LTH Home

Sour Beers

Sour Beers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - September 1st, 2015, 8:47 am
    Post #91 - September 1st, 2015, 8:47 am Post #91 - September 1st, 2015, 8:47 am
    I cant wait to try New Belgium's Le Terroir. I got their Eric's Ale the other day and havent opened that yet either.

New (to me) sours Ive been digging lately are Three Floyd's Skull Ole, Suburban Beverage by Perrennial, Iduna Wild Cru from the Wild Beer Company, Luciernaga Firefly by Jolly Pumpkin, and Pina Agria from Odell. And most of the Almanac sours I tried at their Chicago launch tap takeover at Bangers and Lace the other day were amazing.

Although more in the "funk" category, Ive also got a few bottles of Crooked Stave Surette and Vielle that Im working on as well.

I second the praise for those Destihl sours, love them!
  • Post #92 - September 1st, 2015, 11:26 am
    Post #92 - September 1st, 2015, 11:26 am Post #92 - September 1st, 2015, 11:26 am
    I found the Three Floyd's Skull Ole almost undrinkable, over the top sour & so far out of balance I could not finish the 10 oz pour ($10 to boot!) I've had better sours from TF's in the past.

Just moved to Denver area and have had most of the Crooked Stave beers both on tap at their tap room and in bottles. I find them to be very good and will keep them in the rotation for sure!
  • Post #93 - October 18th, 2015, 11:49 am
    Post #93 - October 18th, 2015, 11:49 am Post #93 - October 18th, 2015, 11:49 am
    In other 3F sour news, cracked a bomber of Pear Bear for Da Bears. It's stupid expensive and on the sweet side (which i know is an instant non-starter for some) but i think this is their best sour offering so far with an incredible pear/apple nose.
  • Post #94 - January 24th, 2016, 4:23 pm
    Post #94 - January 24th, 2016, 4:23 pm Post #94 - January 24th, 2016, 4:23 pm
    not a sour (i know, thread) but Prairie Artisan Ales Brett C is definitely worth seeking out if you're into hops & brett funk
  • Post #95 - January 25th, 2016, 2:40 pm
    Post #95 - January 25th, 2016, 2:40 pm Post #95 - January 25th, 2016, 2:40 pm
    DeStihl Brewing - Here Gose Nothin.

Intensely sour. Just an amazing beer that is readily available and not terribly expensive.
  • Post #96 - March 26th, 2018, 5:55 pm
    Post #96 - March 26th, 2018, 5:55 pm Post #96 - March 26th, 2018, 5:55 pm
    Lol - long time, huh?
    Just a note. I'm usually late to the party about anything and everything.

Example:

Two weeks ago, I had my first Lolita draught.
    It was NOTHING like the bottle I bought a few years ago. Yes, I know that they SHOULD be different, but hot damn...That was the best beer I've had to date. I'm guessing they are pretty pricey when available, but if I ever see it on tap again, it's a definite.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #97 - March 26th, 2018, 6:34 pm
    Post #97 - March 26th, 2018, 6:34 pm Post #97 - March 26th, 2018, 6:34 pm
    seebee wrote:Two weeks ago, I had my first Lolita draught.
    It was NOTHING like the bottle I bought a few years ago. Yes, I know that they SHOULD be different, but hot damn...That was the best beer I've had to date. I'm guessing they are pretty pricey when available, but if I ever see it on tap again, it's a definite.

Does Goose Island still have a tap room? If so, I'm guessing that the Lolita is (almost) always served there. At least, it used to be back in the day, though A LOT has changed in the past few years.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #98 - March 27th, 2018, 11:21 am
    Post #98 - March 27th, 2018, 11:21 am Post #98 - March 27th, 2018, 11:21 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Does Goose Island still have a tap room? If so, I'm guessing that the Lolita is (almost) always served there. At least, it used to be back in the day, though A LOT has changed in the past few years.

=R=

Two, actually. There's the rebranded and redecorated (and now 100% AB-InBev owned) brewpub, Clybourn Brewhouse. They reopened somewhat recently and are not yet producing a lot of beer in-house. Lolita is showing as being on tap at the moment (click 'what's on tap' via the links below).

There's also the tap room at their production facility at Fulton and Wood. No Lolita but they do have last year's Halia.

Also related, they added a private event space to their barrel-aging warehouse (just to round out the Chicago-based Goose facilities).

Goose released a lot of their 'Sour Sisters' in 12oz. 4-packs for $35-40 since last year or so. I didn't see them in the usual places so I don't know if retailers balked at carrying them in the first place or they remain in such limited supply that not much is packaged.

http://www.gooseisland.com/brewhouse-clybourn/
    http://www.gooseisland.com/tours
    http://www.gooseisland.com/barrel-house
    Last edited by danimalarkey on March 27th, 2018, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #99 - March 27th, 2018, 11:43 am
    Post #99 - March 27th, 2018, 11:43 am Post #99 - March 27th, 2018, 11:43 am
    danimalarkey wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Two, actually . . .

Thanks for the intel!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #100 - July 15th, 2019, 9:35 am
    Post #100 - July 15th, 2019, 9:35 am Post #100 - July 15th, 2019, 9:35 am
    I think I've finally figured something out. It's been mentioned here a few times, and I am fully on board:

Berliner Weisse.

It's my "go to" for sampling new brands now, and I think I've really enjoyed every new one I've tried. Each one I've tried has been pretty much the same profile:
    VERY crisp
    Very light
    Very bubbly
    Not hoppy at ALL
    Medium sour finish, more lemony than vinegar to my tongue. Juicy.

Tried a few recently that were really nice for my tastes:
    Stone White Geist
    North Coast Brewing Berliner Weisse Tart Cherry

The North Coast offering was pink in color, and I was hoping it was not sweet. On a 92 degree summer day, sitting outside at a block party, I cracked one open, and after the first taste, i thought to myself "So glad I didn't bring all of them." I would have been trashed. I could drink as many of these as there are. Just EASY, light, slight tang, a barely noticeable trace of sweet - almost PERFECT balance of sweet to fruitiness, like "Is there a hint of sugar in this, or is it just the tart cherry I'm tasting." I'm hitting the Woodman's in Kenosha this week, and buying ALL of it.

I'd be surprised if most beer lovers thought this stuff is horrible. My palate is not a beer palate, but I like what I like.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #101 - July 15th, 2019, 10:30 am
    Post #101 - July 15th, 2019, 10:30 am Post #101 - July 15th, 2019, 10:30 am
    I have been enjoying Revolution Freedom of Speach. Nice, easy sipper on warm summer nights.

I have a couple of bombers of 3 Floyd's Molten Mirrors chilling. Pricey stuff, $20/bomber at Binnys.
  • Post #102 - July 15th, 2019, 10:39 am
    Post #102 - July 15th, 2019, 10:39 am Post #102 - July 15th, 2019, 10:39 am
    We were up in the Twin Cities this past weekend and took in a St. Paul Saints baseball game on Saturday night. It was a hot, summer night and the Mankato Brewery Rhuby Rhubarb Sour was perfect for the conditions.
    -Mary
  • Post #103 - July 17th, 2019, 12:03 pm
    Post #103 - July 17th, 2019, 12:03 pm Post #103 - July 17th, 2019, 12:03 pm
    Une Annee/Hubbard’s Cave Brewery
    9082 W Golf Rd, Niles

Has a good selection of fruited beers with a sour usually on the menu.

Very refreshing, very cold on a hot summers day.

Relaxing taproom as well.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #104 - July 17th, 2019, 3:35 pm
    Post #104 - July 17th, 2019, 3:35 pm Post #104 - July 17th, 2019, 3:35 pm
    6C3A028A-2A93-4223-8C35-9E09481FA709.jpeg

Kinslahger Brewing Company
    6806 Roosevelt Rd, Oak Park
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more