LTH Home

D'Candela (formerly La Granja)--Peruvian rotisserie + more

D'Candela (formerly La Granja)--Peruvian rotisserie + more
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - May 31st, 2014, 10:13 am
    Post #91 - May 31st, 2014, 10:13 am Post #91 - May 31st, 2014, 10:13 am
    EvA wrote:A new menu section of grilled items (a la parilla) was inserted in the main menu; we didn't try any of the dishes from it.

To anyone who has been, are the various potato dishes on the menu new also? (items such as ocopa & Papa a la Huancaina)

I ask as Peru is known for their potatoes yet posts in this thread are centered around papa rellena
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #92 - May 31st, 2014, 3:18 pm
    Post #92 - May 31st, 2014, 3:18 pm Post #92 - May 31st, 2014, 3:18 pm
    data point: hand lunch today (Saturday) at D'Candela, at 12:30 there was only 1 other table taken, at anytime during the 3 hours we were there, no more than a handful of tables were taken.

Two of us had:
    Ocopa
    Ceviche Mixto
    Whole chicken w/sides of maduros & fried yucca
    Seafood fried rice

I was surprised at how much I liked the mixed ceviche, talapia is not exactly high on my list of fish I want to dine on.

Ocopa consisted of perfectly cooked boiled potatoes w/a sauce on top that tasted to me like a mild peanut sauce. Very enjoyable.

Chicken was fresh off the grill, juicy as heck & packed full of seasoning. Skin was not crisp but didn't need to be IMO.

Seafood fried rice was amazing. Seeing as the seafood was so good, in the future, I'll get a whole chicken to go & dine at the restaurant on some other seafood dishes.
  • Post #93 - May 31st, 2014, 8:12 pm
    Post #93 - May 31st, 2014, 8:12 pm Post #93 - May 31st, 2014, 8:12 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    EvA wrote:A new menu section of grilled items (a la parilla) was inserted in the main menu; we didn't try any of the dishes from it.

To anyone who has been, are the various potato dishes on the menu new also? (items such as ocopa & Papa a la Huancaina)

I ask as Peru is known for their potatoes yet posts in this thread are centered around papa rellena

No, these dishes have been on the menu for some time.
  • Post #94 - June 1st, 2014, 4:08 pm
    Post #94 - June 1st, 2014, 4:08 pm Post #94 - June 1st, 2014, 4:08 pm
    Yep, had Papas a la Huancaina there years ago. It was fine, but I think that's just not a very exciting dish.
  • Post #95 - June 8th, 2014, 7:23 am
    Post #95 - June 8th, 2014, 7:23 am Post #95 - June 8th, 2014, 7:23 am
    Djew ever have sumpin taken away from you?

Know the feeling of- "I want it BACK"??!

Well- image the same reaction I had- when told that the wonderful homemade soup-
    that always accompanied the Chicken "order" (or any item for that matter) is no longer
    offered "gratis"?

That's right- the small bowl of "yumm"- is now an item that one may purchase for $3.50
    but no longer accompanies ones order.

Kinda sucks.
    :(

Another data point.....last few times we've eaten there- the "service" has been abysmal.
    With maybe ONE other table being filled- the waiters (used to be only female servers) were blatantly ignoring
    our table- busy either eating and watching soccer (footbal) or schmoozing amongst
    themselves.....
    I mean-
    do you want to get any gratuity? or are you happy to work for a dollar? Cause that's what I'll tip someone who can't /won't
    refill my water glass- or take my order- or buss my table.
    Jus sayin- :wink:
    anyone else noticed a change in the way this Restaurant is "managed" (or not)?
  • Post #96 - September 7th, 2014, 8:19 am
    Post #96 - September 7th, 2014, 8:19 am Post #96 - September 7th, 2014, 8:19 am
    Was here this past week, weekday night dinner, started at 7:30pm. Friend & I got there at 7pm, no one in restaurant except us & eventually our entire group of 8.

Cheese empanadas, veggie fried rice, papa la Huancaina (superior to ocopa I thought), 2 chickens cut into quarters, ceviche mixto. All was delicious. A REALLY nice addition this time was that someone ordered the salsa criolla as an additional topping for the chicken, salsa criolla consists of sliced onions in lime juice w/hot diced peppers.
  • Post #97 - September 6th, 2016, 6:33 pm
    Post #97 - September 6th, 2016, 6:33 pm Post #97 - September 6th, 2016, 6:33 pm
    Plump, perfect pollo, magnificent maduros and a heaping helping of rice here today. The chicken was smoky, moist and the skin was crispy. When we arrived, we were the only customers at lunchtime and there was only one solo diner when we departed. Here's a couple crappy cell phone photos to undersell the consistent product they put out:
    d'candela whole chicken 9.6.16.jpg
    d'candela maduros 9.6.16.jpg
    "And if you don't know, now you know." -BIG
  • Post #98 - September 7th, 2016, 8:47 am
    Post #98 - September 7th, 2016, 8:47 am Post #98 - September 7th, 2016, 8:47 am
    We went here recently after being on the list for at least a year. It was a fair distance away from us by public transport, but we haven't had good Peruvian in a long time. It was worth the trek. I don't have anything to add about the food. We had the already well praised chicken and a delicious chaufa. The prices seemed a little high until you see the portions. If I lived closer I could see stopping by more often.
  • Post #99 - December 15th, 2016, 8:17 am
    Post #99 - December 15th, 2016, 8:17 am Post #99 - December 15th, 2016, 8:17 am
    was at a dinner with 10 others this past Tuesday evening.

I noticed two things about the menu, ocopa is no longer on the menu and there is now a $3 corkage fee per bottle of alcohol or 6 pack of beer. (the corkage fee was not charge for our group despite a bottle of pisco, some craft beers and a 6 of Modelo)

We all really enjoyed a number of items:
    Empanadas - choice of cheese, chicken, or ground beef. We opted for some cheese & also some ground beef empanadas. Both were terrific, tasty flakey crust and savory filling, gound beef had a bit of hard boiled egg in it.

Papa Rellena - mashed potato stuffed with seasoned beef, onions, egg, olive and raisings. served with salsa criolla (onions in lime juice). Again delicious, the beef, onions, olives etc are packed in the center of a small football shaped scoop of mashed potato then quickly deep fried.

Anticuchos = 2 seasoned beef heart skewers. grilled, marinade included soy sauce so had a teriyaki like flavor in addition to the VERY beefy taste.

For our entrees:

Arroz Con Mariscos = seasoned rice cooked with seafood, green peas and peppers

Lomo Saltado = beef slices sautéed with onions and tomatoes. served with white rice and home cut french fries

Peruvian style rotisserie (charcoal grilled) chicken, served with sides of fried yucca and sweet plantain, chicken was very moist and full of flavor.

Lamb stew with beans = slowly simmered pieces of lamb served with beans and rice

All the above was delicious, only item that was a bit off was the seafood fried rice, flavors just didn't pop like the last time I had enjoyed it.
  • Post #100 - January 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm
    Post #100 - January 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm Post #100 - January 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm
    I had dinner here with a few friends on Friday night and it remains as wonderful as ever. In addition the awesome, juicy chicken, we had some tasty anticuchos, and a spectacular, large of bowl of Aguadito, which I'd never had before. It's only served there Friday-Sunday. There were some other great dishes, too. And their Aji salsa is as addictive as ever.

We also learned from our server that a move is imminent. The owner has purchased a building near Irving and Pulaski. We were told the move was scheduled to happen in about 3 months and that the new space is larger than the current one.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #101 - January 17th, 2017, 4:14 am
    Post #101 - January 17th, 2017, 4:14 am Post #101 - January 17th, 2017, 4:14 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:We also learned from our server that a move is imminent. The owner has purchased a building near Irving and Pulaski. We were told the move was scheduled to happen in about 3 months and that the new space is larger than the current one.

There goes shopping at Village Thrift followed by rotisserie chicken.
    On the other hand, perhaps a brisket/chicken two-fer with Smoque.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #102 - January 17th, 2017, 10:58 am
    Post #102 - January 17th, 2017, 10:58 am Post #102 - January 17th, 2017, 10:58 am
    Hmmm...hoping this won't impact the delivery zone--we order in weekly and this will push them another few blocks further away. Fingers crossed.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #103 - January 18th, 2017, 8:21 pm
    Post #103 - January 18th, 2017, 8:21 pm Post #103 - January 18th, 2017, 8:21 pm
    When we picked up chicken tonight, we asked about the move and were told Irving and Kimball (so not too far from the current location). So, hopefully not a big change in the delivery zone...
  • Post #104 - January 18th, 2017, 8:30 pm
    Post #104 - January 18th, 2017, 8:30 pm Post #104 - January 18th, 2017, 8:30 pm
    thaiobsessed wrote:When we picked up chicken tonight, we asked about the move and were told Irving and Kimball (so not too far from the current location). So, hopefully not a big change in the delivery zone...

I told my non-foodobsessed, LTH-ignorant hubs about the move when it was posted here and when I asked him what he wanted for dinner tonite, he responded, well since they're moving and we don't know if we'll still be in the delivery zone, let's get the "chicken place." We do matter lol.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #105 - December 19th, 2017, 9:52 am
    Post #105 - December 19th, 2017, 9:52 am Post #105 - December 19th, 2017, 9:52 am
    Did this move ever happen? I can't tell from website/Yelp, but it has been nearly a year since it was mentioned.
  • Post #106 - December 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm
    Post #106 - December 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm Post #106 - December 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm
    botd wrote:Did this move ever happen? I can't tell from website/Yelp, but it has been nearly a year since it was mentioned.

Not that I'm aware of and when I asked about it (last time I was in), it was as if it had never been mentioned in the first place.

=R=
  • Post #107 - December 24th, 2017, 9:25 am
    Post #107 - December 24th, 2017, 9:25 am Post #107 - December 24th, 2017, 9:25 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    botd wrote:Did this move ever happen? I can't tell from website/Yelp, but it has been nearly a year since it was mentioned.

Not that I'm aware of and when I asked about it (last time I was in), it was as if it had never been mentioned in the first place.

=R=

They're still alive and kicking on Kedzie. My wife and I had dinner there last night. Cau Cau for her. Pollo Saltado for me. Clean plate club for both. All is good in the world.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #108 - December 24th, 2017, 9:58 am
    Post #108 - December 24th, 2017, 9:58 am Post #108 - December 24th, 2017, 9:58 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

They're still alive and kicking on Kedzie. My wife and I had dinner there last night. Cau Cau for her. Pollo Saltado for me. Clean plate club for both. All is good in the world.

We order in the chicken at least a couple of times a month. My husband was NOT happy when I told him that the impending move might impact the delivery zone and he just asked me about it last month (the fact that he remembered this and cared is a testament to his love for that chicken!) I told him the same as the folks here—probably changed their mind or maybe a misunderstanding to begin with.
  • Post #109 - January 4th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Post #109 - January 4th, 2018, 12:27 pm Post #109 - January 4th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Made our first visit last night. Had the chicken (natch), arroz chaufa, empanadas, papa rellena, Maduras. Good stuff. Chicken was very good, not great, empanadas and maduras were terrific. Key point and reason for the post: Move is said to be at end of January, and they’re looking to open at 7am with breakfast at some point.
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #110 - January 5th, 2018, 3:22 pm
    Post #110 - January 5th, 2018, 3:22 pm Post #110 - January 5th, 2018, 3:22 pm
    Chicken and the arroz chaufa w/fried fish were excellent as always. Service was a bit lame, but hard to get angry w/food this cheap and delicious. They ended up comping the entree that came considerably late, and all was forgiven.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #111 - January 5th, 2018, 3:56 pm
    Post #111 - January 5th, 2018, 3:56 pm Post #111 - January 5th, 2018, 3:56 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Chicken and the arroz chaufa w/fried fish were excellent as always. Service was a bit lame, but hard to get angry w/food this cheap and delicious. They ended up comping the entree that came considerably late, and all was forgiven.

Your post reminded me that I'd neglected to post pictures of a typically great lunch I had there a few weeks ago . . .

Anticuchos

Beef Empanada

Chicken

Arroz Chaufa de Carne

The most fun part for me was that it was a work lunch and I was hosting 3 people who'd never been there or even heard about it before. They were quite pleased, bordering on astounded.

=R=
  • Post #112 - January 12th, 2018, 4:01 pm
    Post #112 - January 12th, 2018, 4:01 pm Post #112 - January 12th, 2018, 4:01 pm
    Had dinner last night here with 6 others.

Anticuchos were tasty as usual but overcooked

Beef Empanada and Cheese Empanada were on point, terrific

Palta Rellena was good & refreshing

Arroz Chaufa de Mariscos again just hasn't hit the spot for me, time to try a different rice dish

Chicken was out of sight, awesome. I've suffered the lunchtime leftover chicken and this certainly wasn't it.
    I find an order of Salsa Criolla (onions in lime juice) to be a must order, really enjoy this.

Service was excellent, brought out a big pitcher & ice for our self made "cheating" version of a pisco sour, even offered to whip up some egg whites for our pisco sours!!
  • Post #113 - April 20th, 2018, 8:13 am
    Post #113 - April 20th, 2018, 8:13 am Post #113 - April 20th, 2018, 8:13 am
    It's always fun to introduce friends to places you love. We took another couple to D'Candela last week, and everything we had was at its best: beef empanadas, papa rellena, mixed ceviche, and, of course, chicken with double order of maduros. Our friends were blown away by how good the food was. Despite a huuuge party filling in right next to us towards the end of our visit, the service was excellent--food brought out at an appropriate pace, beer glasses provided for our byob, etc. There are some restaurants you wish would change up their menus a bit, but somehow with D'Candela, the old dishes just continue to please.
  • Post #114 - July 20th, 2018, 8:19 am
    Post #114 - July 20th, 2018, 8:19 am Post #114 - July 20th, 2018, 8:19 am

I saw signage for D'Candela while driving by a building near Kimball on the south side of Irving earlier today. I noticed it too late to get a good look exactly where it is, but you would not miss it if you were driving by and looking for it.

I guess I'll soon need to walk a bit further to get my rotisserie chicken, aji, and arroz con mariscos fix.
  • Post #115 - July 31st, 2018, 8:43 pm
    Post #115 - July 31st, 2018, 8:43 pm Post #115 - July 31st, 2018, 8:43 pm
    eieileen wrote:

I saw signage for D'Candela while driving by a building near Kimball on the south side of Irving earlier today. I noticed it too late to get a good look exactly where it is, but you would not miss it if you were driving by and looking for it.

I saw the signage up today. Windows were papered up and a truck was parked in front.
  • Post #116 - October 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm
    Post #116 - October 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm Post #116 - October 5th, 2018, 4:45 pm
    Move seems to be closer. Two signs in the windows of the Kedzie location: We are moving to 3447-49 W Irving Oct. TBD, 2018. Windows in new location are still papered over as of this afternoon.
  • Post #117 - October 6th, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Post #117 - October 6th, 2018, 1:36 pm Post #117 - October 6th, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Not much to see yet but I happened to be in the neighborhood earlier today . . .

D'Candela, pre-opening, 18.1006

=R=

D'Candela
    3447-3449 W Irving Park Road
    Chicago, IL 60618
  • Post #118 - November 9th, 2018, 9:54 am
    Post #118 - November 9th, 2018, 9:54 am Post #118 - November 9th, 2018, 9:54 am
    Had a great Lunch Special w/ Uncle Burt , yesterday.
    Chicken was moist as ever :D - very flavorful- I woulda preferred a crispier
    skin, :roll: the salad was flavorful and The Yucca Fritta- with a side :wink: of Onion Criolla- was perfectly crisply-fried.

The waiter informed us - City Licensing Regulations/Inspectors are behind the delayed Opening of their new Restaurant on Irving @ Kimball.
    The City of Chicago Inspectors wanted the Exhaust Hoods spaced at least 5 feet from each other-
    so if one caught fire, the flames wouldn't immediately create a (x2) fire.

Also the Inspector wanted a Dishwasher-Drier-vented differently than they'd built it.

I know about "The Task Force"- and how critical that Team of Inspectors
    from a variety of City-of-Chicago-Business Bureaucracies can stall an Entrepreneurs Hope & Dreams from making money, after months and months of money going OUT- but Nada coming IN.

They are now shooting for an opening around the 19th of November-
    just before Thanksgiving- so get your calendars adjusted and marked.

One data point......recently met a very charming Peruvian-born/bred Pharmacist at a Walgreens- who, when asked about "his" personal favorites for Peruvian Cooking in Chicago- raved about their Chicken, and place D'Candela atop
    Riconcito Sudamericano and The Taste of Peru on N. Clark
    (.....didn't get to the place on Elston Ave. in our brief chat)
  • Post #119 - November 23rd, 2018, 5:13 pm
    Post #119 - November 23rd, 2018, 5:13 pm Post #119 - November 23rd, 2018, 5:13 pm
    Sign in window of Kedzie location now says moving December 4.
  • Post #120 - December 5th, 2018, 9:15 pm
    Post #120 - December 5th, 2018, 9:15 pm Post #120 - December 5th, 2018, 9:15 pm
    Now open at 3447-49 W. Irving Park Road.

Parking will be an issue at this location as the north-south streets at either end of the block are 24-hour resident parking only and there are not many metered spaces on their block.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more