LTH Home

Ellinikon Pandopoleion

Ellinikon Pandopoleion
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ellinikon Pandopoleion

Post #1 - November 4th, 2005, 12:17 pm
    Post #1 - November 4th, 2005, 12:17 pm Post #1 - November 4th, 2005, 12:17 pm
    Ellinikon Pandopoleion

Ellinikon Pandopoleion, as the apparent name plainly indicates, is a purveyor of Greek groceries, though briki, icons and a variety of other non-food items, including apparently roller blades, are also available. One notes too that the groceries are not limited to only products of Greek origin. Products from other lands which have analogues or applications in Greek cuisine are also offered, such as Italian olive oil, cheeses and pasta, Arab coffee, American cured meats, Canadian baccalà, Bulgarian quince paste... All the sort of stuff Amata and I use on a weekly basis.

This grocery is one of the few traces of the formerly strong Greek presence in this part of the city. How much longer it can survive is a good question, but for the time being it remains a fairly well-stocked and very charming shop.

Antonius

Ellinikon Pandopoleion
    10538 South Ewing
    Chicago

* Some time back, I believe someone sent me an image of this selfsame shop, a black and white photo that appears somewhere on the web in a collection of photos from around Chicago. Unfortunately, I can no longer remember who the person was who sent me the image nor can I find a link to the site with the photos.
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #2 - November 4th, 2005, 4:20 pm
    Post #2 - November 4th, 2005, 4:20 pm Post #2 - November 4th, 2005, 4:20 pm
    Ellinikon Pandopoleion is a very interesting shop, definitely worth visiting after some fish tacos (it’s practically around the corner from Tacos del Pacifico). A big problem, however, is the very slow turnover of the stock so many items are far past their prime. In summer they sometimes set up a charcoal grill on the sidewalk for souvlaki etc.
  • Post #3 - May 24th, 2010, 11:34 pm
    Post #3 - May 24th, 2010, 11:34 pm Post #3 - May 24th, 2010, 11:34 pm
    Hi,

The last time I passed, there was sign stating it was for sale.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more