LTH Home

Restaurants in Highland Park Area

Restaurants in Highland Park Area
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Restaurants in Highland Park Area

Post #1 - November 18th, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Post #1 - November 18th, 2009, 12:14 pm Post #1 - November 18th, 2009, 12:14 pm
    I'm going to be in Highland Park to see a movie on Saturday and since it's not my neck of the woods, I'm wondering if there are any recommendations. I was thinking about Carlos so that should give you an idea of the type of food I'm looking for. Is Carlos still as good as it used to be? Any other places?
  • Post #2 - November 18th, 2009, 12:52 pm
    Post #2 - November 18th, 2009, 12:52 pm Post #2 - November 18th, 2009, 12:52 pm
    High end and/or French? There are a bunch of choices in that area. Here's info on six - one in downtown HP, one a few miles south of there, and four just north of HP in Highwood (technically Carlos is just over the town line in HP, but it's just footsteps from the three Highwood restaurants).

Carlos is still excellent, based on my dinner there within the past year. It's also the only formal restaurant in the Chicago suburbs (i.e. jackets required for gentlemen). Rather pricey although they have some deals that make it considerably less so (such as their BYO Mondays and Fridays); see their website for details.

If you're going to a movie at the Highland Park Theater, you should be aware that right next door to the theater is Cafe Central, a very good casual French bistro which is also owned/run by Carlos and Debbie Nieto of Carlos. (As it happens, I'm having lunch there again tomorrow, so if you have any questions I can't answer myself, I'll be happy to ask!)

For a place in between Cafe Central and Carlos in price, formality, style, etc. Michael is in Winnetka, just a few miles south of Highland Park on Green Bay Road. It is simply wonderful, with some of the best food in the entire Chicago area, and Michael Lachowicz is making quite a name for himself there since leaving Le Francais. The food is contemporary American with just a slight French accent. Michael is not as formal as Carlos, with a casual feel to it although it's still very nice. It's also considerably less expensive than Carlos; I consider Michael quite the bargain for high-end food.

Another long-time casual French favorite in the area is Froggy's in Highwood, just north of Highland Park and just across the tracks from Carlos. I haven't been there in years, although I frequently get things from their Gourmet Frog carry-out next door.

One more excellent high-end restaurant in that area - in fact, right next to Froggy's - is Gabriel's. It's hard to categorize because the food combines the best of American, Italian, and French food without being strictly any one of those. It's very good.

Miramar is another restaurant in that vicinity (Highwood, a few doors from Carlos), started by Gabriel Viti of Gabriel's and recently employing Roland Liccioni, formerly of Carlos, Le Francais, and Le Lan. It's a bistro with traditional French food but seems like you're sitting in Cuba. I've been there numerous times pre-Liccioni and have found it to be just okay, not spectacular (but it's very pleasant to sit outside in the summertime).
    Last edited by nsxtasy on November 18th, 2009, 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
  • Post #3 - November 18th, 2009, 1:00 pm
    Post #3 - November 18th, 2009, 1:00 pm Post #3 - November 18th, 2009, 1:00 pm
    Abigail's:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... lished+asc
  • Post #4 - November 19th, 2009, 8:00 am
    Post #4 - November 19th, 2009, 8:00 am Post #4 - November 19th, 2009, 8:00 am
    Thanks for the rec's. I'm leaning towards Michael.
  • Post #5 - November 19th, 2009, 10:42 am
    Post #5 - November 19th, 2009, 10:42 am Post #5 - November 19th, 2009, 10:42 am
    Jean Blanchard wrote:Thanks for the rec's. I'm leaning towards Michael.

If you're considering Winnetka, I'd recommend Avli Estiatorio. It's certainly not as refined as Michael strives to be but it's an outstanding Greek place in a very comfortable setting.

Another favorite of mine, which might be too casual for this particular instance, is GNR Prairie Grass Cafe in Northbrook.

=R=

Avli Estiatorio (in The Laundry mall)
    566 Chestnut St
    Winnetka, IL 60093-2228
    (847) 446-9300

Prairie Grass Cafe
    601 Skokie Blvd
    Northbrook, IL 60062-2813
    (847) 205-4433
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #6 - November 19th, 2009, 11:20 am
    Post #6 - November 19th, 2009, 11:20 am Post #6 - November 19th, 2009, 11:20 am
    This is weird. A couple of months ago, I created a thread for Jerry's Restaurant in Winnetka, and now the thread is not there. (No search term I can think of brings it up, and I'm pretty good at searching.) Anyway, nice, small, upscale room with good food and drink. Lively, but conversation-friendly. Attached to a catering/takeout business called Corner Cooks.

Jerry's Restaurant
    507 Chestnut St.
    Winnetka, IL 60093
    847 441 0134
  • Post #7 - November 19th, 2009, 11:58 am
    Post #7 - November 19th, 2009, 11:58 am Post #7 - November 19th, 2009, 11:58 am
    Hi,

I used the search for keyword Jerry for poster Riddlemay in Eating OUt in Chicagoland onlY:

Jerry's is not missing.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #8 - November 19th, 2009, 12:02 pm
    Post #8 - November 19th, 2009, 12:02 pm Post #8 - November 19th, 2009, 12:02 pm
    Thanks, Cathy. I used my usual method of typing "slth [search term]" into the URL window at the top of my Firefox page, which always has worked best for me before, and it came up with a lot of LTH results but not the right one. I should have thought to use LTH's internal search function, but in the past this has not worked as well for me as the other method. Thanks also for providing the link to the thread.
  • Post #9 - November 19th, 2009, 12:25 pm
    Post #9 - November 19th, 2009, 12:25 pm Post #9 - November 19th, 2009, 12:25 pm
    some really good rec's,
    I love Cafe Central, especially if you are going to the movie next door, couldn't be more convenient!
    Not big on Miramar, tho-had a plate of fish sail by reeking to high heaven-
    sure hope the folks who got it didn't eat it....
    I also am a big fan of Prairie Grass- transcendent food...

If you want old school classy Italian up in Highwood, the last time I was at Del Rio it was very nice, sort of a throwback, but in a good way.

Lots to choose from...
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #10 - November 20th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Post #10 - November 20th, 2009, 9:53 am Post #10 - November 20th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Now I'm torn! Do I go to Cafe Central or Michael??? I know that Cafe Central is more casual but the food is what's important. Decisions, decisions. The only reason I'm not going to Prairie Grass (which I love) is because I want to try something new and I don't get to that area very often.
  • Post #11 - November 20th, 2009, 11:00 am
    Post #11 - November 20th, 2009, 11:00 am Post #11 - November 20th, 2009, 11:00 am
    Jean Blanchard wrote:Now I'm torn! Do I go to Cafe Central or Michael??? I know that Cafe Central is more casual but the food is what's important. Decisions, decisions.

I've eaten numerous times at both places, for both lunch and dinner. (Michael serves lunch only on Fridays.) They are really very different places in most ways (including Cafe Central's proximity to the theater, if that's the one you're going to).

You've probably looked at their menus on their websites, at the prices as well as the food items listed. The food at Cafe Central is conventional French bistro food. It's well prepared, but you probably won't have anything you've never had before. (I like going there, in part, because I enjoy the floating island dessert and it's one of the few places I can get it.) The atmosphere is that of a lively, somewhat crowded French brasserie, with menu items listed on the chalkboard above the open kitchen (yes, they also give you menus), and small tables in the middle and booths along the sides, not a lot of room between tables. And they're doing a good business; at lunch yesterday, they were maybe 3/4 full, which is an accomplishment in this economy - hey, good for them!

The atmosphere at Michael is less casual but it's very flexible that way. I usually wear business casual, but I've seen a wide variety there, everything from blue jeans to jacket and tie, and you can be comfortable however you are. It's got a fairly traditional/unobtrusive "nice restaurant" decor, and is reasonably spacious. The food is much more creative at Michael (again, check out their menus). I've had very good food at both places, but the food at Michael almost always "wows" me. At the end of each of the past few years, I think back upon my best meals of the year, and my one or two meals at Michael are always at or near the top of the list. Also, if you're a fan of foie gras like I am, you'll want to know that Michael's dish of seared foie gras over foie gras strudel is the best foie gras preparation I've ever had.

If the food is really what's important to you, Michael would be my recommendation.
  • Post #12 - November 20th, 2009, 1:20 pm
    Post #12 - November 20th, 2009, 1:20 pm Post #12 - November 20th, 2009, 1:20 pm
    You convinced me. I'm going to Michael. thanks, again.
  • Post #13 - November 23rd, 2009, 2:29 pm
    Post #13 - November 23rd, 2009, 2:29 pm Post #13 - November 23rd, 2009, 2:29 pm
    Well, we went to Michael on Saturday night and it was just spectacular. We did try the foie gras and it was certainly right up there with the best preparations I've ever tasted! Thanks for the tip.
  • Post #14 - November 24th, 2009, 10:27 am
    Post #14 - November 24th, 2009, 10:27 am Post #14 - November 24th, 2009, 10:27 am
    Sorry I didn't see this before you came up to Highland Park. My suggestion would have been Bank Lane Bistro in Lake Forest.
  • Post #15 - May 23rd, 2010, 3:08 pm
    Post #15 - May 23rd, 2010, 3:08 pm Post #15 - May 23rd, 2010, 3:08 pm
    Highland Park is not my neck of the woods at all, I am looking for a dinner option tomorrow night there as wwe have to go visit a new mother @ the Highland Park hospital. Looking for some affordable good food. or would we be better off going somewhere south of there?

Looking for a place with a alcohol, and kid friendly(please no casa de Isaacs rec's as I have no interest in going there).

thanks
  • Post #16 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:05 pm
    Post #16 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:05 pm Post #16 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:05 pm
    Jim, since you've done quite a bit of fried chicken exploring in parts south and west of Chicago, it may be of worth to you to check out the idiosyncrasies of the North Shore fried chicken subspecies, the most archetypal of which I think can be found at Ravinia BBQ and Grill, which is about 2-3 miles south of Downtown HP and the hospital in the Ravinia business district. I believe the chicken is broasted, though you'll be hard pressed to notice because they pretty much mop the bird in sauce--sort of like Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, if the hot was replaced with sugary sweet. It's a guilty pleasure, to be sure, but one of the better ones on in the area; go with the Teriyaki. (You can get the chicken plain, but what's the point?)

Everything else about the place--the prices, the sides, etc.--is mediocre, but it is a family restaurant, and they do have booze.

Ravinia BBQ & Grill
    592 Roger Williams Avenue
    Highland Park, IL 60035-4816
    (847) 433-1111
    www.raviniabbq.com
  • Post #17 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:08 pm
    Post #17 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:08 pm Post #17 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:08 pm
    chezbrad wrote:Jim, since you've done quite a bit of fried chicken exploring in parts south and west of Chicago, it may be of worth to you to check out the idiosyncrasies of the North Shore fried chicken subspecies, the most archetypal of which I think can be found at Ravinia BBQ and Grill, which is about 2-3 miles south of Downtown HP and the hospital in the Ravinia business district. I believe the chicken is broasted, though you'll be hard pressed to notice because they pretty much mop the bird in sauce--sort of like Prince's Hot Chicken Shack in Nashville, if the hot was replaced with sugary sweet. It's a guilty pleasure, to be sure, but one of the better ones on in the area; go with the Teriyaki. (You can get the chicken plain, but what's the point?)

Everything else about the place--the prices, the sides, etc.--is mediocre, but it is a family restaurant, and they do have booze.

Ravinia BBQ & Grill
    592 Roger Williams Avenue
    Highland Park, IL 60035-4816
    (847) 433-1111
    http://www.raviniabbq.com

thanks, I could see hitting there.
  • Post #18 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:30 pm
    Post #18 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:30 pm Post #18 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:30 pm
    Another option nearby:
    The BBQ Pit
    www.thebbqpit.net
    589 Elm Place
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    (847) 432-6393
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #19 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:35 pm
    Post #19 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:35 pm Post #19 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:35 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Another option nearby:
    The BBQ Pit
    http://www.thebbqpit.net
    589 Elm Place
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    (847) 432-6393

lol. :lol:

I dont pay for bbq, thanks though.
  • Post #20 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:37 pm
    Post #20 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:37 pm Post #20 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:37 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    The BBQ Pit
    589 Elm Place
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    (847) 432-6393

I prefer the skirt steak. :)
  • Post #21 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:42 pm
    Post #21 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:42 pm Post #21 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:42 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    jimswside wrote:
    The BBQ Pit
    589 Elm Place
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    (847) 432-6393

I prefer the skirt steak. :)

ill take a closer look at their website, thanks again.
  • Post #22 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:46 pm
    Post #22 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:46 pm Post #22 - May 23rd, 2010, 5:46 pm
    Another option:
    City Park Grill
    www.thecityparkgrill.com
    1783 Saint Johns Avenue
    Highland Park
    (847) 432-9111
    They've got a kids eat free deal Mondays and Tuesdays.
  • Post #23 - May 23rd, 2010, 6:12 pm
    Post #23 - May 23rd, 2010, 6:12 pm Post #23 - May 23rd, 2010, 6:12 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Another option:
    City Park Grill
    http://www.thecityparkgrill.com
    1783 Saint Johns Avenue
    Highland Park
    (847) 432-9111
    They've got a kids eat free deal Mondays and Tuesdays.

These owners also have the Claim Company in Northbrook Court. One of the claims to fame is their hamburger with multiple add ons, which you can get at City Park Grill, too.

This place happens to be maybe no more than two blocks from my house.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #24 - May 23rd, 2010, 8:15 pm
    Post #24 - May 23rd, 2010, 8:15 pm Post #24 - May 23rd, 2010, 8:15 pm
    jimswside wrote:Highland Park is not my neck of the woods at all, I am looking for a dinner option tomorrow night there as wwe have to go visit a new mother @ the Highland Park hospital. Looking for some affordable good food. or would we be better off going somewhere south of there?

I work in Highland Park and have eaten just about everywhere. Given your lack of interest in LCdI, I'd recommend driving south and hitting something on the way back into the city. I would recommend Isaac and Moishe's deli (just around the corner from La Casa), where there is a steam-table/taqueria in the back of the grocery and the focus is on street food but they don't offer alcohol. Michael's Redhots is a generally respectable Chicago-style hotdog joint, though I can't say it's particularly distinctive in any way and I'm not sure they serve alcohol. I agree that the aforementioned Ravinia Grill does turn out a fairly distinctive fried chicken variation. Short of those few, there's nothing in HP that really enthuses me. GNR Maria's Bakery is a great stop but definitely not the kind of place you're looking for on this trip (as I don't think they offer dinner). Highland Park offers a lot of great things but destination dining isn't one of them.

If you absolutely want to stay in Highland Park, I suppose that a couple of the suggestions above might also do the trick but knowing you as I do, I doubt you'd be very happy with City Park Grill (just ok) or BBQ Pit (really, pretty awful, IMO).

=R=

Isaac & Moishe's Deli
    311 Waukegan Avenue
    Highwood, IL 60040-1312
    (847) 433-0557

Michael's Chicago-style Redhots
    1879 2nd Street
    Highland Park, IL 60035-3113
    (847) 432-3338
  • Post #25 - May 24th, 2010, 2:45 am
    Post #25 - May 24th, 2010, 2:45 am Post #25 - May 24th, 2010, 2:45 am
    Alcohol at I&M's Deli, or Michael's Red Hots? Is there really? News to me. I'll say yes to Michael's on being kid-friendly, but it's not a dinner place, it's a hot dog/burger lunch place, and I just can't see kids being very entertained by a visit to I&M's Deli. Might as well go to Buffo's in Highwood for beer and and a (very good) family-size pizza. But then you've gone north of the hospital and will have to double back.

I admit to being an acquaintance of the owner and my husband was a close friend of the owner-chef who passed away a while ago, but nonetheless I think Bluegrass fits your bill and is close to the hospital. Excellent food, excellent bar, and very family friendly. Get off 94 at Deerfield Rd, Bluegrass is just west of the highway, and after you eat, cross back over the highway, turn left at the light onto Sunset Rd, go down to where it dead ends at Park Avenue West, and you're practically at the entrance to the hospital.

Again, I may be biased, but I sincerely don't think there is a better-quality dining option in Highland Park that fits your criteria. If you want something comparable, you need to look up in Highwood, or along Milwaukee Avenue in Wheeling.

Or, if you think my favoritism is showing, you can get off at Lake-Cook and go to Ronnie's favorite, Prairie Grass. Nice dinner place with excellent food, but the kids will be glad to see pizza on the menu.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #26 - May 24th, 2010, 6:29 am
    Post #26 - May 24th, 2010, 6:29 am Post #26 - May 24th, 2010, 6:29 am
    thanks folks, seems to be a few options.
  • Post #27 - May 24th, 2010, 6:51 am
    Post #27 - May 24th, 2010, 6:51 am Post #27 - May 24th, 2010, 6:51 am
    Not sure what route you're taking but if you're headed back by way of the Edens, Northbrook has a number of good options right off the highway.

Barnaby's (my favorite pizza place--old school, dark pub atmosphere, free pimento cheese and ritz crackers while you wait, good dinner salad in addition to my favorite thin, cornmeal crust, real cheese pizza), Charlie Beinlichs (also pub atmosphere, great burgers) and Francesco's Hole in the Wall (casual, homestyle Italian) are all within a mile of one another between Lake Cook and Dundee on Skokie Blvd (runs parallel to the Edens). For any of these, you'd want to get off at Lake Cook, go west and make your first left onto Skokie Blvd. If you decide on Barnaby's, I'd suggest ordering via phone when you leave the hospital and then your pizza will be ready right about when you arrive (keeps the kiddies happy when they don't have to wait!!)

Barnaby's Northbrook
    960 Skokie Blvd, Northbrook, IL 60062
    (847) 498-3900

Francesco's Hole in the Wall
    254 Skokie Boulevard, Northbrook, IL 60062-1612
    (847) 272-0155‎

Charlie Beinlich's (Closed Mondays)
    290 Skokie Boulevard
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    (847) 714-9375
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #28 - May 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
    Post #28 - May 24th, 2010, 8:21 am Post #28 - May 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
    The Grill, 331 Waukegan rd in Highwood, has decent food (though just basic bar/grill fare), but it is very kid friendly with a full bar. Highwood is only about an extra half mile away from the hospital than downtown HP. A block away and more upscale, would be Miramar, 301 Waukegan rd. They are fine with kids, but not nearly as kid friendly as The Grill, which has lots of games for the kids to play at the table. Miramar has been mentioned on LTH before.

-Will
  • Post #29 - May 24th, 2010, 8:59 am
    Post #29 - May 24th, 2010, 8:59 am Post #29 - May 24th, 2010, 8:59 am
    Hi,

What I like at The Grill is their hummos appetizer with the cucumber and tomato salad vinaigrette on top. I have ordered it as a light meal. It is definitely kid friendly, because it can be rather noisy with kids sometimes.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #30 - May 24th, 2010, 9:29 am
    Post #30 - May 24th, 2010, 9:29 am Post #30 - May 24th, 2010, 9:29 am
    Katie wrote:Alcohol at I&M's Deli, or Michael's Red Hots? Is there really? News to me.
    I never said there was. Definitely no alcohol at either place but since I know the OP fairly well, I thought these places might be of interest to him, regardless. Thanks, though, for clearing that up. :wink:

boudreaulicious wrote:Not sure what route you're taking but if you're headed back by way of the Edens, Northbrook has a number of good options right off the highway.

Barnaby's (my favorite pizza place--old school, dark pub atmosphere, free pimento cheese and ritz crackers while you wait, good dinner salad in addition to my favorite thin, cornmeal crust, real cheese pizza), Charlie Beinlichs (also pub atmosphere, great burgers) and Francesco's Hole in the Wall (casual, homestyle Italian) are all within a mile of one another between Lake Cook and Dundee on Skokie Blvd (runs parallel to the Edens). For any of these, you'd want to get off at Lake Cook, go west and make your first left onto Skokie Blvd. If you decide on Barnaby's, I'd suggest ordering via phone when you leave the hospital and then your pizza will be ready right about when you arrive (keeps the kiddies happy when they don't have to wait!!)

Barnaby's Northbrook
    960 Skokie Blvd, Northbrook, IL 60062
    (847) 498-3900

Francesco's Hole in the Wall
    254 Skokie Boulevard, Northbrook, IL 60062-1612
    (847) 272-0155‎

Charlie Beinlich's (Closed Mondays)
    290 Skokie Boulevard
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    (847) 714-9375

Good choices, IMO. I especially enjoy Barnaby's because I think their tavern-style pizza is delicious and very distinctive.

Also, I think that Miramar Bistro in Highwood -- helmed by Roland Liccioni -- is worth a trip if you're into bistro-style food. Since it's not actually in Highland Park, it didn't initially occur to me.

=R=

Miramar Bistro
    301 Waukegan Avenue
    Highwood, IL 60040-1312
    (847) 433-1078

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat