LTH Home

Fried Shrimp Joints

Fried Shrimp Joints
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - January 30th, 2014, 6:03 pm
    Post #121 - January 30th, 2014, 6:03 pm Post #121 - January 30th, 2014, 6:03 pm
    I grew up just a few miles from Johnson's Door County Fish in Lombard.
    It's been a favorite since forever.
    Good to see they're still going strong!
  • Post #122 - February 28th, 2014, 1:54 pm
    Post #122 - February 28th, 2014, 1:54 pm Post #122 - February 28th, 2014, 1:54 pm
    metro man wrote:Getting back to favorite shrimp joints you must try Korner Shrimp House in Garfield Ridge. Great butterflied fried shrimp and other seafood. My favorite other than the shrimp is the walleye. Good homemade macaroni and kidney bean salads. I know they have been there for quite a while, not as long as Troha's, but over 35 years at least.

Korner Shrimp House
    6525 W Archer
    Chicago, IL. 60638

Tried 3 things at Korner Shrimp House today for lunch.

Jumbo shrimp, oysters, apple fritters

as metro man mentions the shrimp are butterflied, personally in our opinion that led to too much breading. The shrimp were also devoid of most any shrimp flavor.

Oysters were ok, again very heavy on the breading.

Apple Fritters were essentially DENSE 2.5" dough balls w/some powdered sugar. We could not find any apple bits or apple flavoring. These are not a fine bakery version of an apple fritter.

My friend & I were not pleased with the items we got from Korner Shrimp House today.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #123 - April 2nd, 2014, 8:30 am
    Post #123 - April 2nd, 2014, 8:30 am Post #123 - April 2nd, 2014, 8:30 am
    I had a fried shrimp crave to feed recently, come along:

Captain B's SHrimp House
    5641 W. Roosevelt
    Cicero

http://www.captainbsshrimp.com/

These were some hefty shrimps, and also tasty, a top 5 spot of the ones I visited. Plus they had the orange Hienies sauce..

Johnsons Door County Fish & Shrimp
    908 E. Roosevelt Rd.
    Lombard, IL.

http://www.smpinfo.info/examsites/johns ... shrimp.htm

Johnson's in Lombard is my go to spot for shrimps. Wednesdays you can get a shrimp plate for $6 or the dinner for $8. Other days Ill order their lightly breaded which are top notch. Another top 5 spot, and a place youll find me almost every wednesday.

Franks Chicago Shrimp House
    6539 W. 79th Street
    Burbank, IL.

http://frankschicagoshrimp.com/

Franks, another regular spot for me and often the front end of a one-two punch with the 2nd half being a Peppos Sub... Good shrimps here, nice folks running the spot, like that you can order them by the 1/4 lb. Heavy breading and the Chicago style have some nice spice.

The Shrimp Shack
    6601 W. Archer
    Chicago, IL.

http://www.shrimpshack.info/#home

Promising - Hienies sauce on hand..:

reverse dip method I employ - tail first:

Shrimp Shack was good, liked the garlic bread touch, also liked they had Hienies hot sauce. Shrimp were cooked well, nice breading, etc, but compared to the next joint the shrimp didnt taste of the gulf.

Wagners Seafood
    9626 S. Pulaski
    Oak Lawn, IL.

708-636-2646

Wagners, a wild card, ended up being one of the best tasting shrimps of my search. Fish counter place where you can order up what you want to take home or have it fried up. Gonna be heading back here often.

Franks Shrimp and Chicken
    19109 Wolf Road
    Mokena, IL.

708-479-7775

Franks - not related to the Chicago/Burbank Franks, was pretty good, I dont know about the butterflying of the shrimp, huge shrimps, but I prefer them whole. Really friendly family run spot, Another spot I will be back to.

Shwings SHrimp and Hot Wings
    1743 N. Mannheim
    Stone Park, IL.

http://www.shwingsonmannheim.com/

Another spot I can hit at lunch. Crunchy coating on these shrimp, not bad, not the best I had.

Franks Chicago Shrimp and Seafood
    4459 S. Archer Ave.
    Chicago, IL.

http://frankschicagoshrimp.com/

Franks is solid, had to make it to the original location, and enjoyed my visit. Friendly staff, and some real good shrimp. Went with the regular vs Chicago breaded, you can tell the difference vs upthread.

Hienies McCarthys
    9869 W. 143rd Street
    Orland Park, IL.

http://www.hienies.com/

Hienies is typically good, large shrimps sold by the 1/2 or full lb.

Another I hit:

DiColas Seafood
    10754 S. Western
    Chicago, IL.

http://www.dicolasseafoodbeverly.com/

Had some fun eating shrimps at some less profiled spots.
  • Post #124 - April 2nd, 2014, 9:55 am
    Post #124 - April 2nd, 2014, 9:55 am Post #124 - April 2nd, 2014, 9:55 am
    That's a lot of fantastic looking shrimps... Now I've got a shrimp jones too!!
  • Post #125 - April 2nd, 2014, 8:13 pm
    Post #125 - April 2nd, 2014, 8:13 pm Post #125 - April 2nd, 2014, 8:13 pm
    Something about seeing that snow covered shrimp spot while awaiting my trip to Tampa tomorrow was kind of surreal!!! Great write up and looking forward to trying some of those spots!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #126 - May 19th, 2014, 8:17 am
    Post #126 - May 19th, 2014, 8:17 am Post #126 - May 19th, 2014, 8:17 am
    Joey's Shrimp House on Western has had a few mentions on here.

I found myself on the N. Side on Saturday - craving shrimps after hanging at Toons for a short bit. Ive been to the RHR, Phils, etc. Wanted to try a new one. Heard Joeys served beer(thanks frickin' Yelp.. :wink: ) No worries, doesnt take long to snarf a 1/2 Lb & move on to the next tap.

shrimps were decent, I didnt appreciate the texture on a couple, but overall ok.

Joey's Shrimp House
    1432 N. Western
    Chicago, IL.

On the N. Side Snappys over on Irving Park is my go to spot for shrimps.
  • Post #127 - May 27th, 2014, 8:34 am
    Post #127 - May 27th, 2014, 8:34 am Post #127 - May 27th, 2014, 8:34 am
    1/2 lb and some slaw, a perfect snack:

always taste the gulf..

a shot of the dining room. Nice spot for lunch:

Johnsons Door County
    Lombard, IL.
  • Post #128 - April 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm
    Post #128 - April 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm Post #128 - April 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm
    Shwings on Mannheim is awesome.

http://www.shwingsonmannheim.com/
  • Post #129 - April 10th, 2015, 4:58 pm
    Post #129 - April 10th, 2015, 4:58 pm Post #129 - April 10th, 2015, 4:58 pm
    Anybody got any tips for something out in the Aurora - Oswego area? I've been living here for a year now and haven't seen anything that resembles a shrimp shack.
  • Post #130 - February 4th, 2021, 5:12 pm
    Post #130 - February 4th, 2021, 5:12 pm Post #130 - February 4th, 2021, 5:12 pm
    Marshall K wrote:Best fried Shrimp I have ever had. Never frozen, lightly breaded, great seasoning and perfectly cooked.
    Served with warmed cocktail sauce and hot sauce.

Haire's Gulf Shrimp
    8112 S Vincennes Ave , Chicago, IL 6062
    Carry out only call ahead (773) 783-1818
    Menu
    Shrimp
    Large "Bomb" Bag
    Small Bag
    Large Dinner
    Small Dinner
    includes slaw and choice of Fries or Spaghetti

Finnie ‘Shrimp Man’ Haire, owner of Haire’s Gulf Shrimp, dies at 80

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #131 - February 5th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Post #131 - February 5th, 2021, 3:22 pm Post #131 - February 5th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Not exclusively a shrimp spot, but highly recommend the fried-by-the-pound Shrimp @ Redhot Ranch. Large shrimp, fried & hot/juicy to order. Really great shrimp to batter ratio - the shrimp flavor shines through.

Didn't realize until recently they had shrimp on the menu (excellent burgers & decent fries as well)

Locations at 3057 N Ashland , 2449 W Armitage (right under the blue line), and 500 W 35th St (called 35th street Redhots, but same ownership group).

https://www.redhotranchchicago.com/
  • Post #132 - February 5th, 2021, 5:24 pm
    Post #132 - February 5th, 2021, 5:24 pm Post #132 - February 5th, 2021, 5:24 pm
    Seconding Red Hot Ranch! The cornmeal in the batter adds the perfect level of crunch.
  • Post #133 - February 5th, 2021, 6:14 pm
    Post #133 - February 5th, 2021, 6:14 pm Post #133 - February 5th, 2021, 6:14 pm
    Red Hot Ranch shrimp, count me in any day of the week!
    My absolute favorite fried shrimps!

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #134 - February 5th, 2021, 9:05 pm
    Post #134 - February 5th, 2021, 9:05 pm Post #134 - February 5th, 2021, 9:05 pm
    annak wrote:Seconding Red Hot Ranch! The cornmeal in the batter adds the perfect level of crunch.

I always wondered why their fries tasted some what coated.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #135 - February 8th, 2021, 10:55 am
    Post #135 - February 8th, 2021, 10:55 am Post #135 - February 8th, 2021, 10:55 am
    Red Hot Ranch has great fried Shrimp, and much closer to home for me, but I still love the Shrimp from The Fish Keg. It's been consistently great for the 50+ years I have been going there. Scallops, smelts, chicken and other stuff is always excellent also.

The Fish Keg
    2233 W. Howard
    Chicago, IL
    (773) 262-6603
  • Post #136 - February 8th, 2021, 11:59 am
    Post #136 - February 8th, 2021, 11:59 am Post #136 - February 8th, 2021, 11:59 am
    thetrob wrote:Red Hot Ranch has great fried Shrimp, and much closer to home for me, but I still love the Shrimp from The Fish Keg. ...

Speaking of close to home (for some)...Dave, I do not know if you saw this, but I posted in the main OP thread about Wild Beef n Fish, newly (relatively) on North Ave. I've tried a few things there, pretty much all yucky, but the fried shrimp is actually very good. It's a battered shrimp, not the heavy, breaded style I most associate with Goose Island. The fresh cut fries are also top notch. You should try; not the least as this place is barely making it, and I fear they will start cutting corners on said shrimp.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #137 - February 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Post #137 - February 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm Post #137 - February 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Vital Information wrote:
    thetrob wrote:Red Hot Ranch has great fried Shrimp, and much closer to home for me, but I still love the Shrimp from The Fish Keg. ...

Speaking of close to home (for some)...Dave, I do not know if you saw this, but I posted in the main OP thread about Wild Beef n Fish, newly (relatively) on North Ave. I've tried a few things there, pretty much all yucky, but the fried shrimp is actually very good. It's a battered shrimp, not the heavy, breaded style I most associate with Goose Island. The fresh cut fries are also top notch. You should try; not the least as this place is barely making it, and I fear they will start cutting corners on said shrimp.

I have tried them a couple of times, some good, some bad. Have not tried the fried shrimp yet. The rice and roasted vegetables that come with a lot of the dishes are good. Every time I have been there it is just the owner and his wife, not sure if they ever get busy if they could handle a "rush". Not sure they make it very long.

Speaking of fried Shrimp, have you tried Surf's Up?, I went once early on and haven't been back.
  • Post #138 - February 8th, 2021, 3:13 pm
    Post #138 - February 8th, 2021, 3:13 pm Post #138 - February 8th, 2021, 3:13 pm
    Can anyone tell me if the Frank's on Archer in Chicago is in an OK neighborhood? I'm used to going to places in Cicero but I have not ventured much further southeast. Also Troha's I see is in Little Village, what about that one. Is it safe to go there? I'd like to try these someday when we get out of this deep freeze.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #139 - February 9th, 2021, 9:48 am
    Post #139 - February 9th, 2021, 9:48 am Post #139 - February 9th, 2021, 9:48 am
    thetrob wrote:Speaking of fried Shrimp, have you tried Surf's Up?, I went once early on and haven't been back.

Couldn't be closer to our bungalow, but I about never go, especially now that Wild Beef is also nearby. Surf's Up has a very heavy hand with a seasoning salt that I just do not care for. I much prefer Wild Beef's minimal approach.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #140 - February 9th, 2021, 10:18 am
    Post #140 - February 9th, 2021, 10:18 am Post #140 - February 9th, 2021, 10:18 am
    an anyone tell me if the Frank's on Archer in Chicago is in an OK neighborhood? I'm used to going to places in Cicero but I have not ventured much further southeast. Also Troha's I see is in Little Village, what about that one. Is it safe to go there? I'd like to try these someday when we get out of this deep freeze.

Re:Troha's, Not sure what you mean by "safe" but I've been many times and am still alive. I highly recommend. The last time there we got curbside pickup and just stayed right there and pigged out in the car.
  • Post #141 - August 17th, 2022, 9:42 am
    Post #141 - August 17th, 2022, 9:42 am Post #141 - August 17th, 2022, 9:42 am
    Vital Information wrote:Speaking of close to home (for some)...Dave, I do not know if you saw this, but I posted in the main OP thread about Wild Beef n Fish, newly (relatively) on North Ave. I've tried a few things there, pretty much all yucky, but the fried shrimp is actually very good. It's a battered shrimp, not the heavy, breaded style I most associate with Goose Island. The fresh cut fries are also top notch. You should try; not the least as this place is barely making it, and I fear they will start cutting corners on said shrimp.

Wild Fish & Beef Customers:
    It is with a heavy heart that we must announce that we will be closing our doors permanently on Friday August 19th. We are saddened to bring this news to our loyal customers, however the Chef/Owner has decided to take some time to rest after receiving a serious medical diagnosis. We want to thank all of our loyal customers and will miss serving you daily.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #142 - August 17th, 2022, 11:15 am
    Post #142 - August 17th, 2022, 11:15 am Post #142 - August 17th, 2022, 11:15 am
    Had 1/2 lb of jumbo fried shrimp from Hagen's recently, not the greatest, breading seemed ultra heavy.

I did also pick up a chub of smoked lake trout that I'll make some smoked fish dip with as well as some smoked shrimp. I'll be curious how the smoked shrimp rate with Calumet Fisheries

Edited to add: Hagen's smoked shrimp were terrific. Not quite as moist as Calumet w/ shell being split due to de-veining but moist enough and full of flavor, went fantastic on a chilled seafood salad I made for dinner last night.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #143 - January 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am
    Post #143 - January 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am Post #143 - January 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am
    Ended 2023 on a disappointing note. We decided to stop in at the Fish Keg for a bit of nostalgia. Shrimp was inedible, fish nuggets (they claimed it was cod, but it could have been anything) similarly bad. Massive fail at any price.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more