LTH Home

Mora Asian Kitchen - Oak Park

Mora Asian Kitchen - Oak Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mora Asian Kitchen - Oak Park

Post #1 - October 17th, 2018, 10:25 am
    Post #1 - October 17th, 2018, 10:25 am Post #1 - October 17th, 2018, 10:25 am
    MORA Asian Kitchen
    201 Harrison St, Oak Park
    http://moraasianfusion.com/

Taking off from a thread here...

viewtopic.php?p=536394#p536394

FC7A82B9-F91A-499D-BD61-26B1F3A44CB3.jpeg

The restaurant is primarily Small Plates with a few Chef's Specials

Passed on the Salads

B919291E-1A5A-42FC-B43A-DA13B9F61C2C.jpeg

Our Feast! There were several items on the menu we wanted to try and the small plates lent us to try many.

Miso Soup - Good, standard. Will not be disappointed

E7753341-5670-43D5-B7DF-B8D9CFDFEFBA.jpeg

Seoul Wings - Both hot and mild. Tender chicken, not as spicy nor crispy as Great Sea. A winner.

414906E8-5FEF-495B-8FC6-23A46519AB6E.jpeg

Pancit Noodles - More of a meal and priced that way. Several big shrimp', nice pieces of longganisa, spaghetti and no rice noodles. Very tasty!

B59EA4E1-BD99-44B0-8AD8-B599443821CD.jpeg

Lumpia - Light, crispy wrapper and fresh innards :) , not greasy. Maybe the best? (vs frozen at most other places)

7DAAEA05-BC1E-4379-A947-A8BCCB4680B0.jpeg

Chicken Satay (already replaced on the menu) - No peanut dipping sauce but the glaze imparted the correct flavor. Tender chicken. Seemed to be a small order (3 skewers but they were pretty big). Good

4905DEC2-CBEB-49C7-8E1E-A9273CB1054C.jpeg

Chef Special
    Basil Chicken - Correct flavor profile, Whole, tender chicken. I really enjoyed it and couldn't wait to have it as a snack later on in the evening.

8923DD15-3298-4FF7-BB69-1E84DA5760DE.jpeg

Drinks were good! Lychee was served as a garnish with my Mai Tai.

F31790BD-6ECE-4C39-A64C-FA2346B1659F.jpeg

Passed on the sushi which is half of the menu

The head chef on the Friday that we went was a Grandma. :) Older, shorter woman with traditional Asian pants and footwear. Chef's jacket. Hat

There are also locations in Bolingbrook and Plainfield

Will it take the place of Lola Tining's? Lola has a bigger variety at a better price point and also an adorable Grandma. :) Everything we tried here was very good though...

Lola Tining's Cuisine
    1141 Garfield St, Oak Park
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #2 - October 21st, 2018, 10:18 am
    Post #2 - October 21st, 2018, 10:18 am Post #2 - October 21st, 2018, 10:18 am
    That basil chicken picture is enough to get me over there! i also live 5 minutes away :lol:
  • Post #3 - October 23rd, 2018, 11:45 am
    Post #3 - October 23rd, 2018, 11:45 am Post #3 - October 23rd, 2018, 11:45 am
    My wife was there over the weekend with a group of friends for drinks and snacks. Positive impressions of the space and food and drink were overshadowed by some service hiccups at the end of the meal. There was some limit to the number of ways they would split the check (not sure of the number, but it was less than the n of the group).

More gallingly, they levy a surcharge of 3% for credit card payment, and apparently there is no way of knowing this until the bill comes with a message to that effect, at which point you're out of luck because you're in the middle of Harrison Street and the nearest ATM is...a quarter mile away? Maybe?

Seems like a really shortsighted policy to me. Once you've decided to play the upscale sushi roll/$12 cocktail game and have "Fusion" in your name, accepting credit cards with a smile should be part and parcel.
  • Post #4 - October 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm
    Post #4 - October 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm Post #4 - October 29th, 2018, 7:03 pm
    We had a full spread from Mora this weekend and I'd rate everything above average for local Pan-Asian, plus the added bonus of the mixed drinks and beer/cider selection being well-curated. I tend to roll my eyes at the "and Sushi!" self-taxonomy but it is not a (total) afterthought here. The fish in the maki and the poke - which also featured aromatic mango and a good ponzu - was beautifully marbled and fresh, and the gari and wasabi were better than standard-issue.

The best dishes were the adobo rice special with pork belly and runny fried egg (really as good as a version I had at Fat Rice at half the cost), Korean wings, and the lumpia, of which we snarfed down two orders.

Quibbles: they were out of shiso leaf for the poke tower and asparagus for the veggie roll and did not mention that at either the point of order or the point of delivery - these important accents / flavors were just absent. (The excellent kanpyo in the latter roll made up for that, and a spicy salmon roll was a well-made inside-out roll showing off the good rice that characterized the whole meal). Second, they have no coat-hooks in the whole restaurant (they're going to have to remedy that soon), especially problematic when 50% of the seating is low stools. Thirdly, twice during our visit in unrelated incidents, full grown adults at other tables toppled off aforementioned low stools, which are dangerously unbalanced. This is about the worst seating scheme since LSC's Clear Plastic Chairs for the Tiny-Assed (CPCTA).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more