LTH Home

Green River

Green River
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Green River

Post #1 - October 5th, 2015, 8:05 am
    Post #1 - October 5th, 2015, 8:05 am Post #1 - October 5th, 2015, 8:05 am
    I didn't see a topic started for Green River, a new addition to Streeterville. I had been reading about it for a few weeks and decided with a friend coming in from out of the country it might be fun to take her somewhere with a view and fancy cocktails. Mainly I had been reading about the cocktails, however the food was top notch too, I was pleasantly surprised.

First off, the location is a bit odd, it's in one of the Northwestern hospital buildings on the 18th floor, so you have to head past the security desk to the elevator bank (free hand sanitizer!), but once we got out of the elevator the space was BEAUTIFUL. Dark, but not too dark, and had a really nice sleek vibe, with a big bar and an open kitchen. It was too cold to explore the terrace, but I imagine it's fabulous when the weather is better. There was a slight snafu with our seating, they showed us to a table with an amazing view that someone had just been seated at, so they had us wait at the bar for a few while they sorted out the tables. Our party wasn't complete yet, so that was fine. When they did go to seat us, it was at an interior table without the view, so we asked if there was anything open near the windows (friend from out of town), and they happily sat us at a different table, and gave us all a glass of very nice Champagne for our troubles (really no troubles). Service was excellent the whole time we were there.

Sorry I didn't take pictures. There wasn't a huge menu, but we tried a lot of different things and they were all wonderful. We started with the Oysters, they were an East Coast variety that I wasn't familiar with, they were delicious and came with a nice mignonette...I'd been on an Oyster kick lately, having had some at Sink Swim and Fish Bar over the last couple weeks and I actually much preferred these. We also shared the Octopus (delicious and perfectly cooked), the Whitefish Tartine (pretty large portion, very good), Farro Salad with Burrata (really enjoyed it, nutty, creamy goodness) and the Diver Scallops (two large scallops, again cooked perfectly and delicious). Everyone really loved their main courses too, two of us had a red wine Risotto and it was excellent, my s.o. had the Saffron Spaghetti and enjoyed it and another tried the Trout and thought it was great.

As for drinks, we started with cocktails (and Champagne as I mentioned) and switched to wine with dinner. The cocktails were all really well balanced, and our server at the bar was quite helpful as we navigated the extensive list. We tried the Comiskey Park, which was quite sweet (possibly my least favorite of the three), the Grey Wolf, which had much more of a whiskey taste, I loved it, and the Lake Whiskey that was perfect for a cool fall night. They also had a nice wine and beer selection. I would highly recommend checking this place out and I really hope they do well. It wasn't overly expensive, the food and drinks were delicious and it's a lovely space.

Green River
    259 E. Erie Street, 18th Floor
    Chicago, IL 60611
  • Post #2 - October 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm
    Post #2 - October 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm Post #2 - October 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm
    Heh, I was expecting something along the lines of "where can I find the scarily green lime-flavored soda" . . .
  • Post #3 - October 7th, 2015, 9:50 am
    Post #3 - October 7th, 2015, 9:50 am Post #3 - October 7th, 2015, 9:50 am
    Drover wrote:Heh, I was expecting something along the lines of "where can I find the scarily green lime-flavored soda" . . .
    Me too.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - October 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm
    Post #4 - October 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm Post #4 - October 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm
    Green River is sold at Woodman's in Kenosha, where they sell a 4 pack in glass bottles made with cane sugar. Burt's Deli in Libertyville sells Green River. Lindy's Chili and Gertie's Ice Cream in Chicago sell Green River. I always have a Green River float when I nosh there.
    CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #5 - October 7th, 2015, 9:53 pm
    Post #5 - October 7th, 2015, 9:53 pm Post #5 - October 7th, 2015, 9:53 pm
    chicagostyledog wrote:Green River is sold at Woodman's in Kenosha, where they sell a 4 pack in glass bottles made with cane sugar. Burt's Deli in Libertyville sells Green River. Lindy's Chili and Gertie's Ice Cream in Chicago sell Green River. I always have a Green River float when I nosh there.
    CSD

Thanks. In this case, we're actually discussing a new restaurant on E. Erie. I'm guessing its owners are fans of the iconic beverage?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - October 7th, 2015, 10:57 pm
    Post #6 - October 7th, 2015, 10:57 pm Post #6 - October 7th, 2015, 10:57 pm
    According to their website,

"CHICAGO HAS ALWAYS BEEN DIFFERENT.
    It has always thought big, dreamed big, acted big. In the period immediately following the Great Fire in 1871, towering buildings quickly rose. Mighty industries flourished. Institutions were established. A city was reborn. And the Irish-American story was very much a part of that, running through it like a green river."

Makes more sense, eh?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #7 - October 7th, 2015, 11:45 pm
    Post #7 - October 7th, 2015, 11:45 pm Post #7 - October 7th, 2015, 11:45 pm
    Katie wrote:According to their website,

"CHICAGO HAS ALWAYS BEEN DIFFERENT.
    It has always thought big, dreamed big, acted big. In the period immediately following the Great Fire in 1871, towering buildings quickly rose. Mighty industries flourished. Institutions were established. A city was reborn. And the Irish-American story was very much a part of that, running through it like a green river."

Makes more sense, eh?

I get it, though I've never before seen that expression used to describe a portion of the city's population. But I think it's a missed marketing bet since Green River is such a well-known soda. In fact, I'll be surprised if they aren't asked to stop using that name.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - October 8th, 2015, 9:53 am
    Post #8 - October 8th, 2015, 9:53 am Post #8 - October 8th, 2015, 9:53 am
    original-green-river-girl-228x300.jpg

Also, the restaurant sounds worth checking out, thanks for the review.
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #9 - October 8th, 2015, 3:04 pm
    Post #9 - October 8th, 2015, 3:04 pm Post #9 - October 8th, 2015, 3:04 pm
    I went to Green River last week.

For me, the collaboration between Northwestern, Danny Meyer's USHG, Dead Rabbit NYC and Julia Momose formerly of The Aviary was a much anticipated opening. The result is perhaps one of the most unique restaurants in Chicago.

First off, it is way more of a restaurant than it has been marketed as. My perception was that Green River was more of a cocktail bar with bites than a fantastically thought out restaurant that serves plated food with a true cocktail program. That's what happens when NYC folks market a Chicago restaurant. :P

Anyways, I believe that this is one of the fall's best restaurant openings. I had just shy of a half dozen food items including scallop, octopus, duck, whitefish toast, and risotto. There was absolutely not one bad dish - this food is as close to perfect as you can get in it's caliber. There is serious talent in this kitchen!

Also had the pleasure of being given a tour of the whole place - it is an incredible space. Everything is fresh, clean, and new. There were no corners spared in this build out, it must be a $4 million space. Everyone who works there is enthusiastic and excited and really passionate about the place. The hospital plans to use the space for fundraising and events, and it will be fantastic for that.

I'm really excited to have a USHG venue in Chicago and I can't wait to return to Green River.
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #10 - October 8th, 2015, 10:07 pm
    Post #10 - October 8th, 2015, 10:07 pm Post #10 - October 8th, 2015, 10:07 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:But I think it's a missed marketing bet since Green River is such a well-known soda. In fact, I'll be surprised if they aren't asked to stop using that name.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a cease-and-desist order waiting to happen. I notice the name is spelled without a space (GreenRiver) on the website; wonder if that will afford any legal protection.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #11 - October 9th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    Post #11 - October 9th, 2015, 7:05 pm Post #11 - October 9th, 2015, 7:05 pm
    I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a cease-and-desist order waiting to happen. I notice the name is spelled without a space (GreenRiver) on the website; wonder if that will afford any legal protection.

Not a chance.
  • Post #12 - October 15th, 2015, 10:41 am
    Post #12 - October 15th, 2015, 10:41 am Post #12 - October 15th, 2015, 10:41 am
    I have now been to GeenRiver 3 times. I'm a huge fan of Dead Rabbit in nyc and had been excitedly anticipating the opening for months. Initially, I was hoping it it would be more like DR... old school Irish pub feel with a menu to match. I've had the best chicken pot pie at DR. But after my first experience at GR, that all changed. I love their cocktails and have tried different ones on each visit. The Whitefish Tartine is a favorite. And the burger... Oh, that burger... For me, it beats Au Cheval. The service is warm and friendly. The bartenders are incredibly talented. It's quickly become my favorite spot in the city.
    Christina~~
  • Post #13 - February 6th, 2016, 10:50 am
    Post #13 - February 6th, 2016, 10:50 am Post #13 - February 6th, 2016, 10:50 am
    What a great place. Honestly surprised there aren't 3 pages of posts praising it. Julia Momose, in charge of the bar program, is the star here. Her Aviary pedigree shows; and there is great balance and refinement to her cocktails. For instance, I had a "Mr. Dooley": George Dickel Tennessee Rye Whiskey, Amaro Montenegro, Lapsang Souchong, Chocolate, Lemon, Orinoco Bitters & Egg White . In lesser hands, it could have been a mess. But, instead, I wanted to bathe in it.

And chef Aaron Lirette, who came over from Acadia is no slouch. Everyone mentions the whitefish tartine for good reason. Best stuff spread on toast ever.
    We had a great, funny, informed server too who did a great job of guiding us through the cocktail menu.

In some ways it's like a next-level version of Sable in the Heather Terhune/Mike Ryan heyday.
  • Post #14 - April 17th, 2016, 10:57 am
    Post #14 - April 17th, 2016, 10:57 am Post #14 - April 17th, 2016, 10:57 am
    A friend of mine had emergency heart surgery @ Northwestern last wk, and feeling peckish after visiting him, we took the opportunity to try Green River. As a huge fan of Danny Meyer, I was looking fwd to see if what I've read about him via his book "Setting the Table" (a must for anyone in a service industry) translated to actual experience and am happy to say, it did. The space on the 18th floor is quite nice, and our knowledgable, convivial server knew the menus (drinks and food) backwards and fwd, and really had all the components dialed in. Her suggestions and insights were spot on. I'd expected nothing less, but was glad it was delivered.

One word to describe our meal would be "balance". Both cocktails and food were in harmony on many levels. Components that made sense, done w/excellent technique. Chilled lobster, beautiful pastas, were straight fwd and done quite well. Looking forward to going back w/some additional ordering power soon.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #15 - December 24th, 2016, 3:46 pm
    Post #15 - December 24th, 2016, 3:46 pm Post #15 - December 24th, 2016, 3:46 pm
    GreenRiver head bartender Julia Momose, named one of the best mixologists in the country this year by Food & Wine magazine, will leave her post at the end of the year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
  • Post #16 - January 8th, 2018, 4:41 pm
    Post #16 - January 8th, 2018, 4:41 pm Post #16 - January 8th, 2018, 4:41 pm
    They just announced that they will be closing as of January 24.
    What a shame.
    Great place.
  • Post #17 - January 8th, 2018, 6:03 pm
    Post #17 - January 8th, 2018, 6:03 pm Post #17 - January 8th, 2018, 6:03 pm
    DML wrote:They just announced that they will be closing as of January 24.
    What a shame.
    Great place.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide