LTH Home

Rich's: European Food (Polish Delicatessen)

Rich's: European Food (Polish Delicatessen)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Rich's: European Food (Polish Delicatessen)

Post #1 - August 23rd, 2005, 1:20 pm
    Post #1 - August 23rd, 2005, 1:20 pm Post #1 - August 23rd, 2005, 1:20 pm
    Rich's: European Food
    Polish Delicatessen & Liquors, Western & Iowa

Chicago is hardly a city in which there is a dearth of Polish delicatessens and I have no doubt that there are quite a few that I don't know about and perhaps never will know about that are truly outstanding. One outstanding one, at least in the view of myself and a few others who frequent this board is Kurowski's (link) butcher shop and grocery and deli, up on Milwaukee. As much as I like Kurowski's, I can't get there too often, and so have had to look for places a little nearer to where we live.

Not long after we moved to the Near West Side about a year ago, I set myslef to the task of exploring the offerings of Western Avenue both to the south of us and to the north. To my great delight, a short ways to the north, is a nice cluster of Polish and (I assume) Ukrainian bars, restaurants and food stores both on and in the vicinity of Western Ave in the Ukrainian Village neighbourhood. Among these establishments is a place that ranks as one of my favourites in several categories: delicatessen, ethnic grocery, neighbourhood grocery, sausage shop, take-out joint and beer store. This place, which I know some of you are familiar with, is Rich's Deli at the corner of Iowa (900 North) and Western:

What I like about Rich's are the following features (and more):
    • meats and sausages: good prices, good quality.
    • prepared foods: for when you're in a rush, some tasty prepared foods are always available, though they change from day to day (stuffed cabbage rolls, pierogi, chicken cutlets, fried fish filets, roasted chicken pieces, etc.)
    • produce: a good selection of basic fruits and vegetables and everything always looks beautifully fresh.
    • excellent Polish dried mushrooms for $14 per pound.
    • lots of baked goods from various local establishments.
    • very nice range of packaged goods from Poland and elsewhere in Eastern Europe, some German items as well.
    • smoked fish, pickled you-name-it, frozen Eastern European dumplings of various kinds.
    • a great beer selection with many of the items at great prices; through this store, I've come really to appreciate Polish beer but, if I'm in the mood for something else, they have other options, including German, Czech, Ukrainian, Russian, Lithuanian, Slovak, Dutch...

I won't make any grandiose claims here about how well Rich's may stack up against other Polish stores of this type, but I would be shocked if it weren't among the better ones. And the staff there, some of which has little command of English, is always very friendly and helpful. For those who live in this general part of the city, it's a great store to have around.

Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #2 - August 23rd, 2005, 2:13 pm
    Post #2 - August 23rd, 2005, 2:13 pm Post #2 - August 23rd, 2005, 2:13 pm
    I'd agree that they are a good resource for all the consumable items you list, but I have to disagree about the staff.

I've never gotten even remotely pleasant service on any visit.
  • Post #3 - August 23rd, 2005, 4:56 pm
    Post #3 - August 23rd, 2005, 4:56 pm Post #3 - August 23rd, 2005, 4:56 pm
    While in that area, Ann's bakery on Chicago between Damen and Western (north side of street) makes a nice bread, and has dried mushrooms as well. Can't do a price comparison, but the bread reminds me of my Irish grandma's potato bread.
  • Post #4 - February 21st, 2007, 12:26 pm
    Post #4 - February 21st, 2007, 12:26 pm Post #4 - February 21st, 2007, 12:26 pm
    So, I discovered Rich's about six months ago, and I think their amazingly cheap European chocolate is reason enough to shop here. I also found the best mangos I've ever tasted back in the fall, and the cheapest milk in the area. Of course the produce is fresh, and the pastries are exotic.

I'm hoping someone on LTH might have some advice of other items to look for/try, since nearly everyone in the store speaks Ukrainian and I'm intimidate by the long line at the deli counter.

I found this
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/h8T36i6gb_MVgRAiqwtUug

But not much else! Any imput?
  • Post #5 - November 1st, 2008, 9:36 pm
    Post #5 - November 1st, 2008, 9:36 pm Post #5 - November 1st, 2008, 9:36 pm
    Can someone recommend which Polish sausage to get? The selection is a little overwhelming. Thanks

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more