LTH Home

SGD Dubu Glenview and nearby lunch spots

SGD Dubu Glenview and nearby lunch spots
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 11
  • Post #61 - October 26th, 2018, 2:27 pm
    Post #61 - October 26th, 2018, 2:27 pm Post #61 - October 26th, 2018, 2:27 pm
    Chicken Ati-Atihan
    9054 W Golf Rd, Niles

03757D01-61B8-443A-9DB0-BA8709AF581A.jpeg Wow! Another feast! :)

I love Filipino food and there were several items I wanted to try so once again I over ordered. Good thing My Bride also enjoys Filipino and also doesn't mind eating leftovers. We are set for the weekend.

First time at a restaurant I will try their signature item if they have it and in this case it was...

0C001AB5-E74B-429D-9D0B-E5FA53306385.jpeg Chicken Atiatihan

Very good! A nice grilled flavor, tender meat (I got the dark) and a sweet marinade/baste that went well with the salty/sour dipping sauce. Nice crunchy skin with caramelized glaze... Mmmmm...

AF77D758-1334-459F-BAB3-E12DBA249471.jpeg Lechon Kawali

Often another star will be the crispy pork and here it seemed like deep fried belly. Light, crispy skin and even a bit of crunch on the meat side. Nice sized order with a peanut dipping sauce.

I've gotten ahead of myself listing the entrees before the soup and appetizers.

The usual Lumpia was nicely presented and prepared. Light crispy wrapper and they had a choice of chicken or pork. Familiar with chicken I chose the pork. I enjoyed it a lot.

CBDD7730-F74F-4C72-8A51-30955B17EA1B.jpeg

The Chicken Tinola Soup had me leery with it's clear broth but there was a good presence of spice. The vegetables and chicken were also good but better dipped in a little bit of soy/vinegar.

01326D1B-9337-4A86-B158-5C5E447EDDBB.jpeg

Noodle dish. I always enjoy a bucket of Pansit but on the landing page they listed Bihon Guisado which is made with corn starch noodles (?!?). You also had your choice of meat of which I went with bits of chicken.

F48DA271-9728-415D-B1D4-E0904398C1D5.jpeg

Mild but good flavor. As usual I will add a splash of soy.

A very nice visit!
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on January 24th, 2019, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #62 - October 26th, 2018, 4:02 pm
    Post #62 - October 26th, 2018, 4:02 pm Post #62 - October 26th, 2018, 4:02 pm
    Thanks to Panther for finding today's location. I will plan to bring my group here for dinner, maybe February....

For next Friday I am scheduled to volunteer at WFMT through 12:30. It is the last scheduled day of the fund drive so either they will end early and I can come, or things will be fast and furious and I more likely will stay later (I did not volunteer for another shift because I could not stay for a whole second shift).
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #63 - October 26th, 2018, 4:17 pm
    Post #63 - October 26th, 2018, 4:17 pm Post #63 - October 26th, 2018, 4:17 pm
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on January 24th, 2019, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #64 - October 26th, 2018, 5:40 pm
    Post #64 - October 26th, 2018, 5:40 pm Post #64 - October 26th, 2018, 5:40 pm
    dsc_4183.jpg raw seafood

Kinilaw (raw tuna). I didn't realize it would be a "soup", but I like soup. Warning, it was quite sour, but luckily I like sour. And a small quantity, so good for my diet. Sorry, I had camera trouble so didn't get a second photo with flash.

I also forgot to photo my dessert of Turon, which was also very good.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #65 - October 28th, 2018, 9:04 am
    Post #65 - October 28th, 2018, 9:04 am Post #65 - October 28th, 2018, 9:04 am
    For some reason, I cannot highlight-copy-paste from this site. Can anyone suggest a way to print out a copy of that great long list of Glenview area restaurants on this thread?

My husband and I would really appreciate it. We have been telling ourselves that we need some new area restaurants and here they are!

Thanks, all! What a great collaborative effort. --Joy
  • Post #66 - October 28th, 2018, 9:46 am
    Post #66 - October 28th, 2018, 9:46 am Post #66 - October 28th, 2018, 9:46 am
    Joy wrote:For some reason, I cannot highlight-copy-paste from this site. Can anyone suggest a way to print out a copy of that great long list of Glenview area restaurants on this thread?

You may want to try a different browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox). I tried all 3 on Windows 10 desktop PC and all I can copy, high lite, and paste from this thread.

You can also clarify what devices your using (ie Ipad, Phone, Desktop, Windows/Apple).
  • Post #67 - October 28th, 2018, 11:06 am
    Post #67 - October 28th, 2018, 11:06 am Post #67 - October 28th, 2018, 11:06 am
    Joy wrote:For some reason, I cannot highlight-copy-paste from this site. Can anyone suggest a way to print out a copy of that great long list of Glenview area restaurants on this thread?

Maybe if you try to quote that post, then select the text, Ctrl+C or Ctrl+X, then paste into word. The fact you were able to write a post makes me confident this will work.

Also, go to Plateia if you have not been!
  • Post #68 - October 28th, 2018, 11:47 am
    Post #68 - October 28th, 2018, 11:47 am Post #68 - October 28th, 2018, 11:47 am

My husband and I would really appreciate it. We have been telling ourselves that we need some new area restaurants and here they are!

Thanks, all! What a great collaborative effort. --Joy

Joy, do you mean the list in post #20? If you want to PM me an email address, I'll send you a PDF of that --- or the whole thread, if you want.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #69 - October 28th, 2018, 1:49 pm
    Post #69 - October 28th, 2018, 1:49 pm Post #69 - October 28th, 2018, 1:49 pm
    Thanks very much, Katie! I will do that.

And thanks to other repliers. I will slowly investigate your recommendations.
  • Post #70 - October 28th, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Post #70 - October 28th, 2018, 2:16 pm Post #70 - October 28th, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Since you're going to be around the area for a bit longer:

Spiro's Deli
    1210 Waukegan Rd.
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 729-6650

Famous for the Bomber - Italian beef, cheese, onions, pickles and special sauce. Trust me, it works. Subs and sausage products are top notch. Great house cut fries.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #71 - October 28th, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Post #71 - October 28th, 2018, 3:27 pm Post #71 - October 28th, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Since you're going to be around the area for a bit longer:

Spiro's Deli
    1210 Waukegan Rd.
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 729-6650

Famous for the Bomber - Italian beef, cheese, onions, pickles and special sauce. Trust me, it works. Subs and sausage products are top notch. Great house cut fries.

+1
    Spiro's is around the corner from my barber, and I've been a few times. I haven't tried the Bomber, but I can vouch for their burgers, which are available in two sizes, and the previously mentioned fries.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #72 - October 28th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    Post #72 - October 28th, 2018, 3:51 pm Post #72 - October 28th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Spiro's Deli
    1210 Waukegan Rd.
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 729-6650

Awesome!

I love a great deli! Mmmm... Matzo Ball Soup (or maybe Mish Mash).

Thanks!
  • Post #73 - October 28th, 2018, 3:57 pm
    Post #73 - October 28th, 2018, 3:57 pm Post #73 - October 28th, 2018, 3:57 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:

Spiro's Deli
    1210 Waukegan Rd.
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 729-6650

Awesome!

I love a great deli! Mmmm... Matzo Ball Soup (or maybe Mish Mash).

Thanks!

It's not that kind of Deli, in fact, it's more of a dog/beef stand than a deli, though they do have a display case where they store a lot of their cold cuts and other stuff. If anything, it skews more Italian than Jewish.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #74 - October 30th, 2018, 9:18 am
    Post #74 - October 30th, 2018, 9:18 am Post #74 - October 30th, 2018, 9:18 am
    I made a few trips to research my visit last week to Chicken Ati-Atihan in the Golf Glen Mart Shopping Mall and I was surprised at the wealth of dining in the mall. Almost more restaurants than retail...

BBQ Garden 9020 (Korean BBQ)
    Twin Dragon 9046 (Chinese (Mandrin))
    Chicken Ati-Atihan 9054 (Filipino)
    Jang Choong Dong 9078 (Korean BBQ)
    AGIT Bar & Grill 9098 (Korean Fusion)
    Cid's Ma Mon Luk 9182 (Filipino)
    Kickin Burgers and Wings 9196 (American)

... and of course, the venerable (in an outlot)...
    Omega Restaurant & Bakery 9100 (Greek Diner)

Maybe before I depart the area I might give a couple a try.

Any recommendations would be welcome.
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on January 24th, 2019, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #75 - October 30th, 2018, 11:08 am
    Post #75 - October 30th, 2018, 11:08 am Post #75 - October 30th, 2018, 11:08 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:BBQ Garden 9020 (Korean BBQ)

Twin Dragon is entirely skippable. When I lived near there 30 years ago, they were initially pretty good, went down to mediocre and stayed there.
    Kickin Burgers and Wings is more Korean than American (kimchi burger), haven't tried the wings, the burger was only OK.
    Sorry to see the Bombay Snacks place is gone. They made pretty good samosas, chaat, vada pav (sp?) etc.
    Other than Omega, I haven't been to any of those. Omega is what it is.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #76 - October 31st, 2018, 7:42 pm
    Post #76 - October 31st, 2018, 7:42 pm Post #76 - October 31st, 2018, 7:42 pm
    I should of known better. :(

I had a need for a quick carry out today and took the opportunity to get some of my beloved Egg Foo Young.

Trouble is I should of ordered from the little place not far south but instead chose the fancier ...

Szechwan North
    2857 Pfingsten Rd, Glenview

Beautiful restaurant but not as busy as I would expect. A few tables occupied.

Arrived around 10 minutes after ordering and it was already waiting.

56EC7584-B238-47A6-BADE-91CA1301C216.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong, everything was well prepared and cooked, a bit of a lacy edge on the egg foo young (mushrooms in the gravy and not the patty?), somewhat plump egg roll (a little more peanut butter).

For the money it should of been the best I’ve had. :)

That’s what I get for ordering Cantonese at a Szechwan place.
  • Post #77 - November 1st, 2018, 7:17 am
    Post #77 - November 1st, 2018, 7:17 am Post #77 - November 1st, 2018, 7:17 am
    Haven't been there, but you can also scratch Empire Szechuan and Golden Chef, both on Milwaukee (just north of Golf, and just north of Hintz, respectively).

Empire Szechuan is flavorless. I try it about once every five years just for needing a Chinese fix, and it hasn't gotten any better.
    Golden Chef used to be my go to for Ameri-Chinese, but when the owners turned it over to the kids they dropped a lot of the interesting items from the menu, went to a Chinese/Thai/Pan-Asian fusion, and the life has gone out of the food.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #78 - November 1st, 2018, 8:22 am
    Post #78 - November 1st, 2018, 8:22 am Post #78 - November 1st, 2018, 8:22 am
    JoelF wrote:Haven't been there, but you can also scratch Empire Szechuan and Golden Chef, both on Milwaukee (just north of Golf, and just north of Hintz, respectively).

Empire Szechuan is flavorless. I try it about once every five years just for needing a Chinese fix, and it hasn't gotten any better.
    Golden Chef used to be my go to for Ameri-Chinese, but when the owners turned it over to the kids they dropped a lot of the interesting items from the menu, went to a Chinese/Thai/Pan-Asian fusion, and the life has gone out of the food.

... for my Egg Foo Young I don't have high expectations. Like when I was chatting with an owner not too long ago, he mentioned that most places will be making the exact same patty and the only difference will be in the gravy. Good or bad they will not change the gravy as it is their identity.

The "little place not far south" is ...

Redstar Restaurant
    909 Greenwood, Glenview

Their prices are $8 for 4 patties as opposed to $13 for 3 at SzN (more than 1/2 the price?!?). Egg Rolls are 50¢ cheaper too.

Hoping it will be good enough for me to satisfy my EFY fix. :)
  • Post #79 - November 1st, 2018, 8:36 am
    Post #79 - November 1st, 2018, 8:36 am Post #79 - November 1st, 2018, 8:36 am
    Needing another bottle of Soy Sauce I stopped in...

Assi Plaza
    8901 N Milwaukee Ave, Niles

... and while wondering around I noticed they had a food court...

FOOD COURT
    Doore (Fried) Chicken
    Lai Lai (Chinese)
    Musashi Japanese
    Bob Sang Korean Kitchen
    Chu Ga Dek Snacks (Korean)
    Seoul Seol Leong Tang (Korean)

IN MALL OR GROCERY
    Crescent Bakery (Korean)
    Mirim Rice Cake (Korean)
    Peking Dumpling House
    Sushi To Go

I spotted most of these places except for the dumpling house which always would have my interest.

They also did have a little mall with clothing items and a few non prepared food stalls.

The good thing about a food court is you can try a little here, a little there and sample a few different cuisines in one fell swoop.

The market was nice! Fairly big with a wide selection of Asian foods. Must of been 30 to 40 different varieties of Soy Sauce.

Reminds me of...

Mitsuwa Market Place
    100 E Algonquin Rd, Arlington Heights

... but on a slightly smaller scale.
    Last edited by Panther in the Den on November 2nd, 2018, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #80 - November 1st, 2018, 10:33 am
    Post #80 - November 1st, 2018, 10:33 am Post #80 - November 1st, 2018, 10:33 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:I made a few trips to research my visit last week to Chicken Ati-Atihan in the Golf Glen Mart Shopping Mall and I was surprised at the wealth of dining in the mall. Almost more restaurants than retail...

BBQ Garden 9020 (Korean BBQ)

I know that diversedancer did poke his head into one of the Korean spots after our meal on Friday.

Maybe before I depart the area I might give a couple a try.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

You missed the gem of the mall

Une Année Brewery
    http://uneannee.com/

Belgian style brewery. No food. A little hard to see unless you're looking for it. Sign says "Brewery". I keep thinking a stroll thru this mall snacking then ending up at this brewery would make a fine LTH afternoon. When I'm feeling better I may actually put it up on the board....

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #81 - November 1st, 2018, 10:58 am
    Post #81 - November 1st, 2018, 10:58 am Post #81 - November 1st, 2018, 10:58 am
    Giovanna wrote:You missed the gem of the mall

Une Année Brewery
    http://uneannee.com/

Belgian style brewery. No food. A little hard to see unless you're looking for it. Sign says "Brewery". I keep thinking a stroll thru this mall snacking then ending up at this brewery would make a fine LTH afternoon. When I'm feeling better I may actually put it up on the board....

Giovanna

Actually that was my first, after work, brewery stop in the area.

Actually it has a split personality...

Une Année Brewery
    Hubbard's Cave
    9082 W Golf Rd, Niles

with Une Année producing sour beers and Hubbard's Cave the more traditional.

My beer stops so far...

10-1 = Une Année Brewery/Hubbard's Cave, 9082 W Golf Rd, Niles
    10-8 = Okocim Bar, 6801 W Addison St, Chicago
    (not in the area but a fun stop on the day the breweries were closed)
    10-16 = Macushla Brewing Co, 1516 E Lake Ave, Glenview
    10-24 = Ten Ninety Brewing Co, 1025 N Waukegan Rd, Glenview
    10-29 = Mikerphone Brewery, 121 Garlisch Dr, Elk Grove Village
    (again not in the area but recommended by 2 friends)
    11-5 = Alarmist Brewing & Taproom, 4055 West Peterson Avenue, Chicago
    (again not in the area but recommended by a friend)

Actually, Une Année will probably be my first repeat (when it comes down to that).

Man doesn't live by food alone. :)
  • Post #82 - November 2nd, 2018, 7:18 am
    Post #82 - November 2nd, 2018, 7:18 am Post #82 - November 2nd, 2018, 7:18 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Needing another bottle of Soy Sauce I stopped in...

Assi Plaza
    8901 N Milwaukee Ave, Niles

... and while wondering around I noticed they had a food court...

FOOD COURT
    Doore (Fried) Chicken
    Lai Lai (Chinese)
    Musashi Japanese
    Bob Sang Korean Kitchen
    Chu Ga Dek Snacks (Korean)
    Seoul Seol Leong Tang (Korean)

IN MALL OR GROCERY
    Crescent Bakery (Korean)
    Mirim Rice Cake (Korean)
    Peking Dumpling House
    Sushi To Go

I spotted most of these places except for the dumpling house which asways has my interest.

The dumpling house may be gone - they and the sushi are in the supermarket, and last time I was in there a couple weeks ago, the dumpling stand was being disassembled. Maybe an upgrade?

The food court has one problem for me: almost everything is designed as a full, dinner-sized meal. I'd be happier with smaller, lunch-sized and -priced portions. Missing are side dishes and appetizers that would make a good snack. The Musashi Japanese place makes a very good katsu curry, but it's a big serving, with rice, cabbage, and soup.

The bakery makes some interesting savory items -- they can fulfill that small lunch/snack need. Don't miss the curry donut.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #83 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm
    Post #83 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm Post #83 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm
    Another great lunch today! Thanks for the recommendation.

Riobamba Latin Kitchen
    1869 Waukegan Rd, Glenview

6DEAC1F8-DA42-4BF8-9B5E-1443ECE3258A.jpeg Lentil Soup = with Potato, Carrot, Peas

Nice smooth, rich flavor and I attempted to spice it up with the smoky sauce but it resisted as I squirted more and more and more... :) A surprising back flavor of potato which was not all that un-agreeable.

27B8B1C3-E16F-45E4-A6CB-B70D65B35E3A.jpeg Potato Cakes = Llapingachos- Cheese, Fried Egg, Peanut Sauce

Bland but of course it was a potato cake. Hoping the peanut sauce would add some zip, nah. Contemplated dashing it with hot sauce but decided just to have a bland component to the meal.

EE3DF8D7-DD3E-40AD-9FFA-3AE82BF14333.jpeg Abuelas Tamale = Corn Masa Stuffed with Chicken Sofritto

This was pretty good! Fresh, soft and accompanying the chicken was some peas and carrots. This was where I was trying the different hot sauces and decided I was enjoying the Habanero hot sauce the best. Not nearly as hot as a good Mayan Habanero hot sauce.

Hornado Taco = Slow Roasted Pork (missed the photo)

I was really looking forward to this and while it was good and juicy it also was a little bland. I almost prefer a good Cocina Pibil.

E88093E5-3F0F-4534-877E-92753DBA1CE3.jpeg Chimichurri Chicken Sandwich = Grilled Chicken Breast with Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, and Chimichurri Aioli

My guest (Jessica from work) ordered this one and it turned out to be the star of the day. :) She gave me a bite and it was soft, a little messy as the ingredients all blended together nicely. You can see the Chimichurri Aioli coating the chicken. Loved the bun too.

I did do a little research to check for the authentic dishes and most of what I ordered can be attributed to Ecuador and sometimes shares credit with neighboring countries.
  • Post #84 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:30 pm
    Post #84 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:30 pm Post #84 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:30 pm
    Next week.

Brew Monday (11/5)
    Alarmist Brewing & Taproom
    4055 West Peterson Avenue, Suite Rear, Chicago

Into the Northside on a recommendation from a friend.

Lunch Out Friday (11-9)
    Spiro's Deli
    1210 Waukegan Rd, Glenview

Another recent board recommendation that I couldn't resist. I always hope the recommender will show up. :)
  • Post #85 - November 3rd, 2018, 1:06 pm
    Post #85 - November 3rd, 2018, 1:06 pm Post #85 - November 3rd, 2018, 1:06 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Another great lunch today! Thanks for the recommendation.

Riobamba Latin Kitchen
    1869 Waukegan Rd, Glenview

I didn’t see Cuy on the menu...

2C0A743E-CFFE-45F7-ADA9-041712D2CEBC.jpeg
  • Post #86 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:12 pm
    Post #86 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:12 pm Post #86 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:12 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Next week.

Brew Monday (11/5)

Another recent board recommendation that I couldn't resist. I always hope the recommender will show up. :)

Alarmist just won Gold for their Le Jus in the Hazy IPA category this year at GABF which is a pretty big deal since this is the first year the category existed and considering how popular that style is and how many breweries are trying to brew that style. Eris Brewing actually took a silver for their Hazy IPA, and isn't too far from Alarmist (right down the highway) in case you end up in the mood for a 2-beer lunch!
  • Post #87 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm
    Post #87 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm Post #87 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm
    DClose wrote:... in case you end up in the mood for a 2-beer lunch.

I fondly remember the day, lunch where drinking was not frowned upon. :) Trouble is I would get drowsy for that long afternoon.

My brewery visits are after work.
  • Post #88 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:33 pm
    Post #88 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:33 pm Post #88 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:33 pm
    DClose wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:Next week.

Brew Monday (11/5)

Alarmist just won Gold for their Le Jus in the Hazy IPA category...

Eris Brewing actually took a silver for their Hazy IPA, and isn't too far from Alarmist...

This actually sounds like a great idea! A Gold, Silver, 1-2 punch.

Halfway in between is Marie’s where I have a Groupon. :)

Last week at Mikerphone we were indulging in the hazy beers and also what I brought home to My Bride. Tasty!

ERIS Brewery and Cider House
    4240 W Irving Park Rd, Chicago

Marie's Pizza & Liquors
    4129 W Lawrence Ave, Chicago

Mikerphone Brewery
    121 Garlisch Dr, Elk Grove Village
  • Post #89 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:50 pm
    Post #89 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:50 pm Post #89 - November 3rd, 2018, 2:50 pm
    Had lunch at paiks noodles, right next door to so gong dong.

Thought jjangmyeon and jjampong were good versions with the homemade noodles being the real standout. Very good chew.
  • Post #90 - November 3rd, 2018, 3:28 pm
    Post #90 - November 3rd, 2018, 3:28 pm Post #90 - November 3rd, 2018, 3:28 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    DClose wrote:... in case you end up in the mood for a 2-beer lunch.

I fondly remember the day, lunch where drinking was not frowned upon. :) Trouble is I would get drowsy for that long afternoon.

My brewery visits are after work.

Alarmist is in the same building as my former office. They don't open during the week until around 4. Also, no food.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events