LTH Home

Pita Inn Maiden Voyage

Pita Inn Maiden Voyage
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 7
  • Post #121 - May 31st, 2014, 12:26 pm
    Post #121 - May 31st, 2014, 12:26 pm Post #121 - May 31st, 2014, 12:26 pm
    PSA: The Business Lunch Special at Pita Inn, one of best deals around, is now $6.72 instead of $5.45.
    Still a good deal, but maybe no longer a screaming value.
    I have always appreciated being able to squeeze two meals out of it, especially during the occasional period of unemployment.
    (I'm guessing the construction of an expanded Skokie flagship location, at the old Barnum & Bagel site, has something to do with the price increase.)
    Last edited by TomInSkokie on October 4th, 2016, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #122 - May 31st, 2014, 8:02 pm
    Post #122 - May 31st, 2014, 8:02 pm Post #122 - May 31st, 2014, 8:02 pm
    TomInSkokie wrote:PSA: The Business Lunch Special at Pita Inn, one of best deals around, is now $6.53 instead of $5.45.
    Still a good deal, but maybe no longer a screaming value.
    I have always appreciated being able to squeeze two meals out of it, especially during the occasional period of unemployment.
    (I'm guessing the construction of an expanded Skokie flagship location, at the old Barnum & Bagel site, has something to do with the price increase.)

I think they upped the price of the lunch special to $5.99 (at least in Glenview) and thats the price I see on the webiste for Pita Inn:
    http://www.pita-inn.com/menu.php

Code: Select all
    BUSINESS LUNCH SPECIAL

Mon-Fri: 11am-3pm - Non Holiday

Combination of Shish Kabob, Kifta Kabob, Shawarma, Chicken Tender and Falafel served with rice pilaf, salad and our homemade pita bread.

Business Lunch Special
    $5.99
  • Post #123 - June 1st, 2014, 6:28 am
    Post #123 - June 1st, 2014, 6:28 am Post #123 - June 1st, 2014, 6:28 am
    Still a bargain. I'd assume 4.99 w/o the chicken.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #124 - June 1st, 2014, 11:14 am
    Post #124 - June 1st, 2014, 11:14 am Post #124 - June 1st, 2014, 11:14 am
    The price I quoted included tax. The amount stuck in my brain because I had my usual with-tax price of $5.45 ready to hand over, and then I had to fish around for more coins.
  • Post #125 - July 18th, 2014, 12:40 am
    Post #125 - July 18th, 2014, 12:40 am Post #125 - July 18th, 2014, 12:40 am
    I think I've died and gone to heaven. I found this forum by accident, doing a web search for "calories in Pita Inn kibbeh". Barnum and Bagel? Myron and Phil's? I'm in Jewish heaven. Went to Pita Inn tonight. Lebanese Heaven!

Anyone know the calories in their kibbeh? If not, I will just drool on myself reading my way through these posts.
  • Post #126 - October 14th, 2014, 11:16 pm
    Post #126 - October 14th, 2014, 11:16 pm Post #126 - October 14th, 2014, 11:16 pm
    Skunked again at lunch on Tuesday -- another entree, paid for and not included in our order. Pita Inn Skokie has some of the shoddiest and sloppiest carry-out service I know of but hey, at least they're consistently so. It's uncanny how often paid-for items are not included in our orders. It's almost a guarantee that at least one item will be missing, sometimes more. As I posted upthread, a while back we went through a lengthy period during which we jokingly referred to it as "Inn" because of how often they forgot to include pita bread in our order.

I may have to ban it again from our office lunch rotation. :x

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #127 - October 15th, 2014, 5:52 am
    Post #127 - October 15th, 2014, 5:52 am Post #127 - October 15th, 2014, 5:52 am
    Talked to one of the long-time Pita Inn workers at the Skokie store recently, who is now manning the operation in Mundelein. He told me at the new home for Pita Inn/Skokie, at the former Barnum & Bagel on Dempster, they aim to have separate lines and grills for eat-in & carry-out. Maybe that will alleviate some of the missing order problems.

In Mundelein, where they do good business but not nearly the chaos in Skokie, any pick-up order is checked piece-by-piece before it's handed to the customer.
  • Post #128 - October 15th, 2014, 6:41 am
    Post #128 - October 15th, 2014, 6:41 am Post #128 - October 15th, 2014, 6:41 am
    I'm happy to hear that Pita Inn Skokie is relocating-expanding. It's in dire need of such!

I have learned to go there at totally off hours. I went there last night at 9pm for a late-night snack. All was good!

I've, thankfully, only been shorted little things like a piece of falafel here and there. What is most annoying, and to no fault of the restaurant, is the parking situation and crowd situation. Though only because it is delicious and consistent food... I hope that the old Barnum Bagel location will alleviate some of that overflow.

I've been to all the other locations and they seem to be a bit better in that regard!
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #129 - October 15th, 2014, 10:25 am
    Post #129 - October 15th, 2014, 10:25 am Post #129 - October 15th, 2014, 10:25 am
    They are building from scratch at the former Barnum & Bagel location, so there will be no excuses for mucking up customers' orders.

=R=
  • Post #130 - October 15th, 2014, 5:30 pm
    Post #130 - October 15th, 2014, 5:30 pm Post #130 - October 15th, 2014, 5:30 pm
    Well, I cannot remember the Wheeling location ever making a mistake on my order. Those people have it together.
  • Post #131 - October 15th, 2014, 8:40 pm
    Post #131 - October 15th, 2014, 8:40 pm Post #131 - October 15th, 2014, 8:40 pm
    My favorite falafel outside of my home. I hope they add french fries to the menu. I love that place. Love their hot sauce, their lentil soup, the mint tea.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #132 - October 15th, 2014, 11:05 pm
    Post #132 - October 15th, 2014, 11:05 pm Post #132 - October 15th, 2014, 11:05 pm
    sandman wrote:Well, I cannot remember the Wheeling location ever making a mistake on my order. Those people have it together.

Actually, they kinda screwed up an order for me awhile back, probably a couple years ago.

I went in by myself to order carry-out for myself and my husband. It was probably around 8pm, so past the dinner rush and there was maybe one or two other people also placing orders. I ordered a couple of combination plates, probably a yogurt salad and some extra falafel- our usual order.

A few minutes later, my order is up and it's all on plates. :? I nicely/semi-apologetically told the guy who put it all together that the order was supposed to be for carry-out. He said ok, and started packing it up.

The guy who was manning the register overheard and got all huffy and confrontational with me- "I asked you if this was for here or to go and you said it was for here!"

I know that once I gave him the order, the only questions he asked me were ones that could only be answered yes or no, so if he asked me, he phrased it, "is this for here?" and maybe I didn't hear him correctly and said "yes", but I'm 99% sure I told him it was "to go" at some point in our conversation. Yes, it's my fault for thoughtlessly answering his questions, but as someone who's worked in customer service for over 10 years, with both phone and face-to-face conversations, I conscientiously word questions to whoever I'm talking to so they have to give me a real answer, not just a yes or no because I know people (obviously, including myself) will just say yes or no without actually listening. I would expect that a place that does that much business, as quickly as they pump things out, would also put some thought into how they phrase things.

And even if it is the customer's fault, you don't use the snotty attitude that guy had with me.
  • Post #133 - October 17th, 2014, 1:13 pm
    Post #133 - October 17th, 2014, 1:13 pm Post #133 - October 17th, 2014, 1:13 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Skunked again at lunch on Tuesday -- another entree, paid for and not included in our order. Pita Inn Skokie has some of the shoddiest and sloppiest carry-out service I know of but hey, at least they're consistently so. It's uncanny how often paid-for items are not included in our orders. It's almost a guarantee that at least one item will be missing, sometimes more. As I posted upthread, a while back we went through a lengthy period during which we jokingly referred to it as "Inn" because of how often they forgot to include pita bread in our order.

=R=

That's weird, I've been patronizing the Inn on Dempster since 1994 and have never had an order screwed up. Probably eaten there and taken out foot in excess of 150 times.
  • Post #134 - October 17th, 2014, 1:20 pm
    Post #134 - October 17th, 2014, 1:20 pm Post #134 - October 17th, 2014, 1:20 pm
    shakes wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Skunked again at lunch on Tuesday -- another entree, paid for and not included in our order. Pita Inn Skokie has some of the shoddiest and sloppiest carry-out service I know of but hey, at least they're consistently so. It's uncanny how often paid-for items are not included in our orders. It's almost a guarantee that at least one item will be missing, sometimes more. As I posted upthread, a while back we went through a lengthy period during which we jokingly referred to it as "Inn" because of how often they forgot to include pita bread in our order.

=R=

That's weird, I've been patronizing the Inn on Dempster since 1994 and have never had an order screwed up. Probably eaten there and taken out foot in excess of 150 times.

Maybe it's phoned in carry-out orders for groups of 8-12 that trip them up. It's happened to us so many times, I can't even count them.

=R=
  • Post #135 - December 5th, 2014, 12:53 pm
    Post #135 - December 5th, 2014, 12:53 pm Post #135 - December 5th, 2014, 12:53 pm
    Another day, another botched order at (Pita) Inn Skokie. Happily, I'm working from home today (and was not personally vicitimized) but the crew at the office called to tell me that today's carry-out lunch order had ZERO pita bread and none of the lentil soups that were ordered were included, though we were charged for them. I think you pretty much have to count your fingers when you leave this place and make sure you still have all 10 of them.

I guess we're back to just calling this place Inn, since there's no Pita involved. In any case, I have a feeling that another ban is probably coming very soon.

=R=
  • Post #136 - December 5th, 2014, 1:08 pm
    Post #136 - December 5th, 2014, 1:08 pm Post #136 - December 5th, 2014, 1:08 pm
    Sorry to say we recently had a botched order as well.

A couple of weeks ago one evening we placed a take out order for 2 Chicken Shawarma sandwiches, a Felafel Sandwich, a Vegetarian Combo and an order of extra pita bread. When we arrived home there was no Vegetarian Combo in the bag. We did, however, receive 16 pieces of pita bread. I'm guessing someone else who was in line got an unexpected Vegetarian Combo and no pita bread.

I called to let them know about it and the guy on the phone was too busy to talk. He asked if he could call back. He never did.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #137 - December 5th, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Post #137 - December 5th, 2014, 1:10 pm Post #137 - December 5th, 2014, 1:10 pm
    bw77 wrote:We did, however, receive 16 pieces of pita bread.

Maybe you and Ronnie can work something out.
  • Post #138 - December 6th, 2014, 9:44 am
    Post #138 - December 6th, 2014, 9:44 am Post #138 - December 6th, 2014, 9:44 am
    cilantro wrote:
    bw77 wrote:We did, however, receive 16 pieces of pita bread.

Maybe you and Ronnie can work something out.

It was odd because I kept unwrapping clump after aluminum foil wrapped clump and finding more and more Pita bread. We also received four containers of hot sauce and four containers of garlic sauce - all of which were gladly accepted and have been put to good use.
  • Post #139 - December 15th, 2014, 10:39 am
    Post #139 - December 15th, 2014, 10:39 am Post #139 - December 15th, 2014, 10:39 am
    If you get the chance, try the new Shawarma Inn in Park Ridge for Middle Eastern cuisine. I've always liked their original location on Lincoln Ave. in the city. The original location is a 24/7 operation, and the place is always filled with cab drivers at all hours. The second location in Park Ridge is obviously much more suburban and is only open from 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM. The staff are always very nice, accommodating, and family friendly.

As for the food, their kefta kabob is very good, and their beef shawarma is excellent. Same for their hummus. The thin slices of sirloin beef are always perfectly seasoned, cooked rotisserie style, and perfectly soft- it's NEVER well done or tough. And their rice is some of the best Middle Eastern style rice I've ever had, along with their lentil soup. The last time I was at Pita Inn I actually saw them pouring rice out of a bag- literally- which is probably why Pita Inn's rice has never been that good to me. The rice at Shawarma Inn has that smokey taste of the charcoal and whatever seasonings they are using. It's very good.

The place is nothing fancy, but it's nicer than their original location in the city. Good stuff. If you're in the area, give it a try instead of Pita Inn Glenview or Pita Inn Skokie.

Just My Very Humble Two Cents As Always,

deepdish

Shawarma Inn
    715 E. Devon Ave.
    Park Ridge, IL
    10:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Shawarma Inn (original location)
    5523 N. Lincoln Ave.
    Chicago, IL
    Open 24/7
  • Post #140 - June 4th, 2015, 11:40 am
    Post #140 - June 4th, 2015, 11:40 am Post #140 - June 4th, 2015, 11:40 am
    Ok, back to Pita Inn. The new Skokie location opened yesterday at what once was the site of Barnum and Bagel (new building at 4700 Dempster St, Skokie, IL 60076). And I had to laugh when my co-workers reported to me that they got back to the office and, just like with so many carry-out orders placed at the previous location, there were no pitas at all in their order. Happily, I was out of town when this occurred.

Yes, it was their first day operating at the new location and from what I hear, it was a total sh*thshow but I found this error to be beyond comical. I guess the new location isn't going to solve some lingering, and apparently systematic, service issues . . . at least not right away.

=R=
  • Post #141 - June 4th, 2015, 1:34 pm
    Post #141 - June 4th, 2015, 1:34 pm Post #141 - June 4th, 2015, 1:34 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Ok, back to Pita Inn. The new Skokie location opened yesterday at what once was the site of Barnum and Bagel (new building at 4700 Dempster St, Skokie, IL 60076). And I had to laugh when my co-workers reported to me that they got back to the office and, just like with so many carry-out orders placed at the previous location, there were no pitas at all in their order. Happily, I was out of town when this occurred.

Yes, it was their first day operating at the new location and from what I hear, it was a total sh*thshow but I found this error to be beyond comical. I guess the new location isn't going to solve some lingering, and apparently systematic, service issues . . . at least not right away.

=R=

Maybe you should change the last name of the guy that orders your carry outs. Coincindetally, I did a drive by at about 12:30 today. The lots was full and there were cars hovering around waiting for spots. I'll wait for the hype/crowds to die down before my maiden voyage.

As a data point - the original spot on Dempster is closed. It will be remodeled and have a slightly different menu in a few months. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/s ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #142 - June 4th, 2015, 7:15 pm
    Post #142 - June 4th, 2015, 7:15 pm Post #142 - June 4th, 2015, 7:15 pm
    We've done a few delivery orders from Larsa's in the past couple of months. Really tasty and really quick. Last week's delivery was so quick, I felt obligated to give a significantly larger tip.
  • Post #143 - June 5th, 2015, 8:17 am
    Post #143 - June 5th, 2015, 8:17 am Post #143 - June 5th, 2015, 8:17 am
    I'm glad, I guess that the bigger Skokie location is opened, as it's been such a madhouse at the old place on the weekends. Still, based on my last trip to Pita Inn, this time to the one on Milwaukee (Niles?), I'm not so sure I'm eager to return.

I mentioned it somewhere before, that Naf Naf and Pita Inn were merging in price, and between the two I strongly prefer Naf. This is even more so. About a week ago, I had the combo platter for dinner, which ran about $9 and on top of that, I foolishly paid like 75 cents for a small (small) serving of toum or garlic sauce. The meats were especially awful, and a lot of the plate was filler, bland rice and blander salad. It used to be the sauces made up for a certain amount of meh in the kitchen, bit this time, the red sauce was pretty meh too (and I hate that word, meh too but cannot think of a better word).

I know it is no where comparable in the sense of where one is versus the other, but I just keep on growing more fond of Jerusalem Cafe in Oak Park, and I think having more/better options makes me like Pita Inn less. The grilled meats are so much better at Jerusalem Cafe, and then you throw in this condiment bar, oy vay nothing's been this good since Falafel King in Westwood. You want garlic sauce, well help yourself to as much as you want. A green spicy sauce, think the old, great Salam, but again as much as you want, and always several kids of pickles. This alone is worth it. Now, if they could only open a Stan's in Oak Park. Pita Inn, who needs.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #144 - June 5th, 2015, 2:15 pm
    Post #144 - June 5th, 2015, 2:15 pm Post #144 - June 5th, 2015, 2:15 pm
    Four of us went to the new Pita Inn last night around 6:30. Although parking was tight, the line moved quickly and seating was plentiful--a huge relief--no acting like vultures waiting for some hapless family to finish eating.

The food: Loved it all. Hot, light falafel, tasty lamb kababs, tangy tabbouleh, olives and pickles. We did have to wait for chicken shawerma but not terribly long, less than they quoted us. Now there's a grab-n-go case at the front with coke products, no-alcohol beer, and pre-packed hummus. still only Pepsi in the fountain but now it's self-serve. Curtains are on order so the sun does stream in.

All in all, I think the new place is a step up.
    "The only thing I have to eat is Yoo-hoo and Cocoa puffs so if you want anything else, you have to bring it with you."
  • Post #145 - June 13th, 2015, 11:26 am
    Post #145 - June 13th, 2015, 11:26 am Post #145 - June 13th, 2015, 11:26 am
    The new location is beautiful. The food is exactly the same, if not slightly better prepared. They are working out some bugs still as far as service. The line moves quickly, but I found the time it takes to get the food is still kind of slow. All of the familiar employees are still around though, which is nice. I'm happy they kept their staff. Pita Inn is part of my regular rotation and it's nice to see familiar faces.

It was time for a change and an upgrade. The old location had problems with it's size. On a busy evening the ordering and pickup area was just terribly crowded. It was a feat in and of itself to grab your tray of food and make it back to the table without it on the floor. It was convoluted, and I'm glad there's an actual flow to the restaurant now.

I'm curious to see what they turn the old location into...
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #146 - June 19th, 2015, 9:54 am
    Post #146 - June 19th, 2015, 9:54 am Post #146 - June 19th, 2015, 9:54 am
    Went to Pita Inn's new location on Dempster - very nice and spacious. You do not feel like you are sitting on top of each other. Only down side is the with the high ceiling it is very noisy. More importantly the food is still EXCELLENT!
  • Post #147 - September 15th, 2015, 10:20 am
    Post #147 - September 15th, 2015, 10:20 am Post #147 - September 15th, 2015, 10:20 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Ok, back to Pita Inn. The new Skokie location opened yesterday at what once was the site of Barnum and Bagel (new building at 4700 Dempster St, Skokie, IL 60076). And I had to laugh when my co-workers reported to me that they got back to the office and, just like with so many carry-out orders placed at the previous location, there were no pitas at all in their order. Happily, I was out of town when this occurred.

=R=

As a PSA for Ronnie - we did a fairly large carryout from them on Sunday. Our order was complete, including the requisite pita bread.
  • Post #148 - September 15th, 2015, 5:17 pm
    Post #148 - September 15th, 2015, 5:17 pm Post #148 - September 15th, 2015, 5:17 pm
    I went last week. Something was missing in the falafel. This was disheartening because it has been my favorite falafel outside of my own. It was not as well seasoned and a bit soft in the interior. The requisite crunch from the exterior was present. Baba ghanoush, tea, and baklava were delicious. Pita was a bit tough. They have a microwave. I hope they didn't put it in there.

No problems with parking or getting a table last Wednesday around 11:30 am. I was there until about 1 pm and getting a table was never a problem in this new space.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #149 - November 23rd, 2015, 1:05 am
    Post #149 - November 23rd, 2015, 1:05 am Post #149 - November 23rd, 2015, 1:05 am
    Hi- I went to Pita Inn tonight for the first time since they relocated. There is a lot more room in the new location, and the place was probably only half full about 6:00 tonight, but there is not nearly enough parking there, and there is not enough room to maneuver your car. As I was pulling out of my parking spot, I was worried that I was going to hit another car behind me. They do not give you enough space to turn your car around, and then I decided to exit the parking lot in the back, and it took me forever to make a left hand turn onto Dempster. If it was this bad on a Sunday evening, I hate to think how bad it would be getting out of there on a weekday at lunch time. One of my friends had a birthday today, and so I asked him if he wanted to go to Pita Inn. He had never been there before. He ordered the beef kabob platter, and he said it was okay, but I could tell he did not love it. He also had a piece of baklava, which he had never had before. He said that it was good, but I think it was a little sugar over load for him. I had the spicy chicken tenders platter, which was not spicy. I wished I would have had the lamb kabobs instead. Everything else was just fine though. The main reason I got the chicken tenders was because I thought it would be healthy, and it was. They gave me three chicken patties though, and I could only finish half of the patties. Maybe next time I go there I will stick to a falafel sandwich. I know their falafel is good.

I see somebody else noticed it too, but I noticed that their restaurant was really noisy, even though we sat in the small room off of the entrance thinking it would be quieter. The building is gorgeous, and is four times the size of the old location, but I don't think they thought out the parking situation very well. It has to be a zoo there at lunch time. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #150 - May 24th, 2016, 8:25 am
    Post #150 - May 24th, 2016, 8:25 am Post #150 - May 24th, 2016, 8:25 am
    Zad by Pita Inn will at the original Pita Inn Skokie location at 3910 Dempster St. New signs are being erected this morning.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more