LTH Home

Grazing at Bellas Fuentes (Milanesa & Agua de Alfalfa)

Grazing at Bellas Fuentes (Milanesa & Agua de Alfalfa)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Grazing at Bellas Fuentes (Milanesa & Agua de Alfalfa)

Post #1 - September 11th, 2009, 12:04 pm
    Post #1 - September 11th, 2009, 12:04 pm Post #1 - September 11th, 2009, 12:04 pm
    You don't have to be a ruminant to enjoy alfalfa. This summer I've been taking advantage of alfalfa season by preparing my own soups and stews. I hadn't seen alfalfa (I'm not talking about the sprouts) on offer at any restaurant until the other day. While walking along 47th Street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood I noticed a couple handwritten signs on the door of Bellas Fuentes advertising this seasonal treat.

After I ordered, the server took a large bunch of alfalfa from the cooler in the dining room and headed to the kitchen.

A few minutes later I was presented with a striking green beverage. This is a great drink—herbaceous, not too sweet, very refreshing. I think it's simply water, alfalfa, lemon and sugar. I would definitely order it again.

The torta I also ordered was surprisingly good. The expertly fried cutlet on a nicely toasted bolillo came with only the simplest accompaniments—lettuce, tomato and a smear of beans. My only complaint was the rather boring table salsa (thinking back, I probably should have asked if they had another version). This first visit was good enough that I'll be sure to return.

Has anyone noticed alfalfa on other menus around town? You'd think with most every chef getting on the local/seasonal bandwagon it would be more common.

Bellas Fuentes
    1725 W 47th St
    Chicago
    773-247-1983
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2009, 12:56 pm
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2009, 12:56 pm Post #2 - September 11th, 2009, 12:56 pm
    Rene G, your ability to find the most fascinating, obscure, random, tasty stuff around town never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the heads-up...I can't say I've ever noticed alfalfa on menus around Pilsen, but after reading about Agua de Alfalfa, I'm tempted to make it. Would you use regular alfalfa sprouts? The drink looked mighty green--not sure if regular sprouts could produce such a color.

Edit: DOH! Just read your post on Shopping & Cooking. Definitely not sprouts. Answered my own question.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more