LTH Home

Ultra Foods Forest Park

Ultra Foods Forest Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ultra Foods Forest Park

Post #1 - August 8th, 2004, 5:04 pm
    Post #1 - August 8th, 2004, 5:04 pm Post #1 - August 8th, 2004, 5:04 pm
    This new grocery just opened in the former Courtesy Lumber space in the Forest Park Mall. Since I'm always anxious for an alternative to Jewel, I checked it out.

Bottom line. Pretty good. About the prices and size of a Cub Foods, i.e. not as cheap as Aldi, but noticably less expensive than Jewel (and way more selection than Aldi). Clearly aiming to compete in the Hispanic and African-American market, with lots of selections for both, including the full Nuevo Leon line and Moo and Oink frozen meats. Tres Leches cake in the bakery, two pieces for $1.99. El Milagro corn tortillas 3 packages for 88 cents. On the other hand, the 5 oz rancherito cheese I bought on Cermak yesterday for 99 cents was $2 something. The deli prices were also noticably higher than Caputo's or even the Berwyn Fruit Market. But, of course, much lower than Jewel. Good selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.

They brag about their fish. I'll let you know later if they should, but they do offer something I hadn't seen before. You can pick out your fish and, for 20 cents more per pound, they'll fry it while you finish shopping.

Other strengths: It looks from their website http://ultra-foods.com, that they may be based in Indiana. That may explain the Yoder brand products, including the roast chicken in the deli section (though, oddly enough, I didn't see any Amish chicken in the fresh poultry section). They've also got some interesting looking noodles that I can't try till I have a kitchen again. The Indiana connection is also the only reason I can think of why they have such a great selection of bread and other flours, including Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur, and something like Hobart that I've lost the name of. Plus lots of bread machine mixes.

Other weaknesses. They do better than the ethnic markets on low-fat selections, but I didn't see anything organic--or even any free-range eggs. And although they do better than the Melrose Park Cub Foods on Hispanic and African-American items, they don't have Cub Foods fun selection of British and Indian items and I suspect, though I didn't look closely, that they don't do as well on Asian either.

Lots of helpful staff and short lines at the cash registers despite the grand opening crowds. You bag your own groceries, but from the end of the register instead of from your cart the way you do at Aldi's. Credit cards okay. No preferred shopper program (yeah!).

It's a mile from my house, so I don't see ever going back to Jewel again. If you're further away, it may or may not be worth the trip, but check it out if you're in the area.

Ultra Foods
    7520 W. Roosevelt
    Forest Park
    708 488 5750

Other stores in Highland and Merrillville, IN and Chicago Heights, Lansing, Calumet Park, Kankakee
    Last edited by Ann Fisher on August 11th, 2004, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - August 8th, 2004, 5:24 pm
    Post #2 - August 8th, 2004, 5:24 pm Post #2 - August 8th, 2004, 5:24 pm
    Ann, you know, I was going to drive by there today (we got a flyer in the mailbox) and check it out. It's somewhat less convenient for me than Jewel or Dominick's, but I was intrigued by their marketing (particularly "200% perishable guarantee" -- what's that mean? Double your money back? It's not explained, but it worked to catch me, which was probably the point).

Hammond
  • Post #3 - August 11th, 2004, 8:32 am
    Post #3 - August 11th, 2004, 8:32 am Post #3 - August 11th, 2004, 8:32 am
    I went to the Ultra Foods in Merrillville. Keep in mind the only other supermarket I have been to in this area is Meijer. The seafood selection was pretty similar although the frozen 16-20 count shrimp were cheaper at Ultra. There were some head on prawns that had the look of fresh but had no label and I didn't ask.

The greatest disappointment to me was that all the bread was wrapped in plastic even the stuff in a paper bag. Plastic bag inside paper (!)

I didn't see any chicken labelled Amish at Ultra though I didn't do an exhaustive search. I had seen Amish chicken at Meijer.

In general the selection seemed about the same at both stores.
  • Post #4 - August 11th, 2004, 2:11 pm
    Post #4 - August 11th, 2004, 2:11 pm Post #4 - August 11th, 2004, 2:11 pm
    As an underserved Oak Parker (southwest side) I was delighted to see a supermarket open in the hood. I'm darn sick of not only paying Jewel prices, but also fighting the River Forest Jewel parking lot. I thought Ultra was pretty decent. Not as much fun as Berwyn fruit market, but good Mexican and i noticed the Moo & Oink, too. Does anybody go to Moo & Oink that doesn't live on the south side? Is it a good place? Love the name. The only odd thing at Ultra, they took my check, but gave it back and made me sign a piece of paper to receive the funds electronically. Has anybody encountered that before? marilyn
  • Post #5 - August 11th, 2004, 4:10 pm
    Post #5 - August 11th, 2004, 4:10 pm Post #5 - August 11th, 2004, 4:10 pm
    I have been to all three Moo and Oink locations. It is definitely an interesting place to shop and the meat is pretty good.

Is there a location outside of the city??
  • Post #6 - April 8th, 2010, 9:45 am
    Post #6 - April 8th, 2010, 9:45 am Post #6 - April 8th, 2010, 9:45 am
    I was in Joliet on some business earlier this week, and made a plan to stop @ Ultra Foods on Larkin Ave. Not knowing what to expect, and expecting the worst I was pleasently surprised.

- Decent looking produce(I only bought jalapenos and a pineapple)
    - un "enhanced" pork(i got a slab of bb ribs for supper)
    - un "enhanced" & labeled natural chicken
    - cheap, meaty snow crab legs.
    - decent looking frozen, and fresh seafood selection
    - good looking beef section
    - cheap bacon, 2#'s deli cut bacon for $2.

Based on this visit I'd go back, & I'd go to Ultra Foods before I would go to Jewel, Dominicks, (but then again I would go to Super Walmart before going to Jewel or Domicks).
    R.I.P. jimswside - 5/2/16

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #7 - April 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm
    Post #7 - April 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm Post #7 - April 8th, 2010, 12:55 pm
    I shop regularly at the Ultra Foods in Chicago Heights. Their produce section is excellent, and they have an extensive and impressive display of Hispanic foods. Prices are exellent. I don't usually buy meat there because my husband prefers the meat from Bizio's. I also won't buy ice cream there since I brought home half-melted stuff on too many prior occasions.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #8 - April 8th, 2010, 1:00 pm
    Post #8 - April 8th, 2010, 1:00 pm Post #8 - April 8th, 2010, 1:00 pm
    sdritz wrote: I don't usually buy meat there because my husband prefers the meat from Bizio's.

Suzy

I had never really heard of them, I had seen a billboard for Ultra Foods, but didnt know where they were located. Looking at the plastic bags my groceries came in it looks like they have a few locations in the area. I may have to check out the Downers Grove one soon.

in a pinch their pork worked ok. Typically I only buy pork from a few places, but i would buy it again from Ultra Foods if I was in need and pressed for time.

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #9 - April 8th, 2010, 2:17 pm
    Post #9 - April 8th, 2010, 2:17 pm Post #9 - April 8th, 2010, 2:17 pm
    I'm a semi frequent flier at Ultra in Forest Park. My parents are all about the Ultra in Lombard. I was in the Forest Park store this past Saturday, and (me being me) I checked their orange prices. They had a sign up that said "Due to inclement weather, citrus prices have gone up dramatically...blah blah blah, sorry for the inconvenience." Looking through the California Navel bin, the oranges looked pretty bad, and were priced at like 1.79 / lb. Immediately (me being me) I went to one of the fruit mkts in da hood, and saw a bin full of California Navels at 99c / lb that looked like they were grown for smurfs. They were like smaller than tangerines.

Now, (me being me) I have checked almost every other store/fruit market in the area, and they all have big, juicy, sweet, California Navels for dirt cheap. I just bought 10 lbs at Tony's on Monday at 79c/ lb, and they are stellar. Anyone know wtf happened? Was there a one day storm in California or something, and did Ultra Foods just Freak out?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #10 - May 30th, 2010, 7:51 am
    Post #10 - May 30th, 2010, 7:51 am Post #10 - May 30th, 2010, 7:51 am
    2nd visit to the Ultra Foods in Joliet on Friday, I had visited their Naperville location before and hated it, but have really enjoyed the Joliet location.

Fresh, natural chicken wings $5 for a 5# pack.

also decent produce, and alot of other sale items.

I was also happy to see Moo and Oink hot links, next time im grabbing these.

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #11 - May 30th, 2010, 8:49 am
    Post #11 - May 30th, 2010, 8:49 am Post #11 - May 30th, 2010, 8:49 am
    jimswside -

May I suggest to you to try the M&O Turkey Hot links? I scooped up two pkgs from my Ultra on sale for my smoke yesterday. My Aunt introduced me to the M&O Turkey Hot a few years ago. Love them to death. Several family members waited specifically for the links before making their plates. From the kitchen cutting board to the table, I was halted at least five times with the platter of links by folks with forks a pokin. Those turkey hot links are less greasy, a tad less salty, possibly a little more healthy, but most of all, we like them cuz they are GOOD. So far, the only hot links allowed in my freezer or smoker are Uncle john's, and M&O Turkey. (Until I start making my own, that is. An experiment that will happen in the next few weeks)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #12 - May 30th, 2010, 8:50 am
    Post #12 - May 30th, 2010, 8:50 am Post #12 - May 30th, 2010, 8:50 am
    seebee wrote:jimswside -

May I suggest to you to try the M&O Turkey Hot links? I scooped up two pkgs from my Ultra on sale for my smoke yesterday. My Aunt introduced me to the M&O Turkey Hot a few years ago. Love them to death. Several family members waited specifically for the links before making their plates. From the kitchen cutting board to the table, I was halted at least five times with the platter of links by folks with forks a pokin. Those turkey hot links are less greasy, a tad less salty, possibly a little more healthy, but most of all, we like them cuz they are GOOD. So far, the only hot links allowed in my freezer or smoker are Uncle john's, and M&O Turkey. (Until I start making my own, that is. An experiment that will happen in the next few weeks)

thanks for the tip, Ultra Foods had the turkey aws well. Maybe I need a box of each. :D

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #13 - June 16th, 2010, 8:21 am
    Post #13 - June 16th, 2010, 8:21 am Post #13 - June 16th, 2010, 8:21 am
    Visited the Downers Grove Ultra Foods yesterday, and it is very simialar to the Joliet store. Big, nice produce, seafood, and meat(vienna & Daisy brand hotdogs). I had a box of the Moo and Oink turkey hot links in the cart, but put them back as I was reminded I still have pounds of uncooked Uncle Johns links in the freezer. Next time Ill get these for sure.

Huge cucumbers, & I even got some Florida sweet corn(I typically only eat Illinois sweet corn but it looked good).

Frozen uncooked shell on shrimp 26-31 I believe for $5.99/lb that will be grilled Saturday.

Also got some hanger steak, a couple nice, thick angus choics N.Y. strip steaks, amish chicken wings, and dried chili de arbol peppers.

Only overpriced item I saw & didnt buy were pork BB ribs, which were a mix of enhanced and unenhanced in the dispaly for $5.99/lb(way to expensive)

Im becoming a bigger fan each trip I make to Ultra Foods.

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #14 - June 16th, 2010, 12:02 pm
    Post #14 - June 16th, 2010, 12:02 pm Post #14 - June 16th, 2010, 12:02 pm
    jimswside wrote:Visited the Downers Grove Ultra Foods yesterday, and it is very simialar to the Joliet store. Big, nice produce, seafood, and meat(vienna & Daisy brand hotdogs). I had a box of the Moo and Oink turkey hot links in the cart, but put them back as I was reminded I still have pounds of uncooked Uncle Johns links in the freezer. Next time Ill get these for sure.

Hi -
    Watch for them to go on sale. I went to my Ultra a few days ago, and took a look at regular price on those M&O turkey hots. They were 9.99! They've been on sale twice in the recent past for 6.99. I'd assume right around the 4th would be another chance to check for them on sale. If I see them on sale, I'll post. I regularly watch for them, and read the sale fliers every week.

I have to "get rid" :D of some of my 15 lb box of uj's in the freezer as well. I think Sunday will be the day along with some jerk chicken.
  • Post #15 - June 16th, 2010, 12:05 pm
    Post #15 - June 16th, 2010, 12:05 pm Post #15 - June 16th, 2010, 12:05 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Hi -
    Watch for them to go on sale. I went to my Ultra a few days ago, and took a look at regular price on those M&O turkey hots. They were 9.99! They've been on sale twice in the recent past for 6.99. I'd assume right around the 4th would be another chance to check for them on sale. If I see them on sale, I'll post. I regularly watch for them, and read the sale fliers every week.

I have to "get rid" :D of some of my 15 lb box of uj's in the freezer as well. I think Sunday will be the day along with some jerk chicken.

$6.99 last night,

I tried some this past weekend at a friends house, and really liked them. I was a little skeptical them being turky and all, but they were relly good.

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #16 - June 16th, 2010, 4:35 pm
    Post #16 - June 16th, 2010, 4:35 pm Post #16 - June 16th, 2010, 4:35 pm
    Ultra did, indeed, originate in Indiana, brought to you by the Strack family, I do believe. Their price is good, quality occasionally suspect, and their Highland location is huge, sprawling, dirty, and the floor buffer guy follows me around. I don't go when I can help it, and now that they don't share a parking lot with Aldi anymore, I rarely bother unless they have an awesome sale.
  • Post #17 - June 17th, 2010, 7:29 am
    Post #17 - June 17th, 2010, 7:29 am Post #17 - June 17th, 2010, 7:29 am
    interesting, the 3 Illinois stores I have gone to(Naperthrill, Joliet, and Downers) are clean stores.

The Naperville location is the worst I have been to, nothing like the Joliet & Downers stores as far as size and selection. People watching @ the Joliet location is almost worth a visit alone.

I am beginning to like Ultra Foods as a reliable/affordable one stop place on the way home where I can get decent meat( no prime beef, but I can get unenhanced pork, and unenhanced chicken), decent deli, good produce, ethnic items, seafood, etc. The same cannot be said for Jewel, Dominicks, Meijer, or the boutique stores around the suburbs.

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #18 - June 17th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Post #18 - June 17th, 2010, 9:32 pm Post #18 - June 17th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    The one on in Lombard is not bad either. I'd go back to the Downers, Lombard, or Wheaton stores again. I pick and choose what I buy there because you can't beat their prices on their loss leaders. It's interesting how the different stores are slightly tweaked to the sub local market. Btw, I recently 'discovered' the big Valli's in Glendale Heights but I think I'll stick with my favorite Caputo's (lots of the stuff is the same, must be some type of connection there).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more