LTH Home

Coupon Cleaning Dinner #2: Semiramis, Fri 8/27 at 7pm

Coupon Cleaning Dinner #2: Semiramis, Fri 8/27 at 7pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Coupon Cleaning Dinner #2: Semiramis, Fri 8/27 at 7pm

Post #1 - August 16th, 2010, 10:05 am
    Post #1 - August 16th, 2010, 10:05 am Post #1 - August 16th, 2010, 10:05 am
    I have a Groupon that expires 9/12 that I want to get rid of. It's for $35, and I figured LTH can help me with that!

I'm thinking a nice buffet for 8 would be just the right size. Remember, it's BYOB.

Let me know your favorite dishes and I'll set this dinner up with management ahead of time. I've never been here before, so dishes with the most votes win. I'm thinking 3 appetizers & 4 entrees.

4639 N. Kedzie Ave., Chicago
    http://www.semiramisrestaurant.com

ATTENDEES:
    ----------
    Pie Lady

CHOW:
    -----------
    Ful

Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #2 - August 16th, 2010, 10:20 am
    Post #2 - August 16th, 2010, 10:20 am Post #2 - August 16th, 2010, 10:20 am
    I've heard before from businesses that a lot of customers do this with their groupons - order exactly up to the amount of the groupon, even going so far as to put things back from the cart at retail establishments if the tally goes over the Groupon amount. Though the hope for restauranteurs is that people will spend more than the Groupon amount, these owners too claim that in many cases, it just doesn't happen. People, they say, actually pull out a calculator to make sure they don't go over.

I always thought all of this was exaggerated. Could so many customers really behave this way? I'm disappointed to see that the answer is apparently yes. That LTHForum is being used as a conduit for it makes me even sadder.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #3 - August 16th, 2010, 10:45 am
    Post #3 - August 16th, 2010, 10:45 am Post #3 - August 16th, 2010, 10:45 am
    Kennyz wrote:I always thought all of this was exaggerated. Could so many customers really behave this way? I'm disappointed to see that the answer is apparently yes. That LTHForum is being used as a conduit for it makes me even sadder.

Given the way that every LTH group I've ever been a part of has ordered/eaten, I find it nearly inconceivable that a group of eight would not spend more than $35. In any case, I find it impossible to know with such certainty what's in anyone else's mind when planning an event like this and am impressed that you're so clairvoyant.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #4 - August 16th, 2010, 10:50 am
    Post #4 - August 16th, 2010, 10:50 am Post #4 - August 16th, 2010, 10:50 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:clairvoyant.

It's not clairvoyance, it's literacy. The OP is going on a Friday night, seeking a party of 8, and says she's planning to order 3 apps and 4 entrees. She did the same kind of planning the last time she had a 35 dollar coupon.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #5 - August 16th, 2010, 10:57 am
    Post #5 - August 16th, 2010, 10:57 am Post #5 - August 16th, 2010, 10:57 am
    And says she's planning on 3 apps and 4 entrees on her coupon. And by what foreknowledge do you presume to conclude beyond the shadow of a doubt that no one at that table, the organizer included, will spend any more money?
    Last edited by Gypsy Boy on August 16th, 2010, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #6 - August 16th, 2010, 10:59 am
    Post #6 - August 16th, 2010, 10:59 am Post #6 - August 16th, 2010, 10:59 am
    Someone at the table might spend more money. I certainly won't know, because it's not a table I would consider being part of.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #7 - August 16th, 2010, 11:00 am
    Post #7 - August 16th, 2010, 11:00 am Post #7 - August 16th, 2010, 11:00 am
    Eight people, four entrees. Someone "might" spend more money? Aside from the sheer ridiculousness of that presumption, since you don't know--and since the event has barely been announced (and you've already indicated you won't attend), how can you presume to judge?
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #8 - August 16th, 2010, 11:01 am
    Post #8 - August 16th, 2010, 11:01 am Post #8 - August 16th, 2010, 11:01 am
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Eight people, four entrees. Someone "might" spend more money? Aside from the sheer ridiculousness of that presumption, since you don't know--and since the event has barely been announced (and you've already indicated you won't attend), how can you presume to judge?

I trust my reading comprehension.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #9 - August 16th, 2010, 11:04 am
    Post #9 - August 16th, 2010, 11:04 am Post #9 - August 16th, 2010, 11:04 am
    It has nothing to do with "reading comprehension" and everything to do with "jumping to a conclusion."
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #10 - August 16th, 2010, 11:05 am
    Post #10 - August 16th, 2010, 11:05 am Post #10 - August 16th, 2010, 11:05 am
    Go read the thread from the Noon-O-Kabob dinner and see if you still feel that way. If you're still not sure, call the manager and see if he remembers this group. I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #11 - August 16th, 2010, 11:10 am
    Post #11 - August 16th, 2010, 11:10 am Post #11 - August 16th, 2010, 11:10 am
    I'd like to offer a small piece of information that Pie Lady, or anyone else interested, might find useful:

My wife and I get takeout from Semiramis with regularity and we often come very close to a $35 tab for only two people.

Fattoush salad, baba ganouj, one sandwich, one entree and I think you're already at $32 before tax, tip, etc.
  • Post #12 - August 16th, 2010, 11:36 am
    Post #12 - August 16th, 2010, 11:36 am Post #12 - August 16th, 2010, 11:36 am
    First of all, I find it appalling that anyone would flat out accuse me of doing something unscrupulous, especially someone who doesn't know me from Adam. How dare you speak to me as if I'm doing something illegal, and if owe you any explanations.
    Second, the cheapest entrees alone are $9 apiece. The cheapest apps are $3. Therefore, if you had any "comprehension" of math as you do reading, you'll see that the total would come to $45.
    Third, at the last event, we all paid at least $5 each over the coupon since we also ordered alcohol (or at least some of us did) plus a very generous 25% tip.
    Fourth, LTHers rarely follow any "order only this much" guidelines.
    Last, please tell me you didn't actually call Noon-O-Kabob to remind the manager of our devious little excursion that, I may add, no one at the event seemed to find wrong. You didn't have a problem with until well after the fact, either. Interesting how utterly wrong you think this is but you somehow let it slide until now. Nice police work there.
    Last edited by Pie Lady on August 16th, 2010, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #13 - August 16th, 2010, 11:41 am
    Post #13 - August 16th, 2010, 11:41 am Post #13 - August 16th, 2010, 11:41 am
    And thanks for the backup, Gypsy Boy and eatchicago. Any further sniping will be answered via pm to avoid my perfectly honest invite going to waste. Hopefully I'll see some LTH'ers there. :)
    Last edited by Pie Lady on August 16th, 2010, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #14 - August 16th, 2010, 11:45 am
    Post #14 - August 16th, 2010, 11:45 am Post #14 - August 16th, 2010, 11:45 am
    Pie Lady wrote:Third, at the last event, we all paid at least $5 over the coupon since we also ordered alcohol (or at least some of us did) plus a very generous 25% tip.

Exactly. Look, I'm sure not everyone feels the way I do and you are free to do whatever you wish. But when you reserve a table for 8 on a Friday night at Noon O Kabob and spend a 25 dollar coupon plus an additional 40 bucks or so, you should know that you have seriously disappointed the restaurant. You have spent less than half of what a typical party there spends. On a Friday night, to occupy that much space and order 4 entrees for 8 people to share is nervy - more so when you also present a coupon to pay for part of your meal. And when you make the reservation under LTHForum, as you did, I don't like the image it projects on me. Again, do as you wish. It's your dinner. And these are my opinions.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #15 - August 16th, 2010, 12:29 pm
    Post #15 - August 16th, 2010, 12:29 pm Post #15 - August 16th, 2010, 12:29 pm
    I'm out of town, but a great idea to introduce some folks to a GNR, or perhaps it's a return visit, either way it's always a pleasure to visit and eat with others from LTH.

Have a great time and take and post some pictures.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #16 - August 18th, 2010, 10:07 am
    Post #16 - August 18th, 2010, 10:07 am Post #16 - August 18th, 2010, 10:07 am
    Pie Lady-

Thanks for opening this up to everyone. I think it's really nice of you to share your groupon this way. Sadly, I won't be able to make it, but hope to see you the next veg food exchange.
  • Post #17 - August 18th, 2010, 10:20 am
    Post #17 - August 18th, 2010, 10:20 am Post #17 - August 18th, 2010, 10:20 am
    Kennyz wrote:Again, do as you wish. It's your dinner. And these are my opinions.
    Reminds me of a dinner I arranged for 60 a few years ago at Lao Szechuan. Most quite enjoyed the meal but one person complained, vocally, and still to this day occasionally brings it up to mutual acquaintances and on food message boards. At least he attended the meal before he critiqued my ordering style. ;)
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - August 18th, 2010, 10:42 am
    Post #18 - August 18th, 2010, 10:42 am Post #18 - August 18th, 2010, 10:42 am
    veghound wrote:Pie Lady-

Thanks for opening this up to everyone. I think it's really nice of you to share your groupon this way. Sadly, I won't be able to make it, but hope to see you the next veg food exchange.

Thanks! I hope to come to one soon...I have at least two recipes I want to make.

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #19 - August 18th, 2010, 10:45 am
    Post #19 - August 18th, 2010, 10:45 am Post #19 - August 18th, 2010, 10:45 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:Again, do as you wish. It's your dinner. And these are my opinions.
    Reminds me of a dinner I arranged for 60 a few years ago at Lao Szechuan. Most quite enjoyed the meal but one person complained, vocally, and still to this day occasionally brings it up to mutual acquaintances and on food message boards. At least he attended the meal before he critiqued my ordering style. ;)

Ha! I think some folks just like complaining for the fun of it. I like movies, personally.

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #20 - August 18th, 2010, 10:53 am
    Post #20 - August 18th, 2010, 10:53 am Post #20 - August 18th, 2010, 10:53 am
    G Wiv wrote:

Ah, nostalgia - isn't it great? The wistful memory this conjures up for me is of my former mother-in-law, who would always end her lectures with a a smile or wink of questionable sincerity.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #21 - August 18th, 2010, 11:03 am
    Post #21 - August 18th, 2010, 11:03 am Post #21 - August 18th, 2010, 11:03 am
    Kennyz wrote:a a smile or wink of questionable sincerity.
    Questionable? ;)
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - August 18th, 2010, 11:16 am
    Post #22 - August 18th, 2010, 11:16 am Post #22 - August 18th, 2010, 11:16 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:a a smile or wink of questionable sincerity.
    Questionable? ;)

I'd reply, but my snarky posts get censored by the Moderators.

Fuckerberg on Food

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more