LTH Home

Fluky's on Michigan Ave

Fluky's on Michigan Ave
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Fluky's on Michigan Ave

Post #1 - February 10th, 2006, 12:39 pm
    Post #1 - February 10th, 2006, 12:39 pm Post #1 - February 10th, 2006, 12:39 pm
    Is this permanently closed? I've finally got of the office and hoped on over to the Nordstrom building and saw it boarded up. Just a little curious.
  • Post #2 - February 10th, 2006, 1:52 pm
    Post #2 - February 10th, 2006, 1:52 pm Post #2 - February 10th, 2006, 1:52 pm
    mby385 wrote:Is this permanently closed? I've finally got of the office and hoped on over to the Nordstrom building and saw it boarded up. Just a little curious.

There was a sign there briefly explaining that they were closing that location as of Jan. 29. Afraid I don't have any other details.
  • Post #3 - February 11th, 2006, 6:36 pm
    Post #3 - February 11th, 2006, 6:36 pm Post #3 - February 11th, 2006, 6:36 pm
    Tuscany Cafe, directly across the hall, is now serving hot dogs.
  • Post #4 - February 13th, 2006, 2:09 pm
    Post #4 - February 13th, 2006, 2:09 pm Post #4 - February 13th, 2006, 2:09 pm
    Just noticed the Fluky's on Western near Pratt is now "Lucky Dog."

Truthfully, Fluky's was never my first choice for dog or dog-like cuisine; I wonder what happened, though.
  • Post #5 - February 13th, 2006, 3:35 pm
    Post #5 - February 13th, 2006, 3:35 pm Post #5 - February 13th, 2006, 3:35 pm
    The hot dogs were not bad there, but it was incredibly expensive. It is no loss.
  • Post #6 - February 13th, 2006, 4:01 pm
    Post #6 - February 13th, 2006, 4:01 pm Post #6 - February 13th, 2006, 4:01 pm
    DML wrote:The hot dogs were not bad there, but it was incredibly expensive. It is no loss.

I don't know about "incredibly", it was still a relatively cheap eat but certainly I'd agree not the cheapest. Destination hot dog joint? No. Decent (and clean) hot dog joint when I had something across the street at Chicago Harley or 20 minutes to kill from dropping the car off at Jiffy Lube down the street? Yes. So, for me, it may be a loss but then I haven't given the new joint a chance yet. Who knows, it might even be better . . . and incredibly cheaper. :)
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #7 - February 13th, 2006, 4:05 pm
    Post #7 - February 13th, 2006, 4:05 pm Post #7 - February 13th, 2006, 4:05 pm
    I may be wrong, but I thought it was about $9 for one hotdog, fries, and a drink. I consider that incredibly expensive for a hot dog.
    It is all about context: $500 for dinner at Alinea = reasonably priced. $9 for a hot dog = incredibly expensive.
    I also note that the Health Dept. signs posted indicated minor problems, so I'm not sure I would give it a "clean" rating.
    At times it wasn't bad though. There is not much real fast food in that area.
  • Post #8 - February 13th, 2006, 4:22 pm
    Post #8 - February 13th, 2006, 4:22 pm Post #8 - February 13th, 2006, 4:22 pm
    DML wrote: There is not much real fast food in that area.

Which I've never understood, considering one of Chicago's real jewels - Indian Boundary Park - which IS a destination, is right around the corner. I usually take my family to the golden arches afterward, but wistfully thinking of Max's a little further down...

I have to say, most Chicago dog joints do a better job with the dogs, fries, and beef than Fluky's IMO
  • Post #9 - February 13th, 2006, 4:36 pm
    Post #9 - February 13th, 2006, 4:36 pm Post #9 - February 13th, 2006, 4:36 pm
    Mike's, right on the other side of Western at Lunt, isn't bad, as totally generic Greek burger and dog places run by Koreans go.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #10 - February 13th, 2006, 4:49 pm
    Post #10 - February 13th, 2006, 4:49 pm Post #10 - February 13th, 2006, 4:49 pm
    DML wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought it was about $9 for one hotdog, fries, and a drink. I consider that incredibly expensive for a hot dog.
    It is all about context: $500 for dinner at Alinea = reasonably priced. $9 for a hot dog = incredibly expensive.
    I also note that the Health Dept. signs posted indicated minor problems, so I'm not sure I would give it a "clean" rating.
    At times it wasn't bad though. There is not much real fast food in that area.

Goodness, I never paid anywhere close to that. Yes, that is incredibly expensive for a hot dog joint. It's been probably over 2 years since I ate there so my info is obviously dated. For a standard dog/fries/drink meal there's no way I'd spend that.
  • Post #11 - February 13th, 2006, 6:58 pm
    Post #11 - February 13th, 2006, 6:58 pm Post #11 - February 13th, 2006, 6:58 pm
    I wouldn't drop $500 at Alinea or any other of those beloved frou frou joints even if i was seated at the table with Richard Daley or George Bush.I'll take a hotdog thank you.I like good hearty food-i'm a guy.
  • Post #12 - February 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
    Post #12 - February 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm Post #12 - February 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
    grant wrote:I wouldn't drop $500 at Alinea or any other of those beloved frou frou joints even if i was seated at the table with Richard Daley or George Bush.I'll take a hotdog thank you.I like good hearty food-i'm a guy.

Well I'm a guy and I must admit I really don't follow your attempted point.
  • Post #13 - February 14th, 2006, 10:26 am
    Post #13 - February 14th, 2006, 10:26 am Post #13 - February 14th, 2006, 10:26 am
    Mhays wrote:Just noticed the Fluky's on Western near Pratt is now "Lucky Dog."

Truthfully, Fluky's was never my first choice for dog or dog-like cuisine; I wonder what happened, though.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?ffcb10-fe8 ... 3016727260

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #14 - February 14th, 2006, 6:04 pm
    Post #14 - February 14th, 2006, 6:04 pm Post #14 - February 14th, 2006, 6:04 pm
    Ronnie, thanks for posting that. It was a pretty interesting read.
  • Post #15 - February 14th, 2006, 7:00 pm
    Post #15 - February 14th, 2006, 7:00 pm Post #15 - February 14th, 2006, 7:00 pm
    midas wrote:Ronnie, thanks for posting that. It was a pretty interesting read.

My pleasure. I enjoyed reading those few bits of actual history which made it into the release.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #16 - February 15th, 2006, 9:28 am
    Post #16 - February 15th, 2006, 9:28 am Post #16 - February 15th, 2006, 9:28 am
    midas wrote:Ronnie, thanks for posting that. It was a pretty interesting read.

Midas,

I agree, interesting link. I don't think, even though they said there will be a some menu changes, that U Lucky Dawg will change much from when it was a Fluky's, at least not where it really counts, the hot dog. The Estes have owned the location for 8-years and have been serving Vienna natural casing dogs, not the Fluky corporate skinless dog, all along.

In the past I've liked this (6821 N Western) location of Fluky's precisely because they served natural casing dogs, I expect I will like it as well, or more, after the name change. I wonder if they are going to change from the skinny, no-peel fry to the thicker house-cut style as they serve at Max's, which they also own? I like both, as long as they are crisp, with a slight preference to house-cut with a little peel left on.

My current favorite hot dog stand, Herm's has the skinny, crisp kind, Poochie's, home of EatChicago's favorite Char Salami, which is a great cure for a night of drinking, has thick house-cut and are excellent fries, though not quite up to another favorite hot dog stand Jimmy's.

Enjoy,
    Gary

U Lucky Dawg
    6821 N. Western Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60645
    773-274-3652

Max's Italian Beef
    5754 North Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773-989-8200

Herm's Hot Dog Palace
    3406 Dempster St
    Skokie, IL 60076
    847-673-9757

Jimmy's Red Hots
    4000 West Grand Ave
    Chicago, IL 60651
    773-384-9513

Poochie's
    3832 Dempster St
    Skokie, IL 60076
    847-673-0100
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - February 15th, 2006, 9:46 am
    Post #17 - February 15th, 2006, 9:46 am Post #17 - February 15th, 2006, 9:46 am
    But as the owner of Jimmy's once told me, "If you want a pickle, go to Poochie's."
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #18 - February 15th, 2006, 11:20 am
    Post #18 - February 15th, 2006, 11:20 am Post #18 - February 15th, 2006, 11:20 am
    Especially that they also own Max's, which I always thought was far superior (can't say I agree about the fries at Fluky's - probably a large part of the reason I didn't like it)

Just went to Lincolnwood Mall, and the Fluky's in the food court is still a Fluky's.
  • Post #19 - February 15th, 2006, 11:37 am
    Post #19 - February 15th, 2006, 11:37 am Post #19 - February 15th, 2006, 11:37 am
    Fluky's on Western Ave. has been one of the most consistently good hot dog places I've frequented during the past 2-3 years. I live close by and stop once or twice a week. The staff all appear well trained, the dogs are served as expected, without surprises, and the place is kept very clean. My understanding is that the owner of Fluky's (the parent co.) is a s.o.b. to deal with and that just about anyone coming into contact with him/his family is challenged to keep their cool.

Apparently, Fluky came up with their own brand of hot dog and has been pressuring the franchise operators to switch from Vienna natural casing dogs. There were also pressures applied, I'm told, to change other products and the Estes family resisted these collective changes.

The Estes' should be congratulated, and encouraged for what appears to me to be their attempt to maintain a quality operation. Of course, "quality", like "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder. I'll cast my vote for Estes vs. Fluky's.
  • Post #20 - February 15th, 2006, 3:46 pm
    Post #20 - February 15th, 2006, 3:46 pm Post #20 - February 15th, 2006, 3:46 pm
    Bill wrote:
    Apparently, Fluky came up with their own brand of hot dog and has been pressuring the franchise operators to switch from Vienna natural casing dogs. There were also pressures applied, I'm told, to change other products and the Estes family resisted these collective changes.

I believe their dog is made by Klement's Sausage Co out of Milwaukee WI.

U Lucky Dawg. Not sure if I like the name. Too close to U Dawg U. Do I smell a lawsuit?
  • Post #21 - February 15th, 2006, 6:55 pm
    Post #21 - February 15th, 2006, 6:55 pm Post #21 - February 15th, 2006, 6:55 pm
    Well I go back to the time when Fluky's was still on Western, but south of Pratt on the west side of the street. I've actually only been to the the Estes run Fluky's a few times since they bought the place. It's been about 9 years since I moved from the neighborhood and I might have been there 2 or 3 times.

I found the food pretty much the same. I usually order the Polish and I can't complain that they changed it much.

Never been a fan of the fries. But one thing really has changed, the little old ladies. The place was always manned by little old ladies that were just a hoot to deal with. A little piece of the charm left when the got rid of the grannie brigade.
  • Post #22 - February 16th, 2006, 3:34 pm
    Post #22 - February 16th, 2006, 3:34 pm Post #22 - February 16th, 2006, 3:34 pm
    I frequented the old location as a kid growing up (believe it was N of Pratt), and I get to the new location when I can.

Legend has it, when the new Fluky's opened, the workers did a "all right let's go!" and walked down Western in the middle of day, with the grill man carrying the huge pile of grilled onions.
  • Post #23 - February 22nd, 2006, 3:18 pm
    Post #23 - February 22nd, 2006, 3:18 pm Post #23 - February 22nd, 2006, 3:18 pm
    I went up to U Lucky Dawg on saturday for dinner. I had never visited when it carried the Fluky's name, so I don't have any comparison as to whether the prices or fries changed...

2 hot dogs, large fries, and medium drink came to about $8.60. This was via the hot dog meal (#1 I believe) and an additional hot dog. Definitely on the expensive side...

Fries were crinkle-cut, but not hand-cut (unless I really missed something). They were pretty tasty, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Last time I was at Max's, I ordered the ghetto fries, so I really don't have any idea if U Lucky Dawg was serving the same style fries.

The dogs themselves were great...expertly and efficiently prepared with all the trimmings. Good snap and flavor to the dog. The pickles were oddly tasteless, though.

After payment, I was handed a little hot dog shaped photo holder with "U Lucky Dawg" and their phone number on the side, as well as frequent eaters card...10 stamps (1 stamp per visit) and the sandwich of your choice is free.
    "Ah, lamentably no, my gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety" - Homer J. Simpson
  • Post #24 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:18 pm
    Post #24 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:18 pm Post #24 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:18 pm
    Now this begs the question: does the U Lucky Dog on Western still have the hot dog shaped gum? As a kid, the "Fluky's Gum" was my favorite part of the meal.
  • Post #25 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:47 pm
    Post #25 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:47 pm Post #25 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:47 pm
    Swanline wrote:Now this begs the question: does the U Lucky Dog on Western still have the hot dog shaped gum? As a kid, the "Fluky's Gum" was my favorite part of the meal.

Didn't see any...and I was kinda looking for it...
    "Ah, lamentably no, my gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety" - Homer J. Simpson
  • Post #26 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:49 pm
    Post #26 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:49 pm Post #26 - February 22nd, 2006, 4:49 pm
    clogoodie wrote:
    Swanline wrote:Now this begs the question: does the U Lucky Dog on Western still have the hot dog shaped gum? As a kid, the "Fluky's Gum" was my favorite part of the meal.

Didn't see any...and I was kinda looking for it...

I think Fluky's (on Western) got rid of the gum a while ago. At one point, they started charging for it and then I think it disappeared alltogether.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #27 - February 24th, 2006, 4:21 pm
    Post #27 - February 24th, 2006, 4:21 pm Post #27 - February 24th, 2006, 4:21 pm
    Availability of the gum, I understand, was among the tensions between the owners of Fluky's and the licensees on Western, one of the reasons the latter changed the name.

Meanwhile, a new Fluky's is opening next month in Buffalo Grove at Busch and Weiland.
  • Post #28 - March 2nd, 2006, 8:30 am
    Post #28 - March 2nd, 2006, 8:30 am Post #28 - March 2nd, 2006, 8:30 am
    clogoodie wrote:After payment, I was handed a little hot dog shaped photo holder with "U Lucky Dawg" and their phone number on the side,

Clogoodie,

Ahh, that's what it is, I couldn't quite figure out it's intended use, aside from a roach clip, but that seemed unlikely. :) As you might guess I went to U Lucky Dawg myself, I thought it quite good, a solid B, reliable, the type of hot dog stand you're happy to have in your neighborhood, same as before the name change. Fries were, as you said, crinkle cut, but mine were nice and crisp, as I asked, though, now that I think of it, the pickle, as you mention, was a smidgen bland.

As I walked in I noticed a small hand lettered sign advertising Habanero Dogs, which sounded good to this chile-head. MaryAnn poppy seed bun, check, nice size natural casing hot dog check, stripe of yellow mustard check, ribbon of nacho cheese from the pump ~yikes~, what's up with that? Worst of all I thought that the processed cheese was going to be the habanero delivery vehicle.

Not to worry, the counter man disappeared for a second and when he returned my dog was topped with lightly grilled onion and very thinly sliced fresh habanero. This is no play habanero dog, no more sizzle than steak habanero dog, there is some serious heat in this puppy. Two bites and I started to sniffle and when I was done I knew I had been eating something spicy.

I was initially worried the processed cheese would ruin the dog, but, surprisingly, the gooey, slightly oily fake cheese seemed to compliment the overall package. If for nothing more than to make sure the slices of habanero didn't fall off the hot dog. Next habanero dog I will order without processed cheese, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the rare instance where pump nacho cheese worked.

Enjoy,
    Gary

U Lucky Dawg
    6821 N. Western Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60645
    773-274-3652 U
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #29 - March 2nd, 2006, 9:42 am
    Post #29 - March 2nd, 2006, 9:42 am Post #29 - March 2nd, 2006, 9:42 am
    The change in names on Western Ave. demonstrates that a business like that, which has been operating at the same location for years, can overcome the disassociation with a franchisor and continue to do well. Most people probably don't associate Fluky's with franchise - probably thinking they're all under common ownership - but some other businesses do fail when they drop a popular name.

The mother of the owner of the Western Ave. location is a neighbor of mine and I was with her at a condo association meeting Tuesday night and took advantage of the occasion to ask how the name transition has gone. She seemed a bit perturbed at the question and replied, "What did you expect, my son runs a very good business." She said there's been no negatives thus far, no do I expect there to be.

I stick to the traditionally-served dogs and eschew things like Habanero Dogs, duck dogs, whatever. They might be popular with some, I understand - but I think the "branching out" to those types of products are what a franchisor might not permit (unless it's a "roll out" from the home office), and going it alone gives the unit owner the opportunity to try things previously off-limits.
  • Post #30 - March 2nd, 2006, 10:22 am
    Post #30 - March 2nd, 2006, 10:22 am Post #30 - March 2nd, 2006, 10:22 am
    Bill wrote:I stick to the traditionally-served dogs and eschew things like Habanero Dogs, duck dogs, whatever. They might be popular with some, I understand - but I think the "branching out" to those types of products are what a franchisor might not permit (unless it's a "roll out" from the home office), and going it alone gives the unit owner the opportunity to try things previously off-limits.

That might be true at Fluky's, but is it really true for most franchisors? Remember, franchisees invented the Big Mac, Filet-o-Fish, and Egg McMuffin..
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events