restaurant with the worst name", but they've got a great concept, great ingredients, and a talented kitchen staff.

I won't give you a laundry list of everything I ate, since most everything has been covered. But I will identify the lamb dumplings as standouts as well as the shortribs and rice--especially the rice itself. The rice had tons of flavor in its separate grains and bits of "stuff". Every bite was different and packed with flavor.

On the cost issue that was raised, I'll agree that it's at the high end for what you're eating, but I can't say it's overpriced. Sure you can eat high quality Asian foods in this town for next to nothing, but for what Cookie and I ate last night for $20 per person was satisfying in every bite and filling to the point that I could barely eat my dessert at Caffe Gelato, the best gelato in town. UrbanBelly is worth it.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #72 - September 12th, 2008, 8:08 am
    Post #72 - September 12th, 2008, 8:08 am Post #72 - September 12th, 2008, 8:08 am
    They may be in competition with Sweets & Savories for "best restaurant with the worst name",

Now there's a thread we need!

(My choice would be Deleece-- something about all those E's reminds me of strip clubs that try to sound classy by calling themselves Thee Loveboxx.)
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #73 - September 12th, 2008, 4:19 pm
    Post #73 - September 12th, 2008, 4:19 pm Post #73 - September 12th, 2008, 4:19 pm
    Every time i think of Deleece, this image is conjured up in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTCW4oxS6I
  • Post #74 - September 13th, 2008, 10:34 pm
    Post #74 - September 13th, 2008, 10:34 pm Post #74 - September 13th, 2008, 10:34 pm
    I finally ate at Urban Belly last night and really enjoyed it. Surprisingly, the wait wasn't too long - about 10 minutes during peak time on a Friday night.

I ordered the udon, which was very different from the udon I've had at Mitsuwa (traditional there), but still very good. I was pleasantly surprised by the fish cakes and agree with a previous poster that they provide a good amount of shrimp in that dish. My friend ordered the rice cake with chicken and mango, which I thought was absolutely delicious and would be tempted to order it next time except that I'm determined to try something new.

However, my favorite dish was the Chinese eggplant with Thai basil that had been marinated and came with crisp garlic chips. I usually don't like eggplant, but I couldn't get enough of it. This side dish I'll definitely have again next time.
  • Post #75 - September 13th, 2008, 11:34 pm
    Post #75 - September 13th, 2008, 11:34 pm Post #75 - September 13th, 2008, 11:34 pm
    I just have to point out that I dutifully click on this thread in a pavlovian way every time a new post appears (planning my visit soon) and I chuckle each and every time to be greeted with the droopy, barrel-toting Alpine native who graces the top of page 2.

On the pavlovian front: I am sure that very shortly, when I think dumplings, my thoughts will turn to good ole Saint Bernard.
  • Post #76 - September 14th, 2008, 6:59 am
    Post #76 - September 14th, 2008, 6:59 am Post #76 - September 14th, 2008, 6:59 am
    Mike G wrote:
    They may be in competition with Sweets & Savories for "best restaurant with the worst name",

Now there's a thread we need!

(My choice would be Deleece-- something about all those E's reminds me of strip clubs that try to sound classy by calling themselves Thee Loveboxx.)

Ba ha ha....Thee Loveboxx....ha ha
  • Post #77 - November 16th, 2008, 3:59 pm
    Post #77 - November 16th, 2008, 3:59 pm Post #77 - November 16th, 2008, 3:59 pm
    On Friday, I was headed to Hot Doug's for some duck fat fries and noticed the (very typical) line out the door. It was cold outside and I remembered that Urban Belly was just a few blocks south, so I called an audible - and had a really wonderful lunch.

The menu was filled with so many delicious looking dishes that I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to eat. I settled on the pork/cilantro dumplings and short rib rice dish. Then I saw the wrinkle beans and ordered them too! No wait on this afternoon and service was amiable and warm. The dumplings came out first. A nice punch of cilantro cut the mild pork and really made the dish. I love cilantro and was surprised at how fresh and alive it tasted, despite being cooked inside the dumpling wrapper. Next was the rice bowl and the short rib was really delicious - sticky, sweet with perfect texture. I would have preferred more than a couple of slim slices, however. The rice was nice, and tasted very Thai to me - probably because of the citrus undercurrent. Wrinkle beans were flash fried green beans that were good, but would have benefited from some more black beans or spice. Ginger candy was a great way to end the meal - although I couldn't place the flavor at first.

In summary, I was very impressed with the food. I feel the prices were a bit much (and I spent twice what I would have spent at Hot Doug's) but I left very satisfied, with a plan to return soon. As the weather turns even colder, I can't wait to sample some of the noodle bowls.
    Last edited by veeral on December 14th, 2008, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #78 - November 18th, 2008, 10:02 am
    Post #78 - November 18th, 2008, 10:02 am Post #78 - November 18th, 2008, 10:02 am
    Went back solo for another lunch at Urban Belly awhile ago. Chose the lamb dumplings, the asian egg noodles and the wrinkle beans. The wrinkle beans are the beans that came with the pork dumplings that I raved about on my first visit. I didn't remember them being on the menu by itself.

The dumplings were OK. I liked the pairing of the lamb with brandy, but they were both overwhelmed by the garlic chili sauce. The accompanying edamame were nothing to speak of. I would have preferred sugar snap peas to counter the sauce, plus they would have been easier to eat.

Didn't know what to expect with the asian egg noodles - got quick fried ramen. Blah. The chinese eggplant and the tofu were fine, but this dish was completely underwhelming.

Loved the wrinkle beans on my first visit, didn't love them here. Should have been served spread out on a plate instead of clumped together in a small bowl, the reason being they overcooked in the bowl. I did enjoy the fried garlic slivers, though.

The main problem I had with this meal was that everything tasted the same, like hot and sour soup. Another problem was the pricing. This lunch cost me close to 30 bucks. I could get similar food at numerous places for a LOT less than Urban Belly.

Bottom line, I will not be back. The pricing is out of line, even though they may have cut the prices on the noodles since my visit (?). I can get better food for less money elsewhere, so there's no reason for me to eat here. If they can get away with charging those prices, good for them. If you enjoy the food and can afford to eat here, good for you. I have had and will have better.
  • Post #79 - December 13th, 2008, 10:26 pm
    Post #79 - December 13th, 2008, 10:26 pm Post #79 - December 13th, 2008, 10:26 pm
    We went to Urban Belly for the first time yesterday. At about 7pm on a Friday it was a little more than half full. We split the lamb and brandy dumplings and each had an order of Urbanbelly Ramen. The dumplings were good but not great. I thought they were a tiny bit tough and I can't say I tasted much brandy. The edamame under the dumplings were quite tasty. The ramen, though, was excellent. Broth was rich and complex. Noodles were just right. And the pork belly was amazing. Pork belly is very on-trend right now and it's a trend I am quite happy with. Overall, I'd say it's a medium step up from Takashi's Noodles at Macy's and easily comparable to Momofuku in NYC. (Momofuku has UB beat on sides, though.)

Like other posters I'll note my response to the price. On reflection, I don't feel ripped off. I seriously doubt that the owners are making out like bandits. Nevertheless, when I ordered two soups, dumplings, and one drink at a counter and was told the price was nearly $40, I was a little shocked. Like I said, though, I'm over it.
  • Post #80 - December 30th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Post #80 - December 30th, 2008, 1:19 pm Post #80 - December 30th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Other notes - BYOB, free wi-fi, brunch coming soon

Does anyone know if they have brunch? On their website it says they open at 11am on Sundays (which would be perfect for brunch in my opinion), but I didn't see a brunch menu.
  • Post #81 - December 30th, 2008, 1:41 pm
    Post #81 - December 30th, 2008, 1:41 pm Post #81 - December 30th, 2008, 1:41 pm
    figmolly wrote:
    Other notes - BYOB, free wi-fi, brunch coming soon

Does anyone know if they have brunch? On their website it says they open at 11am on Sundays (which would be perfect for brunch in my opinion), but I didn't see a brunch menu.
    Hi, Molly. Yes, when they first opened, I recall talk of a dumpling brunch. When we were there about two weeks ago (which wasn't nearly as good as our first visit, unfortunately), there weren't any indications of a different brunch menu. I'm guessing they just open at 11 am on Sundays.

I'd love to see a dumpling brunch, featuring a wider variety of options. It's going to take something like that, sadly, to get me to return.

Hope all is well!

Ronna
  • Post #82 - January 18th, 2009, 8:18 am
    Post #82 - January 18th, 2009, 8:18 am Post #82 - January 18th, 2009, 8:18 am
    The UrbanBelly noise on the forum has died down a bit, but - based on my first-ever visit last night - the deliciousness has not waned a bit.

The broth in which the udon were served was absolutely wonderful. A terrific balance of flavors, with a restrained but warming spice level and sweet, cinnamonny undertones. What I really liked best about it though was the mouth feel, which was smooth, with just the right level of gelatinousness. The full bodied texture of the broth was really pleasant, and allowed all of those delicious flavors to linger on the palate long after I swallowed.

Pea shoot and thai basil fried rice was a tasty and mild offset to the much spicier udon. I was impressed by the luxuriously soft and creamy scrambled egg in the rice, and by the fact that each grain maintained its separate integrity, and had not a hint of mushiness.

Wrinkle beans were tasty too, but not wrinkly or tasty enough for me. Maybe I just don't know what this dish is supposed to be, but I had in mind the delicious, almost dried out shechuan green beans available in many Chinatown restaurants. The UrbanBelly wrinkle beans seemed like more straight-forward tomatoey green beans. A little boring.

I really like UrbanBelly. Most of the dishes had all the flavor of the best hole-in-the-wall, authentic Asian restaurants. What makes UrbanBelly special to me is that you get the authentic flavor of a mom-and-pop noodle shop with difference-making touches (gelatinous broth texture, soft and creamy scrambled eggs, perfect-textured rice) from a talented, fine-dining-trained chef.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #83 - January 18th, 2009, 8:48 am
    Post #83 - January 18th, 2009, 8:48 am Post #83 - January 18th, 2009, 8:48 am
    We also had Urban Belly last night - but carry out, to avoid any wait. Wonderful food.
  • Post #84 - February 12th, 2009, 9:18 pm
    Post #84 - February 12th, 2009, 9:18 pm Post #84 - February 12th, 2009, 9:18 pm
    I must confess that when the bill came--$18.75 for an order of dumplings and two vegetable sides--I very much wanted to dislike UB. Alas, they are on their game: the lamb and brandy dumplings are meaty and savory, the booze providing a stutter-step backbeat; the sauces and bases for each vegetable nicely focused; and that eggplant dish w/basil--just really phenomenal stuff. I know the noodles will inevitably disappoint, but for the moment I'm basking in the pleasant aftertaste of food that is knowingly overpriced but still worth it.

And I dig how concise the menu is--I may yet be able to eat my way through it.
  • Post #85 - February 22nd, 2009, 7:51 pm
    Post #85 - February 22nd, 2009, 7:51 pm Post #85 - February 22nd, 2009, 7:51 pm
    I had my first taste of Urban Belly today at lunch. Ordered the ramen, and the short rib rice. Ran into Cookie Monster and happily took care of her eggplant dish. Then just because I had to, I ordered the recommended duck dumplings.

Overall impressions:
    Ramen had a kick. Noodles were soft in my opinion. I prefer a harder noodle. Short ribs were ok, and the rice was a tad greasy. Duck dumplings were actually deep fried duck wontons. The filling was a little over processed for my taste, and I could not really taste the duck. If I did not know, I would not have guess duck. Dumpling were greasy. Everything I tasted was a tad salty, which is fine sometimes. But when every dish is a little salty, it adds up! And I agree with the others on the price. A little on the high side!

Service was excellent! Knowledgeable staff and very attentive. I will probably not return especially since I can get better ramen in the city, and I have my future mother-in-law's homemade dumplings! Yvonne did mention that they are not aiming for traditional, but IMO sometimes traditional is not a bad thing!

Pics:

• Post #86 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:09 am
    Post #86 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:09 am Post #86 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:09 am
    I will probably not return especially since I can get better ramen in the city

I am far from a ramen expert, so I don't know what restaurants in the city you are talking about. Please share so I can expand my ramen horizons! Thanks.
  • Post #87 - February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 am
    Post #87 - February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 am Post #87 - February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 am
    fj123 wrote:
    I will probably not return especially since I can get better ramen in the city

I am far from a ramen expert, so I don't know what restaurants in the city you are talking about. Please share so I can expand my ramen horizons! Thanks.

I like the one at Cocoro and Ginza Sushi.

Cocoro has miso, shoyu (soy sauce) and shio (salt) ramen. But Ginza has my favorite Tonkotsu (pork bones stock) ramen. It's not the best ramen, but it's pretty good, especially for the city.

Cocoro
    668 N Wells St
    (between Erie St & Huron St)
    Chicago, IL 60610
    (312) 943-2220

Ginza Japanese Restaurant
    19 E Ohio St
    (between State St & Wabash Ave)
    Chicago, IL 60611
    (312) 222-0600
  • Post #88 - April 2nd, 2009, 8:17 am
    Post #88 - April 2nd, 2009, 8:17 am Post #88 - April 2nd, 2009, 8:17 am
    Picked up some UrbanBelly takeout last night. I had forgotten how boring I had found the wrinkle beans last time, so I ordered them again. Still boring. Also got the short rib and scallion rice which was OK. Tasty, but missing some kind of oomph I had hoped for.

But the udon. Oh, the udon. One of my favorite soup-meals in the city.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #89 - April 11th, 2009, 3:46 pm
    Post #89 - April 11th, 2009, 3:46 pm Post #89 - April 11th, 2009, 3:46 pm
    I had a very successful lunch at Urban Belly. For those who are New York-centric, it is not momofuku, but Bill Kim tries to give off some of the same vibe. I agree with Crazy C that the dishes were a bit over-salted, but not so much that it distracted from the taste. I ordered a very savory Chinese eggplant with Thai Basil, a pungent (though soy sauced) lamb and brandy dumplings (it's almost Easter), and one of their specials: crispy sweetbreads with mandarin segments. The sweetbreads were quite delicious, perfected prepared, and nicely matched with the orange segments. The dumplings were served on a bed of edamame, a problem if one cannot eat soy beans (they use a lot of soy sauce, but my condition is not so severe as to make that a problem). The cooks and servers readily replated the dish with tasty long-beans.

I can see myself returning, particularly as the lunch came to $25, which I thought was quite reasonable considering the amount of carefully prepared food. Next time I will try the ramen.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #90 - April 13th, 2009, 3:13 pm
    Post #90 - April 13th, 2009, 3:13 pm Post #90 - April 13th, 2009, 3:13 pm
    I see my one post on UB has gone missing, so I will repeat it in short form here.

I had no problem with anything at UB except this.

The ingredients were good, the preparation well done, but the seasoning, the palate, left me cold. I enjoyed the first bite of each of our dishes, enjoying the subtlety and depth of the flavors. As I chewed, new notes, different flavors kept emerging. And kept emerging.

By the third bite, I was tired, worn out, wanting to taste one thing, not 10 with each fighting for my attention. In the end I found all the food overseasoned, not in the sense that any one seasoning was added with too heavy a hand, but because the seasoning was so complex, so full of layers, that it lost me at some point. Enough, I wanted to cry, enough.

This is a strange criticism in many ways, as I usually prefer assertive and complex seasoning. It is also strange as I readily acknowledge that there is real ambition and creativity at work at UB, so much so that I really need to go back again and see if my reaction is the same. But instead of coming together as lively and interesting food, it became a cacophony of flavors, jarring and annoying by the third bite, leaving me wanting a soothing symphony of rich and restrained flavor.

Make what you will of that. Maybe on another day it would have left me energized and not enervated, though I usually find nouvelle Asian food, and particularly pan-Asian and fusion attempts, to be much less interesting than the real stuff. Hey, I understand that it is possible in theory to improve on a perfectly prepared bowl of ramen, but it is damned hard to pull off.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more