LTH Home

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 8
  • Post #151 - January 29th, 2021, 3:23 pm
    Post #151 - January 29th, 2021, 3:23 pm Post #151 - January 29th, 2021, 3:23 pm
    JoelF wrote:According to The Takeout, Popeye's has removed Cajun rice and green beans from its list of side dishes.

The rice was my #2 choice, after the beloved onion rings. If they 86 those, that place will likely be dead to me.

That's just brutal. It's one of my favorite fast food items
  • Post #152 - January 29th, 2021, 3:26 pm
    Post #152 - January 29th, 2021, 3:26 pm Post #152 - January 29th, 2021, 3:26 pm
    oh no! the green beans! i still haven't recovered from Culver's taking them off the menu, and now Popeye's too?!
  • Post #153 - January 29th, 2021, 10:12 pm
    Post #153 - January 29th, 2021, 10:12 pm Post #153 - January 29th, 2021, 10:12 pm
    This has all been a tempest in a teapot caused by lousy journalism. The only side that has been 86’d by Popeye’s in the last year is corn on the cob. Any other cases of missing sides are based on a location by location decision. For example, the downtown location on Jackson only offers fries, mashed and cole slaw, while the 2556 S. California store adds red beans and rice, green beans, and Cajun rice.
  • Post #154 - January 29th, 2021, 11:21 pm
    Post #154 - January 29th, 2021, 11:21 pm Post #154 - January 29th, 2021, 11:21 pm
    scottsol wrote:This has all been a tempest in a teapot caused by lousy journalism. The only side that has been 86’d by Popeye’s in the last year is corn on the cob. Any other cases of missing sides are based on a location by location decision. For example, the downtown location on Jackson only offers fries, mashed and cole slaw, while the 2556 S. California store adds red beans and rice, green beans, and Cajun rice.

I guess the statement the "lousy journalist" received from the company and posts on the official social media account are all unfounded....

https://twitter.com/PopeyesChicken/stat ... 09345?s=19
  • Post #155 - January 30th, 2021, 12:15 am
    Post #155 - January 30th, 2021, 12:15 am Post #155 - January 30th, 2021, 12:15 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    scottsol wrote:This has all been a tempest in a teapot caused by lousy journalism. The only side that has been 86’d by Popeye’s in the last year is corn on the cob. Any other cases of missing sides are based on a location by location decision. For example, the downtown location on Jackson only offers fries, mashed and cole slaw, while the 2556 S. California store adds red beans and rice, green beans, and Cajun rice.

I guess the statement the "lousy journalist" received from the company and posts on the official social media account are all unfounded....

Yet just another example of why I fucking hate social media.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #156 - January 30th, 2021, 8:16 am
    Post #156 - January 30th, 2021, 8:16 am Post #156 - January 30th, 2021, 8:16 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:

Yet just another example of why I fucking hate social media.

=R=

What are you taking issue with here? Popeyes clarifying what's on their permanent menu? They confirmed the reporting.
  • Post #157 - January 30th, 2021, 1:35 pm
    Post #157 - January 30th, 2021, 1:35 pm Post #157 - January 30th, 2021, 1:35 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:

The Takeout article announces that the rice is dead and buried without deep consideration. Popeye’s uses the phrase “permanent menu” but we never learn what that implies. Is rice likely to show up once a year, once a quarter, probably never? It didn’t take a lot of effort to determine that many locations are still serving the rice as well as green beans. Is this just because they haven’t yet run out or will those locations continue to have them for the foreseeable future.

Readers of the article are left without hope and may be dissuaded from dining at Popeyes's unnecessarily. If the mention on Takeout was just a short blurb that would be one thing, but an entire column devoted to the subject should have dug a little deeper.
  • Post #158 - January 31st, 2021, 9:52 am
    Post #158 - January 31st, 2021, 9:52 am Post #158 - January 31st, 2021, 9:52 am
    scottsol wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:

The Takeout article announces that the rice is dead and buried without deep consideration. Popeye’s uses the phrase “permanent menu” but we never learn what that implies. Is rice likely to show up once a year, once a quarter, probably never? It didn’t take a lot of effort to determine that many locations are still serving the rice as well as green beans. Is this just because they haven’t yet run out or will those locations continue to have them for the foreseeable future.

Readers of the article are left without hope and may be dissuaded from dining at Popeyes's unnecessarily. If the mention on Takeout was just a short blurb that would be one thing, but an entire column devoted to the subject should have dug a little deeper.

I respectfully disagree and this a bonkers expectation.

Also, if you're legitimately upset that diners are dissuaded from visiting Popeyes bc of this, maybe your misplaced vitriol should be guided towards the Popeyes corporation instead.
  • Post #159 - February 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Post #159 - February 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm Post #159 - February 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: [I edit myself.]
    So - I managed to visit this specific Popeye's store just before a satisfying visit to the adjacent Long Room Tavern, where select craft beer 12-oz. cans are only $4 on Sunday, and you don't have to put up with gridiron on televisions (and gambling “fantasy football” persons). [But here I splice in: The Long Room Tavern is a Black-owned business.]
    I thought the Spicy Chicken sandwich was pretty good. I think the secret is the pickles included thereon. (Disclosure: When I order the Original Chicken sandwich from Burger King®, for which I typically have a coupon, I ask for extra pickles upon it, which Burger King is very used to doing.)
    [My own images removed to save bandwidth. Not many other LTHF denizens would do that.]
    JoelF wrote: According to The Takeout, Popeye's has removed Cajun Rice and green beans from its list of side dishes.
    The rice was my #2 choice, after the beloved onion rings. If it 86s those, that place will likely be dead to me.
    An alert LTHF viewer may have noticed that in the images accompanying my description of the Popeye's Spicy Chicken sandwich, I ordered the Cajun Rice. This is likely the last time you shall glimpse a picture of it here. :D
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #160 - February 4th, 2021, 11:18 pm
    Post #160 - February 4th, 2021, 11:18 pm Post #160 - February 4th, 2021, 11:18 pm
    Las week, I headed into Tucson with the intent of trying the Church Chicken fried chicken sandwich. The location I stopped at shutdown their drive-thru and required you to go in. As I saw ten people in line, I passed and left. I intended to head over to Whataburger for the Whatachick sandwich. However, that would det me back $6 with tax.

I passed as I could head over to the local Kroger affiliate and get a two piece chicken dinner with two sides for $5.
  • Post #161 - February 5th, 2021, 9:34 am
    Post #161 - February 5th, 2021, 9:34 am Post #161 - February 5th, 2021, 9:34 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:I passed as I could head over to the local Kroger affiliate and get a two piece chicken dinner with two sides for $5.

• Post #162 - February 11th, 2021, 7:58 am
    Post #162 - February 11th, 2021, 7:58 am Post #162 - February 11th, 2021, 7:58 am
    Almost 1.5 years to the day after Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen launched its now-famous Chicken Sandwich, the fast-food chain is unveiling another sandwich that it hopes will drive customers equally wild. The Cajun Flounder Sandwich launches tomorrow: It’s a Cajun-seasoned fried filet, served on the same brioche bun with pickles that diners know from the Chicken Sandwich, along with Popeyes tartar sauce. The sandwich costs $4.49.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90602544/po ... cken-magic
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #163 - February 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm
    Post #163 - February 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm Post #163 - February 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm
    Just in time. It's a little surprising it took Popeye's so long to think to offer a fish sandwich during Lent.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #164 - February 11th, 2021, 1:31 pm
    Post #164 - February 11th, 2021, 1:31 pm Post #164 - February 11th, 2021, 1:31 pm
    They offered a fish sandwich last year during Lent. I don't think it was flounder though. Not quite as good as their chicken sandwich, but better than most other fast food fish sandwiches. I was sorry they didn't keep it on the menu beyond Easter.

Buddy
  • Post #165 - February 12th, 2021, 1:57 pm
    Post #165 - February 12th, 2021, 1:57 pm Post #165 - February 12th, 2021, 1:57 pm
    Ah, thanks for the correction, Buddy; I did not know that. Looking forward to giving the fried flounder a try.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #166 - February 12th, 2021, 4:40 pm
    Post #166 - February 12th, 2021, 4:40 pm Post #166 - February 12th, 2021, 4:40 pm
    Nick Kindelsperger at the Tribune offered a less than complimentary review of the sandwich:

"The thin fillet of flounder is completely overwhelmed by the breading, turning soft and mushy after a few bites. For some bites it’s hard to even tell if you’re even eating fish. The thick pickles, which added such a great counterpoint to the juicy chicken, are also too prominent."

Even with that lukewarm review, he does say Popeye's sandwich is still preferable to McDonald's Filet-O-Fish. Faint praise at best.

Still, I'll be trying it this weekend to form my own opinion.

Buddy
  • Post #167 - February 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    Post #167 - February 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm Post #167 - February 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm
    I had the Popeye's Cajun Flounder Sandwich this afternoon.

The positives were:
    1) The bun was excellent and had a great taste.
    2) The breading (or was it a batter) was good and spicy, crunchy and well seasoned.
    3) The tartar sauce was good almost as good as Frisch's.

However, all of that was overcome by the mediocrity of the fish itself. It is kind of mushy and not very appetising.

Personally, I will not be ordering it again. Personally, I could make a better fish sandwich using Gordon's fish sticks in the air fryer.

When I went through the drive thru, the cashier asked me if I wanted to make it a combo. I asked "Can I have it with cajun rice and green beans?" "No, we have discontinued it." "No, forget it."
  • Post #168 - February 13th, 2021, 11:41 am
    Post #168 - February 13th, 2021, 11:41 am Post #168 - February 13th, 2021, 11:41 am
    Another fishy opinion, not all that different from those above:

Popeyes’ new fish sandwich is a muted sequel to the chicken sandwich blockbuster of 2019 (Washington Post)

Given the lack of rave reviews, this part is worth pointing out:

Washington Post wrote:Popeyes is selling a “sandwich insurance” policy: Customers can purchase one from the chain’s app for 15 cents, and if they don’t like the new item, they can get a tried-and-true chicken sandwich in its place.
  • Post #169 - February 13th, 2021, 1:55 pm
    Post #169 - February 13th, 2021, 1:55 pm Post #169 - February 13th, 2021, 1:55 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Another fishy opinion, not all that different from those above:

Popeyes’ new fish sandwich is a muted sequel to the chicken sandwich blockbuster of 2019 (Washington Post)

Given the lack of rave reviews, this part is worth pointing out:

Washington Post wrote:Popeyes is selling a “sandwich insurance” policy: Customers can purchase one from the chain’s app for 15 cents, and if they don’t like the new item, they can get a tried-and-true chicken sandwich in its place.

The insurance was allegedly only on the release day.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #170 - February 15th, 2021, 5:19 pm
    Post #170 - February 15th, 2021, 5:19 pm Post #170 - February 15th, 2021, 5:19 pm
    Apparently, I'm going to the only Popeye's franchise in all of Chicagoland that knows how to prepare fried fish. Based on the above reviews, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by a darned good fast-food Fish Sandwich. Yes, I'm using the "fast-food" qualifier because even though my sandwich exceeded expectations, I know there are fish-focused restaurants doing a much better job, albeit at a much higher price point. And yeah, as noted in another thread, Culver's has an excellent fast-food fish sandwich--admittedly better than Popeye's--but there isn't a Culver's that's only two minutes from where I work, is there?

Anyway, I ordered mine with extra Tartar Sauce and extra pickles cuz that's the way I like it. It looked exactly like the sandwich shown in the TV commercial, without the benefit of hours of prep by a food stylist. The not too thick breading provided a nice crunch and toothsome texture around the edges. The closer I got to the middle of the sandwich, the mushier it got, but not necessarily in a distasteful way. It had solid fish flavor, with out being "fish-y".

Not sure what else to tell you. This was definitely not a high end pescatarian experience, but it was a solid fast food fish sandwich at a fair price...and close to work.

BTW, this same location is where I've picked up more than a dozen Cajun Chicken Sandwiches since they were introduced. All of them have been (fast-food) top notch. I have not experienced any of the issues (too much breading, undersized piece of chicken, etc.) described in previous posts. The sandwiches I've had were more than ample with light crispy breading, very moist, and great flavor. Maybe not as good as The Roost, or Honey Butter Fried Chicken, but for the price and proximity, a solid choice.

FWIW, I'm not an overly zealous fan of Popeye's in general. I only go for the sandwiches. I think their signature bone-in chicken options are scrawny and overrated at best.

Buddy

For those wondering which location serves these consistently good sandwiches:

Popeye's Chicken
    2355 W. Addison St. (SE corner Addison & Western)
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 296-6545
  • Post #171 - February 17th, 2021, 10:11 pm
    Post #171 - February 17th, 2021, 10:11 pm Post #171 - February 17th, 2021, 10:11 pm
    Went in today, with a coupon from T-Mobile that they wouldn't honor, and no onion rings any more.
    They're dead to me.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #172 - February 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Post #172 - February 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm Post #172 - February 18th, 2021, 12:58 pm
    Last month I was able to purchase onion rings at the Popeye’s on Townline Road in Mundelein. Long way to go but it was on my way home from somewhere I needed to go.
  • Post #173 - February 18th, 2021, 7:33 pm
    Post #173 - February 18th, 2021, 7:33 pm Post #173 - February 18th, 2021, 7:33 pm
    Fact: The guy who founded Popeye’s is buried very close to the woman who founded Ruth’s Chris in Metairie Cemetery in New Orleans.
  • Post #174 - February 18th, 2021, 7:54 pm
    Post #174 - February 18th, 2021, 7:54 pm Post #174 - February 18th, 2021, 7:54 pm
    Shouldn't Popeye's have at least one spinach dish on the menu?

• Post #175 - February 18th, 2021, 8:35 pm
    Post #175 - February 18th, 2021, 8:35 pm Post #175 - February 18th, 2021, 8:35 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Shouldn't Popeye's have at least one spinach dish on the menu?

I know you jest, but Popeyes is named after a character in The French Connection, "Popeye" Doyle. Yes, they did eventually use Popeye the cartoon character in their branding for many years, but (looking it up), they stopped licensing it from King Features Syndicate at the end of 2006.
  • Post #176 - February 18th, 2021, 8:45 pm
    Post #176 - February 18th, 2021, 8:45 pm Post #176 - February 18th, 2021, 8:45 pm
    Binko wrote:Popeyes is named after a character in The French Connection, "Popeye" Doyle.

Interesting! So when we eat at Popeye's, we're eating French cuisine! :lol:
  • Post #177 - February 18th, 2021, 8:48 pm
    Post #177 - February 18th, 2021, 8:48 pm Post #177 - February 18th, 2021, 8:48 pm
    Or heroin.

Buddy
  • Post #178 - February 19th, 2021, 10:44 am
    Post #178 - February 19th, 2021, 10:44 am Post #178 - February 19th, 2021, 10:44 am
    Binko wrote:I know you jest, but Popeyes is named after a character in The French Connection, "Popeye" Doyle. Yes, they did eventually use Popeye the cartoon character in their branding for many years, but (looking it up), they stopped licensing it from King Features Syndicate at the end of 2006.

Al Copeland, a Restaurateur Known for Spice and Speed, Dies at 64
    Mr. Copeland added more than a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a few more secret Cajun-inspired hot spices, changed the name to Popeyes (he said he was too poor to afford an apostrophe) and by the end of the 1980s owned or franchised more than 800 of the restaurants.

The name Popeye did not come from the spinach-eating cartoon character but from the hard-nosed film detective Popeye Doyle in “The French Connection.” Mr. Copeland liked to say he loved speed and other ways of taking spectacular chances. According to The Los Angeles Times in 1997, he once told a restaurant critic, “If you’ve got a dream, you might as well dream big.”

And lose big. Mr. Copeland by 1989 owned the third biggest fried chicken chain in the United States, and borrowed heavily to buy the second-biggest, now called Church’s Chicken. It was too much debt. He soon sought bankruptcy protection.
  • Post #179 - February 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm
    Post #179 - February 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm Post #179 - February 19th, 2021, 12:11 pm
    I worked in on-premise sales for Gallo Wines of Louisiana, a Gallo-owned distributor (unusual) out of college (86-88) and met Al a couple of times—he opened Copeland’s (NOLA-version of Bennigans) while I was in school and the St Charles location when I was working for Gallo. He was quite the character in a sea of eccentric F&B folks. Fun fact—some of their team were the founders of Outback Steakhouse.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #180 - February 23rd, 2021, 5:37 pm
    Post #180 - February 23rd, 2021, 5:37 pm Post #180 - February 23rd, 2021, 5:37 pm
    McDonald’s Joins the Fierce Fight for Chicken Sandwich Supremacy
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/23/busi ... ticleShare
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events