LTH Home

Guilty Pleasures?

Guilty Pleasures?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 9
  • Post #121 - November 13th, 2009, 11:22 am
    Post #121 - November 13th, 2009, 11:22 am Post #121 - November 13th, 2009, 11:22 am
    Octarine wrote:I've never had a pizza puff that has come close to the deep fried ones I had at Evanston Twp HS back in the late 80's. Those were awesome.

My guess would be that us Catholic girls at Trinity High School in River Forest were eating pizza puffs from the same supplier in the late 90s. A pizza puff with a side of soggy shoestring fries was probably the most popular lunch back then (and possibly now). I don't know if it has anything to do with my lapsed Catholicism, but the thought of a pizza puff and those fries now...ewww... :| :wink:
  • Post #122 - November 13th, 2009, 1:14 pm
    Post #122 - November 13th, 2009, 1:14 pm Post #122 - November 13th, 2009, 1:14 pm
    mclarksox wrote:Pizza puffs/pizza rolls

I've been really nostalgic for the old Wicker Park Dog- right at the corner in the Flat Iron Building, gone since 2000ish? A staple of my formative years slumming around WP in the late 90's. I think my craving has something to do with all the talk about good hotdog stand fresh cut, double fried fries around here these days and also the crazy price tag that they come with at certain "chef-run" hotdog/hamburger places. WP Dog had the best, huge-ass, dollar bags of perfect fries that were just the trick for soaking up the late night drink. And the pizza puff combo was $2 I believe for that special occasion. Damn I miss that.
  • Post #123 - November 13th, 2009, 3:44 pm
    Post #123 - November 13th, 2009, 3:44 pm Post #123 - November 13th, 2009, 3:44 pm
    Jefe wrote:
    mclarksox wrote:Pizza puffs/pizza rolls

I've been really nostalgic for the old Wicker Park Dog- right at the corner in the Flat Iron Building, gone since 2000ish? A staple of my formative years slumming around WP in the late 90's. I think my craving has something to do with all the talk about good hotdog stand fresh cut, double fried fries around here these days and also the crazy price tag that they come with at certain "chef-run" hotdog/hamburger places. WP Dog had the best, huge-ass, dollar bags of perfect fries that were just the trick for soaking up the late night drink. And the pizza puff combo was $2 I believe for that special occasion. Damn I miss that.

What about Burger Baron, which can't be too far from you? Not "chef-run," and their fries I think are just over a $1. They have pizza puffs, too. (Coincidentally, they're just a stone's throw from Iltaco, the supposed inventor of pizza puffs, which is on Hubbard, but they have a big color pizza puff photo on Grand, just a few doors down from Burger Baron. I stare at both too frequently while waiting at 6am for the westbound Grand Ave. bus. It's a wonder I don't have dreams about pizza puffs...)
  • Post #124 - November 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm
    Post #124 - November 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm Post #124 - November 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:
    Octarine wrote:I've never had a pizza puff that has come close to the deep fried ones I had at Evanston Twp HS back in the late 80's. Those were awesome.

My guess would be that us Catholic girls at Trinity High School in River Forest were eating pizza puffs from the same supplier in the late 90s.

Well that sux. They baked ours at Fenwick...lol :D
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #125 - November 13th, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Post #125 - November 13th, 2009, 4:18 pm Post #125 - November 13th, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Jewel often has Pizza Puffs in their fried chicken counter.

They're not always fresh and crisp, but I've never seen them priced over $1.29, and they're sometimes as low as $1 -- compared with the $1.99 to $2.99 typical at hot-dog purveyors.

Yes, they're nasty in some ways, but the flaky fried crust is quite nice. If I remember right, they're manufactured by a taco company or something like that... ah here it is:
    Iltaco Foods

They also manufacture burritos, and I suspect our friend the Puff is nothing more than an Italian-filled burrito. Which is funny because nobody fries those food-service burritos anymore. I remember they were a staple at hot dog stands too, before "healthy" Mex food became more common. Little Louie's in Northbrook used to sell them quite cheaply deep fried, as did the lunch counter at the Deerbrook Venture, where I worked as a teen (and wouldn't trust anything that hadn't been in 300-degree hot fat from the folks that worked there).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #126 - November 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm
    Post #126 - November 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm Post #126 - November 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm
    Italco's site says they've been making frozen food since 1927. That makes them a frozen food pioneer. Birdseye claims the dawn of the industry was Clarence's invention of a process in '23 and that the first flash-frozen foods were widely available to the public in '30.
  • Post #127 - November 13th, 2009, 4:55 pm
    Post #127 - November 13th, 2009, 4:55 pm Post #127 - November 13th, 2009, 4:55 pm
    seebee wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:

My guess would be that us Catholic girls at Trinity High School in River Forest were eating pizza puffs from the same supplier in the late 90s.

Indeed. I was going to add that the pizza puffs at Fenwick in the early-mid 90s were certainly no better than anything else that cafeteria offered. Which is to say, I brought my own lunch from home the vast majority of the time :lol:
  • Post #128 - November 13th, 2009, 5:01 pm
    Post #128 - November 13th, 2009, 5:01 pm Post #128 - November 13th, 2009, 5:01 pm
    seebee wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:

Haha. Destiny! I was going to go to Fenwick, but girls were still pretty new to the mix there so I opted for Trinity. Whew! Baked pizza puffs?!
  • Post #129 - November 13th, 2009, 10:26 pm
    Post #129 - November 13th, 2009, 10:26 pm Post #129 - November 13th, 2009, 10:26 pm
    1) Fried egg & bacon sammich, ww toast, dressed with either Ketchepeno or Ketchipotle. David Schy, I salute you, wherever you are.

2) P-nut butter, bacon, & avocado, WW toast. I used to top this w/sprouts, back in the 70's, when I was in HS/college out west, man, but they are definitely not necessary. A good sprinkle of sea salt on the avocado perfects it.

Regarding the latter, I seriously think that a person could easily live on this combination indefinitely; a mild organic cheddar or jack is a very nice addition. You'll leave a good-lookin' corpse, at any rate. 8)
  • Post #130 - November 13th, 2009, 11:56 pm
    Post #130 - November 13th, 2009, 11:56 pm Post #130 - November 13th, 2009, 11:56 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:
    seebee wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:I've never had a pizza puff that has come close to the deep fried ones I had at Evanston Twp HS back in the late 80's. Those were awesome.

I went to Ignatius and all I got were these lousy Bosco sticks...

• Post #131 - November 14th, 2009, 6:19 am
    Post #131 - November 14th, 2009, 6:19 am Post #131 - November 14th, 2009, 6:19 am

happy_stomach wrote:My guess would be that us Catholic girls at Trinity High School in River Forest were eating pizza puffs from the same supplier in the late 90s.

seebee wrote:Well that sux. They baked ours at Fenwick...lol :D

ucjames wrote:I was going to add that the pizza puffs at Fenwick in the early-mid 90s were certainly no better than anything else that cafeteria offered. Which is to say, I brought my own lunch from home the vast majority of the time :lol:

Stephen wrote:I went to Ignatius and all I got were these lousy Bosco sticks...

This is sooo a McSweeney's piece begging to be written: "Dispatch from Chicago: The Oozy Dough-Wrapped Foods Served in Catholic/Prep School Cafeterias in the Late 80s-90s Recalled by the Foodies Who Ate Them (or Didn't)."
  • Post #132 - November 15th, 2009, 10:15 am
    Post #132 - November 15th, 2009, 10:15 am Post #132 - November 15th, 2009, 10:15 am
    One time when I was at school in Madison we found a Chicago style fast food joint with beef, dogs etc located on the other side of town. So me and my roomate drove over one morning to get some grease grub and soak up the alcohol from the previous night. We walked in and I went up to the counter and the first thing I asked the lady working was "are your pizza puffs Iltaco?"

She looked at the other lady working with her and they both gave a "WTF is this kid talking about" look to each other and had no idea what I meant. "They're pizza puffs" she said "not tacos". So yes I have always loved and still do, be it once a year if that, some ILTACO pizza puffs.

Another one of my guilty pleasures that stems from childhood eats is a gravy bread packed with fries from Pop's. Used to eat these all the time when I would hang with my cousins at my grandmas place back in the day.

Gravy Bread with fries in between
  • Post #133 - November 15th, 2009, 10:53 am
    Post #133 - November 15th, 2009, 10:53 am Post #133 - November 15th, 2009, 10:53 am
    I just love a basic Tombstone cheese pizza. For some reason, all of the elements seem just right to me, to the point that any of the top dine-in thin-crust pizzas around town don't seem significantly better.
    Heresy, I know.
  • Post #134 - November 15th, 2009, 11:52 am
    Post #134 - November 15th, 2009, 11:52 am Post #134 - November 15th, 2009, 11:52 am
    OK, some love for the Panera Bread breakfast souffle -- my fave being the spinach and bacon, although the spinach and artichoke will also do. I know they're not the healthiest breakfast option out there -- high in fat and 400+ calories -- but they're so rich that I'm satisfied with tiny bites and my breakfast lasts much longer than if I had an egg mcmuffin in front of me. And it's a dish that I can't easily duplicate at home.
    >>Brent

"Yankee bean soup, cole slaw and tuna surprise."
  • Post #135 - November 15th, 2009, 6:34 pm
    Post #135 - November 15th, 2009, 6:34 pm Post #135 - November 15th, 2009, 6:34 pm
    For me, there's at least three kinds of guilty foods: trashy, baby animals, and stupidly expensive. For instance, crab rangoon, Wiener schnitzel, and $10 chocolate bars, or the Monday double cheeseburger special at Odge's (Damen and Superior), suckling pig, and Nøgne Ø beer.
    "The life of a repo man is always intense."
  • Post #136 - November 16th, 2009, 12:06 am
    Post #136 - November 16th, 2009, 12:06 am Post #136 - November 16th, 2009, 12:06 am
    I think we all have a different definition of guilty pleasures...just as we all feel guilty about different things in life.

For me (and I suspect many others) many guilty pleasures are things inherently linked to our childhoods and just plain don't make any sense...people just don't understand why we would like something like that.

My example: McDonald's Double Cheeseburger plain...why? I have no idea....I never like plain burgers and don't really like McDonalds. Well...I really do know...because I ate one for lunch as a child, back when I liked everything plain! This plain item, for some reason, stayed with me as my palate evolved....
  • Post #137 - November 16th, 2009, 8:38 am
    Post #137 - November 16th, 2009, 8:38 am Post #137 - November 16th, 2009, 8:38 am
    Last weekend I made myself a crunchy peanut butter and bacon sandwich. It would have been more pleasurable had I not cooked the bacon to crispy status, but it was pretty tasty. I felt very naughty and I plan to do it again.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #138 - November 16th, 2009, 9:52 am
    Post #138 - November 16th, 2009, 9:52 am Post #138 - November 16th, 2009, 9:52 am
    Pie Lady wrote:Last weekend I made myself a crunchy peanut butter and bacon sandwich. It would have been more pleasurable had I not cooked the bacon to crispy status, but it was pretty tasty. I felt very naughty and I plan to do it again.

I thought I was the only person who ever at PB&bacon sandwiches. My "guilty pleasure" is a version of this: PB & breakfast sausage on my pancakes for breakfast. On a cold, winter Sunday morning, this brings back childhood memories and hits the spot.
  • Post #139 - November 16th, 2009, 6:18 pm
    Post #139 - November 16th, 2009, 6:18 pm Post #139 - November 16th, 2009, 6:18 pm
    tgoddess wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:Last weekend I made myself a crunchy peanut butter and bacon sandwich. It would have been more pleasurable had I not cooked the bacon to crispy status, but it was pretty tasty. I felt very naughty and I plan to do it again.

I thought I was the only person who ever at PB&bacon sandwiches. My "guilty pleasure" is a version of this: PB & breakfast sausage on my pancakes for breakfast. On a cold, winter Sunday morning, this brings back childhood memories and hits the spot.

I was never a big fan of breakfast sausage because of the hard little white dealies, but I do remember dipping fatty bacon into syrup that rolled off the pancakes, and now all I want is bacon-in-a-blanket.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #140 - November 16th, 2009, 6:25 pm
    Post #140 - November 16th, 2009, 6:25 pm Post #140 - November 16th, 2009, 6:25 pm

I like mine with smooth peanut butter and the slightest drizzle of honey. No guilt. :D
  • Post #141 - November 17th, 2009, 10:51 am
    Post #141 - November 17th, 2009, 10:51 am Post #141 - November 17th, 2009, 10:51 am
    Hostess Honey Buns. I don't know why I am so drawn to these things. Maybe it's the heavy layer of white frosting on top of the stale bun.

Also, Jack-in-the-Box tacos, but only after midnight and while highly intoxicated. Burger King's version seems to be a close contender.

I also love Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, made with a half can of water. I've been eating this since I moved out of the house over thirty years ago. Nobody in my house will touch it except me.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #142 - November 17th, 2009, 11:13 am
    Post #142 - November 17th, 2009, 11:13 am Post #142 - November 17th, 2009, 11:13 am
    I just love a basic Tombstone cheese pizza. For some reason, all of the elements seem just right to me, to the point that any of the top dine-in thin-crust pizzas around town don't seem significantly better.
    Heresy, I know.

Every once in a while I can do a Tombstone, but it's a far cry from their original recipe. A true guilty pleasure for me was going fishing in Wisconsin with my dad in the early 70's and we'd stop at some local tavern where they had the ubiquitous Tombstone toaster-oven on the back bar. Now that pizza was memorable.
  • Post #143 - November 17th, 2009, 11:34 am
    Post #143 - November 17th, 2009, 11:34 am Post #143 - November 17th, 2009, 11:34 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Heresy, I know.

Every once in a while I can do a Tombstone, but it's a far cry from their original recipe. A true guilty pleasure for me was going fishing in Wisconsin with my dad in the early 70's and we'd stop at some local tavern where they had the ubiquitous Tombstone toaster-oven on the back bar. Now that pizza was memorable.

What is it about Wisconsin, local taverns & Tombstone pizzas that's such a magic combination? I go to an annual guys' weekend on a lake in the middle of nowhere (an hour north of Green Bay), and one of the things we look forward to is tying one on around the campfire, then heading two cabins over to the local tavern and eating every Tombstone pizza in their freezer. When the poor bartender tells us they're out, things get rowdy. I think you're onto something, it's gotta be that Tombstone toaster thingie.
  • Post #144 - November 17th, 2009, 11:41 am
    Post #144 - November 17th, 2009, 11:41 am Post #144 - November 17th, 2009, 11:41 am
    happy_stomach wrote: This is sooo a McSweeney's piece begging to be written: "Dispatch from Chicago: The Oozy Dough-Wrapped Foods Served in Catholic/Prep School Cafeterias in the Late 80s-90s Recalled by the Foodies Who Ate Them (or Didn't)."

Too funny - I work at Guerin Prep and I just had the Bosco sticks for lunch. :) I believe we all use the same kitchen management company: Quest

Now for my guilty pleasure: Dean's French Onion Dip. The one that is spelled Dipzz. Its made with sour cream and has cholesteral in it....not like the one you see EVERYWHERE that is cholesteral free. Must have the Dipzz with Frito Lay Wavy Chips. That and a glass full of ice and pepsi - add any of the Housewives series in there and I'm in heaven.
  • Post #145 - November 17th, 2009, 1:39 pm
    Post #145 - November 17th, 2009, 1:39 pm Post #145 - November 17th, 2009, 1:39 pm
    seebee wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:

The NAV MAN was all over those Chicken Poppers on a thursday-basis, that BBQ sauce had a real sweet tang to it. It wasnt uncommon to also knock down a pair of those chocolate chip cookies; the best friar export since Corey Maggette.
    Cheetos are my favorite snack atm.
  • Post #146 - November 17th, 2009, 1:49 pm
    Post #146 - November 17th, 2009, 1:49 pm Post #146 - November 17th, 2009, 1:49 pm
    One of my Dad’s weird ones was a big glass (~qt size)
    containing several slices of torn-up white bread
    topped off with milk, then eaten with a spoon.

Growing up, if we had gravy (usually from pork chops),
    I would have a couple slices of bread topped with gravy
    as my dessert.
  • Post #147 - November 17th, 2009, 1:51 pm
    Post #147 - November 17th, 2009, 1:51 pm Post #147 - November 17th, 2009, 1:51 pm
    sdritz wrote:I also love Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup, made with a half can of water. I've been eating this since I moved out of the house over thirty years ago. Nobody in my house will touch it except me.
    Suzy

Im with you on the bean with bacon soup, but not a guilty pleasure for me, I honestly like the stuff, and so does my daughter. :)
  • Post #148 - November 17th, 2009, 1:58 pm
    Post #148 - November 17th, 2009, 1:58 pm Post #148 - November 17th, 2009, 1:58 pm
    Not so much a guilty pleasure as a trashy one, and in the vein of the bean soup upthread - baked beans cooked with a couple of cut up Vienna dogs or polishes and a jalapeno or two chopped roughly. Serve with Annie's mac and cheese.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #149 - November 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm
    Post #149 - November 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm Post #149 - November 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm
    Did I already mention Cinnamon Melts (TM) at McDonald's?

(@Wiv - woe betide thee, the McFib approacheth...)
  • Post #150 - November 17th, 2009, 2:43 pm
    Post #150 - November 17th, 2009, 2:43 pm Post #150 - November 17th, 2009, 2:43 pm
    Aunt Annie's pretzel. With salt.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more