LTH Home

LTHforum, The Picnic, 13th Edition, September 23, 2018

LTHforum, The Picnic, 13th Edition, September 23, 2018
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 5
  • LTHforum, The Picnic, 13th Edition, September 23, 2018

Post #1 - July 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am Post #1 - July 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am
    This year we are going back to our roots. Instead of LaBagh Woods, we are returning to where it all began at Forest Glen Woods a short distance away.

Whenever I think of picnics, my mind conjures up Meridith Wilson's song from The Music Man praising Iowa Stubborness … long before any of us knew of LTHforum stubborness:

Iowa Stubborn wrote: … And we're so by God stubborn
    We could stand touchin' noses
    For a week at a time
    And never see eye-to-eye.
    But what the heck, you're welcome,
    Join us at the picnic.
    You can eat your fill
    Of all the food you bring yourself.
    You really ought to give Iowa a try...

Date: Sunday, September 23rd - Rain or Shine

Time:
    - 9 AM (or earlier by arrangement): Smokers and grillers arrive to begin their cooks.
    - 10:30 AM: Help with tidying up, arranging tables and supplies.
    - 11:00 AM: Appetizers/Lunch/Desserts Food will be coming out in waves as they are cooked or as people arrive. It is truly a miraculous vision: Food shows up and people eat it!
    (If you want to try everything, come early and stay late ... don't begin to kvetch if it is gone when you show up fashionably late! :D )
    - 2:00 pm - Pinata breaking (children must bring their parents)
    - 5:00ish - Begin tidying up - please note this is everyone's effort. Leaving early, please do your best to contribute to straightening up or tossing garbage as you depart.
    - 6:30 PM: Sunset - party over followed by the Park District chaining the driveway.

Where: Forest Glen Woods, 5420 N. Forest Glen Avenue, Chicago, IL 60630 pdf

Public transportation: Forest Glen Metra station at 5301 N. LeClaire. Connecting to CTA Foster 92. (If someone offers better transportation instructions, this will be updated)

Driving: Take 94 to the Peterson Exit (only exit east), then turn right (south) onto Cicero Avenue. [Caldwell is not Peterson, do not go west!] Forest Glen Drive will be on the right (west side) taking you into quiet residential neighborhood where our picnic grove is located.

If the chicken is still alive and clucking, then look for her as you turn from Cicero Avenue to Forest Glen Drive.

The chicken seems to live in the nearby woods. She is constantly threatening to cross the road, which might answer an age-old question of why!

Fee: Free!

This is a true do-it-ourselves event where we bring food to share, help set up and clean up. Please advise if you can come early or help later with tidying up. This picnic will leave pleasant memories for all of us when we share the load.

Reserve: By replying on this thread. Your information will be maintained on this reservations list, which can always be checked. Please alert us to any errors. From time to time, we will post a recap on this thread.

Everyone joining in this event is expected to contribute in food and/or supplies, keeping the event orderly and tidy up as you go.

Whatever food you choose to bring, please make sure to keep hot food hot and cold food cold

Thinking what to do? Since this is our community dinner, make the dish your friends have all admired. I am sure you will get the same reaction here.

If you are better at ordering take-out, then consider bringing the following:

- Your favorite take-out!
    - Volunteer to bring one or two loaves of bread from bakers
    - Bring Kvass, Bitter lemon or other foreign sodas .. Good Ol'Coke and Dr. Pepper are ok, too!
    - Cheese or salamis
    - Plastic table settings, paper plates, (good) napkins or cups (from Costco, Sams Club)
    - Baby wipes for cleaning hands
    - Plastic garbage bags
    - Water and Ice is always nice!*

*If you commit and later find you cannot attend, please give advance warning. People may want to keep a stash of water in case there are shortages (like a few years ago).

Supplies from last year were used at other community events such as Laikam's Montrose Harbor grill parties. We found life was made easier for everyone by simply using supplies for ongoing community events.

:idea: If you can bring a bag to collect recyclables to bring home and dispose, that would be terrific.

Picnic Permit Rules and Regulations wrote:
    3. The Forest Preserve District is closed to all visitors after SUNSET. Night picnics are not permitted. Glass beverage containers are not permitted on the Forest Preserve District property.

5. The sale of alcoholic beverages in any form is prohibit.
    6. Before leaving, you must extinguish all fires; collect all your paper debris, bottles and trash and deposit them in the appropriate containers.

10. All ordinances and regulations in effect of the Forest Preserve District must be observed and the instructions of its representatives obeyed. Please note that the consumption of alcohol upon or within 50 feet of any roadway, parking area or entranceway is prohibit. No admission fees or charges may be levied.

Alcohol consumption is allowed in this grove. As stated above, you cannot bring any glass bottles. BYOB -- if you share with someone then it is gift you're sharing.

Tents sized no more than 10x10 are allowed. Anything larger would require a permit we do not intend to pursue.

From talking to the Cook County Forest Preserve Police, the consequences of a violation are: At a minimum two tickets with fines and mandatory court appearances will be issued: to the violator and the person named on the permit. Let's end the day with happy memories. :D

Please reserve by posting below with what you plan to bring to the picnic, where it fits into the meal and how many are attending:

Appetizer
    Bread
    Cheese/Sausage (to be sliced)
    Side Dishes
    Salads
    Main course
    Snacks
    Desserts
    Alcohol beverages
    Non-alcohol beverages
    Tablesettings, paper products, garbage bags

Please advise if your food needs heating, grilling or smoking. Plan to bring your own equipment unless you have arranged to share grill space. If you have a tabletop grill, then be prepared to have it sit on the ground.

We have a special spot in our hearts for unique and weird food. Things you never thought you'd have an opportunity to eat.

:idea: Let's do this again, because it works so well: If you have small bites to easily pick up, consider walking through the crowd offering tastes to people.

Adjacent to our picnic area is a large field for games. I've heard adults are now playing games from their youth like kick ball. If someone brings a ball and refreshes our memories on the rules, there just might be a game. There are trails to the north branch of the Chicago river to trek to. On the grove’s premises are flush toilets and water to clean your hands. If you want to guarantee drinkable water, then bring your own.

Come with the classic LTHforum open spirit to break bread with friends who share your culinary interests.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - July 23rd, 2018, 10:08 am
    Post #2 - July 23rd, 2018, 10:08 am Post #2 - July 23rd, 2018, 10:08 am
    Sadly I will be out of town for this year's picnic . . . I'll miss the food & festivities.
  • Post #3 - July 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm
    Post #3 - July 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm Post #3 - July 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm
    I've got it on my calendar. Happy to say my late September trip isn't until the 25th, so I won't miss this. Hurray.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #4 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:24 pm
    Post #4 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:24 pm Post #4 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:24 pm
    I'l be there with some sort of dish made from a dead critter.
  • Post #5 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm
    Post #5 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm Post #5 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:42 pm
    nr706 wrote:I'l be there with some sort of dish made from a dead critter.

You are pretty good at coming up with stuff one can mark off their life's bucket list.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #6 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:46 pm
    Post #6 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:46 pm Post #6 - July 23rd, 2018, 4:46 pm
    Thank you, Cathy. Julie and I wouldn't miss it. Contributions tbd. I'll update as inspiration hits.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #7 - July 23rd, 2018, 5:05 pm
    Post #7 - July 23rd, 2018, 5:05 pm Post #7 - July 23rd, 2018, 5:05 pm
    BR wrote:Sadly I will be out of town for this year's picnic . . . I'll miss the food & festivities.

Sorry! You always make such exquisite stuff.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #8 - July 23rd, 2018, 5:26 pm
    Post #8 - July 23rd, 2018, 5:26 pm Post #8 - July 23rd, 2018, 5:26 pm
    I will be there with either a salad or dessert. I will bring 1 - 3 semi adult children and/or an adult friend who will also bring food and/or beverages to share. Will refine the numbers as it gets closer.

JennyIL
  • Post #9 - July 23rd, 2018, 9:50 pm
    Post #9 - July 23rd, 2018, 9:50 pm Post #9 - July 23rd, 2018, 9:50 pm
    This sounds good. I will not be out of the country, unlike some previous years :roll: (the FlyerTalk forum trip to Vancouver, BC, Canada is the previous weekend). I will have to investigate what foodstuff I would bring. I am fairly certain I can bring some soda (12-oz. cans) from the beer cellar downstairs.
    Sit by for more transit directions.
    Unfortunately, riding transit to here is problematic, especially if you're toting something bulky or heavy. If you were able to get to Jefferson Park {on the “L” :?:}, you would wind up on the #92 Foster bus. The stop for the forest preserve is Foster & Leclaire: ½ mile south. [Address for here = 5420 N Forest Glen Ave, Chicago, IL 60630] You would pass underneath a railroad embankment. :roll:
    Like I scrawl; it is not going to be fun strolling this distance. I intend to motor here (which should be the blatant tipoff).
    Last edited by pudgym29 on August 20th, 2018, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #10 - July 24th, 2018, 1:13 am
    Post #10 - July 24th, 2018, 1:13 am Post #10 - July 24th, 2018, 1:13 am
    I will be in Chicago that weekend and both myself and Mrs. Jlawrence01 will be there.

As for what I will bring will depend on the quality of the kitchen in the suite hotel that we will be staying at.
  • Post #11 - July 24th, 2018, 7:18 am
    Post #11 - July 24th, 2018, 7:18 am Post #11 - July 24th, 2018, 7:18 am
    SueF and I will certainly be there. Recipes unknown, but past experience is that SueF will make some sort of dessert, and I'll do something salad or dip-like.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - July 24th, 2018, 1:01 pm
    Post #12 - July 24th, 2018, 1:01 pm Post #12 - July 24th, 2018, 1:01 pm
    Sadly the Mr and I will miss this one.
    His cousin's kid is getting married in Fla-ri-da that weekend.
    Maybe the daughter and friends will represent.
    I'll let you know if they do.
    E
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #13 - July 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm
    Post #13 - July 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm Post #13 - July 24th, 2018, 1:35 pm
    irisarbor wrote:Sadly the Mr and I will miss this one.
    His cousin's kid is getting married in Fla-ri-da that weekend.
    Maybe the daughter and friends will represent.
    I'll let you know if they do.
    E

You will be missed. Since you usually bring a container of water or iced tea, could I borrow the container?

It's always better to have more fluid than less.

Have fun at the wedding!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #14 - July 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm
    Post #14 - July 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm Post #14 - July 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm
    i have no problem going back to our original site: but i'm just wondering why you made the change.
    and i'm RSVP'ing for myself, my usual fruit punch and something TBD.....
  • Post #15 - July 24th, 2018, 4:45 pm
    Post #15 - July 24th, 2018, 4:45 pm Post #15 - July 24th, 2018, 4:45 pm
    justjoan wrote:i have no problem going back to our original site: but i'm just wondering why you made the change.
    and i'm RSVP'ing for myself, my usual fruit punch and something TBD.....

The only reason we moved initially was loss of our time slot to someone else. From time to time this space was checked and due to construction was not considered desirable. Now it is a desire to return to see if it is as nice as memories suggest.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #16 - July 27th, 2018, 9:28 am
    Post #16 - July 27th, 2018, 9:28 am Post #16 - July 27th, 2018, 9:28 am
    Hi,

I will bring empty spice containers to give away.

If dog people need plastic bags, I can bring those or I will take them to recycle. Just let me know if any are wanted.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #17 - July 28th, 2018, 2:59 pm
    Post #17 - July 28th, 2018, 2:59 pm Post #17 - July 28th, 2018, 2:59 pm
    I (solo) will have to leave early (by 2 pm or earlier) for another food event far away. Do I take my contribution, or leave it in a disposable container? Or play it by ear (if little interest, take; if popular, leave)?

tentatively : varietal hummus & dip, roll your own cup elotes including vegan.

I gather quantities brought should be large? or at least large compared to what many of us are used to at other gatherings? Did I miss a suggestion to "bring xx servings"?
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #18 - July 28th, 2018, 8:38 pm
    Post #18 - July 28th, 2018, 8:38 pm Post #18 - July 28th, 2018, 8:38 pm
    diversedancer wrote:I gather quantities brought should be large? or at least large compared to what many of us are used to at other gatherings? Did I miss a suggestion to "bring xx servings"?

There will be so much food, expect dozens of tastes, not servings.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #19 - July 30th, 2018, 7:34 am
    Post #19 - July 30th, 2018, 7:34 am Post #19 - July 30th, 2018, 7:34 am
    diversedancer wrote:I (solo) will have to leave early (by 2 pm or earlier) for another food event far away. Do I take my contribution, or leave it in a disposable container? Or play it by ear (if little interest, take; if popular, leave)?

Either bring it in a disposable containers or load onto paper plates. If you feel like taking it with you, that's ok.

I gather quantities brought should be large? or at least large compared to what many of us are used to at other gatherings? Did I miss a suggestion to "bring xx servings"?

JoelF is correct to suggest tasting portions instead of feeding an army.
    Cathy2

• Post #20 - July 31st, 2018, 11:50 am
    Post #20 - July 31st, 2018, 11:50 am Post #20 - July 31st, 2018, 11:50 am
    Forgive my directness, but would someone like me who has been inactive in this forum for many years be out of place if I join the festivities with my family? I would be bringing my wife and two boys (9 and 7).
    -jr
  • Post #21 - July 31st, 2018, 11:50 am
    Post #21 - July 31st, 2018, 11:50 am Post #21 - July 31st, 2018, 11:50 am
    I'll be there. I will figure out what to bring later.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #22 - July 31st, 2018, 12:09 pm
    Post #22 - July 31st, 2018, 12:09 pm Post #22 - July 31st, 2018, 12:09 pm
    Leekman and I will be there
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #23 - July 31st, 2018, 12:21 pm
    Post #23 - July 31st, 2018, 12:21 pm Post #23 - July 31st, 2018, 12:21 pm
    Justin R wrote:Forgive my directness, but would someone like me who has been inactive in this forum for many years be out of place if I join the festivities with my family? I would be bringing my wife and two boys (9 and 7).

Not at all, Justin!
    -Mary
  • Post #24 - July 31st, 2018, 5:46 pm
    Post #24 - July 31st, 2018, 5:46 pm Post #24 - July 31st, 2018, 5:46 pm
    My Bride and I will be in attendance.

Love to sit in Smoker Row so it will be an entree off of charcoal.

My Bride will have some type of side.

Thanks for your work!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #25 - July 31st, 2018, 6:13 pm
    Post #25 - July 31st, 2018, 6:13 pm Post #25 - July 31st, 2018, 6:13 pm
    The GP wrote:
    Justin R wrote:Forgive my directness, but would someone like me who has been inactive in this forum for many years be out of place if I join the festivities with my family? I would be bringing my wife and two boys (9 and 7).

Not at all, Justin!

Justin, you and your family are on the list. Now think up something delicious to bring!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #26 - July 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Post #26 - July 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm Post #26 - July 31st, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    The GP wrote:

Not at all, Justin!

Justin, you and your family are on the list. Now think up something delicious to bring!

Regards,
    Cathy2

Thank you, Cathy! I will begin brainstorming immediately.
    -jr
  • Post #27 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:00 am
    Post #27 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:00 am Post #27 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:00 am
    I will be there, plus two! We will bring the pinata. Do you know if there will be a suitable place to hang it from at this location?

Glenn
  • Post #28 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:04 am
    Post #28 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:04 am Post #28 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:04 am
    glennpan wrote:I will be there, plus two! We will bring the pinata. Do you know if there will be a suitable place to hang it from at this location?

Glenn

Hi,

I think I saw the tree where Ramon (RIP) had set it up originally. It is close to the parking lot.

Octarine lives nearby, I can ask him to do a drive by review.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #29 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:34 am
    Post #29 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:34 am Post #29 - August 2nd, 2018, 7:34 am
    Me + 1
    Contribution TBD
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #30 - August 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm
    Post #30 - August 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm Post #30 - August 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm
    Hi,

glennpan will bring a fully loaded pinata plus stick and rope.

Octarine has checked the site and identified a tree near the handicapped parking.

Due to a recent injuries, we may need some help getting the pinata set up.

Keep this in mind. If you can offer great. If not, then we will see who can help on the day of.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more