LTH Home

What are you serving for the Super Bowl?

What are you serving for the Super Bowl?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 6
  • Post #31 - January 22nd, 2009, 11:39 pm
    Post #31 - January 22nd, 2009, 11:39 pm Post #31 - January 22nd, 2009, 11:39 pm
    Curious myself, I looked the Visa survey up on Google. Link here to a story that includes actual numbers from the survey, and something of the methodology.

Oh, and thanks to Jim for the reminder that I really do need to determine a menu for a small gathering at my place for the big game (hopefully not so small as to be considered lonely though :lol: ). I don't have the following day entirely off, I have no commitments until a 2:00pm class the next day. So close enough, and true indulgence is in order.
  • Post #32 - January 23rd, 2009, 7:08 am
    Post #32 - January 23rd, 2009, 7:08 am Post #32 - January 23rd, 2009, 7:08 am
    the wimperoo wrote:Jim - Do you mind posting the amount of liquids used in your brine for the korean wings (http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 70#p234170)? I want to make those for my party.

I wish I could be more precise, but I pretty much eye the brine mixture. I use a large glass mixing bowl, probably about 6 cups of water, 1-1/2 tbsp salt, a half cup of cranberry juice, a couple of tbsp of terryaki sauce, and a tbsp of garlic powder if I was to guess. Sorry I cant be more exact

I am kind of worried about wings though, I saw on the news this a.m. that there may be a shortage of wings due to one of the wing producers going out of business recently. I am going to try to buy mine this weekend.
    Last edited by jimswside on January 23rd, 2009, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #33 - January 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am
    Post #33 - January 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am Post #33 - January 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am
    Stagger wrote:What time should I bee there? :wink:

good one.. :D

I am actually kicking around the idea of hosting a bbq event this summer out at my house in the country, I live on about an acre of property, and enjoy firing up my smoker pretty much every weekend in the summer, I am thinking about inviting other LTHr's who are into bbq out to the country for a day of eating bbq, and swapping recipes, and techniques. Since I own only one smoker it would be BYOS(Bring your own smoker).
  • Post #34 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:13 am
    Post #34 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:13 am Post #34 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:13 am
    jimswside wrote:Since I own only one smoker it would be BYOS(Bring your own smoker).

I'm in................
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:20 am
    Post #35 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:20 am Post #35 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:20 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    jimswside wrote:Since I own only one smoker it would be BYOS(Bring your own smoker).

I'm in................

thats what I wanted to see. :)

I think I will post a thread on the events board, and get a feeler for how many might be interested, or may want to attend. I have been thinking about it for a while, and got the wifes thumbs up.
  • Post #36 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:30 am
    Post #36 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:30 am Post #36 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:30 am
    jimswside wrote:I think I will post a thread on the events board, and get a feeler for how many might be interested, or may want to attend.

A day of eating BBQ followed by a night of eating Fried Chicken in LaSalle County? Hell yes!
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #37 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:35 am
    Post #37 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:35 am Post #37 - January 23rd, 2009, 8:35 am
    jimswside wrote:
    the wimperoo wrote:Jim - Do you mind posting the amount of liquids used in your brine for the korean wings (viewtopic.php?p=234170#p234170)? I want to make those for my party.

I wish I could be more precise, but I pretty much eye the brine mixture. I use a large glass mixing bowl, probably about 6 cups of water, 1-1/2 tbsp salt, a half cup of cranberry juice, a couple of tbsp of terryaki sauce, and a tbsp of garlic powder if I was to guess. Sorry I cant be more exact

I am kind of worried about wings though, I saw on the news this a.m. that there may be a shortage of wings due to one of the wing producers going out of business recently. I am going to try to buy mine this weekend.

That's good enough for me. Thanks a lot!
  • Post #38 - January 23rd, 2009, 9:04 am
    Post #38 - January 23rd, 2009, 9:04 am Post #38 - January 23rd, 2009, 9:04 am
    sundevilpeg wrote:
    eva wrote:
    You and other Super Bowl party givers might be amused to learn that, according to a recent survey by Visa, nearly two-thirds of Americans host a Super Bowl party.

How is that physically and numerically possible? Do you have a link to this "survey"? Sounds a bit dubious, to say the least, and I'd like to see how they arrived at this number.

The link was in my original post. I found it pretty hard to believe myself--which is why I posted it.
  • Post #39 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:16 am
    Post #39 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:16 am Post #39 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:16 am
    G Wiv wrote:

I'm in................

Yes, consider yourself officially "on the hook" now! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #40 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:19 am
    Post #40 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:19 am Post #40 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:19 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

I'm in................

Yes, consider yourself officially "on the hook" now! :D

=R=

thats great.

I posted a thread under the events board. would you be making the trek out ronnie?
  • Post #41 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 am
    Post #41 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 am Post #41 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 am
    jimswside wrote:I posted a thread under the events board. would you be making the trek out ronnie?

As long as the timing works out, hell yeah! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #42 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 am
    Post #42 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 am Post #42 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    jimswside wrote:I posted a thread under the events board. would you be making the trek out ronnie?

As long as the timing works out, hell yeah! :)

=R=

great.

I am testing the waters kind of early, but this gives an opportunity to plan.
  • Post #43 - January 28th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Post #43 - January 28th, 2009, 3:14 pm Post #43 - January 28th, 2009, 3:14 pm
    I had a few people cancel out, and I also dont have time to head to my local butcher shop before the game, so I have to scrap the ribs, the salad sides, and smoking the sausage. :cry:

Instead I will toss the sausage in the steamer with the crab legs, beer, garlic, and crab boil, cook them off that way.

Everything else is a go:(guacamole, Muffaletta(just gotta hit Caputos on Sat.), Chicken wings(purchased last week & tossed in the freezer, to avoid any shortages), I cant wait to eat/drink, oh yeah I might watch some of the game... :)
  • Post #44 - February 1st, 2009, 7:42 am
    Post #44 - February 1st, 2009, 7:42 am Post #44 - February 1st, 2009, 7:42 am
    jimswside wrote:I wish I could be more precise, but I pretty much eye the brine mixture. I use a large glass mixing bowl, probably about 6 cups of water, 1-1/2 tbsp salt, a half cup of cranberry juice, a couple of tbsp of terryaki sauce, and a tbsp of garlic powder if I was to guess. Sorry I cant be more exact

How long a brine time, Jim?
  • Post #45 - February 1st, 2009, 8:55 am
    Post #45 - February 1st, 2009, 8:55 am Post #45 - February 1st, 2009, 8:55 am
    DeathByOrca wrote:
    jimswside wrote:I wish I could be more precise, but I pretty much eye the brine mixture. I use a large glass mixing bowl, probably about 6 cups of water, 1-1/2 tbsp salt, a half cup of cranberry juice, a couple of tbsp of terryaki sauce, and a tbsp of garlic powder if I was to guess. Sorry I cant be more exact

How long a brine time, Jim?

I just put my wings into the brine, I am going to give them about 2 hours.

Woke up @ 7:00, knocked out the guacamole, blue cheese salad dressing, muffaletta, carrot & celery sticks, as well as cut my wings & got them in the brine. All thats left is to get the wings out of the brine, get the deep fryer going, and get the steamer pot ready for the crabs later..

I forgot the kilbasa yesterday when I was out grocery shopping, so that is gone from the menu.. Oh well...... I guess 50 or so wings, 4 Lbs. of crab legs, a large muffaletta sandwich, and guacamole and chips will have to suffice for 4 adults and 1 crab leg & chicken wing munching toddler.. :)
  • Post #46 - February 1st, 2009, 9:49 am
    Post #46 - February 1st, 2009, 9:49 am Post #46 - February 1st, 2009, 9:49 am
    jimswside wrote:I just put my wings into the brine, I am going to give them about 2 hours.

Thanks very much.

Yesterday I made teryaki (soy, grapefruit juice, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, fresno chiles, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, honey, red pepper flake, reduced) and a hot sauce (Frank's, butter, garlic), cole slaw, blue cheese sauce, peppers and onions (for guest-provided sausages and rolls) salsa, celery and carrot sticks and garlicky guac. I made your brine, too, although I used grapefruit juice instead of cranberry because I didn't have any. Added some whole peppercorns, too.

My plan is to roast the wings in the oven a bit after the brine, baste half with each sauce, finish on the Weber kettle (while the sausages cook away on the indirect side) and spin them in more sauce again before serving. I'll hit the teryakis with some toasted sesame seed and cilantro before they get plated.

Should be a good day. Enjoy your day off tomorrow and thanks again!
  • Post #47 - February 1st, 2009, 9:55 am
    Post #47 - February 1st, 2009, 9:55 am Post #47 - February 1st, 2009, 9:55 am
    DeathByOrca wrote:
    jimswside wrote:I just put my wings into the brine, I am going to give them about 2 hours.

Thanks very much.

Yesterday I made teryaki (soy, grapefruit juice, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, fresno chiles, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, honey, red pepper flake, reduced) and a hot sauce (Frank's, butter, garlic), cole slaw, blue cheese sauce, peppers and onions (for guest-provided sausages and rolls) salsa, celery and carrot sticks and garlicky guac. I made your brine, too, although I used grapefruit juice instead of cranberry because I didn't have any. Added some whole peppercorns, too.

My plan is to roast the wings in the oven a bit after the brine, baste half with each sauce, finish on the Weber kettle (while the sausages cook away on the indirect side) and spin them in more sauce again before serving. I'll hit the teryakis with some toasted sesame seed and cilantro before they get plated.

Should be a good day. Enjoy your day off tomorrow and thanks again!

your menu sounds very good as well, especially finishing thw wings on the grill, enjoy your menu and the game.
  • Post #48 - February 1st, 2009, 9:57 am
    Post #48 - February 1st, 2009, 9:57 am Post #48 - February 1st, 2009, 9:57 am
    Since the wife and I had our holiday party a little last the plan was to just take it easy and make some chili (meat for me, veggie for her). Of course while shopping for ingredients, I noticed pork butt was on sale at Strack for $.99/lb. Needless to say the menu has changed to vegetarian chili and 6 pork butts as well as a few invites to friends ;) Hope it is enough for 6 people...

Jamie

Last edited by Jamieson22 on February 1st, 2009, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #49 - February 1st, 2009, 10:29 am
    Post #49 - February 1st, 2009, 10:29 am Post #49 - February 1st, 2009, 10:29 am
    My menu?

I'm gonna give Smokin M's another chance today.
    Hopefully they will be pushing out a bunch of fresh (not lingering around and dried out) product today.
    Superbowl take out bbq is becoming tradition ever since the one year when I had my heart set on trying Honey 1, and they weren't even answering the phone any more for orders, and I had to SETTLE for Barbara Ann's as a first time trial. I'm gonna try to avoid the urge to trek down to Ba's or to E 69th :wink: , but, if Smokin M's disappoints me again today, I will be writing them off for good. They've had enough time since my last visit to figure out how to use their smoker.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #50 - February 1st, 2009, 1:18 pm
    Post #50 - February 1st, 2009, 1:18 pm Post #50 - February 1st, 2009, 1:18 pm
    seebee wrote:My menu?

Hopefully they will be pushing out a bunch of fresh (not lingering around and dried out) product today.
    Superbowl take out bbq is becoming tradition ever since the one year when I had my heart set on trying Honey 1, and they weren't even answering the phone any more for orders, and I had to SETTLE for Barbara Ann's as a first time trial. I'm gonna try to avoid the urge to trek down to Ba's or to E 69th :wink: , but, if Smokin M's disappoints me again today, I will be writing them off for good. They've had enough time since my last visit to figure out how to use their smoker.

Funny. We're thinking along those same lines. Put in an order at Honey1 early today for a slab and some wings to make sure we don't get shut out. Seemed like a perfect Super Bowl meal.

(HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!)
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #51 - February 1st, 2009, 1:21 pm
    Post #51 - February 1st, 2009, 1:21 pm Post #51 - February 1st, 2009, 1:21 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote: 6 pork butts as well as a few invites to friends ;)

Nice picture, puts me in the mood for BBQ, but, then again, what doesn't. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #52 - February 1st, 2009, 1:25 pm
    Post #52 - February 1st, 2009, 1:25 pm Post #52 - February 1st, 2009, 1:25 pm
    Ham & Cheese omelets for breakfast. Both Beef and Pork Lion Ribs and a couple kinds of Italian sausage. It's a meat-tastik day!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #53 - February 1st, 2009, 1:34 pm
    Post #53 - February 1st, 2009, 1:34 pm Post #53 - February 1st, 2009, 1:34 pm
    stevez wrote: Pork Lion Ribs

Rooaarrrrr!!!! [MGM Lion growling]

Make sure to wash down with some vodak.
  • Post #54 - February 1st, 2009, 1:58 pm
    Post #54 - February 1st, 2009, 1:58 pm Post #54 - February 1st, 2009, 1:58 pm
    I have what feels a little like a Sandra Lee vegetarian lasagna in the oven now. I opened a few containers and dumped them into a lasagna pan. Difference is, my containers were full of thawed local produce that I froze last summer. A puree of height-of-season roasted tomatoes and garlic, and some blanched spigarello that I cooked today with some nutmeggy bechamel. Added some stravecchio and fontina cheeses purchased today, and brushed the pan with very garlicky oil from a batch of roasted garlic. I even cheated with no-boil dried lasagna noodles. Will serve with toasted garlic bread and beer.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #55 - February 1st, 2009, 3:11 pm
    Post #55 - February 1st, 2009, 3:11 pm Post #55 - February 1st, 2009, 3:11 pm
    Santander wrote:
    stevez wrote: Pork Lion Ribs

Rooaarrrrr!!!! [MGM Lion growling]

Make sure to wash down with some vodak.

LOL. I ma cixelsyd.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #56 - February 1st, 2009, 8:57 pm
    Post #56 - February 1st, 2009, 8:57 pm Post #56 - February 1st, 2009, 8:57 pm
    seebee wrote:My menu?

Well, once again, the fries were good.

I'll have to go visit my q therapist over on e 69th sometime soon. REAL soon.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #57 - February 2nd, 2009, 9:09 am
    Post #57 - February 2nd, 2009, 9:09 am Post #57 - February 2nd, 2009, 9:09 am
    Good food, pretty good game although I did not have a horse in that race.

Wings were excellent(the brine did its job, moist and falvorfull meat, crisp skin). Guacamole was good as always, as well as the crab legs. The star for me was the Muffaletta with its over 2 lbs. of Mortadella, capicola, genoa salami,and provolone. That and almost 2 jars of the olive salad made it a winner for me. Thats whats for breakfast in a few minutes for sure..

sauced wings:

guacamole w/blue corn tortillas:

Muffaletta(whole):

Muffaletta(sliced):

steamed snow crab legs:
  • Post #58 - February 2nd, 2010, 8:41 am
    Post #58 - February 2nd, 2010, 8:41 am Post #58 - February 2nd, 2010, 8:41 am
    Next to Thanksgiving, and New Years Eve, the SUper Bowl has to be one of my favorite food holidays to cook for at home. A chance for friends, and family to get together, eat drink, and have fun(I take the day after off every year to recover). You dont even have to like football, at my house the game is on in HD, but the food & drink is what its about, even sports hating curmudgeons have fun. Folks who dislike Super Bowl parties just havent been to a good one imho.

This year should be a good one, although last years menu will be tough to top particularly that bad ass muffaletta I did.

Planning on hitting Restaurant Depot Friday or Saturday to stock up on some items for the party and beyond.

Here's my menu as of today:

-Smoked, bone in pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches - halftime
    -homemade cole slaw
    -BB ribs - appetizer
    -honey glazed smoked pork belly - appetizer
    -homemeade smoked pork, sausage, rice and okra gumbo - halftime

of course the beer, tequila, and bourbon will flow.
    Last edited by jimswside on February 2nd, 2010, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #59 - February 2nd, 2010, 12:05 pm
    Post #59 - February 2nd, 2010, 12:05 pm Post #59 - February 2nd, 2010, 12:05 pm
    Great menu, Jim!
  • Post #60 - February 2nd, 2010, 12:20 pm
    Post #60 - February 2nd, 2010, 12:20 pm Post #60 - February 2nd, 2010, 12:20 pm
    tgoddess wrote:Great menu, Jim!

thanks, Im looking forward to some gumbo for sure..

looks like im the only one having a party. :D

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more