LTH Home

BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]

BBQ Supply Co [was Rub's Backcountry Smokehouse Rogers Park]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 7
  • Post #91 - March 18th, 2015, 8:43 am
    Post #91 - March 18th, 2015, 8:43 am Post #91 - March 18th, 2015, 8:43 am
    Nice looking shanty in the background of all that oak wood!

I can smell that it's the real deal.
  • Post #92 - March 18th, 2015, 10:41 am
    Post #92 - March 18th, 2015, 10:41 am Post #92 - March 18th, 2015, 10:41 am
    kenji wrote:Nice looking shanty in the background of all that oak wood!

I can smell that it's the real deal.

I'm thinking that shanty is at A1 Country Firewood on the near south side. Assuming that's the case, wonder if there is any of this available for sale to the general public for home use.
  • Post #93 - March 18th, 2015, 11:58 am
    Post #93 - March 18th, 2015, 11:58 am Post #93 - March 18th, 2015, 11:58 am
    I'm thinking that shanty is at A1 Country Firewood on the near south side. Assuming that's the case, wonder if there is any of this available for sale to the general public for home use.

Good eye sir!! John did bring this in specifically for me, but he's allowing members of the Chicago BBQ Society & other (individual) clients to buy small amounts. We're gonna be the only restaurant using it, but for home use it's open market.

Matt - Very impressed that you identified A1 from the photo - are you a customer of John's?
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #94 - March 18th, 2015, 12:54 pm
    Post #94 - March 18th, 2015, 12:54 pm Post #94 - March 18th, 2015, 12:54 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:he's allowing members of the Chicago BBQ Society & other (individual) clients to buy small amounts.

Do you mean the IBBQA (Illinois BBQ Alliance), or is there actually something called the Chicago BBQ Society?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #95 - March 18th, 2015, 1:13 pm
    Post #95 - March 18th, 2015, 1:13 pm Post #95 - March 18th, 2015, 1:13 pm
    (Chicagoland BBQ Society) It's a Facebook group for BBQ enthusiasts...
  • Post #96 - March 18th, 2015, 2:02 pm
    Post #96 - March 18th, 2015, 2:02 pm Post #96 - March 18th, 2015, 2:02 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:(Chicagoland BBQ Society) It's a Facebook group for BBQ enthusiasts...

What's Facebook? :wink:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #97 - March 18th, 2015, 5:56 pm
    Post #97 - March 18th, 2015, 5:56 pm Post #97 - March 18th, 2015, 5:56 pm
    An offshoot of LTH designed for electronically overgregarious members.
  • Post #98 - March 18th, 2015, 9:48 pm
    Post #98 - March 18th, 2015, 9:48 pm Post #98 - March 18th, 2015, 9:48 pm
    rubbbqco wrote:

Good eye sir!! John did bring this in specifically for me, but he's allowing members of the Chicago BBQ Society & other (individual) clients to buy small amounts. We're gonna be the only restaurant using it, but for home use it's open market.

Matt - Very impressed that you identified A1 from the photo - are you a customer of John's?

I have been down there a couple of times (on your recommendation in another thread, actually -- and I told them Jared sent me, although we've never met). Just finishing up a 40 lb bag of lump I bought from them a while back, so another trip may be in order soon. Great people, great product.
  • Post #99 - March 18th, 2015, 10:22 pm
    Post #99 - March 18th, 2015, 10:22 pm Post #99 - March 18th, 2015, 10:22 pm
    and a great SHANTY!
  • Post #100 - March 20th, 2015, 12:02 am
    Post #100 - March 20th, 2015, 12:02 am Post #100 - March 20th, 2015, 12:02 am
    The brisket I had Wednesday night was superb, the best I have ever had in Chicago. Properly tender, fat close to melt-in-your -mouth, plenty of smoke without being overpowering or harsh, just enough rub to complement the meat and smoke with a satisfying but not overthick or over seasoned bark. I had ordered a sandwich and they left out the bun, but the brisket was so good I didn't want anything else getting in the way anyhow.

Most of what I got we're end pieces with many probably from the point/tip. So lots of fat, flavor and bark. There was one center cut piece that with it's perfect shape, thin cut and almost complete lack of fat would have been an old Jewish ladies dream, but was just OK on my scale.

The ribs also took advantage of the post oak and were the tastiest I've had at RBS. They were a little dry and while there was sufficient meat I would have preferred a thicker slab. Most of the meat was not much more than 1/4" thick.

The Texas sheet cake was, as usual, a great slice for adults who want flavor and not just sweetness in their desserts.
  • Post #101 - March 23rd, 2015, 7:57 am
    Post #101 - March 23rd, 2015, 7:57 am Post #101 - March 23rd, 2015, 7:57 am
    We were one of the stops yesterday on the Chicagoland BBQ Society's "Rub n Chug" BBQ Tour (goofy name, fun group of BBQ Guys). This is the 2nd time they've hosted this Chicago BBQ Tour - last time it was S. Side joints, this time it was N. Side joints.
    Link to Chicagoland BBQ Society on FB They started at Reggie's, stopped by Rub for some brisket, then Big Bricks, Green St. Smoked Meats, and last the hit up Husky Hog down in Bridgeport. Each spot had prepared something for the group, and I gotta say - this is a great way to get some great Q. Pitmasters tend to pay special attention for groups like this. Green St. did a Pork Belly special - Big Bricks had some HUGE Back ribs, I can't remember the other details (I didn't join them on the rest of the tour)- see the link above for more info. They travelled on one of Reggie's party busses, and ended with some post-event fun at Reggie's. Anyone who likes Chicago BBQ, smoking, eating, etc. can join the group - they are planning another trip in about a month. Here's a few pics from their visit to Rub - gotta say, that Post Oak is really nice to cook with :
    The Reggies Party Bus
    John from A1 Country Firewood organized this, so the crowd was happy to help lug some Post Oak from the bus to Rub
    Green St. Smoked Meats
    Sparkling Fireworks Pork Belly ? (Sparklers to accommodate the tastes of the R. North / W. Loop VIP Bottle Service crowd)
    Green St. Smoked Meats - Brian, the IL director for Operation BBQ Reliefwith Jeff from Holy Smoker Pits
    Husky Hog

All in all, great group of BBQ enthusiasts - great local BBQ connections, good BBQ food to eat. Check 'em out:
    Chicagoland BBQ Society

(Note: I edited to add a few more pics and additional content)
  • Post #102 - March 30th, 2015, 9:47 am
    Post #102 - March 30th, 2015, 9:47 am Post #102 - March 30th, 2015, 9:47 am
    Made the 30min trip here this weekend mostly due to the rave reviews here. We have some very solid bbq joints in Chicago, but nothing yet has reminded me of the South

We entered to the smell of bbq in smoke, it was delightful. Started with a couple of sweet teas. Werent typical sweet teas, they had a taste of hibiscus. While not bad, wasnt my cup of tea (no pun intended).

We loaded up with a lb of brisket, half slab of ribs, and corn 'bread'. Corn bread was awesome, and reminded me of a cross between a corn casserole and corn bread. We ordered a single serving, and not sure if they messed it up, but a huge piece came out that was shareable.

The brisket had great bark on it, and was thickly cut, just how I like it. It went from very juicy and fatty, to a bit dry.

The ribs were good, I thought they could have used a bit more rub, but were good. You certainly didnot need to use the sauce on them as they were flavorful enough. Their main sauce wasnt what I would call great, but I kept switching it up, so I must have liked it enough.

All in all thought it was a very solid meal, add in BYOB (which we did not due) it makes it a great place. If I were closer it would probably be my go to place. Prices were also pretty reasonable IMO, at least much better then closer to the city.
  • Post #103 - March 30th, 2015, 11:39 am
    Post #103 - March 30th, 2015, 11:39 am Post #103 - March 30th, 2015, 11:39 am
    long101 wrote:We loaded up with a lb of brisket, half slab of ribs, and corn 'bread'. Corn bread was awesome, and reminded me of a cross between a corn casserole and corn bread. We ordered a single serving, and not sure if they messed it up, but a huge piece came out that was shareable.

Just to repeat a portion of my post from the first page of this topic, in case you missed it:

nsxtasy wrote:Now, about that custard-filled cornbread. I thought it was great! Although, as Jared mentioned to us, it's a "love it or hate it" item; those who like it think it's terrific, and those that don't, really don't. Rub uses the classic recipe from Marion Cunningham in her cookbooks, the Fannie Farmer Cookbook and the Breakfast Book; in the latter, she mentions that it was popular in the thirties (and rediscovered by Jane Salfass Freimann). I found this website which gives the recipe with some nice step-by-step photos.
  • Post #104 - May 3rd, 2015, 8:58 pm
    Post #104 - May 3rd, 2015, 8:58 pm Post #104 - May 3rd, 2015, 8:58 pm
    I just made my first visit to Rub’s tonight, and if ever there was a saga about the transformation of a restaurant, this thread must be it. While I didn’t go to Rub in its earlier incarnation, some of the stories and pictures look somewhat horrifying. My visit today couldn’t have been further from that; it was definitely close to, if not the best overall BBQ experience I’ve had in Chicago, maybe only 2nd to some of Wiviott’s pitmaster dinners. No doubt this is definitely recommendation and destination worthy grub.

We showed up right at 5pm, so our ribs were just coming off the smoker. As mentioned above the rub was very light, but this fact is actually what really sold me on them. It was a true celebration of pork and smoke, with just the right balance of spice. They were by no means under seasoned, and were at just the right salt level. As for texture/moisture, they were also exactly where I like them. Just tender enough to pull the meat away from the bone, but not overly so or falling off at the touch. I’ve probably had better in backyard parties using premium cuts, but have not had better coming out of a restaurant in Chicago. The smoke they are getting from the post oak is very strong yet very clean tasting. I’m already trying to figure out how to get some for my own smoking.

The brisket was up there with the best I’ve had as well. It came with some variety. Most of it, about 80%, was perfectly fatty, perfectly seasoned, perfectly sliced pieces. The other 20% was a mix of some really fatty burnt ends, and a couple small pieces of a chewier cut with less fat. It looked a lot more like the pieces that rubbbqco posted above and nothing at all like the pictures posted years ago.

The pulled pork was good, but I think outshone by the other meats in this case. Nothing wrong at all with it. For anyone wondering based on previous comments, I thought it had plenty of smoke flavor.

The custard corn bread was something of a revelation for me. How did such an amazing dish come to be? Why had I not heard about it until tonight? I found myself taking a bite of it between every other bite. I’ll definitely be ordering this one every visit.

The truffle mac was good, nice strong truffle flavor, and the pasta was definitely al dente.

Nothing wrong with the Mikeska sausage, which had a spicy kick, and a good snap to it, but didn’t hold a candle to other chicago offerings, such as the sage heavy hot links from Barbara Ann’s.

The sauces: I’m a huge fan of good Carolina mustard based bbq sauce, so I mostly stuck to that one, which was almost spot on with the one I make at home, which is to say… awesome of course. I also really enjoyed the jalapeño one, which could have been spicier to my tastes, but was nice and vinegary with only a touch of sweetness. With these at hand, I didn’t even try the other two that were on the table.

Can't wait for my next visit! Great stuff!
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #105 - May 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
    Post #105 - May 4th, 2015, 11:36 am Post #105 - May 4th, 2015, 11:36 am
    laikom wrote:Carolina mustard based bbq sauce

Always put a "South' before those words.

Carolina = North Carolina.
  • Post #106 - May 4th, 2015, 11:41 am
    Post #106 - May 4th, 2015, 11:41 am Post #106 - May 4th, 2015, 11:41 am
    Chicago Hokie wrote:

Actually I meant to say "Carolina Gold", which I believe implies south? My mistake, and I am very sorry.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #107 - May 4th, 2015, 2:43 pm
    Post #107 - May 4th, 2015, 2:43 pm Post #107 - May 4th, 2015, 2:43 pm
    We happened to be there on Saturday evening for a first ever visit. It was a beautiful evening to sit out front.

I must not have had properly prepared smoked brisket before, because I was surprised how juicy and tender it was. We will go back for this. The regular sized serving of the brisket was plenty for me. My son ordered the ribs, which he devoured with no sauce at all. As a cilantro lover, I also really enjoyed the "Texas Caviar." The Giardinera Slaw sounded like a good idea, but it didn't get much attention as there were better things on the table and we ended up bringing it home.

The service was very friendly and efficient and the servers seemed to enjoy what they were doing.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #108 - May 5th, 2015, 11:00 am
    Post #108 - May 5th, 2015, 11:00 am Post #108 - May 5th, 2015, 11:00 am
    laikom wrote:
    Chicago Hokie wrote:

My mistake, and I am very sorry.

No need to apologize. The historic sauce battle between eastern and western NC is over ketchup as an ingredient; mustard is for hot dogs, burgers, and SC.

I like all three sauces on pulled pork. (edit: just not at the same time)
  • Post #109 - May 5th, 2015, 11:05 am
    Post #109 - May 5th, 2015, 11:05 am Post #109 - May 5th, 2015, 11:05 am
    It's a toss up for me between the mustard and the vinegar. Both are lengths ahead of the ketchup

...and I can't think of another sports themed analogy.
  • Post #110 - May 5th, 2015, 12:02 pm
    Post #110 - May 5th, 2015, 12:02 pm Post #110 - May 5th, 2015, 12:02 pm
  • Post #111 - May 26th, 2015, 12:35 am
    Post #111 - May 26th, 2015, 12:35 am Post #111 - May 26th, 2015, 12:35 am
    Got up to Rub's on Sunday for lunch. The place was packed at 2pm, always a good sign. As this was my first time, we overordered. Just about everything was great, with only two disappointments. We ordered the combo of pulled chicken and pulled pork, a half slab of ribs, and a large brisket. We also ordered sides of meaty beans, truffle mac & cheese, and the cornbread. Like I said, for two of us, we overordered.

The stars were definitely the ribs and the brisket. I liked the ribs a lot, but the brisket was phenomenal! The pulled pork was very good and something we would probably order again. The one disappointment in the meat area was the chicken, which was dry. I can't fault Rub's for the chicken, because I don't think I've ever encountered BBQ chicken that was any good. I think it's too lean of a meat to stand up to the cooking process.

The sides were generally excellent as well. The smoked potato chips were great! The meaty beans are the best beans I've ever had. The truffled mac & cheese was very good, albeit a bit gloppy, which can happen as they cool. The one disappointment for me was the corn bread. I'm a traditionalist and corn bread filled with custard didn't get it done for me. There's no reason to mess with corn bread. Jan liked it though.

Overall, Rub's is a great BBQ place that I would return to frequently. I wouldn't mind checking out their cooking classes, which they hold frequently. Sounds more like a party than a class.
  • Post #112 - June 1st, 2015, 9:51 am
    Post #112 - June 1st, 2015, 9:51 am Post #112 - June 1st, 2015, 9:51 am
    Had Rub delivered on Saturday night for our Hawks game viewing. Pulled pork, pulled chicken, slab of ribs, meaty beans, truffled mac and cheese. Not a dud in the bunch, but the ribs were the star in my book. Might have to have the same order on Wednesday night...
    -Mary
  • Post #113 - June 8th, 2015, 8:46 am
    Post #113 - June 8th, 2015, 8:46 am Post #113 - June 8th, 2015, 8:46 am
    Why oh why do I get the BBQ craving on Mondays?!?
  • Post #114 - June 8th, 2015, 10:56 am
    Post #114 - June 8th, 2015, 10:56 am Post #114 - June 8th, 2015, 10:56 am
    You can scratch your itch @ Honey 1.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #115 - June 8th, 2015, 1:30 pm
    Post #115 - June 8th, 2015, 1:30 pm Post #115 - June 8th, 2015, 1:30 pm
    Octarine wrote:Why oh why do I get the BBQ craving on Mondays?!?

The more you can't have something the more you want it.

There are two relatively close restaurants that are open on Mondays. Plus the Mariano's at Touhy and McCormick and at 1800 w Lawrence

Hecky's is undergoing something of a renaissance, particularly with the spares. A little greasy, but the flavor is there. Hot sauce on the side is the way to go.

Mr. B's BBQ in the old Smokin' Woody's space is still on the steep part of the learning curve, but worth trying. I find their regular sauce too sweet by a large margin.

http://heckys.com/

http://www.mrbbbqchicago.com/
  • Post #116 - June 8th, 2015, 3:33 pm
    Post #116 - June 8th, 2015, 3:33 pm Post #116 - June 8th, 2015, 3:33 pm
    I thought that's why the whole Meatless Mondays meme got started? :D
  • Post #117 - June 8th, 2015, 5:22 pm
    Post #117 - June 8th, 2015, 5:22 pm Post #117 - June 8th, 2015, 5:22 pm
    I have an aversion to alliteration so your anti-sensical article absolutely annoyed me.
  • Post #118 - June 9th, 2015, 8:50 pm
    Post #118 - June 9th, 2015, 8:50 pm Post #118 - June 9th, 2015, 8:50 pm
    We went to the Sunday cooking class after the NRA. It was a blast. And we were surprised. After walking the show for 1.5 days, it seemed like a bad idea. So much walking, so much food, so much interaction with people, but it was wonderful and I would highly recommend it.

It's a great bang for the buck. The people at our table were so much fun, as were the rest of the group. We have had some smoker or another for 25 years, and still Jared was great, and we learned a lot of tricks.

The food was fabulous, the corn bread? Holy cow. All I can say. . . ribs, pulled pork and brisket were perfection.

And again, Jared made the day. His knowledge and his easy manner are wonderful. If you have a chance to do this, do it.
    SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD, BUT IT CHANGES THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG.
  • Post #119 - June 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm
    Post #119 - June 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm Post #119 - June 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm
    Congratulations to Jared and staff for being named by Eater.com as one of "The 9 Essential Barbecue Spots in Chicago"!
  • Post #120 - March 16th, 2016, 3:02 pm
    Post #120 - March 16th, 2016, 3:02 pm Post #120 - March 16th, 2016, 3:02 pm
    This past Friday, I had the pleasure of attending one of Rub's Friday Pit-to-Plate dinners and I would probably mark it as one of my all-time favorite food experiences.

The dinner was held in the BBQ supply store/pit room two doors over from Rub's proper, and the warning about the room smelling smoky is no joke (still catching wafts in my apartment from jackets). The pit is obviously the focus of the space, but the newly installed brick oven was also an impressive sight. I went with my fiancée and another couple and we snagged seats right up front next to the chopping block with hopes of getting some meat-juice Gallagher action.

Jared opened things up with a little introduction and he continued to be an informative, likable host all night. Then we got down to business and started eating. The first course was a shrimp and sausage gumbo and Jared explained that they make their roux using sausage fat instead of butter. This is 1) totally badass and 2) a really clever way to ramp up the smokiness of the gumbo. After about half an hour in the room, we had acclimated to the aroma, so it didn't hit me until leftovers the next day just how much smoke flavor was in the broth. I might have to gank this technique when I finally try to make gumbo at home. Thanks to nature's cruelest joke (shellfish allergy), I had my serving sans shrimp but I didn't feel slighted thanks to a healthy portion of sausage. Speakings of portions, when I first saw the menu, I figured we'd get a small cup of gumbo get the palate going. Nope! This course could have been a full meal on its own because it was a large bowl with about a cup of cooked rice.

Our second course was a massive Nashville hot chicken drumstick with smoked collard greens and biscuits. The chicken was a preview of the forthcoming Budlong and it is definitely good enough chicken to rest a business on. Spicy, crispy, juicy. Everything you could want. The highlight of this course, though, was the biscuits. Dear god in heaven and devil in hell, those biscuits. Big ups to KB (Rub's resident biscuit master) for creating the best biscuit I have ever tasted and will ever taste. It was so goddamn perfect - flaky, buttery, tangy, any other adjective you would apply to a great biscuit. My only quibble with the whole meal was the greens under the chicken. The flavor was good, but I would have preferred if they were braised post-smoking to get that traditional collard green texture and an insane pot liquor.

After what was already a good amount of food, it was main event time. I cannot describe our excitement at seeing the pit doors open fully to reveal just pounds and pounds of meat. First out were the briskets and this is where our choice of seats really paid off. Jared handed all four of us burnt ends straight from the smoker, "Dream Weaver" started playing in my head, and the world all went into soft focus. I'm normally partial to pork, but I think that was the single best bite of barbecue that I've ever tasted. Following the briskets in the meat procession, out came some mondo huge beef ribs, pork shoulders, and Rub's awesome St. Louis ribs. Every diner got a daunting platter with about 4-5 oz. of brisket, a beef rib, two pork ribs, and about 6-7 oz. of pulled pork. All of it was delicious, but we all unanimously agreed that the beef ribs were some next-level shit. The smoke ring was probably 3/8" thick and the ribs tasted strongly of oak, but the beef flavor didn't get blown out by the smokiness.

By this point, we all thought we were going to die but there was still dessert - peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream. Definitely the best cobbler I've ever had and I probably would have eaten a second plate of it despite being so full.

I'm no slouch when it comes to eating, but I still went home with half of my gumbo, beef rib, and pulled pork. Others went home with even more. For quantity alone, the Pit-to-Plate dinner is an insane deal at $30 per person. The quality of the food and experience, though, makes it priceless in my mind.

That's a lot of words about smoked meat.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more