Chefs

Posted October 2nd 2009, 7:59pm
ryanwc wrote:
makemedinner wrote:This isn't so much of an announcement as much as a request to any entrepreneurs that may check out this site:

Can someone please, please, please open up something at Western and Grand that serves breakfast? Waiting for the 65 Grand wastes minutes of my life as it is, but doing it in winter is so brutal. Pretty sure the rents are significantly cheaper than other areas!

Just by way of a marketing survey, how many days a week do you eat breakfast?

Ideally, I'd like to eat it every day. Unfortunately, I spend Monday through Friday running to catch the Western Express, which often passes me when I am only a few feet away. The bus driver often acknowledges my effort, but continues on their way. Then, I struggle to catch any other passing buses or power walk my fat ass to the blue line. Now that Vella is gone, breakfast is often a cup of coffee. If I'm lucky, I'll have a health muffin from Sip or some pastry from Red Hen. I am also shamelessly addicted to Starbucks breakfast sandwiches. Makes me miss being unemployed. I eat brunch every weekend, of course.

Posted October 2nd 2009, 10:45pm
makemedinner wrote:Unfortunately, I spend Monday through Friday running to catch the Western Express, which often passes me when I am only a few feet away. The bus driver often acknowledges my effort, but continues on their way.

I'm sure you at least provide some entertainment for the bus passengers.
Posted October 4th 2009, 12:47am
Josephine wrote:Just now getting around to posting this, but two weeks ago I drove by Sh. Rustaveli, the Georgian place in Skokie, and the windows were papered over. Can anyone fill me in?

Stopped by today to take a closer look, and--while every storefront around them is papered over--Sh. Rustaveli is not.... Still the same rather bedraggled curtains in the window. They were not open today, however, it appears--either on my way out Dempster in the early afternoon or on my way home in the early evening.

Also on Dempster, bad news--the "Coming Soon--Kabul House" sign has been replaced with one announcing "Coming Soon--State Farm Agency" with a smaller sign advertising additional office space for rent.... :(

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
Posted October 4th 2009, 5:14pm
tarte tatin wrote:
Josephine wrote:Just now getting around to posting this, but two weeks ago I drove by Sh. Rustaveli, the Georgian place in Skokie, and the windows were papered over. Can anyone fill me in?

Stopped by today to take a closer look, and--while every storefront around them is papered over--Sh. Rustaveli is not.... Still the same rather bedraggled curtains in the window. They were not open today, however, it appears--either on my way out Dempster in the early afternoon or on my way home in the early evening.

The past few weeks I've driven by, they've appeared to be closed, even on Friday and Saturday nights. Calling, I get the message "Your call cannot go through." But I have occasionally seen their minivan parked in front.

tarte tatin wrote:Also on Dempster, bad news--the "Coming Soon--Kabul House" sign has been replaced with one announcing "Coming Soon--State Farm Agency" with a smaller sign advertising additional office space for rent.... :(

That is bad news. I've seen dumpsters and evidence of workers there; I was hoping it meant the opening of the new Kabul House was imminent.

Posted October 5th 2009, 9:00pm
On the Randhurst front:
Mount Prospect Journal wrote:T-Mobile opened this past Wednesday (Sept. 30) and Chipotle Mexican Grill is expected to open on Oct. 16. Five Guys Burgers and Fries is on track to open at the end of October or beginning of November. Conroy said the company hasn't yet given him an exact opening date.
Another sandwich shop is expected to move in but a lease has not been signed so Conroy could not comment any further on who it will be.
"It's something similar to Five Guys," said Conroy. "Very popular in other parts of the country, but not well-known in the Chicago area."

Source

Care to speculate? Chick-Fil-A perhaps?

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
-- Lin Yutang
Posted October 5th 2009, 10:28pm
RIP, Mandarin in Rogers Park. I'll miss their bi bim bop and the friendly family who ran the place. Sign in the window promises a sushi restaurant.

Mandarin Restaurant
6803 N. Sheridan Rd., Chicago
Tel: (773) 465-1299

"Why don't you dance with me? I'm not no Limburger."
Posted October 6th 2009, 6:41am
Jacky's on Prairie, Central Street in Evanston will have their Grand (re)Opening October 7th 2009.

They now have their menu online.

http://www.jackysbistro.com/
Posted October 6th 2009, 10:17am
JoelF wrote:On the Randhurst front:
Mount Prospect Journal wrote:T-Mobile opened this past Wednesday (Sept. 30) and Chipotle Mexican Grill is expected to open on Oct. 16. Five Guys Burgers and Fries is on track to open at the end of October or beginning of November. Conroy said the company hasn't yet given him an exact opening date.
Another sandwich shop is expected to move in but a lease has not been signed so Conroy could not comment any further on who it will be.
"It's something similar to Five Guys," said Conroy. "Very popular in other parts of the country, but not well-known in the Chicago area."

Source

Fatburger?
Posted October 6th 2009, 10:43am

Source

Maybe Smashburger. They said they are opening 11 stores in the Chicagoland area.

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
Posted October 6th 2009, 10:44am
I have trouble believing Five Guys wouldn't have a deal with the shopping center to be the exclusive burger place, so I think Fatburger/Smashburger are unlikely..

Ed Fisher
my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
Posted October 6th 2009, 10:48am
happy_stomach wrote:
Pucca wrote:
makemedinner wrote:This isn't so much of an announcement as much as a request to any entrepreneurs that may check out this site:

Can someone please, please, please open up something at Western and Grand that serves breakfast? Waiting for the 65 Grand wastes minutes of my life as it is, but doing it in winter is so brutal. Pretty sure the rents are significantly cheaper than other areas!

There is a coffee & sandwich shopping that is preparing to open at Artesian & Hubbard by the Western Ave. Metra Stop. The name escapes me right now. I will edit it when I remember.

Any update on this? I've been spending a lot of time in this area (though only as far west as Leavitt/Bell off Grand), and I would love to see new food options, especially open after 8pm. There seems to be a significant number of new tenants moving into the area, and, yes, the 65 Grand bus is horrible. In fact, it may just be what I dread most about this winter. :x

It's called Grand Coffee Shop and Grand Sandwich Place. I knew it was something generic and vague. There has been a sign for Opening Soon for months now. Since I am only at the train station in the morning & evening, it's hard to know if there has been any progress on the inside.
Posted October 6th 2009, 8:47pm
Chitown B wrote:

Source

Fatburger?

My guess is Jersey Mike's- there's currently locations in Vernon Hills, Naperville and Gurnee.

Anyone been there? Are they good?
Posted October 7th 2009, 1:39pm
My guess is Jersey Mike's- there's currently locations in Vernon Hills, Naperville and Gurnee.

Anyone been there? Are they good?

Jersey Mike's is coming to Streets of Woodfield (near Jamba Juice).

A look at their website/menu did not inspire confidence that this will be anything special.

http://www.jerseymikes.com/

Posted October 7th 2009, 3:42pm
yeah, not good - in the subway-quizno vicinity.
Posted October 7th 2009, 5:50pm
ab wrote:yeah, not good - in the subway-quizno vicinity.

definitely a step above subway/quiznos. the meat is sliced fresh when your sandwich is ordered...that alone puts it a notch above.

nothing that will blow your mind, but a decent sub.
Posted October 7th 2009, 6:14pm
Meanwhile in Berwyn...

Trying to open since May (but being held up on inspections) in the old Cappuccino's space at 7111 Harlem is Los Anafrez Taqueria and Grill.

Interior appears finished and ready to go with napkins on the tables and pans behind the counter.

Last round of inspections... Hand-washing and mop sink and ADA accessible restrooms.

Talked to the owner of the beauty supply in the same strip mall and the owners might be losing interest with all of the trouble.

"Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
Posted October 8th 2009, 10:00am
Update on the old powerhouse space -

"New City Tavern" is opening on October 13th at 4:30pm. I poked my head through the window - looks like the more "casual" part of powerhouse got a fresh coat of paint, some new upholstery and pictures of trains. As long as they can improve on the lousy, indifferent customer service from the previous tennants, it can only be an improvement. I am not expecting anything more than the standard bar fare, but hopefully it will be a good addition to the neighborhood.

As for the Prairie Fire part of the space -- it was all papered up.

Posted October 8th 2009, 8:07pm
Black Beetle was papered up today - anyone know the deal?
Posted October 8th 2009, 8:38pm
from their twitter feed:

The Black Beetle has been sold! I am very sad and had no say in the matter. Goodbye to all the great customers !10:41 PM Oct 5th from web

http://twitter.com/blackbeetlebar
Posted October 8th 2009, 10:46pm
elakin wrote:from their twitter feed:

The Black Beetle has been sold! I am very sad and had no say in the matter. Goodbye to all the great customers !10:41 PM Oct 5th from web

http://twitter.com/blackbeetlebar

We noticed the paper up in the windows on Tuesday morning, but we thought they were just remodeling. I wonder what will go in its place.

Has anyone tried Baza?
Posted October 9th 2009, 10:51am
Attended a community meeting last night in which the owner and the head chef of Cuna came to introduce themselves to the organization. The concept of the place doesn't sound earth-shattering, but the head chef is Kendal Duque, formerly executive chef at Sepia. So that block of Belmont (between Seminary and Clifton) could become culinarily more interesting. From the website:

What is Cuna? We are an eclectic restaurant and contemporary bar located at 1113 W. Belmont Ave. Cuna is gourmet comfort foods and a taste of the exotic in one. It is when Mediterranean inspired cuisine meets the South Pacific, served with a generous portion of Americana.

Our unique menu features the latest culinary creations of Chef Kendal Duque, Best Chef: Great Lakes semi-finalist of the 2009 James Beard Award. We use fresh seasonal ingredients from land and sea to offer you a diverse menu selection to satisfy all appetites.

A menu on the website does sound pretty good. Entrees top out at $16.

If I remember correctly, the owner spoke of a November opening.
Posted October 9th 2009, 11:28am
I believe I read that Kendall Duque is consulting on that place, hence the "featuring the culinary creations of....". I don't think he will be the chef there on a day-to-day basis.

http://edzos.com/
Edzo's Evanston on Facebook or Twitter.

Edzo's Lincoln Park on Facebook or Twitter.
Posted October 9th 2009, 11:45am
elakin wrote:I believe I read that Kendall Duque is consulting on that place, hence the "featuring the culinary creations of....". I don't think he will be the chef there on a day-to-day basis.

You may be right about this; if so, it's something they artfully "finessed" at the community meeting. I could swear I heard the words "head chef," but without a transcript, I guess I can't really be sure. I know I came away with the impression that Duque will be the chef there in body as well as spirit.
Posted October 9th 2009, 3:39pm
Anyone know anything about Pasha at 804 w. Randoplh. I hear it is to be a tapas place. Just curious.
Posted October 9th 2009, 8:23pm
bobby z wrote:Anyone know anything about Pasha at 804 w. Randoplh. I hear it is to be a tapas place. Just curious.

http://chicago.metromix.com/restaurants ... 41/content

A bagel is a doughnut with the sin removed. ~George Rosenbaum
Posted October 9th 2009, 8:34pm
Spoke to someone at Kaze who told me they're just closed for repairs through mid-to-late October.

Got all the dirt from Joe today while getting my haircut at Sal's. Roscoe Village update:

1. Kaze is most likely not re-opening. They sold their deep fryer to the guy down the street (I'm guessing the guy mentioned above with sandwiches and charcuterie).

2. If Kaze is to reopen it most-likely will be with a different chef.

3. Costello's has been sold recently, nothing known about the new owners. Chris Costello sold both locations.
Posted October 9th 2009, 9:14pm
Knew is well new. It's at about 2600 W. Fullerton across from the Bob Inn. Sol, I think, was there before. I drove by the place on my home and couldn't stop. It seems to have a trendyish modern decor inside. No idea about the food though.
Posted October 10th 2009, 1:29pm
Aurora/Fox Valley

Lorenzo's Steakhouse, in the parking lot of Fox Valley Mall in Aurora, is closed for remodeling. It had been there since 1994, and was a high-end Italian restaurant. Sign says it will re-open as Basil's, serving Greek food. I don't know if it's the same owners, just different concept, or not.

Also, work is underway for an Indian restaurant in a little strip mall at Ogden & Fronterac. Looks like maybe it will be mostly carry-out.
Posted October 10th 2009, 4:12pm
A new, mostly Middle Eastern restaurant has opened in the former Skewers space on Lincoln with a grand opening sign attached to the awning. This storefront has quite a history of fairly short-lived restaurants. Skewers' closing was noted by whiskeybent in this thread on Jan. 24, 2009.

I picked up a menu, which seems pretty ambitious. Hours are 10 am to 10 pm seven days a week. Delivery begins at noon. They offer dine-in (byob, no corkage), carry out and catering. Prices run a bit higher than on Kedzie. Along with most of your Middle Eastern standards, there are some dishes that I do not recall seeing anywhere on Kedzie. There is a beef or chicken shawerma lunch special with choice of hummus, baba ghanouj, rice, tomato or dorshi for $8.00. Three beverages do not give a very good idea of orientation: Turkish coffee, Greek frappe coffee and Persian tea. Even the name is a bit muddled.

I think that they have quite a challenge ahead. Too many people in Lincoln Square seem rather unadventuresome where Middle Eastern food is concerned while the others are more likely to go to the nearby Kedzie strip where the restaurants tend to have pretty clear identities as well as lower prices and a less bad parking situation. Maintaining food quality with a broad menu could be an issue if business volume does not build up pretty quickly.

Mediterranean Grill and Cuisine
4609 N. Lincoln Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625
Phone 773-293-4491
Fax 773-292-4492
Posted October 10th 2009, 7:17pm
saluki9 wrote:
paulette wrote:The new place being built on Dundee and Pfingston is owned by Georgie V of the same name restaurant in downtown Northbrook. My understanding is it will serve lunch and dinner whereas Georgie V's serves breakfast and lunch. Don't know if it will be a Greek restaurant or a Greek coffee shop.
Paulette

Speaking of this location, I don't know if Georgie bothered to notice that in the suburbs people like to come to restaurants via automobiles. There is only room to park maybe 5 cars at this place.

This place is almost ready to open, and I for one am looking forward to a new Greek food place in the area.

Oh, and BTW, I pulled into the parking lot to count the spaces as the post above sounded like an exaggeration. It is. I counted 21 parking spaces. :D
Home Cookin'

Online Information