LTH Home

Do you peel tomatoes for salsa?

Do you peel tomatoes for salsa?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Do you peel tomatoes for salsa?

Post #1 - August 26th, 2011, 1:49 pm
    Post #1 - August 26th, 2011, 1:49 pm Post #1 - August 26th, 2011, 1:49 pm
    Hi- I did not see any posts about this. I love to make salsa when I have lots of tomatoes in my garden, or when I can purchase decent ones for not much money at the farmer's market. I prefer to eat salsa where the tomatoes have been pealed, but sometimes that is time consuming. Is there anyone here that does not peel their tomatoes when they make salsa?

The last batch of salsa I made, I used mint instead of cilantro, and I think I added too much mint, because I could hardly taste the hot pepper. I got the recipe from Henry Brockman's blog a few weeks ago His sister says that she never uses cilantro in her salsa, and uses mint instead, because it is much easier to find this time of year when tomatoes are ripe. Henry and his sister come to the Evanston farmer's market every Saturday. If anybody is interested in the recipe, I could post a link to it. Thanks for any input, Nancy
  • Post #2 - August 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm
    Post #2 - August 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm Post #2 - August 26th, 2011, 1:55 pm
    Hi

I don't peel tomatoes mostly, unless I am doing a "fresh tomato pasta sauce" and already have the water boiling, so I'll dunk them in the water bath just before I put in the pasta. Then I peel, cut in half to squeeze out the seeds, fast chop, and by the time my pasta is done cooking, I have a hot fresh tomato sauce. Never for salsa or salads, though I will squeeze out the seeds sometimes.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #3 - August 26th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Post #3 - August 26th, 2011, 2:05 pm Post #3 - August 26th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    I hardly ever peel tomatoes; never for salsa.
  • Post #4 - August 26th, 2011, 2:15 pm
    Post #4 - August 26th, 2011, 2:15 pm Post #4 - August 26th, 2011, 2:15 pm
    It really depends on the tomatoes. Sometimes they have thick skin in which case I do peel them. Cris crossing before the quick hot water, makes it very easy to peel them, so I dont usually mind doing it.
  • Post #5 - August 26th, 2011, 3:26 pm
    Post #5 - August 26th, 2011, 3:26 pm Post #5 - August 26th, 2011, 3:26 pm
    Nupe, never peel--but I use the blender after rough chopping everything.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #6 - August 26th, 2011, 7:37 pm
    Post #6 - August 26th, 2011, 7:37 pm Post #6 - August 26th, 2011, 7:37 pm
    Fresh salsa, no. Roasted, yes.
    Coming to you from Leiper's Fork, TN where we prefer forking to spooning.
  • Post #7 - August 26th, 2011, 9:34 pm
    Post #7 - August 26th, 2011, 9:34 pm Post #7 - August 26th, 2011, 9:34 pm
    I've eaten and prepared them both ways, and in all honesty (I'm sure the foodie gods will be aghast by this), I've yet to discern the utility of peeling a tomato for any recipe.
    Charter member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
  • Post #8 - August 27th, 2011, 1:11 am
    Post #8 - August 27th, 2011, 1:11 am Post #8 - August 27th, 2011, 1:11 am
    Grizzly wrote:I've eaten and prepared them both ways, and in all honesty (I'm sure the foodie gods will be aghast by this), I've yet to discern the utility of peeling a tomato for any recipe.

Random tomato skins rolled up like scrolls are appealling? :)

For a fresh salsa, I don't peel. For those I preserve for the future, I will skin.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #9 - August 27th, 2011, 7:36 am
    Post #9 - August 27th, 2011, 7:36 am Post #9 - August 27th, 2011, 7:36 am
    Speaking of peeling tomatoes, I just taught Sparky to make the homemade tomato sauce that I can every year, and found this terrific method for peeling tomatoes. It won't work for fresh tomato sauces/salsas, but if you're cooking them, it's amazingly easy - plus, sometimes the seed pods pop out in one frozen chunk, too.

I don't like to parboil tomatoes because I think you lose a bit of juices in the process. I often roast mine to get the skins off, but it means heating up the house in the middle of summer...this method works just fine and has neither drawback.
  • Post #10 - August 27th, 2011, 7:54 am
    Post #10 - August 27th, 2011, 7:54 am Post #10 - August 27th, 2011, 7:54 am
    MHays,

FYI - Last weekend I blanched and peeled at least a half bushel of tomatoes. When it was time to squueze out the seeds, I had a sieve over a pitcher. I squeeze enough seeds and juice into the sieve, I had about 3/4 gallon tomato juice afterwards.

Skins, cores and seeds were recycled.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #11 - August 27th, 2011, 9:20 am
    Post #11 - August 27th, 2011, 9:20 am Post #11 - August 27th, 2011, 9:20 am
    Nah, lazy.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #12 - August 27th, 2011, 12:57 pm
    Post #12 - August 27th, 2011, 12:57 pm Post #12 - August 27th, 2011, 12:57 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:MHays,

FYI - Last weekend I blanched and peeled at least a half bushel of tomatoes. When it was time to squueze out the seeds, I had a sieve over a pitcher. I squeeze enough seeds and juice into the sieve, I had about 3/4 gallon tomato juice afterwards.

Skins, cores and seeds were recycled.

Regards,

I do the same - except I toss all the seeds and cores into the pot and sieve them after they're thoroughly cooked and mushy. Then I reduce the juice and add back in the "petals" to make a chunky sauce. This time I felt able to toss the skins completely in the compost, as they came off totally clean.
  • Post #13 - August 27th, 2011, 8:08 pm
    Post #13 - August 27th, 2011, 8:08 pm Post #13 - August 27th, 2011, 8:08 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Grizzly wrote:I've eaten and prepared them both ways, and in all honesty (I'm sure the foodie gods will be aghast by this), I've yet to discern the utility of peeling a tomato for any recipe.

Random tomato skins rolled up like scrolls are appealling? :)

For a fresh salsa, I don't peel. For those I preserve for the future, I will skin.

Regards,

Well, I predicted a "foodie god(ess)" would object...

But that said, for a cold, fresh tomato sauce, with simple sea salt, olive oil pepper and fresh basil...

"Random tomato skins rolled up like scrolls" just aren't an issue.

With respect to Cathy2, I agree that a canned, preserved sauce or tomato benefits from being peeled.
    Charter member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
  • Post #14 - April 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm
    Post #14 - April 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm Post #14 - April 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm
    Couldn't find a better place to drop this, slicing a quantity of cherry tomatoes at once:

Cathy2

• Post #15 - April 15th, 2014, 4:35 pm
    Post #15 - April 15th, 2014, 4:35 pm Post #15 - April 15th, 2014, 4:35 pm
    Oh that's brilliant! Thanks, Cathy!
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #16 - April 5th, 2018, 11:29 am
    Post #16 - April 5th, 2018, 11:29 am Post #16 - April 5th, 2018, 11:29 am
    So, my new favorite Salsa is from a Mexican (chain) called Burrito Parrilla Mexicana, they have locations mostly in the Western suburbs. Pretty standard, but fresh and tasty Mexican food. They also have a trompo of Al pastor which is good. Anyway, back to the red tomato salsa, it's addictive. Smooth, and a little spicy. I emailed them for the ingredients, and they told me it's

• Cooked red peeled tomatoes
    • Arbol Pepper
    • Oregano
    • Black Pepper
    • Cumin
    • Onions
    • Cilantro
    • Garlic
    • Salt

They didn't tell me what of each, but I am happy to estimate how much of each. My questions are: Is it hard to find an Arbol Pepper? I assume cooked red peeled tomatoes can come from a can, and cooked down a little to improve the flavor? Any tips would be appreciated!!
  • Post #17 - April 5th, 2018, 1:14 pm
    Post #17 - April 5th, 2018, 1:14 pm Post #17 - April 5th, 2018, 1:14 pm
    never peel, always de-seed, dice, salt, and let sit in a strainer for 30 mins
  • Post #18 - April 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm
    Post #18 - April 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm Post #18 - April 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm
    HonestMan wrote:So, my new favorite Salsa is from a Mexican (chain) called Burrito Parrilla Mexicana, they have locations mostly in the Western suburbs. Pretty standard, but fresh and tasty Mexican food. They also have a trompo of Al pastor which is good. Anyway, back to the red tomato salsa, it's addictive. Smooth, and a little spicy. I emailed them for the ingredients, and they told me it's

• Cooked red peeled tomatoes
    • Arbol Pepper
    • Oregano
    • Black Pepper
    • Cumin
    • Onions
    • Cilantro
    • Garlic
    • Salt

They didn't tell me what of each, but I am happy to estimate how much of each. My questions are: Is it hard to find an Arbol Pepper? I assume cooked red peeled tomatoes can come from a can, and cooked down a little to improve the flavor? Any tips would be appreciated!!

You can find dried arbol in most ethnic markets that carry Mexican products. Usually bagged in small portions, like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/El-Mexicano- ... 3=&veh=sem

You can find them fresh occasionally but dried is easier to track down.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more