LTH Home

Ostioneria y Taqueria Mar Abierto[LTHForum Taqueria Project]

Ostioneria y Taqueria Mar Abierto[LTHForum Taqueria Project]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ostioneria y Taqueria Mar Abierto[LTHForum Taqueria Project]

Post #1 - April 28th, 2006, 11:08 pm
    Post #1 - April 28th, 2006, 11:08 pm Post #1 - April 28th, 2006, 11:08 pm
    (I'm not clear whether you wanted these posts all in one thread or not. Feel free to move this.)

Inspired by the LTH Taqueria project undertaking, I visited Ostioneria y Taqueria Mar Abierto today for the first time. I've driven past it for years, but never made the effort to stop in.

The decor inside suggests that this was once a coffee shop/Greek diner. I think every table is a Naugahyde booth. One relic of the restuarant's former identity is still in use: a disproportionately large display case for desserts. There were some cakes on display, nothing that tickled my fancy.

In addition to the standard taqueria fare, the menu offers several seafood dishes, including some different soups. I started off with the ceviche. Sorry for the blurry photo. There really wasn't much to see here, though, I promise:

The fresh avacado was a nice touch, but the ceviche just wasn't that tasty. It had the mayonaissey coating which has been discussed on these boards before. The Valentina brand hot sauce on the table helped, though.

I ordered two tacos, al pastor and chorizo. The pastor was pretty dry and flavorless, the chorizo not much better. Served on store-bought tortillas, I do believe:

You can see a sliver of Naugahyde in the background.

Perhaps I missed out at this place by not ordering a more unusual seafood dish. I would try it again if someone recommended a specific menu item. But I didn't get the sense that this was a place that put its heart and soul into the food. The server was friendly and attentive, but I doubt I'll be back.

Ostioneria y Taqueria Mar Abierto
    3826 W. Montrose
    773-509-0919
  • Post #2 - April 29th, 2006, 7:22 am
    Post #2 - April 29th, 2006, 7:22 am Post #2 - April 29th, 2006, 7:22 am
    tapler,

Thanks for contributing to the project! I live about a block away fror Mar Abierto and I've been there twice. The first time I had a decent ceviche tostada and the second time some lackluster tacos. I'm a little put off by the fact that this ostioneria is constantly empty. I can't imagine how many oysters (or how much seafood in general) that they're selling.

In spite of the very inviting lists of delicacies on their windows, I don't have the guts to order a more ambitious seafood dish in a restaurant that I've never, ever seen more than one customer in.

Best,
    Michael

Link to the Lawrence/Montrose Taqueria project main post.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more