LTH Home

Northern Style Pancake at Ed's Potsticker House

Northern Style Pancake at Ed's Potsticker House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Northern Style Pancake at Ed's Potsticker House

Post #1 - June 29th, 2006, 8:07 pm
    Post #1 - June 29th, 2006, 8:07 pm Post #1 - June 29th, 2006, 8:07 pm
    Although Ed's has had it's share of exposure here at LTH, I can't remember anyone ever mentioning this dish.

Listed under Dim Sum, I saw this being consumed by almost every table the other evening. From a distance I couldn't tell if they were crispy rice noodles, LTH style or some kind of hybrid scallion pancake. I knew I would soon be back to try them out. We were back two nights later.

They're crispy, doughy, starchy and remind me of a scallion pancake falling apart like a "slinky". How could I have not been to Ed's in such a long time? I must explore this menu further. Maybe it's time for an LTH 4th of July dinner at Eds...?

Ed's Potsticker House
    3139 S. Halsted St.
    Chicago, IL 60608
    312-326-6898

:twisted:
  • Post #2 - July 30th, 2006, 7:37 pm
    Post #2 - July 30th, 2006, 7:37 pm Post #2 - July 30th, 2006, 7:37 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:They're crispy, doughy, starchy and remind me of a scallion pancake falling apart like a "slinky".

Evil,

In the world of notable starches Ed's Potsticker's Northern Style Pancake rank high.

Northern Style Pancakes

As Evil said, crispy, doughy, starchy, they brought to mind a cross between well made naan and crisp, crunchy plain rice noodle hot from the wok.

Layered with crisp edges, served hot enough to cause me to wave my BBQ toughened fingers in the air and the perfect, and I do mean perfect, foil for one of my all time favorite starters, cold Szechuan tendon.

Cold Szechuan tendon.

Ed's was both busy and dead-on last evening, garlic eggplant a symphony of flavor, crisp, crunchy, though best to eat this dish soon as it hits the table, it looses it's crisp factor quickly.

Garlic Eggplant

Some like them, some don't, me, I'm a fan of Ed's house potstickers.

We filled in the edges with Soup Dumplings

and Smoked Pork w/scallion pancakes.

And finished with a Pork Beijing Style that, while on pretty much every second table in the house, was not really to my taste. Too sweet by half and the won ton dough skins, that were to be used as a wrapper, had an uncooked dough quality to them.

Pork Beijing Style (Shredded pork w/garlic sauce)

Evil, thanks for the tip on Ed's Northern Style Pancakes, truly an Evil delight.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - July 30th, 2006, 9:40 pm
    Post #3 - July 30th, 2006, 9:40 pm Post #3 - July 30th, 2006, 9:40 pm
    HI,

I ordered those noodles some time ago without understanding how they were supposed to be used. I kind of had them as-is along with my regular orders of pot stickers, scallion pancakes with ham et al. I later discussed their presence in a Chinese meal, if I recall correctly, they are intended to be eated with soup.

While eating those noodles with tendon is a great idea. I am still not sure how they are eaten in the Chinese context.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more