Orland and Tinley Park, Mokena, Frankfort, Lockport, Homer

Orland and Tinley Park, Mokena, Frankfort, Lockport, Homer
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Orland and Tinley Park, Mokena, Frankfort, Lockport, Homer

Post #1 - July 12th, 2004, 12:51 pm
    Post #1 - July 12th, 2004, 12:51 pm Post #1 - July 12th, 2004, 12:51 pm
    Hi, Y'all.

As I'm waiting for my condo to be complete, I am staying in the southwest suburban area. My fiance and I are in a culinary wasteland for the most part. There's lots of corporate options, but we like reasonably priced basics like Mexican, Italian, Greek, Thai, etc.

Fast food burgers and bar food will not be a problem here, but I'd like some ideas(forget pizza, I'm orginally from the area and have my favs).

We're also willing to spend a little extra on something really worthwhile.

Thanks.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #2 - July 12th, 2004, 8:11 pm
    Post #2 - July 12th, 2004, 8:11 pm Post #2 - July 12th, 2004, 8:11 pm
    I have not tried but heard Chef Klaus is excellent.There are several locations in the Orland Park area.
  • Post #3 - July 12th, 2004, 9:43 pm
    Post #3 - July 12th, 2004, 9:43 pm Post #3 - July 12th, 2004, 9:43 pm
    A great new italian option in Palos Park is Francesca's Vicinato, the latest from the owners of Mia Francesca and Francesca's on Taylor. It's the best italian around. For a more homestyle approach to Italian, Devono's on 143rd and Wolf is a good standby. Very homey atmosphere...sometimes kitchen is a bit too laid back.

For Mexican, I like Burrito Jalisco which has been a mainstay for the last 10 years or so. It's on 159th just east of 94th AVenue across from Ricobenes.

Ricobene's is great for the their famous breaded steak sandwich - don't forget to get extra mozzarella and giardinera!

For CHinese, I like to head up 83 to Lao Szechuan in Westmont, but Hong Min on 111th in Palos Heights is very good as well.
    Another great option on 111th ST is Taqueria Atotonilco which is just east of Harlem. They have the best al pastor meat south of 26th ST along with great standard tacos and tortas.

On Harlem just north of 111th is Al Ameer a delightful and friendly palestinian restaurant. Excellent hummus, schwerma and specials. I've never had anything there I didn't like.

For Burgers you really can't beat Top-Notch on 159th and Harlem.

There's two greek restaurants in the area - first is Dionysious which is on Harlem and SW Highway. Very good food, and average prices. Any stewed lamb dish is usually a good bet! The other greek place is the Grecian Corner on 111th ST a mile or so east of Harlem. This place is a little more rough around the edges than Dionysious but has some stellar dishes. They make their own yogurt - paired with honey this is an excellent dessert.

Anyway if you look around and avoid the corporate food there is some good eating to be had in the SW burbs...just have to poke around!
  • Post #4 - July 13th, 2004, 9:43 am
    Post #4 - July 13th, 2004, 9:43 am Post #4 - July 13th, 2004, 9:43 am
    Enrico's is pretty decent for pizza, etc in Frankfort at the intersection of Rt 30 and 45... I would have pointed you to the Bier Stubbe and Aurelios in Frankfort a couple years ago, but they have since burnt down (they were connected in the same building)...

Is Traverso's still in Tinley Park (Harlem just north of 159th St)? I grew up in that area but don't live there anymore...

If you go further east towards Flossmoor, Flossmoor Station is there as well as the original Aurelios (which to this day will preach has the best thin-crust pizza around).
  • Post #5 - July 17th, 2004, 7:12 pm
    Post #5 - July 17th, 2004, 7:12 pm Post #5 - July 17th, 2004, 7:12 pm
    For Italian my favorite is Isabella on Oak Park avenue. Always consistently better than good and almost great food.

For Burgers I have to agree on Top Notch Beef Burger. I was just there last night. Awesome burgers (from someone who doesn't really eat them) and the best fries on the south side. They're almost like pomme frites.

Taj Mahal for Indian is really good on Lagrange.

My favorite pizza is Beggars, and they have locations all over the place.

There is good food to be found in the south Burbs. You just have to be willing to do a little searching.
  • Post #6 - July 19th, 2004, 12:13 pm
    Post #6 - July 19th, 2004, 12:13 pm Post #6 - July 19th, 2004, 12:13 pm
    Tinfish, Tinfish, Tinfish.

My mother-in-law just moved to Frankfort and I will happily visit her if it means a meal at Tinfish in Tinley Park.

Excellent oysters and fish and a surpisingly good wine list. The fact that they have a Turley on the list is amazing in and of itself, the fact that it is reasonably priced (in a relative sense) makes it even more so.
    MAG
    www.monogrammeevents.com

"I've never met a pork product I didn't like."
  • Post #7 - July 19th, 2004, 10:02 pm
    Post #7 - July 19th, 2004, 10:02 pm Post #7 - July 19th, 2004, 10:02 pm
    I had a truly awful meal at Enrico's, and Mugs instructed me to stick with the pizza next time and avoid the "etc."

Keep in mind that it is a short jaunt to Joliet and the glorious Amancer Tapatio. There also is a good Lithuanian cafe in Lemont, Bravo, I think, and a couple of other places. And for fancy food, there is always that amber-coated, aged wonder, Tallgrass in Lockport. Worth a trip. I think Public Landing is also pretty decent these days.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #8 - January 10th, 2008, 12:16 am
    Post #8 - January 10th, 2008, 12:16 am Post #8 - January 10th, 2008, 12:16 am
    Tallgrass is spectacular, one of the very best restaurants in the entire Chicago area, IMHO. Read more about experiences there in its own topic.

I've been to Tin Fish too (I believe the name is actually two words) and it was quite good. I recall long lines waiting for tables and I forget whether or not they take reservations, but that's the only caveat. Excellent seafood, nicely prepared.
  • Post #9 - January 10th, 2008, 12:16 pm
    Post #9 - January 10th, 2008, 12:16 pm Post #9 - January 10th, 2008, 12:16 pm
    The old stomping grounds!
    I've been away for quite awhile, so I can only chime in with some old faves:
    My favorite sub in Chicagoland @ Peppo's in Palos Hills.
    Hands down my favorite Chicago style pan pizza, in Crestwood: Louisa's (this thread has more SW pizza recs. I would also add Pizza Pete's on LaGrange in Orland to the list of good Chicago style thin crust.
    And also, mentioned somewhere on this board in beef-a-thon posts, Pop's for really good beef and better-than-McDonald's style fries. There are three locations, two in the SW 'burbs: one in Palos Heights off 127th and Harlem and another in Orland off Wolf Road.

Peppo's Dili-Deli
    10303 Roberts Road
    Palos Hills, IL
    708-237-1755

Louisa's
    14025 Cicero Ave
    Crestwood, IL 60445
    (708) 371-0950

Pizza Pete's
    14342 S La Grange Rd.
    Orland Park, IL 60462
    708-349-6660

Pop's
    7153 W 127th St
    Palos Heights, IL 60463
    (708) 361-0087

Pop's
    14279 Wolf Rd.
    Orland Park, IL 60467
    708-403-9070
  • Post #10 - January 10th, 2008, 12:19 pm
    Post #10 - January 10th, 2008, 12:19 pm Post #10 - January 10th, 2008, 12:19 pm
    Food Nut wrote:(forget pizza, I'm orginally from the area and have my favs)

Opps, missed this part, sorry for extraneous pizza recs.
  • Post #11 - January 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm
    Post #11 - January 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm Post #11 - January 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm
    Jefe wrote:
    Food Nut wrote:(forget pizza, I'm orginally from the area and have my favs)

Opps, missed this part, sorry for extraneous pizza recs.

No need to offer your regrets. Another traveler coming that way will appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #12 - August 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm
    Post #12 - August 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm Post #12 - August 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm
    Happened to be taking a different route home (Oak Park) from Lockport and ran across this deli...

Stefanelli's Italian Imports
    1250 E 9th St (159th), Lockport
    (about a mile west of 355)
    http://stefanellisitalianimports.com/

Looked interesting and stepping inside it smelled even better. Besides all the usual canned Italian items they had a nice looking deli counter (had Boar's Head meats), a good selection of refrigerated and frozen dishes and carry out (with a lunch counter along one wall). Nice bakery items too.

Carry Out - A nice selection of hot and cold sandwiches and I figured I would go with the basic, A Beef with sweet. The 7" sandwich wasn't exactly overflowing and the sliced thin and tender beef did have a touch of packaged flavor but the au jus had a nice strong flavor all on fresh as could be bread. $5

Another interesting sandwich on the menu was The Freddie a southside special. Gonna have to give that a try soon.

There was a family dinner for $12 I am going to get soon. Sausage, meatballs, chicken and a salad (I seem to recall). Sounds like a great deal!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #13 - June 6th, 2013, 11:07 am
    Post #13 - June 6th, 2013, 11:07 am Post #13 - June 6th, 2013, 11:07 am
    Hi,

I don't know when I may get here, though I am intrigued because they offer Filipino options for breakfast. (I saw PhilW's breakfast pictured on facebook)

International Breakfast Cafe
    16703 S Harlem Ave
    Tinley Park, IL 60477
    (708) 407-8877

Hours:
    Mon-Sun 7 am - 3 pm

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #14 - June 6th, 2013, 12:32 pm
    Post #14 - June 6th, 2013, 12:32 pm Post #14 - June 6th, 2013, 12:32 pm
    This thread is a great discovery, since it seems that about 70 percent of my speaking engagements are south and west. I go to Tinley Park and Orland Park with some frequency, and this week, I've got Plainfield and Morris (with a stop in Lockport en route). Next week, Lemont. So thanks for the help in giving me dining options on the road!
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #15 - June 6th, 2013, 1:22 pm
    Post #15 - June 6th, 2013, 1:22 pm Post #15 - June 6th, 2013, 1:22 pm
    Ditto--I have a 5 day baseball tournament in Lockport next week--this will come in VERY handy!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #16 - June 6th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Post #16 - June 6th, 2013, 3:39 pm Post #16 - June 6th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    I have not been - but a friend who lives in Frankfort raves about Dancing Marlin. This article says the kitchen team is led by Nathan Sears (Vie).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... uburbs-tap

Dancing Marlin
    20590 S LaGrange Rd
    Frankfort, IL

http://www.dancingmarlinrestaurant.com/ ... irect=true
  • Post #17 - June 19th, 2013, 3:27 pm
    Post #17 - June 19th, 2013, 3:27 pm Post #17 - June 19th, 2013, 3:27 pm
    Harvest room in Palos Heights. Great farm to plate restaurant with a great craft spirits selection all for reasonable prices. After speaking with the owners I am excited for the direction where they are heading. I wish this was around when we lived out there.
    www.harvestroomrestaurant.com
    7164 West 127th Street
    Palos Heights, Illinois 60463
    708-671-8905
  • Post #18 - November 7th, 2013, 8:25 am
    Post #18 - November 7th, 2013, 8:25 am Post #18 - November 7th, 2013, 8:25 am
    This is a pretty solid area for lunchtime eats, especially 143rd street from Bell Road to Lagrange Road(Orig. Mr. Beef, Pops, Hienies McCarthy, Turks, etc.) .

got my eye on a few Italian grocery/deli spots in the area now.

Hit Italia Imports for lunch yesterday to feed a craving for an Italian Sub. Italian Market with a deli counter that serves hot and cold sandwiches, carryout.

cold sandwich menu:
    http://www.italiaimportsinc.com/

went with the Italian Submarine(mortadella,capicola,sopresetta,ham,prvolone) - 6", added some onions, spaced out re: giardiniera on the sandwich, but recovered in time to get a cup to go.

Solid sandwich, their vinegar and oil had a really nice sweet vinegar punch. Quality meats, ate every last bite:

Italia Imports
    11351 W. 143rd Street
    Orland Park, IL.

another location in New Lennox:
    13150 Lincoln Hwy - # 5
    New Lennox, IL.
  • Post #19 - November 11th, 2013, 8:32 am
    Post #19 - November 11th, 2013, 8:32 am Post #19 - November 11th, 2013, 8:32 am
    Been on an Italians sub kick lately, what better area to scratch that itch than the Orlands area.

Rolled past Peppos over on Roberts road heading south towards Frangella Italian Market. I will do Peppos soon, maybe today, maybe later this week.

Wanted apples to apples so i did their basic Italian(Volpe Genova Salame, Capicollo, Provolone, Mortadella. Gotta say their Hot & Spicy(Hot Casalingo Salame,hot Capicollo, hot sopresatta, provolone) & the True Italian(Prisciutto, coppa, mild sopresatta,provolone) look good.

Frangella, an old school Italian market, deli/meat counter in back, some shelves of goods in front. Besides the cold sandwiches I am curious about the meatball and Italian sausage sandwiches they do.

http://frangellaitalianmarket.com/party-subs-soups/

Italian Sub:

good sandwich, could have used a little more of their oil & vinegar, something I will ask for when I return to try one of the other sandwiches

Frangella Italian Market
    11925 S. 80th Ave.
    Palos Park, IL.
  • Post #20 - November 11th, 2013, 10:33 am
    Post #20 - November 11th, 2013, 10:33 am Post #20 - November 11th, 2013, 10:33 am
    True Italian is my go-to at Frangella's. I get it with hot giardiniera. The italian beef is not bad either.
  • Post #21 - November 11th, 2013, 12:20 pm
    Post #21 - November 11th, 2013, 12:20 pm Post #21 - November 11th, 2013, 12:20 pm
    jimswside wrote:Rolled past Peppos over on Roberts road heading south towards Frangella Italian Market. I will do Peppos soon, maybe today, maybe later this week.

You might already know this, but Peppo's does a unique style of sub that I wouldn't necessarily equate with the Italian style. Rather than dressing their subs with giardiniera, they use a signature chopped fresh relish of sorts that they call "guts" consisting of diced onion, tomato, and dill pickle in vinaigrette seasoned with celery salt. I grew up with these subs and have a fondness for them. However, beyond the guts, the other ingredients are pretty middle-of-the-road, Gonnella style bread, Vienna beef products, etc. Worth checking out, but in a different class than Italian deli subs.
  • Post #22 - November 11th, 2013, 1:38 pm
    Post #22 - November 11th, 2013, 1:38 pm Post #22 - November 11th, 2013, 1:38 pm
    Jefe wrote:

You might already know this, but Peppo's does a unique style of sub that I wouldn't necessarily equate with the Italian style. Rather than dressing their subs with giardiniera, they use a signature chopped fresh relish of sorts that they call "guts" consisting of diced onion, tomato, and dill pickle in vinaigrette seasoned with celery salt. I grew up with these subs and have a fondness for them. However, beyond the guts, the other ingredients are pretty middle-of-the-road, Gonnella style bread, Vienna beef products, etc. Worth checking out, but in a different class than Italian deli subs.[/quote]

i hear ya. that has been my deterrent up until now - not in a bad way but just not what I am craving at the moment, the "guts" looks really interesting, i do see a visit to Peppo's coming up soon.
  • Post #23 - November 12th, 2013, 12:51 pm
    Post #23 - November 12th, 2013, 12:51 pm Post #23 - November 12th, 2013, 12:51 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    Jefe wrote:You might already know this, but Peppo's does a unique style of sub that I wouldn't necessarily equate with the Italian style. Rather than dressing their subs with giardiniera, they use a signature chopped fresh relish of sorts that they call "guts" consisting of diced onion, tomato, and dill pickle in vinaigrette seasoned with celery salt. I grew up with these subs and have a fondness for them. However, beyond the guts, the other ingredients are pretty middle-of-the-road, Gonnella style bread, Vienna beef products, etc. Worth checking out, but in a different class than Italian deli subs.

i hear ya. that has been my deterrent up until now - not in a bad way but just not what I am craving at the moment, the "guts" looks really interesting, i do see a visit to Peppo's coming up soon.

Peppo’s does things a little differently and I like them for it. Their different approach extends to tamale-in-a-bun nomenclature. Here's something you’re probably really not craving at the moment (or ever, maybe) — a father in law with guts.

Peppo's
    "We Got Guts!"
    10303 S Roberts Rd
    Palos Hills IL
    708-237-1755
    http://peppos.com/
  • Post #24 - November 12th, 2013, 2:03 pm
    Post #24 - November 12th, 2013, 2:03 pm Post #24 - November 12th, 2013, 2:03 pm
    Rene G wrote:Their different approach extends to tamale-in-a-bun nomenclature. Here's something you’re probably really not craving at the moment (or ever, maybe) — a father in law with guts.

I am glad you posted about the Father in law, when I was reading up on Peppos I saw it mentioned, but did not see it on their online menu(might have missed it). I think one of their small subs and a Father in Law sounds good for a lunch this week.
  • Post #25 - November 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    Post #25 - November 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm Post #25 - November 12th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    We enjoyed a thin-crust pizza recently (the King Special: sausage, mushroom, green pepper, onion) at Chesdan's in Homer Glen. Originally a Chicago SW Side place, owned by brothers Chester and Dan Grabowski (if I understand correctly), the place is now owned by sons of Dan.

(Add me to the list of people who didn't see the original instruction to exclude pizza! Sorry. But I'll leave this post standing in case it's of any use to anybody.)
  • Post #26 - November 12th, 2013, 3:59 pm
    Post #26 - November 12th, 2013, 3:59 pm Post #26 - November 12th, 2013, 3:59 pm
    jimswside wrote:I am glad you posted about the Father in law, when I was reading up on Peppos I saw it mentioned, but did not see it on their online menu(might have missed it). I think one of their small subs and a Father in Law sounds good for a lunch this week.

Bad news: Peppo's changed (gutted?) their menu within the last month and eliminated the tamale section. No more Mother in Law, Father in Law or Tamale Boat. Sorry to get your hopes up.
  • Post #27 - November 13th, 2013, 10:23 am
    Post #27 - November 13th, 2013, 10:23 am Post #27 - November 13th, 2013, 10:23 am
    TCK wrote:True Italian is my go-to at Frangella's. I get it with hot giardiniera. The italian beef is not bad either.

good call, popped back in for one yesterday:

Frangellas "True Italian":
  • Post #28 - November 13th, 2013, 12:49 pm
    Post #28 - November 13th, 2013, 12:49 pm Post #28 - November 13th, 2013, 12:49 pm
    In Tinley check out Rubino's at 16635 Oak Park Ave. When I lived in the area it was my go to Italian specialty store. Great sandwiches and more.

http://www.rubinositalianimports.com/index.html
  • Post #29 - November 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm
    Post #29 - November 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm Post #29 - November 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm
    metro man wrote:In Tinley check out Rubino's at 16635 Oak Park Ave. When I lived in the area it was my go to Italian specialty store. Great sandwiches and more.

http://www.rubinositalianimports.com/index.html

lol, on my short list, just a bit too far from work to get there and back in an hour. Probably gonna have to save it for a weekend visit.
  • Post #30 - November 14th, 2013, 9:35 am
    Post #30 - November 14th, 2013, 9:35 am Post #30 - November 14th, 2013, 9:35 am
    Gonna have to throw Original Mr. Beef and Italia Imports names into the ring as one of the best "right down the street from one another" 1-2 punches around.

Located about a mile apart on 143rd street - one in Homer(mr beef) & one in Orlands(italia), a combo hot or an Italian Beef hot from The Original Mr. Beef, then an Italian sub from Italia Imports rival's and possibly surpasses the Alpine - Johnnies 2-fer in my world.

Original Mr. Beef in Homer starts getting love in the IB thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2931&start=450

also from The King:

http://chibbqking.blogspot.com/2013/10/ ... -beef.html

Italia Imports:

Italian Sub

Italia has my favorite sub right now:, Over the past 2 weeks I have eaten there 2x, Frangellas 2x, Bertos 2 x, and Alpine this past weekend and a few times before. Something popping and fresh about Italias sub.

Gonna rank the Ital Subs Ive had in the past 2 weks(not all in the Orlands area but figured Id share

#1 - Italia Imports - Orlands Park
    #2 - Alpine - Elmowoods Park
    #3 - Bertos - Downers Grove
    #4 - Frangellas - Palos Park

Still gotta get to Rubinos and Stefanellis in Lockport to name a few.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more