LTH Home

Burt's Pizza

Burt's Pizza
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
     Page 1 of 11
  • Burt's Pizza

Post #1 - September 27th, 2006, 9:29 pm
    Post #1 - September 27th, 2006, 9:29 pm Post #1 - September 27th, 2006, 9:29 pm
    Seems kind of silly to only talk about Burt's in the Pequod's thread, but there is no thread solely for this restaurant except for the GNR nomination, where posting is restricted.

Anyway, the occasion for starting the thread is merely to point out that Time Out Chicago #83 (9/28-10/4/2006) features Burt's in the Save This Restaurant column.

For those interested, here's a brief synopsis of the lineage of "Starback Pizza" (if that's the appropriate term, it has only come up here on LTH tangentially and isn't used in the TOC article anywhere...)

Time Out Chicago wrote:Burt Katz... bought into Evanstons Inferno in 1963, concocted a pan pizza with a caramelized crust, then sold Inferno and opened Rogers Park's Gulivers in '65. He sold that, opened the original Pequod's in Morton Grove in '71, sold that in '86 and three years later opened Burt's Place.
    As for comparisons between his creation and the others around town, Burt couldn't care less. "When you sell your car, do you check on it every six months? Nope."....

That's all, but now Burt's will have its own thread for whatever else folks come up with.

Burt's Place
    8541 N. Ferris Ave
    Morton Grove, IL
    847-965-7997
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #2 - October 16th, 2006, 8:11 am
    Post #2 - October 16th, 2006, 8:11 am Post #2 - October 16th, 2006, 8:11 am
    Went to Burt's last night for the first time, and I echo other's comments distinguishing it favorably from Pequod's (which previously was my fave pan/deepdish in town). Burt's wife says they've seen an uptick in business since the TimeOut story, though it was empty when my group wandered in.
  • Post #3 - February 23rd, 2007, 9:25 am
    Post #3 - February 23rd, 2007, 9:25 am Post #3 - February 23rd, 2007, 9:25 am
    Hi all,

I've been reading a awhile but making my first post today.

It's funny that for 5+ years I have worked down the street from what I understand to be two great pizza places and haven't been to either. These places would be Burt's and Pequod's Pizza.

Well tonight, we plan on going to Burt's for dinner. I plan on getting a sausage and onion pizza (my favorite).

Any suggestions or must haves?

Thanks,

John
  • Post #4 - February 23rd, 2007, 10:49 am
    Post #4 - February 23rd, 2007, 10:49 am Post #4 - February 23rd, 2007, 10:49 am
    Order a smaller size pizza than you normally would. The pizza is very heavy and quite good.
  • Post #5 - February 23rd, 2007, 11:55 am
    Post #5 - February 23rd, 2007, 11:55 am Post #5 - February 23rd, 2007, 11:55 am
    The onion rings are good. If you order peppers, Burt uses a combo of yellow, red, green and orange peppers.
  • Post #6 - February 23rd, 2007, 11:56 am
    Post #6 - February 23rd, 2007, 11:56 am Post #6 - February 23rd, 2007, 11:56 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:Order a smaller size pizza than you normally would. The pizza is very heavy and quite good.
    I would recommend the opposite; order a larger pizza so you have something to take home for tomorrow's lunch. That seems to be a trend among folks lately. Or if you don't want leftovers, do what jlawrence says.

If you have a particularly sharp appetite tonight, you may want to think about starting with an order of outstanding garlic bread.

Also, be forewarned, Friday nights have been particularly maniacal lately. Best bet is to come in early (Burt opens at 4:30) or wait until after 8:30 (He's open 'til 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays). You would also do well to call ahead with your order (847/965-7997).

If you want the garlic bread, time it out and arrive a bit early so you have time to eat it at a leisurely pace before the pizza comes out of the oven. Whatever time they tell you the pizza will be ready, that is the time, almost down to the second!

Have fun,

Buddy
  • Post #7 - February 24th, 2007, 4:03 pm
    Post #7 - February 24th, 2007, 4:03 pm Post #7 - February 24th, 2007, 4:03 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:Order a smaller size pizza than you normally would. The pizza is very heavy and quite good.

I would recommend the opposite; order a larger pizza so you have something to take home for tomorrow's lunch.

I second Buddy's recommendation, especially for folks who travel a distance to visit Burt's, or don't get there often for another reason. My wife an I order a large and take about half the pie home.

Burt's pizza makes an excellent leftover lunch (or even breakfast). I use a "fry pan oven" to reheat it to perfection on the stove top. It's thisclose to being as good the next day as it was fresh out of the oven.

Enjoy.
  • Post #8 - February 24th, 2007, 7:29 pm
    Post #8 - February 24th, 2007, 7:29 pm Post #8 - February 24th, 2007, 7:29 pm
    We had an LTH event there back in November. I stopped after two pieces and was stuffed ... so the group went to H-Mart for a couple of hours and worked it off (g).

I would agree that leftovers for lunch would be a good idea.

It is one of the first Chicago pizzas that I really enjoyed.
  • Post #9 - February 24th, 2007, 7:30 pm
    Post #9 - February 24th, 2007, 7:30 pm Post #9 - February 24th, 2007, 7:30 pm
    Don't know if I agree with ordering more to take home. I've only been there once, but my experience tells me that if your order more you'll just eat more because it's so good. I could barely walk to the car I was so stuffed. I just couldn't stop eating.

Seriously, it's probably a good idea. Just don't be surprised if you waddle out of there.
  • Post #10 - March 8th, 2007, 7:08 pm
    Post #10 - March 8th, 2007, 7:08 pm Post #10 - March 8th, 2007, 7:08 pm
    I used to go to Pequod's often back in the late '70s to mid-'80s when Burt owned it. My stepdad knew Burt and we always enjoyed getting a tour of the radio collection in the back room, and the caramelized crust and quality sausage was amazing.

I'd been to Pequod's a few times since then, but I didn't know about Burt's Place until I read the article in Time Out Chicago.

Last night I went to Burt's for the first time with a friend of mine who used to go to there with me in high school. It was wonderful, and yes, the pizza is really good the second day, but you have to be careful not to eat it all when you're there.
  • Post #11 - March 8th, 2007, 10:18 pm
    Post #11 - March 8th, 2007, 10:18 pm Post #11 - March 8th, 2007, 10:18 pm
    Welcome to LTH!

You really have to thank Buddyroadhouse who alerted us a year ago about Burt's. Buddy works weekend's at Burts and sells BBQ sauce by day.

Buddy challenged us to try Burt's citing it was Pequod's pizza circa 1985. Several people here tried it, who would have been just as happy if Buddy had been wrong. However, the difference in the pies was very, very convincing statement all by itself.

Thank you for highlighting your experience, especially since you knew Pequod's under Burt's reign.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #12 - March 8th, 2007, 10:27 pm
    Post #12 - March 8th, 2007, 10:27 pm Post #12 - March 8th, 2007, 10:27 pm
    A hearty thanks to Buddyroadhouse!

- Chris
  • Post #13 - March 9th, 2007, 2:34 am
    Post #13 - March 9th, 2007, 2:34 am Post #13 - March 9th, 2007, 2:34 am
    Burt's pizza sounds great. What's the restaurant like? A sit-down kinda place like Malnatti's? I couldn't find a website.
  • Post #14 - March 9th, 2007, 3:49 am
    Post #14 - March 9th, 2007, 3:49 am Post #14 - March 9th, 2007, 3:49 am
    grant wrote:Burt's pizza sounds great. What's the restaurant like? A sit-down kinda place like Malnatti's? I couldn't find a website.

Website? Bwa-ha-haha-ha! Burt still uses a rotary dial phone and the phone number is not even listed (which is ironic since they prefer that you call ahead to place your order).

As great as the pizza is, I find that the appeal of Burt's extends far beyond the food. It's not a bustling spot like Malnati's, even when every table is full. It has a comfy decor featuring old radios and cool old newspaper articles. The lights are dim and the tone tends to be pretty cozy and quiet. Classical music plays over the radio and there are no televisions. Dinner at Burt's Place is about as close to authentic time travel as you are going to get--I imagine the dining experience you get now is identical to one you would have had thrity years ago.

They offer couple of beers and I think a couple of wines by the glass. The red wine is a Burgundy (whatever that connotes for you).
  • Post #15 - March 9th, 2007, 9:59 am
    Post #15 - March 9th, 2007, 9:59 am Post #15 - March 9th, 2007, 9:59 am
    Is Burts closed on certain days? I've stopped by with friends a couple times in the last couple weeks but Burt's was closed each time. Was I dreaming?
  • Post #16 - March 9th, 2007, 10:04 am
    Post #16 - March 9th, 2007, 10:04 am Post #16 - March 9th, 2007, 10:04 am
    Hours are Wednesday through Sunday, aren't they?
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #17 - March 9th, 2007, 10:15 am
    Post #17 - March 9th, 2007, 10:15 am Post #17 - March 9th, 2007, 10:15 am
    Lunch: Wednesday through Friday 11am to 1:30pm

Dinner: Sunday, Wednesday & Thursday 4:30pm to 9pm
    Friday & Saturday 4:30pm to 10pm

Excellent Pizza.

John
  • Post #18 - March 9th, 2007, 1:58 pm
    Post #18 - March 9th, 2007, 1:58 pm Post #18 - March 9th, 2007, 1:58 pm
    I have not been to Burt's yet, but it's on my list. I grew up in Skokie and spent many Friday nights at Pequod in MG, so I'm sure that i will love Burt's.

i did have a chance to go to the Pequod on Clybourn a few weeks back with my wife. Good pizza but it lacks the atmosphere of the MG location. i did have a chance to meet the current owner and talk with him for a while. nice guy.
    ...ron
  • Post #19 - March 9th, 2007, 2:20 pm
    Post #19 - March 9th, 2007, 2:20 pm Post #19 - March 9th, 2007, 2:20 pm
    OK....ssshhhhhh....lets's keep Burt's on the "down-low". I live five minutes away and my family and I have been regulars for the past 8 years or so. Many a time we were the only customers in the place on a Saturday night, so Burt and Sharon would pull up a chair and shmooze with us during dinner. When my kids hit town it's a given that Burt's will be one of their lunch/dinner stops. Actually, I am glad to see that it's finally getting the recognition is deserves. Full tables are the reward for doing things right....
  • Post #20 - March 9th, 2007, 6:18 pm
    Post #20 - March 9th, 2007, 6:18 pm Post #20 - March 9th, 2007, 6:18 pm
    LuvstoEat wrote:OK....ssshhhhhh....lets's keep Burt's on the "down-low". I live five minutes away and my family and I have been regulars for the past 8 years or so. Many a time we were the only customers in the place on a Saturday night, so Burt and Sharon would pull up a chair and shmooze with us during dinner. When my kids hit town it's a given that Burt's will be one of their lunch/dinner stops. Actually, I am glad to see that it's finally getting the recognition is deserves. Full tables are the reward for doing things right....

Yea, I went in there on a Wed. afternoon and my wife and I were the only ones there. It was a little surreal to tell you the truth.
  • Post #21 - March 11th, 2007, 7:35 am
    Post #21 - March 11th, 2007, 7:35 am Post #21 - March 11th, 2007, 7:35 am
    Petit Pois and I enjoyed a spur-of-the moment dinner at Burt's last night. We finally met BuddyRoadhouse whose energy kept the place running smoothly.

We went with my favorite toppings (for an American-style pizza): Sausage, mushroom, onion, and fresh jalapeno (a nice addition to Burt's menu) a delicious combo at Burt's. I was also pleased to find Burt's offering a microbrew from Cleveland, Burning River Pale Ale, a mild, fruity, pale ale.

Also, it was a treat to see Burt's GNR award as the entire first page of the in-house menu.

While we were eating dinner, we were talking about all the people we know who would enjoy a visit to Burt's. Going down the list of friends and relatives who have never been there, we realized that we were listing everyone we knew :)

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #22 - March 11th, 2007, 8:04 am
    Post #22 - March 11th, 2007, 8:04 am Post #22 - March 11th, 2007, 8:04 am
    Going down the list of friends and relatives who have never been there, we realized that we were listing everyone we knew

Yes, in the life beyond LTHforum. :)

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #23 - March 11th, 2007, 8:22 am
    Post #23 - March 11th, 2007, 8:22 am Post #23 - March 11th, 2007, 8:22 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Going down the list of friends and relatives who have never been there, we realized that we were listing everyone we knew

Yes, in the life beyond LTHforum. :)

Regards,

Yes, to be more specific, we were listing our friends and family who do not share our culinary obsession. ;)
  • Post #24 - March 20th, 2007, 9:34 pm
    Post #24 - March 20th, 2007, 9:34 pm Post #24 - March 20th, 2007, 9:34 pm
    My Customary Dining Companion and I visited Burt's on Sunday evening, and had a great time. We shared a loaf of cheese garlic bread, a large sassich pie and a couple of Burning River Pale Ales, but just as important, a great conversation with both Burt and Buddy Roadhouse about all kinds of interesting stuff. Great evening, great food, and great company - plus I came away with a bottle of Buddy's newest BBQ sauce, "Southern Sunset," a tasty vinegar-y Carolina-style sauce that can be used as a marinade in addition to a mop sauce. I've got a pork t-loin thawing as we speak, and I intend to marinate and grill it tomorrow.

A good time had by all, and certainly well worth the trip to Morton Grove. Go! Now! (well, ok - tomorrow might be better, considering that it's late, not to mention that Burt's isn't open on Tuesday, anyway...) 8)
  • Post #25 - March 21st, 2007, 7:33 am
    Post #25 - March 21st, 2007, 7:33 am Post #25 - March 21st, 2007, 7:33 am
    Is Burt's any good "to go" or is it that much better to eat right in the restaurant? I'm making my maiden voyage this Friday around 9pm and wanted to get it to go.
  • Post #26 - March 21st, 2007, 7:38 am
    Post #26 - March 21st, 2007, 7:38 am Post #26 - March 21st, 2007, 7:38 am
    I think it'd travel as well as any other deep dish, which is, pretty well, but I have to say, it's not just that the pizza is really good, it's the whole Burt's experience....
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #27 - March 21st, 2007, 7:39 am
    Post #27 - March 21st, 2007, 7:39 am Post #27 - March 21st, 2007, 7:39 am
    rdstoll wrote:Is Burt's any good "to go" or is it that much better to eat right in the restaurant? I'm making my maiden voyage this Friday around 9pm and wanted to get it to go.

Since Burt's pizza is a thick, hearty, casserole-style pizza, I think it travels pretty well.

One other thing we've discovered is that it freezes well too. After our last trip to Burt's, we had a few slices left over and our meals for the immediate future were already planned out, so we wrapped 'em tightly in foil, into a freezer bag, and popped 'em in the freezer.

They reheated very well in the oven.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #28 - March 21st, 2007, 10:05 am
    Post #28 - March 21st, 2007, 10:05 am Post #28 - March 21st, 2007, 10:05 am
    I haven't been able to re-crisp the crust when taking out from Burt's. To me, the crunchy, deeply browned crust is Burt's triumph. Plus, Sharon and Burt are so engaging.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #29 - March 21st, 2007, 11:08 am
    Post #29 - March 21st, 2007, 11:08 am Post #29 - March 21st, 2007, 11:08 am
    rdstoll wrote:Is Burt's any good "to go" or is it that much better to eat right in the restaurant? I'm making my maiden voyage this Friday around 9pm and wanted to get it to go.
    While we do a brisk carryout business, Burt will always encourage first time diners to eat it in house. Pizza is always better fresh out of the oven.

If you're in a hurry or just don't like to wait while the pizza bakes, you can always call ahead of time and place your order to "eat in". In fact, based on Burt's Friday 10pm closing time, if you are wanting a pizza around 9:00, you would do well to call ahead. If you decide to eat in at 9pm on a Friday you will have the store pretty much to yourself and have the opportunity to chat with Burt and Sharon. Don't be shy about mentioning LTH.

Have fun,

Buddy
  • Post #30 - March 22nd, 2007, 6:22 am
    Post #30 - March 22nd, 2007, 6:22 am Post #30 - March 22nd, 2007, 6:22 am
    From another thread*
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:Midas, thanks to G Wiv's visits to Burt's and his penchant for all things hot, Burt now carries two different habanero sauces for those who want something over and above the typical crushed red peppers to sprinkle on their pizza.

He also now uses fresh jalapenos and banana peppers as opposed to the brined variety. Occasionally he will even have a fresh habanero or two lying around. If you want something with a "little more spicing to it", don't be afraid to ask. Frankly, I apologize for not offering it to you in the first place.

Buddy,

Had a very enjoyable meal last evening at Burt's and can attest he completely embraced the heat, next thing you know he will have a meditation mat with Be One With the Habenero. :) I brought my own habanero, but Burt had jalapeno and a few types of El Yucateco on hand. Pizza was Burt-a-Rific and Burt and Sharon engaging as always.

Burt's Pizza w/fresh habanero

Of course, for those who still have not been to Burt's, there are any number of non spicy options available, there were five of us last evening, we had three medium pizzas, only one was spicy, all three terrific.

Buddy, you should appreciate this picture, falling squarely under the heading of things I never thought I'd see. Burt talking on a cell phone. :shock:

Far as not telling Rachael Ray about Burt's as they are already insanely busy, that was not the case last night. We were there from 7:30 on and only one other table of eat-in and a few pick-ups.

Enjoy,
    Gary

*I thought it best to post in Germuska's Burt's thread as opposed to the Pequod's with Burt's intertwined
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more