LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2022

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2022
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 7
  • Post #151 - June 14th, 2022, 5:21 am
    Post #151 - June 14th, 2022, 5:21 am Post #151 - June 14th, 2022, 5:21 am
    Drover wrote:
    bw77 wrote:An Eggholic is going in next to Patel Brothers on Golf Road:

    https://www.theeggholic.com/

    I thought that place had been there for years. Or are there now two Patel Brothers on Golf Road with Eggholics next to them?

    Patel Brothers has been open at the southeast corner of Golf & Milwaukee for a year or two. The Eggholic next door has had a Coming Soon sign in it for quite a few months. There's construction fencing around the north side of the property.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #152 - June 14th, 2022, 5:31 am
    Post #152 - June 14th, 2022, 5:31 am Post #152 - June 14th, 2022, 5:31 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Drover wrote:
    bw77 wrote:An Eggholic is going in next to Patel Brothers on Golf Road:

    https://www.theeggholic.com/

    I thought that place had been there for years. Or are there now two Patel Brothers on Golf Road with Eggholics next to them?

    Patel Brothers has been open at the southeast corner of Golf & Milwaukee for a year or two. The Eggholic next door has had a Coming Soon sign in it for quite a few months. There's construction fencing around the north side of the property.

    Ah cool, so these are in addition to the Patel Bros/Eggholic in Schaumburg. Seems like logical pairing.
  • Post #153 - June 14th, 2022, 5:47 am
    Post #153 - June 14th, 2022, 5:47 am Post #153 - June 14th, 2022, 5:47 am
    Drover wrote:
    bw77 wrote:An Eggholic is going in next to Patel Brothers on Golf Road:

    https://www.theeggholic.com/

    I thought that place had been there for years. Or are there now two Patel Brothers on Golf Road with Eggholics next to them?

    Schaumburg and Niles
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #154 - June 14th, 2022, 10:45 am
    Post #154 - June 14th, 2022, 10:45 am Post #154 - June 14th, 2022, 10:45 am
    Call them a guilty pleasure for some of us I will report that Raising Cane's opens on July 26th in Waukegan next to Culver's (near the new casino they are building at Fountain Square).

    Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers
    800 S Waukegan Rd
    Waukegan IL
  • Post #155 - June 14th, 2022, 11:08 am
    Post #155 - June 14th, 2022, 11:08 am Post #155 - June 14th, 2022, 11:08 am
    Ram4 wrote:Call them a guilty pleasure for some of us I will report that Raising Cane's opens on July 26th in Waukegan next to Culver's (near the new casino they are building at Fountain Square).

    Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers
    800 S Waukegan Rd
    Waukegan IL


    For the uninitiated, what differentiates this chain from literally every other fast food place that also sells chicken fingers (nearly all of them)? Is the next wave of fast food going to be "Cole Slaw Hut"?
  • Post #156 - June 14th, 2022, 12:03 pm
    Post #156 - June 14th, 2022, 12:03 pm Post #156 - June 14th, 2022, 12:03 pm
    New multiconcept restaurant arrives in Millennium Park from Crain's Chicago Business. This is in the site of the former Park Grill. A joint venture of Vandalay Brands and Lakefront Hospitality now oversees all food and concessions for the park.
    Patrons can currently experience Napolita Pizzeria, a 180-seat dining area. On Thursday, Double Clutch Brewery will open on the Plaza, which will seat 300 and include two bars and 24 taps. And a 120-seat Casa Bonita outpost will open by the end of June. Eventually, the space will include a stage that the hospitality groups will work with the Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events to program live music and other events. Each of Millennium Hall’s concepts are headed by Executive Chef Wally Wallace, formerly of East Bank Club.
  • Post #157 - June 14th, 2022, 12:19 pm
    Post #157 - June 14th, 2022, 12:19 pm Post #157 - June 14th, 2022, 12:19 pm
    ekreider wrote:And a 120-seat Casa Bonita outpost will open by the end of June.


    Image
  • Post #158 - June 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm
    Post #158 - June 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm Post #158 - June 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Call them a guilty pleasure for some of us I will report that Raising Cane's opens on July 26th in Waukegan next to Culver's (near the new casino they are building at Fountain Square).

    Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers
    800 S Waukegan Rd
    Waukegan IL


    For the uninitiated, what differentiates this chain from literally every other fast food place that also sells chicken fingers (nearly all of them)? Is the next wave of fast food going to be "Cole Slaw Hut"?

    They sell ONLY fingers, at least as the protein item. Sides are limited too, I think to just Texas toast, fries, and slaw It's a very pared-down menu so I guess that lets them focus on their core product. Oh, and they have some
    "signature" sauce -- the only sauce available in keeping with their minimalist menu approach -- which seems little more than mayo and salt and pepper with maybe a dash of Worcestershire or something.

    IMO they're the best fast-food fingers around if you're into that kind of thing, rivaled only by those from Popeye's.
  • Post #159 - June 14th, 2022, 4:07 pm
    Post #159 - June 14th, 2022, 4:07 pm Post #159 - June 14th, 2022, 4:07 pm
    Drover wrote:They sell ONLY fingers, at least as the protein item. Sides are limited too, I think to just Texas toast, fries, and slaw It's a very pared-down menu so I guess that lets them focus on their core product. Oh, and they have some
    "signature" sauce -- the only sauce available in keeping with their minimalist menu approach -- which seems little more than mayo and salt and pepper with maybe a dash of Worcestershire or something.

    IMO they're the best fast-food fingers around if you're into that kind of thing, rivaled only by those from Popeye's.


    I can appreciate that there's some reason for the popularity but it's puzzling that they're focusing so narrowly on a single item. Even Popeye's has a broader selection of chicken parts as well as some fish/shrimp.
  • Post #160 - June 14th, 2022, 4:18 pm
    Post #160 - June 14th, 2022, 4:18 pm Post #160 - June 14th, 2022, 4:18 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Drover wrote:They sell ONLY fingers, at least as the protein item. Sides are limited too, I think to just Texas toast, fries, and slaw It's a very pared-down menu so I guess that lets them focus on their core product. Oh, and they have some
    "signature" sauce -- the only sauce available in keeping with their minimalist menu approach -- which seems little more than mayo and salt and pepper with maybe a dash of Worcestershire or something.

    IMO they're the best fast-food fingers around if you're into that kind of thing, rivaled only by those from Popeye's.


    I can appreciate that there's some reason for the popularity but it's puzzling that they're focusing so narrowly on a single item. Even Popeye's has a broader selection of chicken parts as well as some fish/shrimp.

    Tighter QC focus, tighter marketing focus, simpler prep process, less equipment, etc.

    The formula has worked well for them so far but it also seems a recipe (pardon the pun) for a difficult transition if/when culinary trends shift.
  • Post #161 - June 14th, 2022, 4:22 pm
    Post #161 - June 14th, 2022, 4:22 pm Post #161 - June 14th, 2022, 4:22 pm
    Drover wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Drover wrote:They sell ONLY fingers, at least as the protein item. Sides are limited too, I think to just Texas toast, fries, and slaw It's a very pared-down menu so I guess that lets them focus on their core product.

    I can appreciate that there's some reason for the popularity but it's puzzling that they're focusing so narrowly on a single item. Even Popeye's has a broader selection of chicken parts as well as some fish/shrimp.

    Tighter QC focus, tighter marketing focus, simpler prep process, less equipment, etc.

    The formula has worked well for them so far but it also seems a recipe (pardon the pun) for a difficult transition if/when culinary trends shift.


    Its the same reason Chipotle has been very successful by focusing on a small menu with very few NEW items added if at all!
  • Post #162 - June 14th, 2022, 4:31 pm
    Post #162 - June 14th, 2022, 4:31 pm Post #162 - June 14th, 2022, 4:31 pm
    Drover wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Call them a guilty pleasure for some of us I will report that Raising Cane's opens on July 26th in Waukegan next to Culver's (near the new casino they are building at Fountain Square).

    Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers
    800 S Waukegan Rd
    Waukegan IL


    For the uninitiated, what differentiates this chain from literally every other fast food place that also sells chicken fingers (nearly all of them)? Is the next wave of fast food going to be "Cole Slaw Hut"?

    They sell ONLY fingers, at least as the protein item. Sides are limited too, I think to just Texas toast, fries, and slaw It's a very pared-down menu so I guess that lets them focus on their core product. Oh, and they have some
    "signature" sauce -- the only sauce available in keeping with their minimalist menu approach -- which seems little more than mayo and salt and pepper with maybe a dash of Worcestershire or something.

    IMO they're the best fast-food fingers around if you're into that kind of thing, rivaled only by those from Popeye's.


    I have a few copycat recipes for their sauce, seems to be a combination of mayo, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper. This is the version from Joshua Weissman...

    Cane's Sauce:
    ¾ cup 150g mayonnaise
    5 Tbsp 90g ketchup
    1.5 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    3 cloves fresh grated garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1.5 tsp 5g salt
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #163 - June 15th, 2022, 7:13 am
    Post #163 - June 15th, 2022, 7:13 am Post #163 - June 15th, 2022, 7:13 am
    Papa Willie's BBQ in Highwood closing July 17th.

    https://www.papawilliesbbq.com/
    148 Green Bay Road
    Highwood, Illinois

    From their FB page:

    This has all been wonderful, but now I’m on my way.

    It is with great sadness to announce that Papa Willie’s BBQ will be closing its doors in Highwood at 8pm on July 17th.

    It has been an incredible journey, filled with an immeasurable amount of satisfaction and joy. However, due to the current state of inflation it is no longer possible for us to keep our doors open. While we are unsure of what the future holds, you WILL still be able to enjoy PW’s through July 17th. The good news is we still have our outdoor tents and gear to bring over to your homes for any and all events such as Office parties, weddings, super bowl shindigs, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Bar/Bat Mitzvah’s, birthdays, pool parties or whatever else you can think up…we will be there for you.

    With every bit of love in our souls, we want to thank each and every one of you for your patronage and support over these past few challenging years. A worldwide pandemic, job loss, inflation and general uncertainty has been at the forefront of our minds. When times were tough, you all were there supporting us along the way. We are eternally grateful to all of you in more ways that we can ever express. We also want to thank the City of Highwood and all its amazing staff for helping us get Papa Willie’s up and running. To all the local businesses, who are now like family, we thank you. We vow that every single rib, every bite of corn and every piece of cornbread will be served at the highest quality until the very last order is served.

    This isn’t goodbye, it’s see you later. Somewhere.

    To book catering events or to schedule a private chef experience for you (menu of your choosing), please reach out to bmerel@yahoo.com

    Store hours will remain the same until the last day. Wednesday-Sunday. 4pm-8pm.

    Eternally Thankful and With Love and Hugs,
    PW’s
  • Post #164 - June 15th, 2022, 7:55 pm
    Post #164 - June 15th, 2022, 7:55 pm Post #164 - June 15th, 2022, 7:55 pm
    marothisu wrote:Is Phodega opening up a new shop in East Pilsen ? Business license issued for 1800 S Jefferson St for them, the site of the former Bodhi Thai


    The answer is yes, but it's a carry out only store per their website:
    https://www.phodega.com/location
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #165 - June 16th, 2022, 1:17 pm
    Post #165 - June 16th, 2022, 1:17 pm Post #165 - June 16th, 2022, 1:17 pm
    Kesey wrote:Papa Willie's BBQ in Highwood closing July 17th.

    https://www.papawilliesbbq.com/
    148 Green Bay Road
    Highwood, Illinois
    We ordered from there in April. The first time we tried them the ribs were tough but tasty. This last time it was just decent overall but we felt it wasn't anything special. It was a little strange that they grilled each rib bone individually and after a handful of them I'd get tired of them. Hand cut fries were good. The blue corn bread was really sweet - basically cake which we didn't care for.
  • Post #166 - June 16th, 2022, 1:23 pm
    Post #166 - June 16th, 2022, 1:23 pm Post #166 - June 16th, 2022, 1:23 pm
    Ram4 wrote:
    Kesey wrote:Papa Willie's BBQ in Highwood closing July 17th.

    https://www.papawilliesbbq.com/
    148 Green Bay Road
    Highwood, Illinois
    It was a little strange that they grilled each rib bone individually and after a handful of them I'd get tired of them . . .

    Yes, a very unorthodox style that I thought was certainly better than overcooked/mushy but still, nothing I ever took to personally. I wish them well. Anyone with an actual philosophy about food prep is worth rooting for.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #167 - June 16th, 2022, 3:28 pm
    Post #167 - June 16th, 2022, 3:28 pm Post #167 - June 16th, 2022, 3:28 pm
    Vajra, an Indian Nepali Restaurant in West Town, to Close This Weekend.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2022/6/16/231 ... wn-closing
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #168 - June 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm
    Post #168 - June 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm Post #168 - June 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm
    There's signage up at 2221 N Lincoln in Lincoln Park for a new Harold's Shrimp and Chicken + Sports Bar coming soon. The only other one in the city is on Taylor St. They also have 1 in Houston, Miami, etc.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #169 - June 19th, 2022, 6:25 pm
    Post #169 - June 19th, 2022, 6:25 pm Post #169 - June 19th, 2022, 6:25 pm
    Some more popular Asian fusion food coming to Lincoln Park soon.

    1) Mochinut opening at 733 W Fullerton in Lincoln Common next to Equinox. This is according to their website:

    https://www.mochinut.com/il-locations

    2) Kong Dog is opening (or maybe already did) in Lincoln Park at 2411 N Clark St just north of Fullerton. This is in the former Pizza Nostra and Hema's Kitchen spaces. Kong Dog does Korean corn dogs, as well as drinks like bubble tea. I forgot where I learned about this but if you Google search "Kong Dog Lincoln Park Chicago" then you'll see the profile:

    https://kongdog.us/LOCATION/

    Looks like they've expanded to upstate NY, DC area, Boston area, etc now.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #170 - June 20th, 2022, 10:43 am
    Post #170 - June 20th, 2022, 10:43 am Post #170 - June 20th, 2022, 10:43 am
    Barcocina is opening a 2nd location in the city. Their first one is in Lake View at 2901 N Sheffield. Their 2nd one will be in West Town at 1814 W Chicago Ave (near Arami, Forbidden Root, etc) according to a liquor license application. This will replace Tecalitlan Restaurant, which closed summer 2020.

    Barcocina's website references a new West Town location, though does not have the address. Luckily the Liquor License application has the address

    https://www.barcocinachicago.com
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #171 - June 20th, 2022, 6:55 pm
    Post #171 - June 20th, 2022, 6:55 pm Post #171 - June 20th, 2022, 6:55 pm
    
A prime spot on Randolph Street in the West Loop that has been empty for two years is showing signs of life. The former Bar Hunter space has been transformed into Nisos Mediterranean, a massive two-story, 9,000-square-foot restaurant. It is set to open July 8.

    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #172 - June 20th, 2022, 7:16 pm
    Post #172 - June 20th, 2022, 7:16 pm Post #172 - June 20th, 2022, 7:16 pm
    Architectural Artifacts is opening in Cabrini Green in the former St. Joseph's Catholic School on Orleans. You will be able to get cocktails and pizza there, and they'll have a wedding venue too.

    https://www.facebook.com/architecturalartifacts/
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #173 - June 22nd, 2022, 9:06 pm
    Post #173 - June 22nd, 2022, 9:06 pm Post #173 - June 22nd, 2022, 9:06 pm
    Joe Donut is now open in Deerfield - 636 Deerfield Rd. This could be dangerous for me.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #174 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:16 am
    Post #174 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:16 am Post #174 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:16 am
    Dave148 wrote:Joe Donut is now open in Deerfield - 636 Deerfield Rd. This could be dangerous for me.

    My one visit to the Niles Joe Donut was underwhelming so you might be okay. ;-)
    -Mary
  • Post #175 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:53 am
    Post #175 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:53 am Post #175 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:53 am
    The GP wrote:My one visit to the Niles Joe Donut was underwhelming so you might be okay. ;-)

    I've been to Joe Donut in Niles 5-6 times. I am a sucker for upscale donuts, in particular pistachio and buttermilk. More traditional breakfast and lunch items from Joe Donut leave me lacking, I stick strictly to donuts and coffee.

    Image

    Donuts, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #176 - June 23rd, 2022, 10:28 am
    Post #176 - June 23rd, 2022, 10:28 am Post #176 - June 23rd, 2022, 10:28 am
    G Wiv wrote:More traditional breakfast and lunch items from Joe Donut leave me lacking, I stick strictly to donuts and coffee.


    I beg to differ. They're the closest breakfast option to our house and we relied on them heavily during lockdown. They have pretty fantastic free-form pancakes (caramelized banana and blueberry lemon are excellent). They make a great burnt-cheese omelet and their breakfast potatoes are terrific, sort of a combination spaetzle/potato. I think they mash them first and then drop in the fryer.
  • Post #177 - June 23rd, 2022, 11:37 am
    Post #177 - June 23rd, 2022, 11:37 am Post #177 - June 23rd, 2022, 11:37 am
    G Wiv wrote:More traditional breakfast and lunch items from Joe Donut leave me lacking, I stick strictly to donuts and coffee.

    spinynorman99 wrote:I beg to differ.

    And that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31-flavors of ice cream. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #178 - June 23rd, 2022, 12:23 pm
    Post #178 - June 23rd, 2022, 12:23 pm Post #178 - June 23rd, 2022, 12:23 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:More traditional breakfast and lunch items from Joe Donut leave me lacking, I stick strictly to donuts and coffee.

    spinynorman99 wrote:I beg to differ.

    And that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31-flavors of ice cream. :)

    Haha, yep. And no need to beg, either. It's casual. :D

    Happily, I'm not a donut fan, so this will not be tempting for me.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #179 - June 23rd, 2022, 3:41 pm
    Post #179 - June 23rd, 2022, 3:41 pm Post #179 - June 23rd, 2022, 3:41 pm
    Jack’s Wicker Park Opens Next Week, Merging ‘Classic’ French Dishes With Approachable Neighborhood Atmosphere.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/06/23 ... tmosphere/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #180 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:34 pm
    Post #180 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:34 pm Post #180 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:34 pm
    N.O.K (Noon O Kabab) at Milwaukee & Elston has closed.
    “We were going great,” said N.O.K. operator Mir Naghavi. “Unfortunately …. an extreme rise of operation costs and staff shortages (and) the stress” forced the closure, said N.O.K.

    http://nadignewspapers.com/2022/06/22/n ... -for-sale/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more