LTH Home

CND Gyros & Lounge: in a time warp set off the Mag Mile

CND Gyros & Lounge: in a time warp set off the Mag Mile
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - October 14th, 2008, 8:45 pm
    Post #61 - October 14th, 2008, 8:45 pm Post #61 - October 14th, 2008, 8:45 pm
    I had lunch at CND Gyros this afternoon. I took the plunge and ordered the gyros melt. I thought the gyros themselves were okay. Not really good, but not bad either. I really didn't like the "melt" portion of the sandwich. I thought the plastic-tasting cheese really brought the whole sandwich down. I would have preferred a plain gyros sandwich. I also didn't like the grilled onions-to me, raw onions taste better with gyros. Overall, I thought the sandwich was okay (I wouldn't order it again, although I might order gyros without cheese). As I sit here typing, this sandwich is also with us-sitting like a rock in my stomach.

My DC ordered a chili dog and a broasted wing. The DC liked the broasted wing just fine, but thought the breading was too "sandy." The chili on the chili dog was pretty good-in an appealing school cafeteria fashion. My two bites reminded me of a sloppy joe. The hot dog itself was terrible. Mushy, tasteless and straight from the grocery store plastic package (as was the accompanying hot dog bun).

All in all, I don't think the quality of the food here is deserving of a GNR. Perhaps I will be back after a hard day on Boule Mich for a good old school G&T (and maybe some mozzarella sticks :oops: ).
  • Post #62 - October 15th, 2008, 1:21 pm
    Post #62 - October 15th, 2008, 1:21 pm Post #62 - October 15th, 2008, 1:21 pm
    I returned for the Gyros melt (after having the Gyros previously). While I certainly enjoyed the experience of the gyros melt (it is an unusual combination, but not an unpleasant one), I don't find myself with a strong urge to have a second one, even if I were walking by. I think CND deserves the praise that we have given it on the CND thread (both for the melt and the ambiance) but nothing in the sandwich screamed out GNR!
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #63 - February 18th, 2009, 5:38 pm
    Post #63 - February 18th, 2009, 5:38 pm Post #63 - February 18th, 2009, 5:38 pm
    Since I live in the area, I decided to go to CND Gyro's off grand in streeterville downtown... I remember a few people had mentioned this place as decent and figured I might as well give it a try, perhaps it could save me the frequent trips to greektown (parthenon, greek islands) and save me a few bucks as well. I ordered the gyro plate at 7.99 as well as the baklava... Basically this was one of the worst Gyro's I've ever had, and I went right at the lunch rush hour as well. The meat was wet, with no crisp edges, almost slimly, and had an overall salty, processed flavor. Not to mention an unappealing greenish hue to it, very greasy and yet no complexity of flavor at all. They threw in fries with the meal which I threw out, they were soggy and not crispy at all, the baklava was horrible as well. I really wanted to like this place as it's close to me and a throwback type of establishment, but even the gyro's at the 24 hour Mr. Greeks are twice as good as these and to top it off, they cut my pita bread into 3 small pieces for some odd reason. I usually give a place more than one chance but I was so disturbed by this that I'll probably never return. Lesson learned, stick with the parthenon and greek islands, I wonder if all the people on here that profess their love for CND, and other places have even tried the gyro's at Parthenon or Greek Islands in Greektown, because if they have I am dumfounded as to why they would prefer any other places, besides the slight cost savings and if it happens to be within walking distance for a lunch spot.

CND Gyros & Lounge
    205 E Grand Ave - At N St Clair St
    Chicago, IL 60611
    312 467-4195
    Last edited by FoodSnob77 on February 18th, 2009, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #64 - February 18th, 2009, 6:04 pm
    Post #64 - February 18th, 2009, 6:04 pm Post #64 - February 18th, 2009, 6:04 pm
    FoodSnob77 wrote: I wonder if all the people on here that profess their love for CND, and other places have even tried the gyro's at Parthenon

I have.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #65 - February 21st, 2009, 10:38 am
    Post #65 - February 21st, 2009, 10:38 am Post #65 - February 21st, 2009, 10:38 am
    I frequent Greektown as well as Hub's for gyros. GI is my husband's and my lunch date place when we both happen to be downtown. One of us always gets the gyros as it's probably the best value on GI's menu.

I've never ordered the plate at CND so I can't comment, but I think the Melt is a great sandwich. Sorry you didn't enjoy your visit there.
  • Post #66 - March 18th, 2009, 9:41 am
    Post #66 - March 18th, 2009, 9:41 am Post #66 - March 18th, 2009, 9:41 am
    I love a specialty sandwich and just had to stop by for the gyros melt (with egg). With some places it is a matter of timing and in this case I gave it some serious though. Didn't want to stop by during the lunch crush (lightly cooked meat) or in the evening or weekend (freshness issues) so I decided to stop by during the week about 2:00 pm. Perfect timing! :)

Gyro Melt with Egg, side of a chicken leg and a mug of draft Old style (lottery ticket not shown)

The gyros meat was cooked perfectly, the bread nicely browned and the cheese melted thoroughly. The issues with the inexpensive cheese is moot as this is a dive bar. Tasted good enough.

When ordering the barmaid asked if I was a friend of Bob S as he comes in all the time and also orders the egg option.

The sandwich was awesome! The chicken leg suffered from being in the display case too long as it was a bit dry. The beer? Cold and wet. :)

I had taken up a seat a stool away from an older gent who turned out to be the owner John. He gave me some of the backstory and took me on the nickel tour of the interesting wall hangings.

25th Anniversary Posters

Hardhat collection, jukebox, world map

Statue of the owner John done by one of the employees

I also did buy a dollar lottery ticket (I Won!) and rolled my winnings into a $2 ticket (I lost).

All in all a great lunch. Had some great conversations with the barmaid and another patron. It has all the history, atmosphere, character and unique and good food to be a GNR but if consistency and quality is an issue...

Front Takeout Counter

Back Bar with the infamous Lottery Tickets
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #67 - March 19th, 2009, 3:28 pm
    Post #67 - March 19th, 2009, 3:28 pm Post #67 - March 19th, 2009, 3:28 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:It has all the history, atmosphere, character and unique and good food to be a GNR but if consistency and quality is an issue...

Panther,

I fell in love with CND at first blush, count me a fan!

Great pic of the Gyro Melt with Egg.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #68 - August 12th, 2009, 1:46 pm
    Post #68 - August 12th, 2009, 1:46 pm Post #68 - August 12th, 2009, 1:46 pm
    Aaron Deacon wrote:
    JeffB wrote:I love learning about places like this, and it often happens as a result of GNRs discussion.

I will check CND out, but I fear that it might not be enough about the food there to support a GNR. Just an uneducated guess based on the documentation. Nonetheless, looks like a place where I'd rather spend time and money than many GNR worthy spots.

Which brings me to an idea -- is LTH ready for more categories? Because I could see CND joining the Hourglass (the still-obscure Korean soju bar and late night snack joint) and others as a Great Neighborhood Watering Hole, with Food. Or maybe it joins Pepper's Sandwich Shop, Diner Grill and others as Great Neighborhood Dump where We Happily Eat. Or perchance it ranks with Hamburger King and Orange Garden in the category, Weird Places We Love for All Sorts of Reasons, Some of Which Have to Do with Food.

Great post, on a number of levels.

Finally, I made it. Last weekend I had a number of friends in town for Lollapalooza and various after hours concerts around town. During mid-afternoon refreshment breaks, I, as the local host, made an effort to take my visitors to "real" Chicago establishments. That was tough, as we couldn't stray too far from Grant Park. A certain theme developed: Cal's/Pepper's, Stocks and Blondes', and, best of all, CND. On a hot day when I wanted to go to nearby Ginza for cold beer and cold fish, I was overruled. So on to CND. Maybe it was the effect of icy A/C and darkness after drinking in the hot sun all afternoon, but the gyros melts and grilled chicken sandwiches were brilliant. Not sure this was mentioned upthread, but the grilled onions make the melt. Really good grilled onions.
  • Post #69 - August 13th, 2009, 7:23 am
    Post #69 - August 13th, 2009, 7:23 am Post #69 - August 13th, 2009, 7:23 am
    I've long been a fan, but have a new item I love - The small Greek Salad with Gyros and a pita on the side. It's a steal at $7 w/ tax. Refreshing, meaty and a generous portion. Very good feta and homemade dressing plus a side of tzasiki.
    Last edited by kafein on August 13th, 2009, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #70 - August 13th, 2009, 10:48 am
    Post #70 - August 13th, 2009, 10:48 am Post #70 - August 13th, 2009, 10:48 am
    Their Chilli-Mac is pretty darn tasty as well....
  • Post #71 - August 13th, 2009, 4:23 pm
    Post #71 - August 13th, 2009, 4:23 pm Post #71 - August 13th, 2009, 4:23 pm
    CND is a great old school place. No tourists.
  • Post #72 - August 13th, 2009, 8:59 pm
    Post #72 - August 13th, 2009, 8:59 pm Post #72 - August 13th, 2009, 8:59 pm
    Well I'm glad to hear that there are things to try there other than the Gyro melt. I really like the sandwich and I ride my bike there occasionally to get one for lunch. One day about a month or two ago, I rode there for lunch during a workday. I was moving particularly slowly that day and rode there needing to feed both myself and a crippling hangover. That Gyro melt was going to make good hangover food I knew, but I was also in the mood for something fried and doused in hot sauce, 'cause that's how I roll. So I ordered a Gyro melt and some buffalo wings. The gyro melt was fairly good, not the best I've had there but it satisfied.

I was disappointed when I saw the buffalo wings; they were standard frozen breaded food service wings, fried and sauced. But I wanted that hot sauce fix so I dug in. First wing, the meat was still ice cold down by the bone. I told them about it, they took the plate, and they brought it back having nuked the wings to mush in a microwave. Any texture that even those crappy wings might have had from the frying was completely destroyed.

I haven't been back, but I probably will for the sandwich. It at least is something unique and usually done well.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #73 - August 17th, 2010, 6:31 pm
    Post #73 - August 17th, 2010, 6:31 pm Post #73 - August 17th, 2010, 6:31 pm
    CND Gyros is closing down - this Saturday will be their last night after nearly 40 years. Best go get your last gyros melt fix before it's too late.

RIP CND Gyros & Lounge.
  • Post #74 - August 17th, 2010, 6:42 pm
    Post #74 - August 17th, 2010, 6:42 pm Post #74 - August 17th, 2010, 6:42 pm
    oh no...WHY???
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #75 - August 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm
    Post #75 - August 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm Post #75 - August 17th, 2010, 6:52 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:It has all the history, atmosphere, character and unique and good food to be a GNR but if consistency and quality is an issue...

I fell in love with CND at first blush, count me a fan!

Enjoy,
    Gary

I will miss this place. :( A true Chicago gem.

I am glad I was able to visit not too long ago with the downtown lunch group.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #76 - August 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm
    Post #76 - August 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm Post #76 - August 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm
    Puppy wrote:CND Gyros is closing down - this Saturday will be their last night after nearly 40 years. Best go get your last gyros melt fix before it's too late.

RIP CND Gyros & Lounge.

I am guessing it has something to do with the building and planned 2012 opening of the world's largest Ronald McDonald House at 211 E. Grand. I'll miss CND quite a bit, but RMDH charities are really wonderful and I'll be glad to have the House in the work 'hood.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #77 - August 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm
    Post #77 - August 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm Post #77 - August 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm
    Kennyz wrote: I'll miss CND quite a bit, but RMDH charities are really wonderful and I'll be glad to have the House in the work 'hood.

Ditto.

I'll miss the gyros and greek salads, but it's good to see RMDH opening up downtown and growing. I was curious what they'd do once Children's opens their new hospital.
  • Post #78 - August 17th, 2010, 8:51 pm
    Post #78 - August 17th, 2010, 8:51 pm Post #78 - August 17th, 2010, 8:51 pm
    Ralph Wiggum wrote:
    Kennyz wrote: I'll miss CND quite a bit, but RMDH charities are really wonderful and I'll be glad to have the House in the work 'hood.

Ditto.

I'll miss the gyros and greek salads, but it's good to see RMDH opening up downtown and growing. I was curious what they'd do once Children's opens their new hospital.

Is it ridiculous to hope that this new Ronald McDonald House will have a cafeteria that serves gyro melts? :D
  • Post #79 - August 18th, 2010, 8:09 am
    Post #79 - August 18th, 2010, 8:09 am Post #79 - August 18th, 2010, 8:09 am
    welp, guess I gotta get down there one last time at some point this week. I had problems with the place when I ordered menu items other than the gyros melt (and there's no longer any point in discussing them so I won't), but that gyros melt was pretty unbeatable.
    Ronnie said I should probably tell you guys about my website so

Hey I have a website.
    http://www.sandwichtribunal.com
  • Post #80 - August 18th, 2010, 11:28 am
    Post #80 - August 18th, 2010, 11:28 am Post #80 - August 18th, 2010, 11:28 am
    Looking forward to that one last Gyro Melt. So tasty. Gotta try it with egg.

I have some co-workers that are regulars. Apparently John the owner told them the owner of Volare next door bought the building and is planning to expand into that space. So it isn't Ronald McDonald's fault. Which is what I thought too.

Total bummer. Not many places, if any, to get some greasy grub and beer in that area.
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #81 - August 18th, 2010, 12:44 pm
    Post #81 - August 18th, 2010, 12:44 pm Post #81 - August 18th, 2010, 12:44 pm
    thepld wrote: Apparently John the owner told them the owner of Volare next door bought the building and is planning to expand into that space.

That is horrible news.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #82 - August 18th, 2010, 12:57 pm
    Post #82 - August 18th, 2010, 12:57 pm Post #82 - August 18th, 2010, 12:57 pm
    I couldn't agree more.

Such a shame.
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #83 - August 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm
    Post #83 - August 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm Post #83 - August 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm
    Puppy wrote:CND Gyros is closing down - this Saturday will be their last night after nearly 40 years. Best go get your last gyros melt fix before it's too late.

RIP CND Gyros & Lounge.

I'm so glad that I was able to go for the June Loop Lunch Group. Just when I thought I'd found a gem in the neighborhood <sigh>.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #84 - August 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm
    Post #84 - August 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm Post #84 - August 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm
    Friday night is the last karaoke show. I just talked to the raspy oh-so-Chicago voice of Kathy the bartender who told me the place will keep going until 2AM or so.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #85 - August 18th, 2010, 4:40 pm
    Post #85 - August 18th, 2010, 4:40 pm Post #85 - August 18th, 2010, 4:40 pm
    What a shame. This place has a real distinctive vibe, especially given its location.

Certainly, it doesn't provide even remotely the same vibe but Wilmette Chuck Wagon turns out an excellent and very similar sandwich to CND's Gryos Melt, known as The Waitress, which I've been enjoying for close to 30 years. Perhaps, after CND has closed its doors, this might scratch the itch for some of us.

=R=

Wilmette Chuck Wagon
    1120 Central Avenue
    Wilmette, IL 60091-2650
    (847) 256-0120
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #86 - August 18th, 2010, 5:20 pm
    Post #86 - August 18th, 2010, 5:20 pm Post #86 - August 18th, 2010, 5:20 pm
    I stop working on South Water and this is what happens!!!!! :shock:

Hoping to get out there for a last gyro melt Friday... I will miss this place.
  • Post #87 - August 20th, 2010, 1:35 am
    Post #87 - August 20th, 2010, 1:35 am Post #87 - August 20th, 2010, 1:35 am
    I stopped by around 6p today. I started off with a Melt with a fried egg on top and a couple High Life's. One Melt turned into two and a few High Lifes turned into a few more...Grabbed myself a t-shirt on the way out...after I got mine there were at least 10 other people that came in for a T themselves. Just for the record they are open til the wee hours on Sunday morning. Tomorrow (8/20) is the last karaoke night at the place.

RIP

One more melt,
    ya one more melt,
    We're gonna add an egg
    Oh yeah, alright
    Don't stop the dancin'
    One more melt,
    We're gonna add some processed cheese,
    Oh yeah, alright
    Don't stop the dancin'
    One more melt
    We're gonna add the onions
    Oh yeah, alright
    Don't stop the dancin'
    One more melt
    We're gonna throw on some tzatziki
    Oh yeah, alright
    One more time...yeah one last melt, were gonna celebrate...
  • Post #88 - August 20th, 2010, 9:34 am
    Post #88 - August 20th, 2010, 9:34 am Post #88 - August 20th, 2010, 9:34 am
    Da Beef wrote:One more melt,
    ya one more melt,
    We're gonna add an egg
    Oh yeah, alright
    Don't stop the dancin'
    One more melt,
    We're gonna add some processed cheese,
    Oh yeah, alright
    Don't stop the dancin'
    One more melt
    We're gonna add the onions
    Oh yeah, alright
    Don't stop the dancin'
    One more melt
    We're gonna throw on some tzatziki
    Oh yeah, alright
    One more time...yeah one last melt, were gonna celebrate...

I can smell the auto-tune from here. Lovely tribute.
  • Post #89 - August 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
    Post #89 - August 20th, 2010, 11:18 am Post #89 - August 20th, 2010, 11:18 am
    Da Beef, you had the last eggs at CND!!

just came back from lunch there, they ran out of eggs for Gyro Melt and the line was out the door when we left at 11:55am
    so don't walk, run to the place before it runs out of everything!!!

CND, we'll miss you
  • Post #90 - August 20th, 2010, 11:21 am
    Post #90 - August 20th, 2010, 11:21 am Post #90 - August 20th, 2010, 11:21 am
    agnesfong wrote:Da Beef, you had the last eggs at CND!!

just came back from lunch there, they ran out of eggs for Gyro Melt and the line was out the door when we left at 11:55am
    so don't walk, run to the place before it runs out of everything!!!

CND, we'll miss you

I saw that long line too, but by 12:10 there was actually no on in line at all. Don't be discouraged if you're still thinking about heading over.

My last CND meal was, believe it or not, a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon. Hell of a sandwich, it was. The grill guys were firing on all cylinders today. Friend had the wings, which he gets regularly, and declared them to be the best wings CND had ever prepared.

Fuckerberg on Food

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more