LTH Home

Pita Inn Maiden Voyage

Pita Inn Maiden Voyage
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - November 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm
    Post #181 - November 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm Post #181 - November 11th, 2019, 12:19 pm
    shakes wrote:Why would you ever get hummus at Pita Inn when they have the best babaganoush on the planet?
    Once again I imagine I'm an outlier but the only mushed-up eggplant dish I really like, at least that comes easily to mind, is Strange Flavored Eggplant from China Moon Cookbook.

I'm a solid fan of hummus, including Pita Inn version. I should point out I typically make my own hummus and, probably more importantly, am fairly easy on restaurant hummus, not so much store-bought.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #182 - November 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
    Post #182 - November 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm Post #182 - November 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
    shakes wrote:Why would you ever get hummus at Pita Inn when they have the best babaganoush on the planet?
    I could never imagine someone saying this from my own experience with Pita Inn's baba (maybe the non-Skokie locations do it way better). Have you ever tried the version at Andies on Clark? Such a unique smokey flavor. The LEYE version available at Ema & Aba (they describe it as charred eggplant spread for whatever reason) is also very good.
  • Post #183 - November 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm
    Post #183 - November 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm Post #183 - November 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm
    shakes wrote:
    Why would you ever get hummus at Pita Inn when they have the best babaganoush on the planet? I guess you could get both, but if you only want one the baba is a no brainer for me. It's so friggen good. I sometimes get a quart and have it over a couple days.

Hey shakes -
    I would never pick hummus over Baba G, I'm with you. BUT, if you like smokey and lemony Baba G, Pita Inn's is nowhere close to the top of my list. I'm not trying to know anything better than you, or come off holier than thou in any way at ALL - I'd just want you to hopefully find better to enjoy it even more than you already do. I'm definitely not saying PI's baba is bad, but damn - "best on the planet" is a strong assessment with so many renditions around. Granted, PI generally has the market cornered in the areas that they are in, but "planet?" Maybe "Wheeling" or "Glenview," but..."Planet?"

Again, I'm a fan of PI, I'm a fan of Babag, I'm a fan of their Baba G much more than I am a fan of their hummus, but, "Planet???"
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #184 - November 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm
    Post #184 - November 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm Post #184 - November 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Once again I imagine I'm an outlier but the only mushed-up eggplant dish I really like, at least that comes easily to mind, is Strange Flavored Eggplant from China Moon Cookbook.

Have you never had kashkeh bademjoon? One of the great mushed-up eggplant dishes.
  • Post #185 - November 12th, 2019, 11:46 am
    Post #185 - November 12th, 2019, 11:46 am Post #185 - November 12th, 2019, 11:46 am
    bweiny wrote:
    I could never imagine someone saying this from my own experience with Pita Inn's baba (maybe the non-Skokie locations do it way better). Have you ever tried the version at Andies on Clark? Such a unique smokey flavor. The LEYE version available at Ema & Aba (they describe it as charred eggplant spread for whatever reason) is also very good.

not a fan at all of Andies. I don't like overly smokey baba.
  • Post #186 - November 12th, 2019, 11:48 am
    Post #186 - November 12th, 2019, 11:48 am Post #186 - November 12th, 2019, 11:48 am
    seebee wrote:
    shakes wrote:
    Why would you ever get hummus at Pita Inn when they have the best babaganoush on the planet? I guess you could get both, but if you only want one the baba is a no brainer for me. It's so friggen good. I sometimes get a quart and have it over a couple days.

Hey shakes -
    I would never pick hummus over Baba G, I'm with you. BUT, if you like smokey and lemony Baba G, Pita Inn's is nowhere close to the top of my list. I'm not trying to know anything better than you, or come off holier than thou in any way at ALL - I'd just want you to hopefully find better to enjoy it even more than you already do. I'm definitely not saying PI's baba is bad, but damn - "best on the planet" is a strong assessment with so many renditions around. Granted, PI generally has the market cornered in the areas that they are in, but "planet?" Maybe "Wheeling" or "Glenview," but..."Planet?"

Again, I'm a fan of PI, I'm a fan of Babag, I'm a fan of their Baba G much more than I am a fan of their hummus, but, "Planet???"

sorry, but it is the best I've ever had and I've tried a lot of them (not just in the area). They already have the best tahini sauce I've ever had and I think that's the reason the baba is so good. Lots of places make their baba super smokey and I don't like that. I've never had one that had the same flavor profile as Pita Inn's.
  • Post #187 - November 12th, 2019, 12:06 pm
    Post #187 - November 12th, 2019, 12:06 pm Post #187 - November 12th, 2019, 12:06 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Have you never had kashkeh bademjoon? One of the great mushed-up eggplant dishes.
    I'll be on the lookout, thanks. I might make it myself, hopefully it won't be hard to find kashk, an interesting ingredient. A few recipes I read sub sour cream diluted with a little milk, but whats the fun in that. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #188 - November 12th, 2019, 3:39 pm
    Post #188 - November 12th, 2019, 3:39 pm Post #188 - November 12th, 2019, 3:39 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:Have you never had kashkeh bademjoon? One of the great mushed-up eggplant dishes.
    I'll be on the lookout, thanks. I might make it myself, hopefully it won't be hard to find kashk, an interesting ingredient. A few recipes I read sub sour cream diluted with a little milk, but whats the fun in that. :)

Noon-O-Kabab or it's sibling NOK make a fine version.
  • Post #189 - November 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm
    Post #189 - November 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm Post #189 - November 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Noon-O-Kabab or it's sibling NOK make a fine version.
    Tried kashkeh bademjoon not at Noon-O-Kabab but pretty much across the street at Kabobi. More to my taste than baba, which I often find overly smokey, and I liked the drizzle of pomegranate molasses, but strange flavored eggplant reigns supreme in my mushed-up eggplant lineup.

Kabobi56.jpg Kashkeh bademjoon
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #190 - August 13th, 2020, 2:21 pm
    Post #190 - August 13th, 2020, 2:21 pm Post #190 - August 13th, 2020, 2:21 pm
    Did my first pandemic carryout today from the Skokie location. Easy peasy online ordering through the ChowNow link on the PI website. FYI - 100% of the purchase goes to the restaurant. The restaurant pays an outside flat fee to ChowNow. The $7.99 Business Lunch special is still awesome.

At 11:30, I walked inside to the usual cashier. Gave him my name. Out the door by 11:32. It would have been at 11:31 except I needed to get my own napkins and plastic utensils from the counter.

My food was still piping hot after the ten minute drive over to my dad's place. As you-know-who says = Pita Inn Count Me A Fan!
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #191 - August 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am
    Post #191 - August 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am Post #191 - August 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am
    In my 1st-Post-Lockdown-visit to the original Pita Inn on Dempster-
    I discovered many exciting developments!

A) Outdoor seating! Underneath Tents on their Front driveway-
    very carefully overseen by a PitaInner-who cleans the tables, asking me (several times 8) ) if I needed more Water or Toum or Sauce or "anything", it's a comfort until the seasonal rainy chill begins around the beginning of November.
    Don't forget to tip him a few bucks for his initiative in representing fellow PitaInners in a respectable fashion!

B) The IMPOSSIBLE Meat Kebobs- available as a "dinner" (Rice +6 Kebobs, Salad and Rice and Pita Bread) or as a Sandwich as well!
    For anyone trying to avoid eating Meat, and
    to eat more of a Plant-based-diet,
    this is a beautiful thing!
    Yes- I had planned on a meal of the Business Lunch Special with no meat- but THIS was an amazing treat, and the flavor...well, order it- and tell me if you can discern that it's NOT ground meat! Very moist- well presented- and full of savory flavor- these lil suckas are- da BOMB!

B.*) Just-in-case-you-had-2nd-thoughts about going Plant-Based whilst at The Pita Inn.... ImagePita Inn on Dempster Rd.,Skokie, IL. > Sells & Replaces several Rotisserie’s a day + 2 others on the right side off- frame. by R. Kramer, on Flickr

C) Ordering one's food seems to be "safe" enough - as far as Masked Customers [b]respecting a Socially-Distanced Protocol.[/b]
    It's just that waiting for your number to be called is not quite a a mosh pit, but much less attention paid to being 6-Feet-Apart from your fellow Customers.

The "pager" system they'd used for years has disappeared
    as has pick your own Hot-Sauce (yummmmmmmm) or Tahini Sauce.
    Instead, those are requested at The Cashier (as is "Torshi"- my favorite accoutrement! :D )
    and also brought to The Order-Expediter-attention- "Lalo"- who is running that counter with military-precision.
    No more "real" Silverware also is a Pandemic-inspired change.

All-in-all-a-FINE example of a Middle Eastern Restaurant chain that is as consistent as
    ANY LETTUCE Entertain You Restaurant is.
    And- that is a good thing.
  • Post #192 - September 13th, 2020, 6:55 am
    Post #192 - September 13th, 2020, 6:55 am Post #192 - September 13th, 2020, 6:55 am
    The IMPOSSIBLE Meat Kebob's now being served at PITA INN,
    warranted a return visit,
    to see if
    they are as good as I remembered.......
    ImageExtra Yummmmm Impossible Kebobs @ Pita Inn by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    and
    ImageThe IMPOSSIBLE Meat > becomes a Middle Eastern Kebob Dinner Special by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    I can definitely say-
    Yes, they are as good as I remembered.
  • Post #193 - September 13th, 2020, 7:24 am
    Post #193 - September 13th, 2020, 7:24 am Post #193 - September 13th, 2020, 7:24 am
    Hombre de Acero wrote:IMPOSSIBLE Meat > becomes a Middle Eastern Kebob Dinner Special[/url] by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    I can definitely say-
    Yes, they are as good as I remembered.

Dear Man of Steel,

Your pictures are terrific, praise effusive though I remain scarred from my one and only impossible burger experience, a White Castle I B slider. I typically go all veg at Pita Inn anyway, vegetarian combo with a few added falafel.

Regards,
    G Wiv
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #194 - September 13th, 2020, 10:12 am
    Post #194 - September 13th, 2020, 10:12 am Post #194 - September 13th, 2020, 10:12 am
    Thanks Gary, for your kind words.
    I'm as "passionate" about Food and Preparing it-as
    I am about my Photography & Steel Furniture I design/MAKE.

If I may offer a comment about comparing an experience at The 'Castle,
    to any-thing-having-to-do-with......."taste" :lol: :wink: :roll:
    I believe I just did.

Go-forth-young-Man...and
    enter the realm of Plant-based "Meat".
    (In the words of Claire Peller-
    you'll be askin'-
    "Where's-The-Beef"?! )

If it was so un-worthy, :?
    I doubt the Market valuations of both Beyond ($133.00 a share) and IMPOSSIBLE($4.0 Billion Value)
    would be anywhere near where they are trading today.
    Maybe if you got on The Plant-based-BBQ Circuit,
    it could be your next
    Book-tour! :wink:
  • Post #195 - October 13th, 2020, 12:56 pm
    Post #195 - October 13th, 2020, 12:56 pm Post #195 - October 13th, 2020, 12:56 pm
    Had the Impossible kebabs this weekend. They clearly put some thought into it. Nicely spiced and deftly timed on the grill. For a fairly thin patty they maintained a nice amount of moisture but still got a good surface texture and taste.
  • Post #196 - October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm
    Post #196 - October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm Post #196 - October 13th, 2020, 12:59 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Had the Impossible kebabs this weekend. They clearly put some thought into it. Nicely spiced and deftly timed on the grill. For a fairly thin patty they maintained a nice amount of moisture but still got a good surface texture and taste.

Do you know if the Impossible kebabs were prepared/cooked on the same surface as “land meat”??
  • Post #197 - October 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm
    Post #197 - October 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm Post #197 - October 13th, 2020, 3:49 pm
    RockyDennis wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:Had the Impossible kebabs this weekend. They clearly put some thought into it. Nicely spiced and deftly timed on the grill. For a fairly thin patty they maintained a nice amount of moisture but still got a good surface texture and taste.

Do you know if the Impossible kebabs were prepared/cooked on the same surface as “land meat”??

Didn't ask because it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. I'm sure they'd tell you if you call.
  • Post #198 - March 17th, 2021, 11:50 am
    Post #198 - March 17th, 2021, 11:50 am Post #198 - March 17th, 2021, 11:50 am
    I'll agree that the 'Impossible Keftas' are really, really good. Best use of plant-based whatever-it-is to date. Sorry, whilst waiting I should have looked to see if it was cooked on the same grill as meat keftas, but from the meaty flavor I imagine they were/are commingled. As spiny norman said, not a deal breaker, but as someone who due to health issues has had to give up all red meat, this is pret-ty pret-ty good, even at the $14.99 for 5 keftas, pilaf and fatoush salad.
  • Post #199 - June 15th, 2021, 8:18 am
    Post #199 - June 15th, 2021, 8:18 am Post #199 - June 15th, 2021, 8:18 am
    Hadn't been to Pita Inn for quite a while. I went to the location on Milwaukee in Niles and had chicken shwarma in a pita. The pita was so dry and crumbly as to make the sandwich unappealing.
  • Post #200 - June 27th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    Post #200 - June 27th, 2021, 9:31 pm Post #200 - June 27th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    I took one of my sisters to Pita Inn in Skokie on Friday. We were going to Kabal House, but there was a hour wait for a table,and they did not have outdoor seating. I said we could go to Pita Inn instead, and they had outdoor seating. I ordered an impossible sandwich. It was good, but it could have been warmer. My Sister said she saw a show on CNBC, about how impossible burgers were made, and she won't eat one. I just had to try one to see how they were. I probably will not have another one. My Sister ordered a lamb kabob plate though, and she got a beef sandwich instead. At least they only charged her $5.99 for the beef sandwich. She was wearing a mask, and it was noisy in the restaurant. She was wondering why our whole bill was only $19. I tried some of her beef, and neither one of us cared for it. This is the third time I have taken her there, and she does not want to go back there. They were busy. This is the first time they have screwed our order.
  • Post #201 - January 29th, 2022, 8:36 pm
    Post #201 - January 29th, 2022, 8:36 pm Post #201 - January 29th, 2022, 8:36 pm
    Sep 27, 2016 — Pita Inn has opened a DuPage County location. 1835 Arbiter Circle, Naperville. champs2005.
    I was travelling west on I-88 near Naperville today to find a new-to-me Pita Inn.

*Oddly. I found this post in a google search, but could not find the actual post in this thread. Oh well!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #202 - January 30th, 2022, 10:01 am
    Post #202 - January 30th, 2022, 10:01 am Post #202 - January 30th, 2022, 10:01 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Sep 27, 2016 — Pita Inn has opened a DuPage County location. 1835 Arbiter Circle, Naperville. champs2005.
    I was travelling west on I-88 near Naperville today to find a new-to-me Pita Inn.

*Oddly. I found this post in a google search, but could not find the actual post in this thread. Oh well!

Post is there, though it has a 2018 date. The 2016 date from the google search is for the post at the top of its page.
    Single post view
    Post in context
  • Post #203 - January 30th, 2022, 10:44 am
    Post #203 - January 30th, 2022, 10:44 am Post #203 - January 30th, 2022, 10:44 am
    edc wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Post is there, though it has a 2018 date. The 2016 date from the google search is for the post at the top of its page.
    Single post view
    Post in context

You are correct, when I reached the page I scanned by date.

Thanks! I know I need to be more persistent or at least scan all the posts on that page.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more