LTH Home

D'Candela (formerly La Granja)--Peruvian rotisserie + more

D'Candela (formerly La Granja)--Peruvian rotisserie + more
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - December 6th, 2018, 12:14 pm
    Post #121 - December 6th, 2018, 12:14 pm Post #121 - December 6th, 2018, 12:14 pm
    ekreider wrote:Now open at 3447-49 W. Irving Park Road.

Parking will be an issue at this location as the north-south streets at either end of the block are 24-hour resident parking only and there are not many metered spaces on their block.

I'd wondered about parking at the new location for the very reasons you mention. It was always easy on Kedzie, even more so because it's a smaller, less busy street than Irving Park. I do order delivery fairly often but I also liked that driving to the restaurant was relatively easy when they were on Kedzie. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #122 - December 10th, 2018, 11:01 am
    Post #122 - December 10th, 2018, 11:01 am Post #122 - December 10th, 2018, 11:01 am
    FWIW, our group of four thoroughly enjoyed our meal here this past Saturday night at the new location on Irving Park Road. I got some side eye looks when we pulled up to the new store front(s) and literally there was one person inside at 7 PM, but the chicken was stellar, laquered brown with a great depth of flavor. Beef fried rice and even a sirloin steak ordered (huge portion, almost ridiculous in fact) were just fantastic and we left more than stuffed with plenty of leftovers for less than $60. BYOB remains and now both "sides" of the rooms are the same, a little sparse probably due to just having moved the Tuesday before we were there but nonetheless, still a destination. Parking also proved quite easy.
  • Post #123 - December 10th, 2018, 2:11 pm
    Post #123 - December 10th, 2018, 2:11 pm Post #123 - December 10th, 2018, 2:11 pm
    Live walking distance and didn't even know it was there. Definitely gonna give it a try very soon.

FYI, parking should be very easy in this area. Not heavily congested and lots of available street parking on Irving.
  • Post #124 - December 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm
    Post #124 - December 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm Post #124 - December 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm
    We just visited the new location on Irving Park. It's a big improvement. Still a 2-part dining area, but both sides are well appointed and comfortable, and the total space is bigger. Food has not suffered from the move: empanadas were flaky and delicious, rotisserie chicken was the usual tasty skin and moist bird, and aji de gallina was good as always (although it could have been warmer).

The new digs allow us to bring a few friends who are a bit fussier about atmosphere (sigh) to experience D'Candela. I wish the owners all the best and am looking forward to a return trip!
  • Post #125 - August 22nd, 2020, 12:16 pm
    Post #125 - August 22nd, 2020, 12:16 pm Post #125 - August 22nd, 2020, 12:16 pm
    First visit since The COVID19 outbreak.
    They do not have outdoor dining on their sidewalk (or back Patio).
    They are serving folks
    inside their 2-room Restaurant-socially-distanced though.

We ordered a 1/2 Chicken to go recently (with sides of Yucca & Sweet Plaintains - seems that Starches compliment the flavor of the marinated & CharRoasted bird quite well.)
    I also- asked for them to fill
    a Small sized Tupperware-esque Container I brought along-
    with their amazing Salsa Verde (Green Sauce) which I adore. :D
    They gladly accommodated that ask :D - and also
    shared with me-their "secret" recipe, not in full detail of
    the precise ratio of Garlic to Jalapeños to Olive oil to the special salt from Peru
    .....but with enough of a head start to try my own at home.

Also- there's a Chicago-based-brand (AZ Foods) of a
    Jalapeño Hot Sauce- I find at Cermack Produce and at Pete's Fresh Market-
    that's a very close approximation to
    D'Candela's amazing Green Sauce.
  • Post #126 - September 14th, 2021, 9:42 am
    Post #126 - September 14th, 2021, 9:42 am Post #126 - September 14th, 2021, 9:42 am
    Hard to believe there have not been any posts about D'Candela in over a year as even during COVID, their food has been great, even done as carryout. We have been a couple of times recently and sat inside, with masking by staff and guests while not eating. We always order at least 1/2 chicken and especially love the arroz chaufa de carne, (beef fried rice) which is the best fried rice we have ever eaten. Not sure what it is that makes it so great, whether the oil used or spices within but it is crave worthy, made even better topped with some of their fantastic green sauce and pickled onions (salsa criolla). We have introduced a lot of friends to this place and enjoy going with larger groups so we can explore more of the menu, all of which has been excellent.

Just hoping to put this fine establishment back on the radar as its one place in the city we would hate to see go away.
  • Post #127 - September 14th, 2021, 11:09 am
    Post #127 - September 14th, 2021, 11:09 am Post #127 - September 14th, 2021, 11:09 am
    smokinjoe wrote:especially love the arroz chaufa de carne, (beef fried rice) which is the best fried rice we have ever eaten. Not sure what it is that makes it so great, whether the oil used or spices within but it is crave worthy, made even better topped with some of their fantastic green sauce and pickled onions (salsa criolla).

Their chaufa de pescado is one of my fave fried rice dishes dressed similarly.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #128 - September 21st, 2021, 10:10 pm
    Post #128 - September 21st, 2021, 10:10 pm Post #128 - September 21st, 2021, 10:10 pm
    smokinjoe wrote: Hard to believe there have not been any posts about D'Candela in over a year as even during COVID, their food has been great, even done as carryout. We have been a couple of times recently and sat inside, with masking by staff and guests while not eating.
    Well, somebody who used to post here now mostly does it over on the FlyerTalk forum.
    There were a bunch of us there, including me. The images I took are linked from there. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more