LTH Home

Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 8th, 2007, 2:51 pm
    Post #31 - February 8th, 2007, 2:51 pm Post #31 - February 8th, 2007, 2:51 pm
    I must say I'm biased - the ramen I grew up on in Indonesia is my favorite, both Supermie (which my american friends think is hilarious) and Indofood.

Snack at elementary school often consisted of a bag of ramen that we would squish to break apart the noodles, and then open up and add the spices. I still think it's good and I can't believe American kids haven't discovered it yet. Can't be any worse then our overly seasoned potato chips.
  • Post #32 - July 21st, 2014, 10:49 pm
    Post #32 - July 21st, 2014, 10:49 pm Post #32 - July 21st, 2014, 10:49 pm
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - July 21st, 2014, 11:25 pm
    Post #33 - July 21st, 2014, 11:25 pm Post #33 - July 21st, 2014, 11:25 pm
    Cool video, Cathy2. Thanks.

I've seen videos of guys making the hand-made noodles. It would be interesting to taste them side by side, to find out what the difference is.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #34 - October 31st, 2018, 7:27 am
    Post #34 - October 31st, 2018, 7:27 am Post #34 - October 31st, 2018, 7:27 am
    Picking up various Hmart items and could not resist Samyang Spicy Chicken Ramen w/cheese. Astoundingly, it was tasty, though I'm good on sodium until mid November.

ChickenCheeseRamenPost3.jpg Samyang hot chicken cheese ramen

My current favorite packaged ramen is Shin Ramyun Black, typically spicy. A little more balance, though only in comparison to other Asian instant noodles. There is an astounding variety, H Mart Niles shows 140 options on their web site alone. Next I want to dip my toe in the Malaysian instant noodle game. :)

ChickenCheeseRamenPost4.jpg Top is Neoguri spicy seafood udon one of the HMart managers recommend. Bottom, my preferred Shin Black

Recent Chicago Tribune Food & Dining article on Trib food writer "hacks" for personalizing ramen by the ever talented Louisa Chu.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - October 31st, 2018, 7:44 am
    Post #35 - October 31st, 2018, 7:44 am Post #35 - October 31st, 2018, 7:44 am
    Busy and on a budget? 12 of the best and worst instant noodles
    Dominic Armato, Arizona Republic newspaper and once a regular poster/moderator on LTHforum did this piece in August. He tried 40 ramen noodles, then offered the top and bottom 12. Since he has sensibilities we can relate to, his list is more meaningful than most.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #36 - October 31st, 2018, 8:00 am
    Post #36 - October 31st, 2018, 8:00 am Post #36 - October 31st, 2018, 8:00 am
    G Wiv wrote:Picking up various Hmart items and could not resist Samyang Spicy Chicken Ramen w/cheese. Astoundingly, it was tasty, though I'm good on sodium until mid November.

ChickenCheeseRamenPost3.jpg

My current favorite packaged ramen is Shin Ramyun Black, typically spicy. A little more balance, though only in comparison to other Asian instant noodles. There is an astounding variety, H Mart Niles shows 140 options on their web site alone. Next I want to dip my toe in the Malaysian instant noodle game. :)

ChickenCheeseRamenPost4.jpg

Recent Chicago Tribune Food & Dining article on Trib food writer "hacks" for personalizing ramen by the ever talented Louisa Chu.

My family, kids especially, love Neoguri. One of the things we had to bring whenever visiting them at college was a case of Neoguri.
  • Post #37 - October 31st, 2018, 8:01 am
    Post #37 - October 31st, 2018, 8:01 am Post #37 - October 31st, 2018, 8:01 am
    Cathy2 wrote:He tried 40 ramen noodles, then offered the top and bottom 12.

Best: Samyang Cheese Hot Chicken Flavor Ramen in the top tier. Nice to see Dom is on the same cheesy hot chicken ramen page as me. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #38 - October 31st, 2018, 8:48 am
    Post #38 - October 31st, 2018, 8:48 am Post #38 - October 31st, 2018, 8:48 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Busy and on a budget? 12 of the best and worst instant noodles
    Dominic Armato, Arizona Republic newspaper and once a regular poster/moderator on LTHforum did this piece in August. He tried 40 ramen noodles, then offered the top and bottom 12. Since he has sensibilities we can relate to, his list is more meaningful than most.

Thanks for posting this, Cathy. I've always enjoyed Dom's writing and there were a few that made me laugh out loud.

Within this yellow pouch, biangbiangmian — the culinary pride of Shaanxi — is reduced to a pile of sticky, gelatinous noodles with the flavor of a petroleum product and the consistency of toad snot.
    -Mary
  • Post #39 - October 31st, 2018, 9:19 am
    Post #39 - October 31st, 2018, 9:19 am Post #39 - October 31st, 2018, 9:19 am
    I just saw this on another thread, which can be useful here, too:
    Subject: Can Naf Naf's success be repeated?

Geo wrote:IMHO, the main issue is that we're (and I mean many of us LTHers and folks like us) hobbled by questions of "authenticity". It doesn't matter how it tastes in terms of whether we enjoy eating it or not, but whether or not it's "the real thing."

:(

I just wandered through a discussion on the New York Times food page regarding an instant ramen recipe that used butter and slices of American cheese. Many people were horrified and refused to even consider making it because it so violated their ramen principles. Then it turned out that Southern California Korean-Americans have long ago instituted precisely this recipe as one of their stalwarts for feeding the kids after school. It's their "peanut butter and jelly sandwich." Can't get more authentic than that. Then, it turns out that the folks who tried the recipe said it tasted pretty damn good.

Authentic, schmauthentic. If it tastes good and/or meets your functional needs, eat it!

Geo

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016583-perfect-instant-ramen
    Cathy2

• Post #40 - April 8th, 2020, 12:29 pm
    Post #40 - April 8th, 2020, 12:29 pm Post #40 - April 8th, 2020, 12:29 pm
    Shin Ramyun Noodles Black w/egg and cheese = Social Distancing cooking

ShinRamenP3.jpg Shin Ramyun

ShinRamenP2.jpg Shin Ramyun Noodles Black
    ShinRamenP1.jpg Shin Ramyun Noodles Black

Shin Ramyun, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #41 - April 11th, 2020, 9:45 am
    Post #41 - April 11th, 2020, 9:45 am Post #41 - April 11th, 2020, 9:45 am
    Ramen Noodles -made by a Thai Chef-
    into a dish evoking her Childhood comfort food?
    Look no further than here......
    https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/pad-mama/
  • Post #42 - April 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm
    Post #42 - April 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm Post #42 - April 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm
    My favorite ramen noodle is the Lucky Me! Instant Pancit Canton that is found at many Asian and all Filipino markets. It is produced in the Philippines and includes noodles, a seasoning package, and a package of soy sauce and calamansi juice.

It is generally the ONLY ramen noodle package that I use as there is only 230 mg of sodium per serving. I like to thrown in some shrimp and some of my home grown scallions.
  • Post #43 - June 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm
    Post #43 - June 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm Post #43 - June 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm
    Boated up a pack of Shin Ramyun spicy, not black, today for lunch. Spice packs, noodles, HMart dumplings, leftover corn, couple of eggs, crushed red peppers and sesame seeds.

The Bride was not enamored, she had toasted rye and two over easy, I enjoyed solo. Thought about adding cheese and leftover bacon but figured lunch was boogied up enough as is. Good on salt for a week.

Ramen4.jpg Shin Ramyun

Ramen1.jpg Shin Ramyun

Shin Ramyun, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #44 - March 15th, 2024, 3:03 pm
    Post #44 - March 15th, 2024, 3:03 pm Post #44 - March 15th, 2024, 3:03 pm
    Oodles of noodles: how a global favourite became an economic red flag

https://www.ft.com/content/fa3d201e-0e0 ... 5c7312becd
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #45 - March 15th, 2024, 4:34 pm
    Post #45 - March 15th, 2024, 4:34 pm Post #45 - March 15th, 2024, 4:34 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Oodles of noodles: how a global favourite became an economic red flag

I am calling BS on this portion of the article:
    Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.

"They are a portable, resilient and long-lasting store of nourishment in times of need — from dire to impulsive and all points between. There is a reason that instant noodles have replaced cigarettes as the primary currency of the informal economy in dismally catered US prisons."

As someone who worked in county jails, state prisons, and federal prisons for 30 years, this quote is BS. Noodles did not replace cigarettes as prison currency because of they are cheap, easy to store, and have a 1/2 life of 200 years. Cigarettes are no longer currency in lock ups around this country because smoking is banned and the commissary's no longer sell smokes.
  • Post #46 - March 15th, 2024, 9:17 pm
    Post #46 - March 15th, 2024, 9:17 pm Post #46 - March 15th, 2024, 9:17 pm
    And I thought it was pouches of tuna and salmon - prison food is notoriously short on protein.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #47 - March 16th, 2024, 8:34 am
    Post #47 - March 16th, 2024, 8:34 am Post #47 - March 16th, 2024, 8:34 am
    JoelF wrote:And I thought it was pouches of tuna and salmon - prison food is notoriously short on protein.

I've spent some time in prison (on the less confining side of the bars). The protein of choice (as in "choose whatever you like as long as it's xxx") is bologna.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more