LTH Home

McCormick’s (Roadhouse) Restaurant, Lake Bluff

McCormick’s (Roadhouse) Restaurant, Lake Bluff
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • McCormick’s (Roadhouse) Restaurant, Lake Bluff

Post #1 - October 17th, 2005, 10:18 pm
    Post #1 - October 17th, 2005, 10:18 pm Post #1 - October 17th, 2005, 10:18 pm
    Last summer when VI went on to tour the glory’s of Wisconsin, he stopped along the way to feed the family at McCormick’s on the crossroads of IL-41 and IL-176 in Lake Bluff. I have passed this intersection countless times and never noticed the existence of McCormick’s, which was obvious once pointed out by VI’s post. Sometimes you look and you just don’t see. Restless with all my usual options, I decided to give McCormick’s a whirl.

While McCormick’s Restaurant and Lounge has been in the current owner’s hands since 1955. This building has been a roadhouse for much, much longer. The interior of the restaurant reminded me of some locals-joint in the Wisconsin Dells. It had some of the character of Charlie Beinlich’s without the trophy animals on the walls. They also have a real menu with lots of choices instead of Charlie’s small push letter list mounted in the corner.

McCormick’s daily specials had a few things which popped out at me: Monday was meatloaf followed by Tuesday’s meatloaf sandwich, so clever with the leftovers! Wednesday was chicken and dumplings, while Thursday had not only corned beef and cabbage but a prime rib sandwich. I could easily come back for those kinds of offers, though I may skip the meatloaf.

Rob had been quite enthusiastic about the hamburger, which appealed to me greatly. They offer an 8-ounce hamburger with pickles, lettuce and tomato with coleslaw and French fries; grilled onions were a 20-cent upcharge. I ordered my hamburger rare, which arrived medium-rare; which is way better than cooked through.

When my hamburger arrived, I knew from my experience at Moonshine recently, this was a hand formed hamburger. I double checked myself by talking to the owner who said they actually weigh out the meat at more than 8 ounces, so when cooked it is at least 8 ounces delivered to the table. I knew she was being truthful because this was indeed a very large hamburger and very good eating as well.

Since this restaurant is so close to IL-41, the old travel signs EZ-off and EZ-on certainly do apply. I normally don’t offer road instructions, but this place is very easy to drive past.
    - If you are taking IL-41 north, then you exit at IL-176. Follow the frontage road leading to IL-176 just before the traffic light on the east (left) side.
    - If you were driving south on IL-41, then exit at IL-176. Follow the frontage road to IL-176 traffic light and turn east (left) over the bridge. Turn left at the very next traffic light and it is immediately to your right.

Funny how all these years you drive past great places without realizing their potential. Last week it was The Silo. Today it was McCormick’s. All less than 15 minutes from my house by car and never visited.

McCormick’s Restaurant and Lounge
    Routes 176 and 41
    Lake Bluff, IL 60044
    Phone: 847/234-2525
    Fax: 847/234-2537
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #2 - October 18th, 2005, 9:58 am
    Post #2 - October 18th, 2005, 9:58 am Post #2 - October 18th, 2005, 9:58 am
    So, did we drive right past this place on the way to the Silo? It sounds like it.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - October 18th, 2005, 11:34 am
    Post #3 - October 18th, 2005, 11:34 am Post #3 - October 18th, 2005, 11:34 am
    SteveZ wrote:So, did we drive right past this place on the way to the Silo? It sounds like it.

Yes. When I reach that intersection, I am looking out for traffic so I was unaware of the restaurant's existence until VI mentioned it last summer.

I wouldn't say it is destination dining, but you are up here enough that you could casually make it your lunch or dinner stop.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - January 17th, 2010, 11:35 pm
    Post #4 - January 17th, 2010, 11:35 pm Post #4 - January 17th, 2010, 11:35 pm
    Hi,

Drove past McCormick's this afternoon to find it is no more. There is a Mexican restaurant called El Fuego located there instead.

El Fuego
    5 N Skokie Hwy
    Lake Bluff, IL 60044
    (847) 615-2658

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #5 - January 18th, 2010, 6:01 pm
    Post #5 - January 18th, 2010, 6:01 pm Post #5 - January 18th, 2010, 6:01 pm
    Too bad it's gone. I didn't see your original post back in 2005, but reading it now (before I noticed the date), I was ready to head for McCormick's. Sic transit gloria mundi.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #6 - January 19th, 2010, 5:46 am
    Post #6 - January 19th, 2010, 5:46 am Post #6 - January 19th, 2010, 5:46 am
    Another bastion of underage drinking on the Northshore bites the dust. I didnt know anyone ever ate at McCormick's, I only remember being there super late at night, often after other bars had closed. The burger looked nice, too bad I missed it
  • Post #7 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:30 pm
    Post #7 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:30 pm Post #7 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:30 pm
    Hi,

Hillery's BBQ will open at this location in early June. Unlike Hillery's location in North Chicago, this will be a sit down restaurant with a bar.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #8 - September 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm
    Post #8 - September 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm Post #8 - September 27th, 2013, 2:21 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Hillery's BBQ will open at this location in early June. Unlike Hillery's location in North Chicago, this will be a sit down restaurant with a bar.

Regards,

Hi,

For a while the Hillery's signage was down, I began to believe their deal fell through. I passed yesterday to find the building newly painted and a Hillery's BBQ sign. Not quite sure it is open, it may be or it is nearly any day.

Hillery's BBQ is located directly across from Knauz automobiles on 176 in Lake Bluff.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #9 - October 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm
    Post #9 - October 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm Post #9 - October 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm
    Checked today. Waiting on City inspections. Also need to install their smoker chimney thru the roof.
    Drive way, parking lot and painted building are complete.
    My guess around 10-15 to 11-1.

Wally Wade

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more