LTH Home

And that's why you never procrastinate (Bonsoiree)

And that's why you never procrastinate (Bonsoiree)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 5 
  • Post #121 - October 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm
    Post #121 - October 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm Post #121 - October 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm
    We ended up going to Cafe Matou. It was just a really, really terrific meal. The seafood crepes were a stand out, as was the the pork and creme brulee. We were a little sad that it was not packed at 7:30 on a Saturday night and are considering taking to the streets to get the word out.
  • Post #122 - November 23rd, 2009, 8:06 pm
    Post #122 - November 23rd, 2009, 8:06 pm Post #122 - November 23rd, 2009, 8:06 pm
    I will be going to Bonsoiree in the coming weeks for dinner, and I see they offer four, seven, and thirteen course options. The thirteen course option is probably out, but I was wondering, for those who have been recently, if they recommend the four or seven course options. I am not a fine dining connoisseur, so I don't have a great range of experience with this type of restaurant. Price is obviously somewhat of a consideration, but I have no problem paying extra for the seven course meal if folks think the experience is worth it. I see one recent poster enjoyed their seven course meal, but I just wanted to get some additional feedback.
  • Post #123 - November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 pm
    Post #123 - November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 pm Post #123 - November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 pm
    Giallo wrote:I will be going to Bonsoiree in the coming weeks for dinner, and I see they offer four, seven, and thirteen course options. The thirteen course option is probably out, but I was wondering, for those who have been recently, if they recommend the four or seven course options. I am not a fine dining connoisseur, so I don't have a great range of experience with this type of restaurant. Price is obviously somewhat of a consideration, but I have no problem paying extra for the seven course meal if folks think the experience is worth it. I see one recent poster enjoyed their seven course meal, but I just wanted to get some additional feedback.

I was at Bonsoiree on Friday night. I usually have the seven course meal and did so on Friday as well. It's an excellent menu option and I highly recommend it. I think it's filling but the portions are laid out well, so it's not too much food. If you've not been to this excellent restaurant before, I think the seven course meal is the way to experience the place for the first time.

Have a great time!
  • Post #124 - November 26th, 2009, 11:00 am
    Post #124 - November 26th, 2009, 11:00 am Post #124 - November 26th, 2009, 11:00 am
    7-course for sure! Just make sure to bring enough wine (we always seem to run out before we finish the meal) :D
  • Post #125 - March 25th, 2010, 8:52 pm
    Post #125 - March 25th, 2010, 8:52 pm Post #125 - March 25th, 2010, 8:52 pm
    I finally made it to Bonsoiree and I'd describe the meal as good, with some highs and some lows. My friend and I ordered the five-course menu. The menu started with a beet salad with a Thai vinaigrette. We both were pretty underwhelmed by this dish. Nothing in particular was wrong - it was just very boring with nothing interesting in the way of texture and nothing I haven't tasted before.

The second course was the scallop and peekytoe crab motoyaki with ponzu and we both agreed it was outstanding (and overheard others similarly glowing about this dish). It was a pretty small taste which was fine given its buttery richness, but wow did it sing. This was easily the best dish of the night, and the only one I would say was excellent.

The third course, unfortunately, also failed to impress. It was a veal and coffee consomme with bittersweet chocolate, mushrooms, a vichyssoise dumpling and shaved black truffle. This dish just didn't come together in any way. The consomme was too light on flavor and with the coffee flavor dominating. The dumpling was nice, but I couldn't figure out how the potato, coffee and mushroom worked together (didn't for me). And the shaved black truffle was shaved in tiny, immovable bits on the lip of the bowl so it really didn't mesh with any of the other flavors. The dumpling was quite tasty, but that's about all that interested me with this dish.

The fourth course was the roasted pork chop on the bone with mascarpone polenta and bacon jus. This was a very good dish, but not great. The polenta was creamy and delicious (about as cream as the creamiest grits I've ever had). And the pork and bacon jus were quite tasty and overall all of the flavors worked well together. The only two problems with the dish were that the pork was slightly overcooked and there were also some over-salted zones on the plate (but not throughout the dish and not confined to any one element).

Dessert was caramelized banana bread pudding with toasted and sweetened walnuts and a white chocolate-pink peppercorn anglaise. I liked, but didn't love this dessert. I really liked the addition of the pink peppercorn here - spicy and floral, it was great. The pudding itself was a bit dry and could have used more banana flavor. But I still enjoyed it.

Service was pleasant and very well informed throughout the evening. And the pacing of the meal was perfect. But overall, while I enjoyed the meal, I would rather have not been served the beet course and the soup course - they ended up detracting from the meal. And if I had been served the remaining three courses for $55, I would tell you that it was a very good meal, but not necessarily a great value, although the free corkage byo policy certainly added to my enjoyment.
  • Post #126 - July 16th, 2010, 7:43 pm
    Post #126 - July 16th, 2010, 7:43 pm Post #126 - July 16th, 2010, 7:43 pm
    Has anyone dined here recently or heard good/bad things about Bonsoiree? The most recent post was a few months ago.

Good place for an anniversary dinner?

Dress code?

If I'm doing the 4-course dinner, would bringing two bottles seem too much? lol

Thanks!
  • Post #127 - July 16th, 2010, 8:13 pm
    Post #127 - July 16th, 2010, 8:13 pm Post #127 - July 16th, 2010, 8:13 pm
    We went a week ago. It's lovely and would be nice for an anniversary. Bring whatever wine you want, no one is judgy :)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #128 - July 16th, 2010, 8:18 pm
    Post #128 - July 16th, 2010, 8:18 pm Post #128 - July 16th, 2010, 8:18 pm
    Ok thanks! Do you think a guy would be sufficiently full after doing the 4-course? Or will we need to have a second meal? lol
  • Post #129 - July 17th, 2010, 5:08 am
    Post #129 - July 17th, 2010, 5:08 am Post #129 - July 17th, 2010, 5:08 am
    spiffytriphy wrote:Ok thanks! Do you think a guy would be sufficiently full after doing the 4-course? Or will we need to have a second meal? lol

I've only had the seven course there and it was the right amount of food. If the course sizes are the same with the four course, I think it might be a little lacking.

spiffytriphy wrote:If I'm doing the 4-course dinner, would bringing two bottles seem too much? lol

My wife and I always allocate one bottle per person for dinner, when eating several courses over a 90 minute or so span. It sounds like a lot, but it never really turns out that way.
  • Post #130 - August 9th, 2010, 4:08 pm
    Post #130 - August 9th, 2010, 4:08 pm Post #130 - August 9th, 2010, 4:08 pm
    I had dinner here last night for No Menu Sundays and had a great experience! $45 for 4-courses is a really great value. The service was friendly and knowledgeable. Our water and wine glasses were never empty. Start-to-finish, the food was delicious. We left completely full. Easy to find street parking. Highly recommend!

Braised octopus.

Zucchini soup.

Pork Chop Carbonara.

Pear Galette.
  • Post #131 - June 24th, 2012, 8:50 am
    Post #131 - June 24th, 2012, 8:50 am Post #131 - June 24th, 2012, 8:50 am
    We had our five-year anniversary dinner here last night. Too much wine and not enough time will prevent me from getting into the details, but I feel compelled to make several points to get Bonsoiree back on the LTH radar.

-The food is still inventive with great execution.

-Though they have a wine program now, they are still BYOB, and still get really excited about paring your bottles.

-6 course underground menu was really 7 courses. Sans details, the main events were: scallop ceviche, ravioli, goat belly in black garlic oil, foie gras (thank you Shin for the lobe, as torchons are my biggest pet peeve), seared halibut, poached langostine, fried zucchini flower stuffed with tapioca, bread pudding, ice cream, chocolates.

-The atmosphere is less alternative (a la schwa) than five years ago, but they still play a good mix of music, and the vibe is still far from stuffy.

-The langostine is the best bite I've had in a year, and the goat belly was the second best bite I've had in a year.

-Get to Bonsoiree.
    "We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF
  • Post #132 - July 12th, 2012, 2:14 pm
    Post #132 - July 12th, 2012, 2:14 pm Post #132 - July 12th, 2012, 2:14 pm
    just got an email from Bonsoiree. Shin Thomposon is leaving and being replaced by Top Chef alum/punching bag Beverly Kim.

http://chicago.grubstreet.com/2012/07/b ... mpson.html

Final Underground with Chef Shin Thompson

Thank you for all of your loyalty. This will be the final Underground Menu for Chef Shin Thompson before we welcome new Chef Beverly Kim along with Husband John Clark. Please join us for this special six course meal on Saturday, July 14, July 21, July 28, August 4, and August 11.
  • Post #133 - July 12th, 2012, 2:36 pm
    Post #133 - July 12th, 2012, 2:36 pm Post #133 - July 12th, 2012, 2:36 pm
    That's too bad. I haven't been to Bonsoiree in a couple of years because they went way too Asian for me, a retreat from the great menus they did in the beginning IMHO. Now that they will be Korean and no BYOB, I guess I can take them out of my contact list completely. :(
  • Post #134 - July 12th, 2012, 4:27 pm
    Post #134 - July 12th, 2012, 4:27 pm Post #134 - July 12th, 2012, 4:27 pm
    And the title of this thread has come full circle.

I didn't read the article yet, so maybe it's been answered, but I wonder what's next for Shin.

Edit: just read the article, and other than being a dad, it sounds like something is in the works...
    "We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more