LTH Home

Montrose Beach Potluck / semimonthly BBQ #3- THAI [7/13/13]

Montrose Beach Potluck / semimonthly BBQ #3- THAI [7/13/13]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Montrose Beach Potluck / semimonthly BBQ #3- THAI [7/13/13]

Post #1 - July 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm
    Post #1 - July 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm Post #1 - July 9th, 2013, 9:55 pm
    As has been going on for the past 2 years, I'm organizing a semi-monthly BBQ all summer long to celebrate cooking, sharing food, but also to take advantage of the fact that Chicago has beautiful beaches!

This is an LTH event, but is completely open to anyone and everyone! Please bring friends!
    To simplify and unify the process of the RSVP, and also to allow everyone to coordinate the food we're bringing, I've set up a public facebook invite page. I would love to have people RSVP there, but ask that you also PLEASE post your pictures and reactions to the event here on LTH and not just keep it on facebook. My intention is not in any way to move the event off of LTH, rather it is to keep the event more integrated and encourage people to post on here as well.

Here is the facebook invite https://www.facebook.com/events/218056601676247/?ref=3

Food
    The theme this week is THAI! Please post what you plan to bring here or on the facebook page, or both! If you don't fancy yourself a cook and just want to come eat feel free to bring some drinks!

Drinks
    The park is officially a non-alcohol location, meaning it is technically possible to be ticketed, however we have unofficially drank alcohol at every single one of these without incident. Last week a cop drove by and said "party on" then drove off. BYOB at your own discretion :)

Time
    I typically show up around 11am, unless i need to start up a smoker earlier. The party usually reaches full swing between 1-4pm, and people peter out around 6pm.

After years of experience, we have found an idyllic location right by the water a bit off the beaten path. There is the added bonus that there is ample parking year round, even during big events we have not had trouble parking at this spot.

Here is the map http://goo.gl/maps/TZPyH

For those of you who prefer a visual aid:
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #2 - July 10th, 2013, 10:18 pm
    Post #2 - July 10th, 2013, 10:18 pm Post #2 - July 10th, 2013, 10:18 pm
    really? nobody? What if I make lamb kao tod? Not a typo, I just got some lamb naem started fermenting tonight.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #3 - July 10th, 2013, 10:28 pm
    Post #3 - July 10th, 2013, 10:28 pm Post #3 - July 10th, 2013, 10:28 pm
    You know I'd be there if I was in town. Sadly your calendar stinks for me-- I'm gone again in 2 weeks. Wish you were doing next week and the 1st weekend in August instead :(
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - July 10th, 2013, 10:54 pm
    Post #4 - July 10th, 2013, 10:54 pm Post #4 - July 10th, 2013, 10:54 pm
    Hi,

I'll be at the dessert exchange, sorry!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #5 - July 11th, 2013, 12:15 am
    Post #5 - July 11th, 2013, 12:15 am Post #5 - July 11th, 2013, 12:15 am
    laikom wrote:really? nobody? What if I make lamb kao tod? Not a typo, I just got some lamb naem started fermenting tonight.

I'll be there bringing some type of salad, I'm looking at recipes now. Hey thaiobsessed, this ones for you, join us.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #6 - July 11th, 2013, 9:46 am
    Post #6 - July 11th, 2013, 9:46 am Post #6 - July 11th, 2013, 9:46 am
    I'm out of town both this weekend and next, otherwise I'd be there.
  • Post #7 - July 11th, 2013, 10:50 am
    Post #7 - July 11th, 2013, 10:50 am Post #7 - July 11th, 2013, 10:50 am
    Love Thai, right up my alley, but already smoking for friends Saturday. :( Will look forward to pics!
  • Post #8 - July 11th, 2013, 5:56 pm
    Post #8 - July 11th, 2013, 5:56 pm Post #8 - July 11th, 2013, 5:56 pm
    I'm busy Friday and early in the day Saturday but I'll try to swing by sometime around 2. If I have time i'll bring some kind of meat on a stick to grill.
  • Post #9 - July 11th, 2013, 6:30 pm
    Post #9 - July 11th, 2013, 6:30 pm Post #9 - July 11th, 2013, 6:30 pm
    Next that night. I'm trying not to over commit. Can't wait to see the pics. Oh, and what's the next theme?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #10 - July 13th, 2013, 10:31 am
    Post #10 - July 13th, 2013, 10:31 am Post #10 - July 13th, 2013, 10:31 am
    I'm going to be late. I've never been this hungover. Someone must have roofied me last night.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #11 - July 13th, 2013, 12:40 pm
    Post #11 - July 13th, 2013, 12:40 pm Post #11 - July 13th, 2013, 12:40 pm
    laikom wrote:Someone must have roofied me last night.

Yeah, sorry about that. 8)

=R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #12 - July 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm
    Post #12 - July 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm Post #12 - July 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm
    A couple of us are at the beach now, and holy shit it's so nice out here it was almost worth getting out off bed.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #13 - July 13th, 2013, 8:32 pm
    Post #13 - July 13th, 2013, 8:32 pm Post #13 - July 13th, 2013, 8:32 pm
    I'm not as big of a thai fanatic as some but today was particularly awesome. Sweet, sour, spicy, crispy, noodles, char grilled goodness...it was all there.
    Last edited by AlekH on July 14th, 2013, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #14 - July 13th, 2013, 9:17 pm
    Post #14 - July 13th, 2013, 9:17 pm Post #14 - July 13th, 2013, 9:17 pm
    Agreed, every dish today was absolutely perfect! Thanks to those who participated!
    Again, today I was so wrapped up in the event I failed to take any pics. I think some people may have snapped a few cell phone pics though?

-Mark Twain
  • Post #15 - July 15th, 2013, 10:33 am
    Post #15 - July 15th, 2013, 10:33 am Post #15 - July 15th, 2013, 10:33 am
    laikom wrote:Agreed, every dish today was absolutely perfect! Thanks to those who participated!
    Again, today I was so wrapped up in the event I failed to take any pics. I think some people may have snapped a few cell phone pics though?

The Thai food here was as good or better than any restaurant I've been to, LTH has some amazingly talented cooks. I snapped cell phone pics so forgive the quality, but here they are in all their glory.

Laikom & fropones make the issan sausage which had a really good sour funky flavor, if I recall correctly they used beer yeast as a starter. AlekH made a red curry paste skewered chicken, the flavor was not only great, but it was really moist, great grilling talent. Leone made the thai wide noodle dish with greens and pork shoulder, she served it with a side of vinegar mixed with sugar and chilis, this added a bright acidic note that finished the dish perfectly. Panther in the Den made a grilled sticky rice on the recommendation of a friend who lived in Thailand, it had a great crunchy flavor and it was brushed with margarine which the friend said was done in there. PitD also made a wok cooked ground chicken salad that was popping with flavor. Laikom, having made lamb neam, proceeded to deep fry the rice there. The amazing cooking done on the fly here was world class, this was the best picnic I've been to. Everyone there deserves a round of applause, maybe we need to run the Argyle night market.

fropones, AlekH and laikom
    Panther in the Den & Mrs. PitD
    Noodle Salad with greens & pork
    Fried peanuts
    Lamb Kao Tod
    Rice patties ready for deep frying
    More issan sausage goodness
    Grilled sticky rice
    laikom making the lamb kao tod
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more