Square Bar & Grill on Belmont

Square Bar & Grill on Belmont
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Square Bar & Grill on Belmont

Post #1 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:34 pm
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:34 pm Post #1 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:34 pm
    Square Bar and Grill
    2849 W Belmont

Neat place, hard to imagine this was Mojo’s not too long ago. It seems much smaller somehow. The bar is on the west wall, interesting décor, local art on the walls apparently with lots of exposed brick. Four tops trace the outside walls, with the bar dominating the center of the room.

One glance at the menu and I’m worried. This place had everything. Too much. Burgers, sandwiches, wraps, pizzas, salads, a bunch of appetizers, all the generic standards you’d find anywhere without much originality. Sweet potato fries! With BBQ sauce! I do declare! Whenever a place has so much on the menu, I always think of how many unique items they must stock and the amount of food they must waste. You’d think that a new bar would start with a handful of great dishes/sandwiches/etc. and let demand dictate variety, but what do I know, I'm just an anonymous prick.

If they did have a specialty or at least something interesting, the bartendress wasn’t telling. She recommended the “Shrimp Wrap” and I almost spit out my beer.

“Really?” I snorted.
    “Yeah, it’s really spicy” She said.

So now I’m stuck ordering the Shrimp Wrap because I’d be a dick not to. I chose those aforementioned sweet potato fries. My kraut bride had a chicken sandwich with swiss and regular fries.

I should mention that it took me 15 minutes to remember what we ate there.

Shrimp Avocado Wrap: Was supposed to be “really spicy” but it really was just really drippy. As the tortilla lost integrity towards the end, it was not unlike holding full diaper from a child that is old enough to be potty trained..brown-orange semi-solids streaming from every weak point. It became a two handed affair which prevented me from taking regular pulls from my beer. Finally I let it drop to the tray and fall open like some horrible flower.

Chicken Swiss Sandwich: You’ve tasted chicken, you’ve tasted Swiss cheese, and you’ve tasted bread. Now imagine that somehow they were able to combine them in such a way that the whole is less exciting than the sum of its parts. Boring, bland and just simply sustenance. I took no joy in finishing her plate. But I did.

Was the food good? Well what we had was OK. Hard to give a high rating when there are so many other options in the vicinity. I’m not giving up, I will be back, I want to do a quick run through some of the other options before I pass judgement.

I don’t want to sour anyone on giving it a shot, I just wish they’d reign in their menu a bit…and come up with a reason to pick them over Orbit Room, or that burger king across the street.
  • Post #2 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:51 pm
    Post #2 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:51 pm Post #2 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:51 pm
    When I saw your screen name in the list of new posts, I was like "Oh hell yeah." Sure enough, you did not disappoint.

Thanks for the great review!
  • Post #3 - July 31st, 2009, 8:01 am
    Post #3 - July 31st, 2009, 8:01 am Post #3 - July 31st, 2009, 8:01 am
    Yikes. What a frightful meal. Went there last Monday on a whim. I noticed the menu had a philly cheesesteak and the boyfriend, he loves him some philly cheesesteak. We started with overly greasy coconut shrimp with a tooth meltingly sweet sauce. I had a spicy chicken sandwich (too many jalapenos, good pretzel roll--are these everywhere now or what!) and the limpest, saddest, greasiest french fries ever. My man had (guess!) the philly cheesesteak--he asked to add mozzerella to the white american cheese that came on it. Unfortch, it actually came with yellow cheese sauce. The steak was not steak, but was roast beef, and it was all smushed up on one side of the sandwich, so when he went to bite into the other half, there was nothing but cheese sauce, mozz and green peppers. The only thing we liked was that we saw an old friend there and that they had one of our fave summer beers: Domaine DuPage. Think twice before wasting calories on these soggy fries and sad entrees.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more