LTH Home

Best Steakhouse in Chicago?

Best Steakhouse in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - December 19th, 2016, 1:22 pm
    Post #91 - December 19th, 2016, 1:22 pm Post #91 - December 19th, 2016, 1:22 pm
    senoritap wrote:This has been such a fun thread to read. Thanks for everyone's input and commitment to useful information. We booked an early NYE reservation at David Burke's. It's been on my list for a long time and the combination of the caesar salad, good quality meat, and notable desserts pushed us over the edge. Happy Holidays!

Just a friendly reminder that if you don't report back on your experience at DB's you will have earned the everlasting enmity of the community :)
  • Post #92 - December 19th, 2016, 3:31 pm
    Post #92 - December 19th, 2016, 3:31 pm Post #92 - December 19th, 2016, 3:31 pm
    Terrific! They're usually happy to show off their aging room, so if you're interested in that, don't be afraid to ask.
    Last edited by nsxtasy on December 19th, 2016, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #93 - December 19th, 2016, 5:23 pm
    Post #93 - December 19th, 2016, 5:23 pm Post #93 - December 19th, 2016, 5:23 pm
    And a point for the service at David Burke. They are very good on days that you wouldn't think would be the most fun for servers (we've been there on Thanksgiving a few times).
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #94 - December 20th, 2016, 7:38 am
    Post #94 - December 20th, 2016, 7:38 am Post #94 - December 20th, 2016, 7:38 am
    Artie wrote:
    nsxtasy wrote:
    midas wrote:Wow, I'm old. I think this is the only steakhouse in this thread I've been to.

Ronnie's Steak House opened in 1963.
    Weren't there some others similar to Ronnie's in that area? "The Flame" perhaps? I remember many of my Saturday itineraries that included a couple of hours playing games at the Treasure Chest Arcade on Randolph just west of State St,followed by a movie,and a cheap steak dinner.

I don't remember going to any others, though I do know there were eventually more than one Ronnie's downtown.

It's funny, I have the same memories of the Treasure Chest, Ronnie's and a movie. I can't imagine parents today letting a pre-teen take the 'L downtown and spend the day unsupervised.
  • Post #95 - December 28th, 2016, 2:19 pm
    Post #95 - December 28th, 2016, 2:19 pm Post #95 - December 28th, 2016, 2:19 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Thanks for the additional information. I don't know what *most* means but that's the kind of language that always concerns me. In other words, phone first and ask for the name of the person with whom you speak. That said, I've always been a fan of S&W.

=R=

*Most* in that the majority of the steaks are dry aged, and clearly noted on the respective menus as to which are and which aren't. The filet, for example, is *not* dry aged (nor is it at most other steakhouses I've been that do dry aging, like S&W).
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #96 - December 28th, 2016, 3:09 pm
    Post #96 - December 28th, 2016, 3:09 pm Post #96 - December 28th, 2016, 3:09 pm
    Kman wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Thanks for the additional information. I don't know what *most* means but that's the kind of language that always concerns me. In other words, phone first and ask for the name of the person with whom you speak. That said, I've always been a fan of S&W.

=R=

*Most* in that the majority of the steaks are dry aged, and clearly noted on the respective menus as to which are and which aren't. The filet, for example, is *not* dry aged (nor is it at most other steakhouses I've been that do dry aging, like S&W).

Generally, there's not enough fat on filets to age them. The loss is too great and the yield too low.

S&W claims that most of their steaks are dry-aged and yet only the Porterhouse and Cowboy Ribeye actually are (both at 28 days). So, do they mean *most* of their offerings, *most* of the steaks they actually sell, or *most* in some other regard? That's why I find the term *most* to be somewhat dubious when used in conjunction with marketing.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #97 - December 28th, 2016, 3:16 pm
    Post #97 - December 28th, 2016, 3:16 pm Post #97 - December 28th, 2016, 3:16 pm
    Based on memories of some solid shivering at the time, I know from personal experience being in their meat locker, that S&W has dry aged loins and ribs--I'm pretty sure there are also pictures on this Forum to support this. That said, times and circumstances change in all sortsa ways, and who's to say what I (we) saw is what they do now. I mean the burger at S&W used to be made from trim leftover from said aging, but I think it has not been done that way for ages.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #98 - December 28th, 2016, 3:38 pm
    Post #98 - December 28th, 2016, 3:38 pm Post #98 - December 28th, 2016, 3:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

S&W claims that most of their steaks are dry-aged and yet only the Porterhouse and Cowboy Ribeye actually are (both at 28 days).

=R=

This would represent a (relatively) recent change, then. IME all of the Ribeyes are dry aged and I'm surprised to hear that the Strips aren't. Certainly recall when we took the aging room tour that you arranged as part of a LTH lunch affair in 2005 that there were many more cuts being aged than just those two that you named.
  • Post #99 - December 28th, 2016, 3:54 pm
    Post #99 - December 28th, 2016, 3:54 pm Post #99 - December 28th, 2016, 3:54 pm
    The current Smith & Wollensky Chicago dinner menu (click here) only indicates "dry aged" as the description for the porterhouse and ribeye, and only in the section of "steaks for two". However, it also mentions dry aging in the prominent "Rare & Well Done" narrative box at the upper right corner of the menu. I would therefore conclude that it's quite possible that other cuts at Smith & Wollensky are also available dry-aged, either as the standard order for the item or as an off-menu item on request.
  • Post #100 - December 28th, 2016, 4:06 pm
    Post #100 - December 28th, 2016, 4:06 pm Post #100 - December 28th, 2016, 4:06 pm
    Kman wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

S&W claims that most of their steaks are dry-aged and yet only the Porterhouse and Cowboy Ribeye actually are (both at 28 days).

=R=

This would represent a (relatively) recent change, then. IME all of the Ribeyes are dry aged and I'm surprised to hear that the Strips aren't. Certainly recall when we took the aging room tour that you arranged as part of a LTH lunch affair in 2005 that there were many more cuts being aged than just those two that you named.

I think you're right, though a lot can change in 10 years.

My only salient point is that it's probably best to call ahead if you have any specific desires or expectations. I've even been to Burke's when they were out of the steak I'd planned on ordering.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #101 - December 28th, 2016, 4:20 pm
    Post #101 - December 28th, 2016, 4:20 pm Post #101 - December 28th, 2016, 4:20 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    My only salient point is that it's probably best to call ahead if you have any specific desires or expectations. I've even been to Burke's when they were out of the steak I'd planned on ordering.

=R=

Calling ahead is always good advice. I'm a sucker for the dry aged prime rib at Prime & Provisions but it runs out early. Calling and asking if one can be set aside for your reservation is a wise call.

• Post #102 - January 1st, 2017, 4:21 pm
    Post #102 - January 1st, 2017, 4:21 pm Post #102 - January 1st, 2017, 4:21 pm
    Quick report back on David Burke's experience last night so as not to earn the "everlasting enmity of the community"!

They were serving a truncated menu for NYE last night so this is not a complete David Burke's Primehouse report.
    Tableside Caesar was not being offered due to the holiday.

55 day ribeye was excellent, deep gamy flavor as expected. All steaks at the table were cooked as requested. You would think this would be a given but we all know it isn't.
    Basil whipped potatoes were the best of the sides. The mac and cheese was so poor that in hindsight we should have sent it back. Sat almost untouched on our table.
    Best dirty martini I've had in a long time.
    Service was very good but food runner who delivered entrees was very confused and sat looking at our ticket for way too long before putting entrees down in front of the wrong people.
    All in all a nice meal but I will explore some of the other mentions on this list before returning.
    Senorita P.
  • Post #103 - January 1st, 2017, 6:04 pm
    Post #103 - January 1st, 2017, 6:04 pm Post #103 - January 1st, 2017, 6:04 pm
    Another report, on what I'm starting to consider the best steakhouse in Chicago: Boeufhaus. NYE dinner, we always sit at the small bar, very convivial, get to chit-chat with owners, chefs, sommeliers, etc. We started with oysters, excellent selection though all I need is them properly cracked and with no shell tidbits (which they were) so can't comment on the sauces accompanying. Moved on to a beet salad, with other roots, celeriac, parsnip, salsify. Well proportioned, satisfying, made us a little less guilty for what was coming next.

The 55 day dry aged ribeye, ordered medium rare. Came out a bit on the rarer side of that, but no criticism, it was easily the best steak I've had this year and I guess a fitting end. Powerful beef flavor, wonderful charred crust, and simply excellent meat to begin with which they explained to me their sourcing process, but I was two drinks in. But ask and they will tell. The owner of the wine store Red and White (Bucktown) curates their wine list and was endlessly patient with us as we sifted through a number of their offerings before deciding on a bottle.

A great overall experience, though definitely not a traditional steakhouse experience if that's what you're after. Very well thought out sides, always seasonal, and a terrific pumpkin creme brulee to end things. I'm not a fan of pumpkin flavored confections usually, but this was a properly executed creme brulee that would have held its own with any of the better bistros in Paris.
  • Post #104 - December 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm
    Post #104 - December 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm Post #104 - December 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm
    Since we're naming places around Chicagoland where you can get dry-aged steaks, two more have popped up, but they're both the kind of place where the menu changes often so they might not be there forever. Last night I ate at Inovasi in Lake Bluff. Their new menu features "CDK Farms Dry Aged Sirloin, marinated in cracked peppercorns and grilled, with crispy papas bravas & 'new style' chimichurri" for $38. And Chicago Magazine's review of the newly-opened Marisol at the Museum of Contemporary Art praises their dry-aged rib steak, but also notes, "Just don’t expect the steak to remain on the menu for long."
  • Post #105 - May 20th, 2018, 7:07 am
    Post #105 - May 20th, 2018, 7:07 am Post #105 - May 20th, 2018, 7:07 am
    nsxtasy wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:at least David Burke's Primehouse gets it right with their dry-aged beef, which is aged in-house. Some of it up to 75 days, iirc. Who else in town is doing that? No one, as far as I know. Dry-aging of any length is becoming more and more uncommon these days but if you're looking for the best, that is the single question you need to ask about any place you plan to visit.

According to their website menus, these places dry age their steaks for the indicated number of days:

Bavette's - Ribeye (42 days), New York Strip (unspecified)
      Boeufhaus - Ribeye (55, 35)
      David Burke's Primehouse - Ribeye (75, 55, 40, 28), Kansas City strip (35), Porterhouse (30)
      Chicago Cut - Ribeye, Filet Mignon, Delmonico, New York Strip, Porterhouse, Prime Rib (all 35)
      Gibson's - Tomahawk Chop (40)
      Maple & Ash - Ribeye (28)
      RPM Steak - Ribeye (60), Cowboy (28), Kansas City Cut (28), New York Strip (28)

EDIT: Below I expanded the list to include many more restaurants, and added links and locations, in a later post (click here).

Mrs Willie & I were at RPM on Friday night, IIRC they had a 180 day dry aged steak they were offering, not on the menu & were informed they don't always have it. I have wanted to try a "long" aged steak for quite awhile so would have chosen the ~$185 cut of beef but I wasn't paying so Mrs Willie & I chose to split the more "moderately" priced bone in Kansas City strip dry aged, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm not a huge fan of their sides -- which, I believe, do matter at a steakhouse --
    absolutely, sides matter at a steakhouse.

At RPM we chose the crispy Brussels sprouts (which had some heat coming from something), mushroom ragout (gnocchi in it??!!), Japanese sweet potatoes w/hoisin like sauce and sliced chilies (minimal heat).

Side note: RPM has gift cards, has anyone seen an offer like LEYE does where during holidays they have a buy $100 get $25 bonus?
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #106 - May 20th, 2018, 9:02 am
    Post #106 - May 20th, 2018, 9:02 am Post #106 - May 20th, 2018, 9:02 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:Side note: RPM has gift cards, has anyone seen an offer like LEYE does where during holidays they have a buy $100 get $25 bonus?

Well, RPM Steak is a LEYE restaurant, so the offer you mention is available there (or, you can buy gift cards at any LEYE restaurant or through their website, and use them at RPM Steak if you want). That offer runs November 1 through December 30 each year. The bonus card is lightly restricted, and you can't use the gift cards the same day you buy them. They run other promotions occasionally during the rest of the year, such as double or triple points in their frequent dining program, but the holiday gift card deal is the best.

Many other restaurants (and restaurant groups) offer similar deals around the holidays, but are either only good at one specific restaurant, or are good at a small group that doesn't offer as much variety as LEYE.
  • Post #107 - June 29th, 2018, 12:07 pm
    Post #107 - June 29th, 2018, 12:07 pm Post #107 - June 29th, 2018, 12:07 pm
    A few nights ago I had a very good dinner at BLVD. I noticed they have two options for dry-aged steaks, so I added them to my list above.
  • Post #108 - September 29th, 2020, 11:50 am
    Post #108 - September 29th, 2020, 11:50 am Post #108 - September 29th, 2020, 11:50 am
    Famed national chain Ruth’s Chris Steak House has temporarily closed its Dearborn Street location, according to a sign in restaurant’s window.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/5/12/212 ... oronavirus
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #109 - October 6th, 2020, 5:30 am
    Post #109 - October 6th, 2020, 5:30 am Post #109 - October 6th, 2020, 5:30 am
    Crain’s is reporting that Ruth’s Chris downtown location has permanently closed.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #110 - November 22nd, 2022, 5:36 pm
    Post #110 - November 22nd, 2022, 5:36 pm Post #110 - November 22nd, 2022, 5:36 pm
    any recent consensus on this? a birthday is coming up and while we eat out in luxe places all the time we have really never done a steakhouse in town other than boeufhaus, which is out because we need to go on a monday (major constraint, yes).
  • Post #111 - November 22nd, 2022, 8:25 pm
    Post #111 - November 22nd, 2022, 8:25 pm Post #111 - November 22nd, 2022, 8:25 pm
    For something a little different, try Holu in the 88 Marketplace. Instead of a big slab, 1oz cubes of different prime cuts
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #112 - September 13th, 2023, 11:45 am
    Post #112 - September 13th, 2023, 11:45 am Post #112 - September 13th, 2023, 11:45 am
    JoelF wrote:For something a little different, try Holu in the 88 Marketplace. Instead of a big slab, 1oz cubes of different prime cuts
    I was in 88 Marketplace for the first time about a month ago, went for some roast duck to bring home (it was good but not as good as Sun Wah's take out). thanks for the heads up on Holu
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more