LTH Home

D'Candela (formerly La Granja)--Peruvian rotisserie + more

D'Candela (formerly La Granja)--Peruvian rotisserie + more
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - April 1st, 2011, 12:11 pm
    Post #61 - April 1st, 2011, 12:11 pm Post #61 - April 1st, 2011, 12:11 pm
    A quick queston; Is the chicken amenable to a fairly quick meal? Or should I keep this in mind for a less time constrained occaision? I'm thinking of arriving before 6PM if that helps.
  • Post #62 - April 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm
    Post #62 - April 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm Post #62 - April 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm
    A quick queston; Is the chicken amenable to a fairly quick meal? Or should I keep this in mind for a less time constrained occaision? I'm thinking of arriving before 6PM if that helps.

I often stop by around 6pm on my way home from work for takeout. The place is generally empty and I receive my chicken in 5-10 minutes. I'm sure you can get in and out in less than 30 minutes around that time.
  • Post #63 - April 19th, 2011, 12:27 pm
    Post #63 - April 19th, 2011, 12:27 pm Post #63 - April 19th, 2011, 12:27 pm
    mcg wrote:I often stop by around 6pm on my way home from work for takeout. The place is generally empty and I receive my chicken in 5-10 minutes. I'm sure you can get in and out in less than 30 minutes around that time.

Thanks for the response. It worked out well. The restaurant was pretty much empty when we got there. The food was very good. The green table salsa was quite good. Though it packed enough heat that I really couldn't taste much of the other salsa. We had the Papa Rellenos and chicken. IIRC you can get a quarter or half a chicken which is nice if you wish to avoid a food coma. The new room is pretty nice.
  • Post #64 - April 19th, 2011, 3:57 pm
    Post #64 - April 19th, 2011, 3:57 pm Post #64 - April 19th, 2011, 3:57 pm
    Has anyone been to these other peruvian restaurants and can offer a comparison?

Taste of Peru
    6545 North Clark Street
    Chicago, IL 60626
    (773) 381-4540

Machu Picchu
    3856 North Ashland Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60613
    (773) 472-0471

These restaurants are much closer to me and favorites of mine for different items (Taste of Peru for saltado, jalea, empanadas + Machu Picchu for any kind of beef dish, antichucos and papa rellena). Also these places are pretty cheap, I usually get out with a bill of 20$ or less per person, what's this place's price range?
  • Post #65 - April 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm
    Post #65 - April 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm Post #65 - April 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm
    I'm a fan of both, but if you want chicken, D'Candela is definitely the place to go.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #66 - April 19th, 2011, 4:47 pm
    Post #66 - April 19th, 2011, 4:47 pm Post #66 - April 19th, 2011, 4:47 pm
    Habibi wrote:I'm a fan of both, but if you want chicken, D'Candela is definitely the place to go.

I agree with this 100%.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #67 - April 27th, 2011, 10:23 pm
    Post #67 - April 27th, 2011, 10:23 pm Post #67 - April 27th, 2011, 10:23 pm
    Friends and I had a really nice, extremely filling dinner in the new room tonight. The three of us inhaled two tamales, an order of anticuchos, a whole chicken, yucca and, after declaring the side of maduros the perfect dessert, we ordered all three actual desserts on the menu.

The flan was too cold for me to appreciate, but the rice pudding with heavy cinnamon and raisins made me very happy. One friend would not share the giant alfajor; she liked it that much. The new room (and two dozen alfajores) seems like it would make the perfect setting for a birthday party.

We ate so much that one friend, who's due to have a baby in August, experienced pregnancy indigestion for the first time tonight. After D'Candela, we hit the Walgreens at Irving Park and Kedzie for Tums. "Of course this would happen at a meal with Sharon," they said (with affection, I'd like to think). Moment of kind of twisted pride for me.

Then we dropped off pregnant friend and enjoyed a few cocktails at Leopold on the way home. Even with indigestion, not a bad night at all.
  • Post #68 - April 29th, 2011, 12:56 pm
    Post #68 - April 29th, 2011, 12:56 pm Post #68 - April 29th, 2011, 12:56 pm
    Had another very good weeknight dinner last night at a nearly empty D'Candela. We had the whole of the new room to ourselves. It was our first time in the new room, and we really liked the space. The three of us enjoyed empanadas and the papa rellena (how do they get the potato so wonderfully light, even fluffy, but still tasting like real potato?) plus a whole chicken with maduros and fries. Despite H_S's praise of the desserts in the back of my mind, we were too full to have any. D'Candela definitely fits in that category of places that I would not have found without LTH, so thanks, LTHForum, again!
  • Post #69 - April 29th, 2011, 1:05 pm
    Post #69 - April 29th, 2011, 1:05 pm Post #69 - April 29th, 2011, 1:05 pm
    EvA wrote:Had another very good weeknight dinner last night at a nearly empty D'Candela. We had the whole of the new room to ourselves. It was our first time in the new room, and we really liked the space. The three of us enjoyed empanadas and the papa rellena (how do they get the potato so wonderfully light, even fluffy, but still tasting like real potato?) plus a whole chicken with maduros and fries. Despite H_S's praise of the desserts in the back of my mind, we were too full to have any. D'Candela definitely fits in that category of places that I would not have found without LTH, so thanks, LTHForum, again!

We had the whole place (including the original room) to ourselves on Wednesday, too. Again, it seems the perfect setting for a family gathering or party. Parking is easy, and it's a straight shot on bike given the Kedzie bike lane.
  • Post #70 - April 29th, 2011, 1:13 pm
    Post #70 - April 29th, 2011, 1:13 pm Post #70 - April 29th, 2011, 1:13 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:
    EvA wrote:Had another very good weeknight dinner last night at a nearly empty D'Candela. We had the whole of the new room to ourselves. It was our first time in the new room, and we really liked the space. The three of us enjoyed empanadas and the papa rellena (how do they get the potato so wonderfully light, even fluffy, but still tasting like real potato?) plus a whole chicken with maduros and fries. Despite H_S's praise of the desserts in the back of my mind, we were too full to have any. D'Candela definitely fits in that category of places that I would not have found without LTH, so thanks, LTHForum, again!

We had the whole place (including the original room) to ourselves on Wednesday, too. Again, it seems the perfect setting for a family gathering or party. Parking is easy, and it's a straight shot on bike given the Kedzie bike lane.

I agree. Good parking, great food, cheap. What's not to like? I hope that the restaurant is doing well. We have been there when it's crowded (I think a weekend night, maybe Sunday?), and they were doing a bit of take-out biz last night, but otherwise we were the only customers in the restaurant last night.
  • Post #71 - April 29th, 2011, 1:19 pm
    Post #71 - April 29th, 2011, 1:19 pm Post #71 - April 29th, 2011, 1:19 pm
    To further entice visitors, there's a surprisingly decent beer list including one rotating hand pump tap across the street at Brisku's Bistro. Friendly owner and staff, Brisku's is a nice place for for a post D-Candela nightcap.

EvA wrote:the papa rellena (how do they get the potato so wonderfully light, even fluffy, but still tasting like real potato?)

As described to me, it sounds a lot like the process for making great gnocchi: use a ricer rather than a masher or a machine, use just barely enough egg to form a dough, and don't overwork it. D'Candela does an exceptional job, for sure.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #72 - May 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm
    Post #72 - May 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm Post #72 - May 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm
    I was lucky to share a table with other LTHers at D'Candela yesterday; they are open on Mondays now (contrary to Google). While they were out of plantains (!), everything else was plentiful and delicious. The chicken actually did feature crackly skin this time. The piping hot interior was moist and flavor-infused, and of course the exterior tasted like its customary schmaltz-slicked charred chorizo and magic rainbows.

My other favorite was the fish fried rice - I could eat a platter of that, with its toasted sesame dimension and ribbons of puffy-crisp fried egg. The jalea, Peruvian Spanish for "fry the crap out of everything," was nicely done and offset by their fresh-pickled onions, and all of the beef filling preparations were savory and mineral-y, the heart surprisingly least so, being tender and steaky. I may also have to add the chicken soup to my regular regimen. Bravo, D'Candela.
  • Post #73 - May 10th, 2011, 1:34 pm
    Post #73 - May 10th, 2011, 1:34 pm Post #73 - May 10th, 2011, 1:34 pm
    Santander wrote:The chicken actually did feature crackly skin this time.

This was the first time I'd ever had crispy skin at D'Candela, and it was terrific. Best version I've had there.
  • Post #74 - May 19th, 2011, 9:27 pm
    Post #74 - May 19th, 2011, 9:27 pm Post #74 - May 19th, 2011, 9:27 pm
    turkob wrote:
    Santander wrote:The chicken actually did feature crackly skin this time.

This was the first time I'd ever had crispy skin at D'Candela, and it was terrific. Best version I've had there.

I enjoyed that meal very much and forgot that I'd never posted this picture . . .

Luis accepting D'Candela's GNR Award from turkob on May 9, 2011

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #75 - June 14th, 2011, 9:03 pm
    Post #75 - June 14th, 2011, 9:03 pm Post #75 - June 14th, 2011, 9:03 pm
    Finally made it out to this place tonight, the rotisserie is fantastic. Skin was crispy and flavorful, while the meat was super moist and tender. I couldn't believe how much food I got for 8.99. My girl and I made it out with dessert for just above 30$ w/ tax and tip, and she stil has leftover lomo saltado. Will be back for sure
  • Post #76 - June 23rd, 2011, 3:36 pm
    Post #76 - June 23rd, 2011, 3:36 pm Post #76 - June 23rd, 2011, 3:36 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:Friends and I had a really nice, extremely filling dinner in the new room tonight. The three of us inhaled two tamales, an order of anticuchos, a whole chicken, yucca and, after declaring the side of maduros the perfect dessert, we ordered all three actual desserts on the menu.

The flan was too cold for me to appreciate, but the rice pudding with heavy cinnamon and raisins made me very happy. One friend would not share the giant alfajor; she liked it that much. The new room (and two dozen alfajores) seems like it would make the perfect setting for a birthday party.

We ate so much that one friend, who's due to have a baby in August, experienced pregnancy indigestion for the first time tonight. After D'Candela, we hit the Walgreens at Irving Park and Kedzie for Tums. "Of course this would happen at a meal with Sharon," they said (with affection, I'd like to think). Moment of kind of twisted pride for me.

Then we dropped off pregnant friend and enjoyed a few cocktails at Leopold on the way home. Even with indigestion, not a bad night at all.

i enjoyed the rice pudding,chicken ws outstanding.
    maduros-fried plantains where wunderful.
    also seafood fried rice,was great
    &using lump charcoal
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #77 - June 25th, 2011, 8:31 am
    Post #77 - June 25th, 2011, 8:31 am Post #77 - June 25th, 2011, 8:31 am
    Santander wrote:My other favorite was the fish fried rice - I could eat a platter of that, with its toasted sesame dimension and ribbons of puffy-crisp fried egg.
    Got it mostly right, remembered seafood fried rice instead of fish. Same puffy egg, abundance of squid rings/legs, scattered shrimp, brace of mussels and clams and plenty of bright crunchy scallion. Surprisingly large portion, one of those dishes that don't seem to diminish no matter how much you eat, we were happy we opted for 1/2 chicken instead of whole.

Peruvian Seafood Fried Rice

Though the chicken was moist, flavorful and all around better than 97.3% of that served in Chicagoland I am guessing it was held over from previous day. It was just noon and chef was starting the fire in the charcoal fired rotisserie. Not knocking our lunch chicken, but there is a liveliness with fresh from the fire chicken, spurting juices, crackly skin, that rewarmed will never achieve.

Half Chicken, fries, maduro

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #78 - July 8th, 2011, 6:13 am
    Post #78 - July 8th, 2011, 6:13 am Post #78 - July 8th, 2011, 6:13 am
    A tale of two visits: On the 2nd page of this thread, I detailed my first visit to D'Candela and explained how I just didn't understand the love for their chicken . . . the spices were layered on thick, in clumps at times, and really detracted from a perfectly cooked and moist bird. Well, last night was my second visit and I can now say: I GET IT!

Papa rellena as good as the first time, excellent empanada (well, filling was great but I prefer it fried for a crispier crust), great sauces, but the chicken really hit the mark. It's interesting how some have described the crust as crisp, others say not crisp at all. First time I had the chicken the crust was not at all crisp - even a big gummy. Last night, beautifully crisp and brittle, and the chicken was perfectly seasoned (no clumps, not too aggressively seasoned) and amazingly moist.

I must have hit them before on a night when the chicken was just off . . . that's the only way I can understand the number of glowing posts, and my experience last night when the chicken was fantastic. Let me add that my friend's chicken in walnut sauce was also excellent - just watch out for small bones . . . not a huge deal.

But last night's dinner was just so good that D'Candela will becoming a slightly more regular hit on my list.
  • Post #79 - July 8th, 2011, 8:09 am
    Post #79 - July 8th, 2011, 8:09 am Post #79 - July 8th, 2011, 8:09 am
    In think that a lot of people miss out on some of the other excellent offerings at D'Candela becauser of the focus on the chicken. i have found so many interesting things on the menu there from the Palta Rellena, a maynaisy chicken salad served in a half avocado , the ceviche mixto, to the pescado macho, a wonderful deep fried fish filet topped with a somewat spicy sauce, mussels, shrimp and calamari.
  • Post #80 - July 8th, 2011, 8:14 am
    Post #80 - July 8th, 2011, 8:14 am Post #80 - July 8th, 2011, 8:14 am
    I agree with Gary and believe the difference in the chickens you've eaten there has more to do with their holding or reheat methods compared to fresh off the coals. You can't blame them for not wanting to waste food, but apparently they shouldn't use it for the same dish as it's noticeably compromised. For instance it would be fine skinned and deboned for croquettes, just not served again as a 1/2 bird. You need an outlet for the product though and that's generally a back of the house call. How you make that call is the difference between consistent food and happy customers or not.

This is but one dilemma of all restauranteurs, particularly smaller ones without steady trackable business. Staffing and then training is another ongoing battle. A place like Next (a brilliant business model for many reasons) eliminates the guess work that destroys lesser places when not done correctly. But that is rarified air and very few could command that model (which is more like catering) on a regular basis. If I know I have 150 covers of a set menu prepaid (gotta love it) the waste that can help destroy the small margins of a restaurant is virtually nonexistent.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #81 - April 1st, 2012, 11:43 am
    Post #81 - April 1st, 2012, 11:43 am Post #81 - April 1st, 2012, 11:43 am
    We visited for the first time last night. At 6:00 on a Saturday, only two other tables were taken. When we left around 6:30, only one other table was taken. There were quite a few "to go" orders being prepared. Perhaps we were just early for a south american place, but I hope this place is thriving.

The food was as good as everyone has said. I'd only two two items that haven't gotten much comment:

Cancha (I think this was the name): these fried and salted corn kernals (like corn nuts) taste like popcorn but nuttier, crunchier, and all around better. Bars should serve these.
    Alfahor: One of the better versions we've had.
  • Post #82 - April 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm
    Post #82 - April 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm Post #82 - April 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm
    Jonah wrote:We visited for the first time last night. At 6:00 on a Saturday, only two other tables were taken. When we left around 6:30, only one other table was taken. There were quite a few "to go" orders being prepared. Perhaps we were just early for a south american place, but I hope this place is thriving.

I have been driving past D"Candela for years and I see it occupied more times than not but not completely full. Usually this is during the day, maybe at night it is a different story. My stepdaughter has been here and she raved about the flavorful chicken. It's on my list to try out but my husband is not a big fan of rotisserie chicken so it will take some arm twisting but one of these days I hope to check it out.
  • Post #83 - April 1st, 2012, 2:05 pm
    Post #83 - April 1st, 2012, 2:05 pm Post #83 - April 1st, 2012, 2:05 pm
    Remember also that they now have the storefront next door, too, so the original space is much less likely to be full of people. They seem to prefer putting people in the new room.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #84 - April 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm
    Post #84 - April 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm Post #84 - April 1st, 2012, 4:51 pm
    KajmacJohnson wrote:
    Jonah wrote:We visited for the first time last night. At 6:00 on a Saturday, only two other tables were taken. When we left around 6:30, only one other table was taken. There were quite a few "to go" orders being prepared. Perhaps we were just early for a south american place, but I hope this place is thriving.

I have been driving past D"Candela for years and I see it occupied more times than not but not completely full. Usually this is during the day, maybe at night it is a different story. My stepdaughter has been here and she raved about the flavorful chicken. It's on my list to try out but my husband is not a big fan of rotisserie chicken so it will take some arm twisting but one of these days I hope to check it out.

They have a large menu with several dishes noted above that are definitely as worthwhile as the chicken. I'd be surprised if he couldn't find something.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #85 - April 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm
    Post #85 - April 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm Post #85 - April 1st, 2012, 6:44 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:They have a large menu with several dishes noted above that are definitely as worthwhile as the chicken. I'd be surprised if he couldn't find something.

My stepdaughter did mention this but I still have to conduct some arm twisting. When I brought it up some months back he still wasn't interested. I don't know but it could also be because he has tried other Peruvian restaurants that he did not care for and that may be clouding his judgement as well.
  • Post #86 - January 12th, 2013, 11:33 am
    Post #86 - January 12th, 2013, 11:33 am Post #86 - January 12th, 2013, 11:33 am
    Another excellent dinner at D'Candela last night with our son, who loves the place. The chicken was perfect--freshly cooked, hot, juicy, flavorful, and it had the elusive crispy skin. The chicken soup had deep chicken and herb flavor, and they aren't afraid of leaving some fat in there. Just delicious. We can't stay away from our favorites, so it's hard to try new dishes. Had our beloved papa rellena but also tried the shrimp fried rice, which was tasty. Good ginger flavor and well-cooked, decent-sized shrimp.

Service was good, and D'Candela can be slow sometimes, so we appreciated that. The place was perhaps a third full on a Friday night between 7 and 8.

Every time we go, I wonder why we don't go more often.
  • Post #87 - June 14th, 2013, 7:45 pm
    Post #87 - June 14th, 2013, 7:45 pm Post #87 - June 14th, 2013, 7:45 pm
    A few changes at D’Candela we noticed tonight. We hadn't been in a few months. New servers (men, not women) in black were slightly, but only slightly, more efficient than the old ones. A new menu section of grilled items (a la parilla) was inserted in the main menu; we didn't try any of the dishes from it.

The good news: chicken, aji, and maduros are all still excellent. Papa rellena is still very good but smaller.

The not-so-good news: the empanadas were not only smaller but less flaky, and I found the stuffing less flavorful.

Worst of all, the gratis delicious chicken soup seems to have been replaced by boring soft bread served warm with little packets of butter. This is a sad substitution. To be fair, we didn't ask about the soup, so it may still be available, although I didn't see any other party having it either.
  • Post #88 - June 15th, 2013, 10:28 am
    Post #88 - June 15th, 2013, 10:28 am Post #88 - June 15th, 2013, 10:28 am
    They still serve the "complimentary" Chicken Soup (which I find so savory and comforting- almost
    as good as Momma's Matzoh Ball Soup!)- but,
    what I do find "odd" is how they price a separate cup of that soup.
    Often my Dining partner and I will order a plate of Chicken w/ 2 sides to share-
    but since that only "comes" with ONE cup of soup- I will order a 2nd cup.
    But when we saw a $3.50 charge for that ONE CUP OF SOUP-
    we decided it best NOT
    to replay that sequence of events.

Still a great place for getting your Peruvian Salsa fix on- man- that one salsa I can eat like "butter"!
    AND their Grilled Chicken and their Antichucos(skewered/marinated Grilled Beef Heart , Aji de Gallina (Chicken w/ a Walnut Cream Sauce)
    and other dishes are so well made.
    Always in our "rotation" of go to places!
    :D
  • Post #89 - April 13th, 2014, 3:55 pm
    Post #89 - April 13th, 2014, 3:55 pm Post #89 - April 13th, 2014, 3:55 pm
    Has anyone tried the parihuela? If so, what's the verdict?
  • Post #90 - April 16th, 2014, 4:05 pm
    Post #90 - April 16th, 2014, 4:05 pm Post #90 - April 16th, 2014, 4:05 pm
    Yes.

meh...
    :|
    This dish- when done "right"- is one of the gal pals FAVORITE!
    usta get a tasty rendition @ the now closed place on Western near Lazo's Taco's.
    (till they served us one w/ rank-amonia-smelling crab claw-yecchhhh!- & never again-our
    "curse" remained on that place..... :wink: )

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more