LTH Home

Burt's Pizza

Burt's Pizza
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 2 of 11
  • Post #31 - March 22nd, 2007, 11:18 am
    Post #31 - March 22nd, 2007, 11:18 am Post #31 - March 22nd, 2007, 11:18 am
    G Wiv wrote:Buddy, you should appreciate this picture, falling squarely under the heading of things I never thought I'd see. Burt talking on a cell phone. :shock:
    Oh my God, I cannot remember the last time I laughed that hard or that long. Too, too funny. As that image scrolled up on my screen revealing the image of Burt with a cell phone plastered to his ear I thought I had entered the Twilight Zone.

What were the circumstances leading up to that moment? What possible emregency; what dire occurence had taken place that would cause the Last Remaining Luddite to pick up a cellphone? Had the Russians finally invaded? The Stock Market collapsed? The beer taps were clogged and he needed a repairman, stat?!?

Gary, thank you for that amazing, impossible photo. At last, I've got something to taunt him with!

Buddy
  • Post #32 - March 22nd, 2007, 11:50 am
    Post #32 - March 22nd, 2007, 11:50 am Post #32 - March 22nd, 2007, 11:50 am
    Burt claimed, and I have no reason to doubt this, that this was the first time he had ever talked on a cell phone.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #33 - March 22nd, 2007, 7:22 pm
    Post #33 - March 22nd, 2007, 7:22 pm Post #33 - March 22nd, 2007, 7:22 pm
    I bet we see Burt in a skybox at Wrigley this summer! :wink:
  • Post #34 - March 22nd, 2007, 7:43 pm
    Post #34 - March 22nd, 2007, 7:43 pm Post #34 - March 22nd, 2007, 7:43 pm
    Gary,

Do they have habanero's there or did you bring your own?
  • Post #35 - March 22nd, 2007, 9:52 pm
    Post #35 - March 22nd, 2007, 9:52 pm Post #35 - March 22nd, 2007, 9:52 pm
    sundevilpeg wrote:I bet we see Burt in a skybox at Wrigley this summer! :wink:
    That is funny on so many levels, you don't even know! If that should happen (have no fear, it won't), start looking for the Antichrist and other telltale signs of the Apocalypse.
    Snark wrote:Gary,

Do they have habanero's there or did you bring your own?
    Burt has fresh jalapenos and two kinds of habanero sauces; red and green. You've got to bring your own fresh habaneros.

Buddy
  • Post #36 - March 23rd, 2007, 4:32 am
    Post #36 - March 23rd, 2007, 4:32 am Post #36 - March 23rd, 2007, 4:32 am
    Snark wrote:Do they have habanero's there or did you bring your own?

Bill,

As I mention upthread, Burt's had jalapeno and two types of habanero hot sauce on hand, I brought the fresh habeneros with me.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #37 - March 24th, 2007, 5:09 pm
    Post #37 - March 24th, 2007, 5:09 pm Post #37 - March 24th, 2007, 5:09 pm
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:What were the circumstances leading up to that moment? What possible emregency; what dire occurence had taken place that would cause the Last Remaining Luddite to pick up a cellphone? Had the Russians finally invaded? The Stock Market collapsed? The beer taps were clogged and he needed a repairman, stat?!?

Gotta fess up. I'd called Gary from California to tell him I couldn't be at Burt's that evening*-- he put me on the phone to Burt. I sincerely hope that Burt has not been corrupted by this experience. I guess I should have used my Hamm radio.

* due to my plans to follow in PIGMON's and Erik M.'s XLB-driven footsteps.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #38 - March 24th, 2007, 11:40 pm
    Post #38 - March 24th, 2007, 11:40 pm Post #38 - March 24th, 2007, 11:40 pm
    I presented Burt with a copy of the infamous image tonight and was met with a broad smile and a hearty laugh. He indicated you were the siren that called him to the rocky shores of his cellphone deflowering.

BTW, we were busy again this evening (and Friday as well from all reports) with at least four tables of LTHers on hand; three of them all at once, all lined up at the three booths along the north wall, back to back to back. Too funny!

Nice to see one and all!

Buddy
  • Post #39 - March 25th, 2007, 9:24 am
    Post #39 - March 25th, 2007, 9:24 am Post #39 - March 25th, 2007, 9:24 am
    I was one of the back to back LTH booths. I think Buddy sold four bottles of BBQ to the curious. Dining room was awsome- you sure know that you are not at Fridays. Two of us had an XXL Sausage and Pepper pizza. We should eat for four days. Great balance on the pie. I thought I would have wanted more cheese and sausage but it was perfect. Interior crust could have been slightly crisper-- maybe due to the immense size. BTW it crisped perfectly on a silpat at 375 this morning. Budget is not that important to me this was an amazing deal:

XXL pizza with two toppings
    two sodas (longer story)
    one salad
    garlic bread with cheese
    one BBQ sauce to take home
    tip

$40.00

I kept doing the 20% tip im my brain bc it seemed to short for what we had and took home.

babaluch
  • Post #40 - March 25th, 2007, 11:33 am
    Post #40 - March 25th, 2007, 11:33 am Post #40 - March 25th, 2007, 11:33 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:
    rdstoll wrote:If you're in a hurry or just don't like to wait while the pizza bakes, you can always call ahead of time and place your order to "eat in". Have fun,

I haven't been to Burt's too many times, but now I call ahead. Burt and Sharon are so friendly, they make you feel as though you are visiting there home. Seems impolite to just show up.
  • Post #41 - March 25th, 2007, 12:37 pm
    Post #41 - March 25th, 2007, 12:37 pm Post #41 - March 25th, 2007, 12:37 pm
    babaluch wrote: Interior crust could have been slightly crisper-- maybe due to the immense size.
    I've got to agree with you up to a point on this. It has been my experience since we instituted the XL and XXL sizes that, if you want a crisper crust, the largest size to go for is the XL. This is mostly true of the XXL pizzas that are loaded with ingredients, particularly veggies as they will render quite a bit of water. If you get a straight cheese, pepperoni, or sausage pizza you are less likely to get the limp crust.

You can overcome the soggy crust of the XXL by asking for it to be cooked "well done". This is not a good option for a cheese pizza for the reason stated above; the top could possibly burn before you get the desired well done effect on the bottom.

Glad you had a good time. We enjoyed meeting all the new LTH folks last night and evey night. Don't be shy about introducing yourselves.

Buddy
  • Post #42 - March 25th, 2007, 8:44 pm
    Post #42 - March 25th, 2007, 8:44 pm Post #42 - March 25th, 2007, 8:44 pm
    We were also there Saturday night. First booth on the left. My husband and I were in from WI and my brother took us there. When my brother ordered Burning River he asked us right away if we were from LTH. My poor husband didn't have a clue what he was talking about. We had an XL with sausage, onion and mixed peppers. Excellent pizza. I savored my 2nd piece because I knew I could eat no more. We bought 3 bottles of sauce.
    We are in Chicago a lot. My Mom died last year and we are fixing up her house in Rogers Park to sell. We will be back to Burt's again. It was probably one of the best pizzas I have ever had. My brother and I read this board all the time and have eaten at many places you have suggested. Thanks!
    ELLEN
    RAISED IN ROGERS PARK SJS CLASS OF 70
    LIVING IN NORTH CENTRAL WI SINCE 1987
  • Post #43 - March 25th, 2007, 8:58 pm
    Post #43 - March 25th, 2007, 8:58 pm Post #43 - March 25th, 2007, 8:58 pm
    WIGIRL,

Is your husband now clued in now on your side interest? :) Interesting how your husband's choice in beer was interpreted as a secret handshake!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #44 - March 25th, 2007, 9:39 pm
    Post #44 - March 25th, 2007, 9:39 pm Post #44 - March 25th, 2007, 9:39 pm
    My husband now understands what LTH forum is but it was really funny that he didn't have a clue. He actually had talked to my brother and said we were going for pizza in MG and I knew it was either Burt's or Pequods!
    ELLEN
    RAISED IN ROGERS PARK SJS CLASS OF 70
    LIVING IN NORTH CENTRAL WI SINCE 1987
  • Post #45 - March 25th, 2007, 10:33 pm
    Post #45 - March 25th, 2007, 10:33 pm Post #45 - March 25th, 2007, 10:33 pm
    Did he notice the big LTH GNR first page of the menu?
  • Post #46 - March 26th, 2007, 11:53 am
    Post #46 - March 26th, 2007, 11:53 am Post #46 - March 26th, 2007, 11:53 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Interesting how your husband's choice in beer was interpreted as a secret handshake!
    I knew they were LTHers because they asked for Burning River without asking for the rundown of what was available. We haven't publicized that we carry BR beer and the only way they could have known about it was through eatchicago's earlier post in this thread praising it.

For what it's worth, when Burt owned Pequod's he was the first restaurant in the area to carry Leinenkugel's back in the mid-70s. It quickly became our most popular beer (I think people just liked saying the name), outselling Heinekin's and all the other imports we carried back then. It would seem that Burning River is poised to grab the same popularity today.

Buddy
  • Post #47 - March 26th, 2007, 4:50 pm
    Post #47 - March 26th, 2007, 4:50 pm Post #47 - March 26th, 2007, 4:50 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Buddy, you should appreciate this picture, falling squarely under the heading of things I never thought I'd see. Burt talking on a cell phone. :shock:

Enjoy,
    Gary

Hmmm... Posting that photo with Burt's pit-stained t-shirt may not be doing him any favors.
    ...Pedro
  • Post #48 - March 26th, 2007, 4:55 pm
    Post #48 - March 26th, 2007, 4:55 pm Post #48 - March 26th, 2007, 4:55 pm
    I know! It's so gauche to sweat when working near a pizza oven!
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #49 - March 28th, 2007, 3:53 pm
    Post #49 - March 28th, 2007, 3:53 pm Post #49 - March 28th, 2007, 3:53 pm
    Hi all,

I was just wondering what the capacity is for Burt's.

A co-worker just sent an email syaing they were interested in getting together for a going away lunch. He suggested some stupid place at the corner of Dempster and Austin (Giordano's).

I said I'd go if we go to Burt's. He asked if I was working on commission, as I have been making copies of Burt's menu and leaving them out in our Kitchen. I work at Schwarz Paper, btw.

We could fit 20 people in there, right? Of course we would call ahead.

Thanks,

John
  • Post #50 - March 28th, 2007, 3:57 pm
    Post #50 - March 28th, 2007, 3:57 pm Post #50 - March 28th, 2007, 3:57 pm
    jkseger wrote:We could fit 20 people in there, right? Of course we would call ahead.

I would say "yes", but it makes the most sense to just call Burt and Sharon and ask them:

847-965-7997

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #51 - March 28th, 2007, 4:59 pm
    Post #51 - March 28th, 2007, 4:59 pm Post #51 - March 28th, 2007, 4:59 pm
    Hi,

Josephine organized dinner on a Wednesday night for 14 people. We did not take over the whole space. Twenty could be easily accomodated, though how many more thereafter needs Burt's response.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #52 - March 28th, 2007, 5:31 pm
    Post #52 - March 28th, 2007, 5:31 pm Post #52 - March 28th, 2007, 5:31 pm
    jkseger wrote:A co-worker just sent an email syaing they were interested in getting together for a going away lunch. He suggested some stupid place at the corner of Dempster and Austin (Giordano's).

I said I'd go if we go to Burt's. He asked if I was working on commission, as I have been making copies of Burt's menu and leaving them out in our Kitchen. I work at Schwarz Paper, btw.

We could fit 20 people in there, right? Of course we would call ahead.

I don't think Burt's Place is normally open for lunch - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this - so you would need to ask them if they could open for your party. The good news is, if they are willing, you can have the entire place to yourself.

Also they are normally closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
  • Post #53 - March 28th, 2007, 5:38 pm
    Post #53 - March 28th, 2007, 5:38 pm Post #53 - March 28th, 2007, 5:38 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:I don't think Burt's Place is normally open for lunch - someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this -

You are wrong about this.

Burt's Pizza
    8541 N. Ferris
    Morton Grove, IL
    847-965-7997

Lunch Wed, Thu, Fri 11:00am-1:30pm
    Dinner Sun,Wed,Thu 4:30pm-9:00pm
    Dinner Fri, Sat 4:30pm-10:00pm
    CLOSED Mon, Tue
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #54 - March 28th, 2007, 6:40 pm
    Post #54 - March 28th, 2007, 6:40 pm Post #54 - March 28th, 2007, 6:40 pm
    Burt's will comfortably hold 35 people. Twenty people at lunch should not be a problem. You will definitely want to call in your order ahead of time both for his benefit and yours.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to have a party for 20 people, Burt would open up on a Monday or Tuesday for a private party. If you have the party on one of his regular business days you will have to share the room with any walk in customers. Not a big deal since lunches are not especially strong. However if that matters to you, I would inquire about having the place to yourself on one of those two days.

Hope that helps.

Buddy
  • Post #55 - March 29th, 2007, 8:44 am
    Post #55 - March 29th, 2007, 8:44 am Post #55 - March 29th, 2007, 8:44 am
    G Wiv wrote:You are wrong about this.

Thanks. That's the first time I've seen that version of Burt's hours. Every time I search to look up the hours, the only version I can find is on Centerstage, which doesn't say anything about lunch (and has the days of the week wrong, too). The difficulty in finding accurate information is one of the downsides a place that doesn't have its own website or a listing on Metromix. I bet I'm not the only one who tried going there on a Monday/Tuesday only to find that they were closed.
  • Post #56 - March 29th, 2007, 9:02 am
    Post #56 - March 29th, 2007, 9:02 am Post #56 - March 29th, 2007, 9:02 am
    nsxtasy wrote:Thanks. That's the first time I've seen that version of Burt's hours.

You should have checked LTH Forum.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #57 - March 29th, 2007, 11:06 am
    Post #57 - March 29th, 2007, 11:06 am Post #57 - March 29th, 2007, 11:06 am
    Thanks everyone for you thoughts on number of people in a party.

We didn't get the type of response we thought we were going to get so there'll just be 7-8 of us heading over there.

Placed the order and should be eating in about 30 minutes. mmmmm

John
  • Post #58 - March 31st, 2007, 9:56 pm
    Post #58 - March 31st, 2007, 9:56 pm Post #58 - March 31st, 2007, 9:56 pm
    The Lovely Donna and I tried Burt's for the first time this evening, and I've got to say that we weren't impressed.

I thought that the burnt edge of the crust was the most interesting part of the pie, but unfortunately as the place started to get busy, I think our pie was sort of a rush job as in a bit undercooked. There was almost none of the charred crust that I've read about.

And that's what I liked about the pie. I want to say that it wasn't bad in any way...it's just that nothing about it would bring me back for another taste.

As far as what I didn't like: nondescript tomato sauce, bland cheese, pepperoni that tasted like the institutional pre sliced stuff, big chunks of sausage with no discernable Italian seasonings like fennel or red pepper flakes. I can't complain about the peppers, mushrooms or onions. We asked for garlic and I'm sure there wasn't any on our pie as requested. And no anchovies...?

The slightly undercooked crust reminded me of a "Bisquick" pizza that I was served at a friend's house back in the seventies...big and doughy.

We had half of an XL pie left and knew that we didn't want any more, but we took it to go as not to offend anyone. I ended up giving it to one of the street people near Dearborn and Congress.

:twisted:
  • Post #59 - March 31st, 2007, 11:54 pm
    Post #59 - March 31st, 2007, 11:54 pm Post #59 - March 31st, 2007, 11:54 pm
    You did go to Burt's in Morton Grove, right?

I don't disagree that sometimes the crust is a little underdone, but as previously discussed here, that happens with an XL. You have to request it well-done. Bisquick dough? Correct me if I'm wrong, Buddy, but doesn't Burt make his dough almost like a bagel dough? That's far off from Bisquick.

Bland sausage? I think Burt uses some the best sausage for pizza there is. Big hand-formed chunks, rich flavor- I don't think it's heavily spiced, but that's why you get whatever hot peppers Burt's has on hand or sprinkle red pepper flakes.

Man, I bet those street people enjoyed it.
  • Post #60 - April 1st, 2007, 7:57 am
    Post #60 - April 1st, 2007, 7:57 am Post #60 - April 1st, 2007, 7:57 am
    Husband and I were at Burt's last night for the first time too. Actually, we were the last table to leave. When we arrived, all but one table was full. It looked to me like everyone had come in at approx. the same time. Sharon, Buddy, and Burt were really hustling and pizzas were coming out of the kitchen one after the other. We had a very enjoyable experience, in part, I think, because we followed Buddy's advice for Fri/Sat night at Burt's - we came at 8pm and we had pre-ordered our pizza. I had called in our order on Friday afternoon, which I think Burt found a little amusing. A big advantage to coming later was that by the end of our meal Burt was able to come out of the kitchen and sit down and chat with us for awhile. Given the chance, I could pick his brain about the restaurant business for hours. We thought it was very cool of him to take the time with 2 strangers after what had clearly been an exhausting day.
    BTW, our pizza was done perfectly, with plenty of char, but we did have a large, not an XL. Halfway through his first piece, Husband anounced he thought he could eat 4 pieces. He barely made it through 2!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more