LTH Home

Bagels: New York Bagel and Bialy

Bagels: New York Bagel and Bialy
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - October 12th, 2023, 11:24 am
    Post #211 - October 12th, 2023, 11:24 am Post #211 - October 12th, 2023, 11:24 am
    budrichard wrote:G WIV, what day and time did you go?

I typically go NYBB Touhy mid to late afternoon.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #212 - October 13th, 2023, 9:37 am
    Post #212 - October 13th, 2023, 9:37 am Post #212 - October 13th, 2023, 9:37 am
    Thank you.
  • Post #213 - October 13th, 2023, 11:44 am
    Post #213 - October 13th, 2023, 11:44 am Post #213 - October 13th, 2023, 11:44 am
    budrichard wrote:Thank you.

I see you also asked what day. I try to go on a weekday and try to avoid weekends way too crowded on the weekends. Though no matter the day. I always end up waiting 10, 15, 20 minutes.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #214 - October 14th, 2023, 12:15 pm
    Post #214 - October 14th, 2023, 12:15 pm Post #214 - October 14th, 2023, 12:15 pm
    It had been years since my one and only visit to Steingold's. It was in 2017 at their old location on Irving Park. I wasn't wowed but recent posts on this thread had me feeling like I should, at the very least, try their bagels again.

Flash forward almost exactly 6 years and my son, who lives near enough to their new location on Southport, brought home a variety of items, including bagels, the other day. Tried sesame, plain and everything. ~$23 for a baker's dozen didn't seem way out of whack in the current climate.

For me, the bagels were fine. They kind of reminded me a bit of Panera's bagels. Nice looking, very uniform in size, shape and finish, relatively large, a bit on the puffy side, well covered in toppings, a weak shell-to-interior textural contrast and somewhat bland. They just lacked a little something for me both on the texture and flavor side. If I lived nearby, I could see this being an occasional stop but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

I agree with what Joan posted above about Reno. I think their bagels are great but it's nowhere near home, their hours are difficult (bordering on mysterious) and I prefer more traditional, less-hipster toppings. But at their core, they're excellent bagels.

I've worked myself into a bit of a tizzy over this. I was lunching at Psistaria the other day, after which a stop across the street at NYBB used to be cursory. On this occasion, the very thought of going over there irritated me. Instead, after lunch I drove back to my desk bagel-less. Hoping to eventually get over my irrationality.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #215 - October 28th, 2023, 12:51 pm
    Post #215 - October 28th, 2023, 12:51 pm Post #215 - October 28th, 2023, 12:51 pm
    Today 9:10am, about 12 individuals waiting in line.
    No one had a smile on their face.
    Surreal!
    Same routine, server would take order for both bagels and sandwiches and go-withs.
    Put bagels in bag and then make whatever sandwich was wanted and fill deli containers.
    3 or 4 servers.
    Took 11 minutes before I could place my order.
    4% surcharge for credit card.
    I felt like I was either in an episode of CheezeBorger CheezeBorger on SNL or trying to purchase soup in NYC, “No soup for you”!
    13 bagels in the bag and I was back to reality!
    I have Belly Lox from Russ & Daughters in the freezer left over from Mother’s Day.
    I will use commercial cream cheese as I did not want to wait for handpacked and risk my luck.
    -Richard
  • Post #216 - October 28th, 2023, 6:10 pm
    Post #216 - October 28th, 2023, 6:10 pm Post #216 - October 28th, 2023, 6:10 pm
    budrichard wrote:Today 9:10am, about 12 individuals waiting in line.
    No one had a smile on their face.
    Surreal!
    Thanks for reaffirming my luck that the Dempster location exists. In and out at 10am this morning, no wait at all.
  • Post #217 - October 29th, 2023, 10:10 am
    Post #217 - October 29th, 2023, 10:10 am Post #217 - October 29th, 2023, 10:10 am
    budrichard wrote:I will use commercial cream cheese as I did not want to wait for handpacked and risk my luck.

NYBB Touhy typically has repacked (recently prepacked) containers of the standard, plain/chive cream cheese. I typically get a large plain cream cheese with my order and never, or rarely, see them fill the container. No additional wait, in other words.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #218 - November 30th, 2023, 2:46 pm
    Post #218 - November 30th, 2023, 2:46 pm Post #218 - November 30th, 2023, 2:46 pm
    For those interested, as of this week, the Skokie location of New York Bagel and Bialy now accepts credit cards!

The proprietors are adding a 4% service fee to offset their costs for use of a credit card.

As someone who has to actually think about getting cash in order to get my bagels there, I am OK with this, although there are other folks (Forza Meats e.g.) who have a more reasonable 2.5% upcharge for using credit.
  • Post #219 - December 1st, 2023, 12:13 am
    Post #219 - December 1st, 2023, 12:13 am Post #219 - December 1st, 2023, 12:13 am
    rfleisch1 wrote:The proprietors are adding a 4% service fee to offset their costs for use of a credit card.

May seem unfriendly to some, but when adding up ATM and bank fees, for those who are short on cash and aren't putting in a huge order, that 4% surcharge is usually going to be a better deal than slinking over to the on-site ATM.
  • Post #220 - December 1st, 2023, 12:54 am
    Post #220 - December 1st, 2023, 12:54 am Post #220 - December 1st, 2023, 12:54 am
    PeteF wrote:
    rfleisch1 wrote:The proprietors are adding a 4% service fee to offset their costs for use of a credit card.

May seem unfriendly to some, but when adding up ATM and bank fees, for those who are short on cash and aren't putting in a huge order, that 4% surcharge is usually going to be a better deal than slinking over to the on-site ATM.

I don't like it. While it may be cheaper for some (ill-prepared) customers than an ATM, my guess is that it's probably about twice what NYBB is being charged by their bank in processing fees. Pass the fee through, fine but profiting on it seems usury to me.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #221 - December 1st, 2023, 4:10 pm
    Post #221 - December 1st, 2023, 4:10 pm Post #221 - December 1st, 2023, 4:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    I don't like it. While it may be cheaper for some (ill-prepared) customers than an ATM, my guess is that it's probably about twice what NYBB is being charged by their bank in processing fees. Pass the fee through, fine but profiting on it seems usury to me.

=R=

Small businesses face much higher rates than the folks who have the volume to negotiate directly with Visa and Mastercard.

While online published rates are usually between 1.5 and 2.25 percent, low volume businesses are often charged closer to 3 percent. They may make a little more profit, but it is not exorbitant.
  • Post #222 - December 16th, 2023, 5:51 pm
    Post #222 - December 16th, 2023, 5:51 pm Post #222 - December 16th, 2023, 5:51 pm
    Weekly run to NYBB on Touhy. 3pm on Saturday surprisingly just a short wait. Got my usual, dozen onion bialys, a few raisin for the bride, plain cream cheese, nova lox and a mish-mosh for the baker’s dozen free one.

I had a random taste for belly lox and asked for a small amount as I realize it’s horrible for one’s health. The counter man weighed out about an ounce. Perfect for a taste. I also noticed he didn’t charge me.

Took a taste when I got home and my head exploded from salt overload. Wow.

Great flavor but only a marathon runner or roofer in the dead of summer could handle the salt.

If you are wondering the bialys were terrific.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #223 - December 18th, 2023, 8:02 am
    Post #223 - December 18th, 2023, 8:02 am Post #223 - December 18th, 2023, 8:02 am
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

click to enlarge

Lox, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #224 - December 18th, 2023, 8:12 am
    Post #224 - December 18th, 2023, 8:12 am Post #224 - December 18th, 2023, 8:12 am
    G Wiv wrote:Weekly run to NYBB on Touhy. 3pm on Saturday surprisingly just a short wait. Got my usual, dozen onion bialys, a few raisin for the bride, plain cream cheese, nova lox and a mish-mosh for the baker’s dozen free one.

I had a random taste for belly lox and asked for a small amount as I realize it’s horrible for one’s health. The counter man weighed out about an ounce. Perfect for a taste. I also noticed he didn’t charge me.

Took a taste when I got home and my head exploded from salt overload. Wow.

Great flavor but only a marathon runner or roofer in the dead of summer could handle the salt.

If you are wondering the bialys were terrific.

Was there cream cheese involved!!!

I love belly lox and rue its difficulty in finding. Even here in bagel-topia, NYC, where I currently sit, belly is not a viable as it once was.

When I do get it, it's always on a bagel with cream cheese to cut the intensity. On the other hand, for nova/smoked salmon, I never use cream cheese as it overwhelms the fish. Butter.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #225 - December 18th, 2023, 8:34 am
    Post #225 - December 18th, 2023, 8:34 am Post #225 - December 18th, 2023, 8:34 am
    Vital Information wrote:I never use cream cheese as it overwhelms the fish. Butter.

90% of time I use cream cheese with nova, I do confess to liking butter with nova on occasion. Far as belly lox, it was tasted straight for the full salty fishy effect. I do like the flavor but I've always been slightly salt sensitive and belly lox is Way out of my comfort zone.

A chef friend was over for lunch, I was telling her about the belly lox and she tried it out of curiosity. One small taste and her eyes widened.

Less than an ounce of belly lox will do it for me for another decade. If you (VI) eat it on the regular you have a much higher tolerance for salt than me.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #226 - December 19th, 2023, 4:50 am
    Post #226 - December 19th, 2023, 4:50 am Post #226 - December 19th, 2023, 4:50 am
    When we order Nova from Russ & Daughters, I always include a # of Belly Lox. We freeze whats’ left over. Recently we pulled a # out of the freezer and with no Nova for comparison, we really liked it.
    I noticed that Russ & Daughters is low on many types of Smoked and unsmoked salmon?
    I usually order about Mother’s Day and get enough to freeze and last a while.
    Last time I purchased Vita from Fresh Farms, I found it mushy at best.
    BTW, I do not order through Gold Belly but call the store and order.

https://russanddaughters.goldbelly.com/ ... collection

-Richard
  • Post #227 - December 20th, 2023, 5:56 am
    Post #227 - December 20th, 2023, 5:56 am Post #227 - December 20th, 2023, 5:56 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Does NYBB even bake bagels at the Dempster location? I was under the impression they don't. If their stock is produced remotely, it'd be easy to understand -- though, not to accept -- how they could end up selling older bagels.

I can vouch for the fact that the Dempster location bakes their "own" bagels. They're too convenient for us not to drop over early (6 am or earlier) on occasion. And many times I have arrived to see them take the bagels from the oven or have taken home bagels that were very warm and freshly baked. (Now, whether the actual bagel-making takes place there, I cannot say for certain; I suppose it's possible that pre-made, unbaked dough is delivered...but I don't think so.)
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #228 - December 21st, 2023, 10:56 pm
    Post #228 - December 21st, 2023, 10:56 pm Post #228 - December 21st, 2023, 10:56 pm
    Don't post here often, but just wanted to add that recently I had some of the best bagels of my life... in Milwaukee.

Allie Boys Bagelry & Luncheonette

I had:*

1/2 Bagel Tartine: egg bagel with chicken liver mousse, "chicken skin granola" and bacon date molasses.

Pastrami chop cheese sandwich: pumpernickel bagel, pastrami, griddled onion, Swiss cheese, sport peppers, lettuce, tomato

1/2 dozen sleeve of day old bagels+a tub of roasted shallot cream cheese.

The bagels by themselves were a revelation. Very slight crisp on the outside and an excellent chew in the center. The Tartine and sandwich were amazing. Highly recommend if you happen to be passing through our red headed step child to the North.

Allie Boys
    135 E National Ave
    Milwaukee, WI

* Not all consumed in one sitting. Not a complete heathen
  • Post #229 - December 22nd, 2023, 12:34 am
    Post #229 - December 22nd, 2023, 12:34 am Post #229 - December 22nd, 2023, 12:34 am
    This is literally right next door to Leon's Frozen Custard. Checking Google Street View, it was an Einstein Bros. Bagel shop in 2018. Therefore, we never had a reason to go in.

We'll actually be in Milwaukee this Saturday, although our plans are to head over to Kopp's for a Cheeseburger and their Sundae of the Month: "Christmas Celebration", Three scoops of Vanilla Custard, each scoop topped separately with Mint Hot Fudge, Amaretto Marshmallow, and a Rum Caramel sauce. A finishing touch of Pecans, cashews, Peanuts and Chocolate Flakes.

Might be worth making a side trip to pick up a few bagels to bring home...

Thanks for the tip!
    Buddy
  • Post #230 - December 22nd, 2023, 7:32 am
    Post #230 - December 22nd, 2023, 7:32 am Post #230 - December 22nd, 2023, 7:32 am
    BuddyRoadhouse wrote:This is literally right next door to Leon's Frozen Custard. Checking Google Street View, it was an Einstein Bros. Bagel shop in 2018. Therefore, we never had a reason to go in.

We'll actually be in Milwaukee this Saturday, although our plans are to head over to Kopp's for a Cheeseburger and their Sundae of the Month: "Christmas Celebration", Three scoops of Vanilla Custard, each scoop topped separately with Mint Hot Fudge, Amaretto Marshmallow, and a Rum Caramel sauce. A finishing touch of Pecans, cashews, Peanuts and Chocolate Flakes.

Might be worth making a side trip to pick up a few bagels to bring home...

Thanks for the tip!
    Buddy

Not sure if you were looking up the right place but Allies is in the 5th ward near national and 1st

Had this recently on a mke visit and definitely enjoyed it. Having worked at Rockwell automation down the street many years ago, it's cool to see this area become a go to spot for restaurants
  • Post #231 - December 22nd, 2023, 11:30 am
    Post #231 - December 22nd, 2023, 11:30 am Post #231 - December 22nd, 2023, 11:30 am
    That is thoroughly bizarre. I copied the address from jellob1976's post, pasted it into Google and it took me to the spot next to Leon's. Did it again today, and it did the same thing. Weird.

Upon further investigation, it is obviously not the correct location. Suckered again by Google.

Buddy
  • Post #232 - December 26th, 2023, 7:59 am
    Post #232 - December 26th, 2023, 7:59 am Post #232 - December 26th, 2023, 7:59 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Does NYBB even bake bagels at the Dempster location? I was under the impression they don't. If their stock is produced remotely, it'd be easy to understand -- though, not to accept -- how they could end up selling older bagels.

I can vouch for the fact that the Dempster location bakes their "own" bagels. They're too convenient for us not to drop over early (6 am or earlier) on occasion. And many times I have arrived to see them take the bagels from the oven or have taken home bagels that were very warm and freshly baked. (Now, whether the actual bagel-making takes place there, I cannot say for certain; I suppose it's possible that pre-made, unbaked dough is delivered...but I don't think so.)

Was in Skokie this last week for doctor's appointments, and took a quick run over to Dempster NYB&B to see what's up. I had lived a short walk from there in the 1980s/1990s, like Gypsy had frequently visited them early AM to grab the fresh-out-of-the-oven bialys, had befriended Marshall & Simka (not sure of names?) and had actually supplied them with fresh tomatoes from the South Water Market for a little while.

Try as they might, this location currently does not hold a candle to Touhy. Having not been there in 15 years easy, I don't rightly know how or when the divergence from the flagship store took place. Yeah, I still bought a dozen of my favorites, the flat onion bialys. They're good, they're edible, but even if baked onsite they tasted many hours or even a day old, and I was in there at 11 AM.

Also picked up some handpacked chive cream cheese, and some packaged Banner nova lox. I know that brand is advertised that it's made in Brooklyn, but it is so far in quality from the fresh Nova at the Touhy store, it's almost sinful.

In the future, I'll no doubt be driving to Touhy, even if the parking lot & gridlocked street is a total PITA, making parking an adventure.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more