LTH Home

Anteprima in Andersonville

Anteprima in Andersonville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - October 20th, 2013, 4:54 pm
    Post #91 - October 20th, 2013, 4:54 pm Post #91 - October 20th, 2013, 4:54 pm
    Fantastic dinner last night--not sure how useful it is to even post this since several of the items were on last night's "specials" card--but if you can get there soon, you'll be glad you did. Highlights were the farm egg with spicy tomatoes, pecorino and crispy pig's ears; the tomato salad with gorgonzola (they had that wonderful flavor of late season ripeness) the tagliatelle with chanterelles (almost sauceless--just a bit of the liquid from the mushrooms, a touch of oil, garlic, a sprinkle of parsley, some parm, salt & pepper) the scottish salmon with wild local mushrooms, roasted shallots in a pinot noir reduction and the amberjack with peperonata, frisee and rosemary oil. So basically, everything we ate (except dessert which was, as usual, underwhelming.) The food here isn't elaborate or particularly unique. It's simply delicious. Still my favorite date night spot.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #92 - June 22nd, 2014, 10:03 pm
    Post #92 - June 22nd, 2014, 10:03 pm Post #92 - June 22nd, 2014, 10:03 pm
    Love this place year round but it is really special in late spring and summer. Pretty sure I could be a vegetarian if I only ate here. Ok, maybe a Pescatarian.

Antipasti bar.JPG Antipasti bar 6-22-14

Devoured one before I realized I NEEDED this picture (I rarely, if ever, take pictures here--usually too busy eating to remember).

Squash Blossom.JPG First of the season squash blossom

Perfectly fried blossoms. So simple. SO good.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #93 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:04 am
    Post #93 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:04 am Post #93 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:04 am
    I could eat a couple dozen of the fried squash blossoms at Anteprima
  • Post #94 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:11 am
    Post #94 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:11 am Post #94 - June 23rd, 2014, 7:11 am
    Missing is our other starter, burrata with strawberry mostardo and my main, the tagliatelle with porcinis. Both fantastic.
  • Post #95 - June 23rd, 2014, 8:21 am
    Post #95 - June 23rd, 2014, 8:21 am Post #95 - June 23rd, 2014, 8:21 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:Devoured one before I realized I NEEDED this picture (I rarely, if ever, take pictures here--usually too busy eating to remember).

Perfectly fried blossoms. So simple. SO good.

Had this last week and loved it. We had a thoroughly delicious meal, but the starters were especially good.
  • Post #96 - June 23rd, 2014, 12:22 pm
    Post #96 - June 23rd, 2014, 12:22 pm Post #96 - June 23rd, 2014, 12:22 pm
    First time posting, long time reader...

I was at Anteprima's sister restaurant in Wicker Park, Azzurra, and they have stuffed zucchini flowers too. Not to mention great handmade pasta! Delicious!
  • Post #97 - June 15th, 2015, 11:22 am
    Post #97 - June 15th, 2015, 11:22 am Post #97 - June 15th, 2015, 11:22 am
    We had a great dinner here this past weekend. Inside the restauant it was cozy, comfortable and calm. Outside it was a bit of crazy scene. Due to a streetfest, Clark Street was closed from Foster to Balmoral. However, the reservationist called us a couple hours in advance of our reservation and did an excellent, thorough job of describing the situation to us and advising us on the best way to access the restaurant. The wet weather also contributed to the situation. Marty told us that they'd had 58 cancelations, which really sucks on a Saturday night.

Highlights of our meal included . . .

Spring Vegetable Salad | fava beans, asparagus, pea shoots, pecorino pepato (special)

Grilled Pork Meatballs | country tomato, parmigiano

Farm Egg Amatriciana | tomato, chilis, red onion, pancetta, pecorino

Orecchiette | spicy house-made lamb sausage, bitter greens, chilis, pecorino

Bucatini Alla Griglia | pancetta, red onion, pecorino

Pappardelle | boar ragu, parmigiano

Tagliatelle | fresh porcini, garlic, parsley parmigiano (special)

It was also very kind the house to send out a quartet of desserts (and some limoncello) for us, including a tart-sweet rhubarb crisp, some thinly sliced biscotti + vin santo (for dipping) and a butterylicious chocolate tart. Service was typically friendly and efficient. Looking back at the menu, I cannot believe how many tempting items we left unordered. I have to get in here more often.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #98 - June 10th, 2017, 7:53 pm
    Post #98 - June 10th, 2017, 7:53 pm Post #98 - June 10th, 2017, 7:53 pm
    Unbelievably delicious. Hand dipped ricotta, cherries, almond.
    IMG_2312.JPG Ricotta, cherries & almond
  • Post #99 - June 10th, 2017, 8:34 pm
    Post #99 - June 10th, 2017, 8:34 pm Post #99 - June 10th, 2017, 8:34 pm
    I went to Anteprima last weekend and had a somewhat up and down meal. For starters we had the veal meatballs, grilled octopus, and cannellini beans. The veal meatballs were wonderfully juicy with just enough firmness and seasoning. The accompanying tomatoes burst with flavor. The octopus was on point too with just enough char while maintaining fork tender "cutability". Cannellini beans were average, though to be honest, I'm not sure that a cannellini bean could get me terribly excited.

Entres were stinging nettle and baby shrimp risotto. This was a misstep. This dish was criminally underseasoned. I can't imagine a chef tasting this and sending it out as it was. Even after adding much needed salt, the risotto wasn't terrible interesting. While a beautiful green, the stinging nettle added only a slight grassy herbalness to the dish. The shrimp seemed more for texture and also didn't contribute much to flavor. All in all, it was just a bland dish. The other main pasta was a orecchiette with spicy house made lamb sausage, bitter greens, chilis, and pecorino. This was great. Pasta was perfectly al dente. The plentiful lamb sausage and bitter greens were simple but perfect. This was Anteprima at its best.

We passed on meat entrees as we were way too full at this point. We shared a decent, but not spectacular, slice of carrot cake for dessert. Service throughout the meal was less than attentive (we ordered a bottle of wine that was forgotten until after apps were served and we were required to ask where it was), albeit very friendly. Overall, a decent meal, but not up to my previous visits.
  • Post #100 - September 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Post #100 - September 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm Post #100 - September 19th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    We chose Anteprima to celebrate our anniversary last night. Love the three-course prix fixe as an affordable way to explore the menu. Supplemented the food with cocktails and a nice bottle of Nebbiolo.

Seafood salad (local peas, olives, shallots, sungold tomatoes)

Paccheri pasta with braised pork

Duck breast (herbed farro, kale, roasted peppers, arugula pesto)

Rainbow trout (herbed fregola, tomatoes, cauliflower, salsa verde)

Poached pear dessert (complimentary dessert drink in the background)

Not pictured: Starter of spicy mussels.

The only quibble is that the rainbow trout was served with broccoli instead of the cauliflower listed on the menu. That didn't stop us from devouring every bite. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #101 - September 19th, 2018, 8:27 pm
    Post #101 - September 19th, 2018, 8:27 pm Post #101 - September 19th, 2018, 8:27 pm
    Congrats on your Anniversary, Mary! Antiprima is such a gem. It’s been about a year since we’ve been. Thanks for the reminder to get back soon.
  • Post #102 - April 27th, 2020, 7:56 am
    Post #102 - April 27th, 2020, 7:56 am Post #102 - April 27th, 2020, 7:56 am
    We enjoyed a lovely meal, picked up curbside, from Anteprima last night to celebrate Cabbagehead's birthday. They have a smaller than usual menu during these days, but the food was as good as ever. We especially enjoyed our starters of artichoke caponata and slow-cooked spicy calimari. The orecchiette with pork and bitter greens was just what the birthday boy wanted, and I was happy with shrimp in a quite spicy romesco sauce. If you are fond of Anteprima, as we are, check them out as a nice takeaway option. You can pull right in front on Clark Street in the heart of Andersonville. :cry:
  • Post #103 - May 23rd, 2020, 10:15 pm
    Post #103 - May 23rd, 2020, 10:15 pm Post #103 - May 23rd, 2020, 10:15 pm
    Capped a long day of errands and much needed, socially-distant drive by check-ins with friends with this feast from the lovely folks at Anteprima. Everything packaged perfectly, down to the cute little bottled Negroni so that we could recreate our normal dinner in these so very not normal times.

My favorite Negroni!!!

First course—herbed farro with roasted zucchini, cherry tomatoes, basil pesto and spring greens salad with artichokes, carrots & croutons, lemon-thyme vinaigrette

2nd course—tagliatelle with bolognese ragu, parmigiano and rigatoni with
    prosciutto di parma, english peas, cream, parmigiano

smoked & braised beef brisket
    roasted sweet corn & zucchini, heirloom cherry tomatoes, parmigiano polenta

Pan seared Salmon with pea purée, artichokes, cherry tomatoes and herbs

Mike’s favorite, lemon panna cotta
  • Post #104 - April 12th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Post #104 - April 12th, 2021, 10:47 am Post #104 - April 12th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Anteprima has been doing a Sunday Supper takeaway option over the past several months. I'd been meaning to order one for a while and finally took the plunge this past week. For $65, it's a heck of a value. The meal included:

Farro Primavera]: asparagus, roasted peppers, charred spring onions, spring greens, farro, parmigiano, herb vinaigrette

Beef & Pork Meatballs (8) with slow cooked tomato, parmigiano

Lasagna Primavera: fresh pasta noodles, fava beans, peas, asparagus, creamy herb ricotta, mozzarella, bechamel

Strawberry Lemon Cream Cake

So. Much. Food. The salad looked nice and hearty. We're having it for lunch today. The meatballs and lasagna were delicious. I regret not adding on bread as it would have gone nicely with the meatballs. I would describe the lasagna as delicate. Really nice flavors. The cake was refreshing. Reminded me of a tres leches. Highly recommend the Anteprima Sunday Supper!
    -Mary
  • Post #105 - July 8th, 2023, 6:17 pm
    Post #105 - July 8th, 2023, 6:17 pm Post #105 - July 8th, 2023, 6:17 pm
    We ate here this evening for the first time and loved it. Everything was great! Just wanted to chime in.
  • Post #106 - November 25th, 2023, 10:11 pm
    Post #106 - November 25th, 2023, 10:11 pm Post #106 - November 25th, 2023, 10:11 pm
    The three of us had a lovely dinner here tonight. It had been since pre-pandemic.

Started with the grilled octopus and the scamorza cheese appetizers. Jonathan went with his favorite here - the Orecchiette with lamb sausage, I had the Mussels appetizer as my entree and Audrey got the half order of Butternut Squash Ravioli. The half order was supposed to be 4 pieces. She received 5 and couldn’t have been more pleased than if she won the lottery! We shared a small basket of focaccia and their addictive-as-potato-chips crispy breadsticks. I couldn’t keep my family’s bread out of my mussel broth!
    We shared one chocolate hazelnut tart which was the perfect finish.
    Service was both friendly and professional.
    The room is so cozy and comfortable. Audrey said “this is the kind of restaurant Moominmamma would like”.**
    So happy to see this place going strong.

**A fictional cartoon character created by Tove Jansson. “Moominmamma is a calm and collected mother who never lets little things get on her nerves. She ensures that the Moominhouse is always a safe and loving place – both for her family and for visitors.”
  • Post #107 - November 25th, 2023, 10:21 pm
    Post #107 - November 25th, 2023, 10:21 pm Post #107 - November 25th, 2023, 10:21 pm
    LynnB wrote:The three of us had a lovely dinner here tonight. It had been since pre-pandemic.

Started with the grilled octopus and the scamorza cheese appetizers. Jonathan went with his favorite here - the Orecchiette with lamb sausage, I had the Mussels appetizer as my entree and Audrey got the half order of Butternut Squash Ravioli. The half order was supposed to be 4 pieces. She received 5 and couldn’t have been more pleased than if she won the lottery! We shared a small basket of focaccia and their addictive-as-potato-chips crispy breadsticks. I couldn’t keep my family’s bread out of my mussel broth!
    We shared one chocolate hazelnut tart which was the perfect finish.
    Service was both friendly and professional.
    The room is so cozy and comfortable. Audrey said “this is the kind of restaurant Moominmamma would like”.**
    So happy to see this place going strong.

**A fictional cartoon character created by Tove Jansson. “Moominmamma is a calm and collected mother who never lets little things get on her nerves. She ensures that the Moominhouse is always a safe and loving place – both for her family and for visitors.”

We were there tonight as well! We had the autumn salad, salmon fritters, bucatini, Salmon with butternut squash purée and the seafood risotto. My husband had his usual lemon panna cotta and I had a limoncello for dessert. Everything was as delicious as ever.
  • Post #108 - March 8th, 2024, 2:05 pm
    Post #108 - March 8th, 2024, 2:05 pm Post #108 - March 8th, 2024, 2:05 pm
    Busy Thursday night at Anteprima yesterday! It's the middle of Northside Restaurant Week where restaurants in Rogers Park, Andersonville, Edgewater, Uptown, North Center and Lincoln Square/Ravenswood are offering prix fixe menus. We started with the chicken meatballs for Mr. X and grilled polenta and greens for me. My entree was the seared salmon with farro while he opted for the chianti braised beef. I couldn't pass up the tiramisu and he had the chocolate hazelnut tart. Wonderful meal as always. I forget though how loud Anteprima is when it's full. That was the only negative on the night. We powered through it. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #109 - March 12th, 2024, 9:56 am
    Post #109 - March 12th, 2024, 9:56 am Post #109 - March 12th, 2024, 9:56 am
    The GP wrote:I forget though how loud Anteprima is when it's full. That was the only negative on the night. We powered through it. ;-)

A pity as I like the place but don't care for loud rooms- a fairly easily remedied design feature (if prioritized) and why I stopped going to Publican. Neither suffer from my lack of patronage though.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #110 - March 12th, 2024, 10:36 am
    Post #110 - March 12th, 2024, 10:36 am Post #110 - March 12th, 2024, 10:36 am
    Jazzfood wrote:
    The GP wrote:I forget though how loud Anteprima is when it's full. That was the only negative on the night. We powered through it. ;-)

A pity as I like the place but don't care for loud rooms- a fairly easily remedied design feature (if prioritized) and why I stopped going to Publican. Neither suffer from my lack of patronage though.

If you have the flexibility to go early or late, it’s definitely better. And the patio is quieter than inside.
  • Post #111 - March 12th, 2024, 6:37 pm
    Post #111 - March 12th, 2024, 6:37 pm Post #111 - March 12th, 2024, 6:37 pm
    We go to Anteprima about once a month. If possible, order the bread basket. All made in house with focaccia and the most delicious rosemary breadsticks. Sometimes we order a bread basket to go!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more